PDA

View Full Version : Traps

Dixon_West
03-03-2010, 06:53 AM
What is the most devious trap that has ever happened to you, or that you have had onto other players?

Mine: The party was on the top floor, and a pit trap (No biggie) they succeeded the DC: 10 reflex save I had set for it. Inside they saw on one side of the room, spikes on the wall, and on the other side, a wall with a bunch of holes in it. The floor had grinding marks indicating that the spiked wall moved from side to side. On the other side of the pit, was a lever, they pulled it. On the first floor of the dungeon, they found a door, that when opened led to the same room. They saw the spiked wall, the grind marks. One of the characters, runs across the floor fast, but the wall doesn't move. They realize this was because of the lever. He grabs onto the door knob, to open the other side of the door. A massive spring propels the door into the spiked wall, and the player couldn't get away because of the dc: 20 strength check, Adhesive on the door knob, and the DC: 20 reflex save that had to be made to avoid the spikes and dodge around the door. The strongest fighter had to pry him off of the spikes.

So yeah, again what is the most devious trap you put a party through, or that your party went through?

The Magic King
03-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Traps apparently aren't popular.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-09-2010, 03:59 PM
They are. I just found this thread. I'll be back shortly to add a few. Great thread BTW, The Magic King.

Geode
03-10-2010, 02:51 AM
When my DM was away, I hosted a casual game with the current group. We played with our character sheets from that DM. No EXP or items were granted. People revived after each room.
It was hilarious! I think I scared them into being true dungeon crawlers with my nefarious traps. If you want to use these in a real campaign, I'd recommend toning it down a bit. You won't have much of a party left by the last boss!

Melf's Acid Bog
Deaths: 2
Escapes: 2
Stars: * *
First, a gradual spiral stone ramp trails down in the center of the room. The bottom is about 4 X 4 squares with a 1 X 2 square altar. I generally leave a nice pile of gold on the altar or a delicious-looking weapon. I tell them that there are worn storm drains leading down into the bottom of the hole. There's always someone who wants to go get the treasure. As soon as they step on a square next to the altar, acid starts gushing down the storm drains. As turns go by, the acid level starts to rise. Oozes plop down from the ceiling and block the way for anyone trying to escape the cascade.
This one DID manage to kill some players off. A rogue got stuck behind an ooze and wasn't able to get out of the acid in time.

It's far too predictable for hard-core gamers to be deceived by. Acid resistance would completely destroy this trap. But it IS a good learning device for beginners. It's also quite funny to see your players scrambling back up the ramp. The careful players who chose not to descend get to laugh as well.

Shiva's Arms
Deaths: 4 (1 was technically incapacitated, not quite dead)
Escapes: 2
Stars: * * *

Here's the setting: It's another pit. This one is circular. A 1-square-wide staircase hugs the wall as it descends to the next level. A large metal column in the middle of the room extends presumably to the ceiling and the floor. Glowing green liquid bubbles far below, suggesting a painful death should anyone fall.

As soon as a player moves 5 squares down, the column makes a tortured screeching of metal on metal. An enormous blade (or any awesome device of mutilation) sweeps down the course of the stairs. Another blade appears when 2 turns have passed. You can have the blade move at any speed you please, but I prefer it to move as fast or faster than the fleeing player's running speed. I represent the blade as a monster so that the players know exactly where it is. If the blade touches them, they take HEAVY damage. I've had a ranger try to jump over it, and a paladin try to outrun it. The ranger won.

At the bottom of the stairs is the control box in plain sight. Anyone can disarm it, not just rogues. If you want to be mean, make them roll an endurance check for running down stairs.

The Magic King
03-10-2010, 10:35 AM
They are. I just found this thread. I'll be back shortly to add a few. Great thread BTW, The Magic King.
I didn't actually start the thread, but I like how I got credit.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Oops, my apologies Dixon West. Thanks for pointing out my error, The Magic King.

Hiraevun
03-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Great thread! I love traps, but have a hard time coming up with devious ones. Thanks for the thread, The Magic King! :laugh: :p

I need to get some legos. When I was a kid, I used to devise dungeon-like landscapes out of legos, and as I remember, there were some trap-like legos in those landscapes. I think I need some kind of visual aid in order to come up with traps. I suppose I could invest in some dungeon tiles... I wonder if there is a trap dungeon tile set?

Anywho, the only trap scenario I've placed in my Dampbricks campaign so far was during their first dungeon crawl and it was this:

Down in the sewers, a villainous mage with a dark sense of humor set up a couple of traps in a dead end corridor. The first one consisted of a jagged plate of glass jutting out of the wall, about 8' up. The party's gnome noticed the glass, and they stopped to consider the situation. The paladin took up a chunk of debris and threw it at the plate, thinking to shatter it and thereby nullify the trap. The stone missed the plate, but arced through the air below it, setting off the alarm spell that the mage had placed there, which was keyed to a high enough pitch to shatter the glass. The glass plate exploded, raining shards and shrapnel, but the PCs were far enough back to not take damage.

