PDA

View Full Version : WtF first time game

Lass
03-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Im set to begin a a Werewolf the Forsaken game over maptools with voice. Now its my first go at nWoD and luckily most of the players are equal n00bs to myself in the system though all of us are experienced gamers. So my question is this, over a virtual platform how might you all suggest setting the mood and feel for a horror game?

Also as a first time nWoD GM what are some things I should prepare for that may be a sticking point to this game rather than say a Shadowrun, DnD or Mutants and Masterminds game?

DireMosquito
03-10-2010, 05:16 AM
One thing that you have complete control of in the beginning is the background, so you can use that to you advantage and set the scene by describing things in some nice detail that allows the players to become more immersed in the scene. It's often a good idea to give each of the senses something to play with. For instance, it could be set in a dark room with only the sound of dripping water nearby. The smell is musty and you feel like you are laying on a cold, hard surface. Your mouth is dry, or has a bitter aftertaste of something etc. That way, you can appeal to players who see and feel things differently and you can add layers of atmosphere.

Also colour the chat window or whatever you are using to be something dark and drab and it would really help if everyone is on a similar timezone and playing during the evening. Every little bit counts. I'd probably avoid loud music though, and keep all distractions as minimal as possible.

In this situation, a prelude for each character would be a really nice, easy intro into things where you can incorporate some of their past or present into the story - especially if you're all new to WOD.

WtF is much more of a pack mentality than something like VtR, so it will probably resemble D&D a lot more closely. Just make sure that each of the characters has a solid hook for being involved with the group. I'd get each of the players to give you an indication of what motivates and drives them and preferably some background material too. That way, you can use a bit of carrot and stick and you can customise the story according to their needs.

I hope that helps.

LordChicken
03-13-2010, 06:51 PM
My advice is no were near as good as DireMosquito, but my main problems when dealing with the Forsaken is forgetting all the little powers and penalties they got,

So I recommend aether a cheat sheet for the basic Werewolf Guide at hand, mostly covering CH 2:Character Creation and (I believe)CH 3:Special Rules.

But all and all if you forget something its no big deal, remember its just a game and have fun.

DireMosquito
03-14-2010, 04:13 AM
Thanks LordChicken.

One thing I neglected to mention is that; if your players are all new to the game, it might pay dividends to break them into the combat system with a couple of easier foes rather than throwing them straight into the deep end. Werewolves against non-organised humans might be a better option than putting them up against a rival pack or the might of the city's entire police force early on. If they handle that ok, then up the workload.

Also, be prepared for the chance that your game might stall. Your new players might not know which direction to go next, might not get your subtle hints or might want to head in another direction entirely. A backup plan that you can throw at the players is always good - preferably something that finds the characters rather than the other way 'round.

Happy gaming!