Further east, the corridor ends in a monolithic block of stone with a series of carved grotesque faces scattered across its surface. Basically they are arranged as studs or hand-/footholds so that the PCs may attempt to climb the wall. They also notice an alcove about 15' up the block. When the PCs attempt to climb the wall, each face they touch screams out in alarm and cartoonish rage due to a magic mouth spell placed on it by the mage; things like, "Don't touch me there!" and "Jerk! Get your hand out of my eye!" When these mouths first speak, they trigger another magic mouth situated in the hall behind the PCs (the way they came into the area), which ominously calls for guards to "kill them all!" The PCs were then on edge, the tension ratcheted up a few notches, and I let them stew in that for a while before actually bringing the goblin guards down on them. Actually, I brought the goblins into the corridor once the PCs had finally made their way to the top of the monolith by forming a human pyramid. They were checking the alcove, and perhaps about to grab the paltry collection of contact-poisoned silver pieces that my villainous mage had placed there. I brought the goblins in at that point because I judged having someone fail a saving throw and die after all of that work to be too anti-climactic and discouraging less than an hour into their first dungeon excursion. Funny thing is, a couple of sessions later, the treasure-oriented PC was really trying to convince the others that they needed to go buy a ladder, struggle with it down into the sewers, and climb up and get those silver pieces. :rolleyes: :laugh: I didn't particularly want that to happen, so I reminded him that it seemed to be only a small collection of sp, and maybe not even enough to pay for a ladder. :lol:

Dixon_West
03-10-2010, 11:43 AM
s'alright I knew what you meant.

tesral
03-16-2010, 01:34 PM
One of my best? It has one kill from every single time the dungeon has been run.

Not going to tell you, I still run that Dungeon at cons.

cplmac
03-16-2010, 08:11 PM
One of my best? It has one kill from every single time the dungeon has been run.

Not going to tell you, I still run that Dungeon at cons.

Nice! Have you ever had anyone try doing that dungeon crawl more than once?

tesral
03-16-2010, 10:08 PM
The one on the other side kills as many.

traesin
03-20-2010, 12:46 AM
Have a hallway full of "click" plates. No prob right? after a few they think things are cool. that's when one goes off.

Have a room full of plush carpet. Only the fibers reach to the ceiling. Then add some giant cockroaches...

wbrandel
03-20-2010, 11:34 AM
How about this one. The party face a long hallway and above them are square columns 3 foot by 3 foot by 3 foot. As they walk down the hallway one player trips the trap which causes one of the columns to drop down on the PC. The rest of the party believing that thier buddy is dead move on, but the PC is actually inside a portable hole until the BBEG comes along to free the PC (usually after the PC has passed out from lack of oxygen).

My personal favorite is the double pit trap. What you have is 2 pit traps one right behind the other. The first one is fairly obvious and the second one is better concealed. The PCs see the first one and go to jump over it and land on the second one, and then falling into it.

tesral
03-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Another one I used was the dungeon halls that were a perfect flat black. No shadows. You could not see any of the features. It was well lit and you can see each other well, but you cannot make out the features of the halls, turns, corners, pits, drop ceilings.

Yes open pits and areas where the ceiling dropped well below head height.

The pixie was the fun one. Walking along she fell into a pit. Well she decided to fly after than smacked into a low celling section, staggered a few feet and fell into a pit.

Malruhn
03-21-2010, 10:06 PM
I was at GENCON back in the early 80's, and saw the worst time-waster trap ever.

Of course, it is only effective when the group is in a time crunch (4-hours to rescue a damsel, whatever).

You open a door (opens outward) and inside is a 15x15x10' high room. Balanced from a rope hanging from a hole in the exact center of the room is a HUGE spear - 10' long and 6" diameter, with a dull stone head on it. The spear sits slightly head-down, and is presently pointing at one of the far corners.

Investigation shows the spear is weighted about right for its size, and the corner that the spear seems to point to smells faintly of urine.

No matter what the party does, when they leave the area, the door will slam closed and they will hear a sound that is reminiscent of... a large spear spinning around and around, "Whoosh - whoosh - whoosh." When they dash back, the spear/rope/room is exactly the same as when they first opened the door. This happens even if they cut the rope, burned the spear, painted graffiti on the walls, whatever. If parts of the rope/spear were taken with, they vanished with the *BOOM* created by the slamming door.

The trap?

The spear does absolutely NOTHING. It is a total McGuffin to get the party to waste time. After using it several times, it appears to work EVERY time.

I would like to shove said spear into the eye socket of the bastage that invented that trap.

Geode
03-22-2010, 01:02 PM
A'ight, I've got another trap! Even the most experienced players will get caught by a booby-trapped bag of holding. 'Nuff said.

Soft Serve
03-22-2010, 01:12 PM
A pseudo-door that leads into a brick wall that's locked for DC20. Once unlocked or touched at all the floor in front of the door launches the player straight up into the ceiling smashing him for 2d6dmg, then the spring loaded floor comes back down just as fast as it went up leaving the player to fall 10ft for another 1d6 dmg, landing 10ft from the door (5ft from the spring pannel) and prone. This trap is versatile in that you can put spikes on the top or make the distance (and therefore damage) from the floor to the ceiling higher.

Another fun one was a narrow 5ft hallway that had a teleportation spell cast over it making the players just run back and forth along the same 25ft strip off hallway until after 3 laps one of the doors they open (door/teleporter) launches off it's hinges at 90mph dealing bludgeoning damage to anything within 15ft of it's starting position.

A puzzle/trap I made for a horror game had the hands of a clock move 12 hours behind the current time. The players would eventually discover they had to reset the clock to open a secret door. If the players twisted the hands clockwise the clock would release a stream of napalm into the room from it's face and four other jets in the corners. If the hands were turned counter-clockwise the door would open.

I've got more, but no time. Sorry!