PDA

View Full Version : New DM

Dixon_West
03-02-2010, 07:53 PM
So my friend is new to DMing. He wants to try a new role playing system, that nobody is really familiar with, except one person in the group who is VAGUELY understanding of the rules. He understands the 3.5 really well, and I think he should stat with that, my friends however, think it is a good thing he is going to start with others, because if he starts with what we are used to, and we criticize him, than it will make him look worse, than if he haphazardly goes into a new game that nobody is really familiar with, and we have half a week to find and study.

Ethical question:

Should he DM the new system, or the old system for his first time?

rabkala
03-02-2010, 10:25 PM
I would go with the old system as a new DM. He can use the players familiarity to his advantage.
It is like your favorite pair of jeans that just feel right. It is like your favorite food, people can find comfort in it even if it is not the the best they have ever had.
He can turn players into 'helpers' to cut down on criticism, distrust, and unease. People like to feel as if they are part of the solution. Before long, it will be smooth sailing.

Don't get me wrong, new things can be great. Sometimes you need a new perspective or a fresh start... but...
Old friends mean much more to me than new friends because they can see where you are and know where you've been.

wizarddog
03-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Actually, Dming a system that you all have to learn is usually how you have to start anyway. It sound that everyone will be on equal ground and its not a bad idea. But you will be spending the first sessions working out the kinks. Do you know what the system is?

Dixon_West
03-03-2010, 05:11 AM
Actually, Dming a system that you all have to learn is usually how you have to start anyway. It sound that everyone will be on equal ground and its not a bad idea. But you will be spending the first sessions working out the kinks. Do you know what the system is?
Big Eyes Small Mouth. The Anime one.

The Magic King
03-03-2010, 06:24 AM
You should play the new one, if you are planning to play it eventually anyway. You might as well get the birth pangs out of the way.

Dixon_West
03-03-2010, 06:26 AM
You should play the new one, if you are planning to play it eventually anyway. You might as well get the birth pangs out of the way.

I would totally agree if we had more than half a week to learn a whole new system :/

cplmac
03-03-2010, 11:38 AM
You got to start somewhere, so why not just go with the new one. Could even use the first session or so for making characters as a group. Also, since nobody is familiar, the new GM won't be dealing with the knowledge of the players making him look bad. Which ever your group decides on, good luck with the game.

d-_-b
03-03-2010, 01:11 PM
I don't see how ethics enter into this, but for what it is worth, new or old, he had better make damn sure that at least he is up to par on the rules. There is few things worse than when you have to start playing a game and no-one knows the rules...

DariusReynold
03-03-2010, 01:33 PM
One Thing Dixon forgot to mention...Everyone who has access to the rules, including the DM, obviously, is studying up so we should all have a basic feel of how the game works. I'm a member of that Role Play group, and even though I've never played BESM before, I'm looking forward to what the new DM can do.

Dixon_West
03-03-2010, 03:54 PM
One Thing Dixon forgot to mention...Everyone who has access to the rules, including the DM, obviously, is studying up so we should all have a basic feel of how the game works. I'm a member of that Role Play group, and even though I've never played BESM before, I'm looking forward to what the new DM can do.
Yeah, the people who have access are: A person who has a hard time explaining things, and the DM, who blows everything out of proportion. Only two are studying, and we only have ONE working copy of the actual book that works, and we don't even have the outline to the campaign that the DM want's to do leaving us at a DM. I am looking forward too it and I think that we should do it, it would be a lot of fun, but I think that a week and a half of waiting at a dead end does not get you around it.

P.s. If anybody thinks I am angry, don't. I am not, I respect all of your opinions, it is my fault for forgetting stuff all the time. Darius is right about it. Oh and to the dude who posted "How is this Ethical": Ethics is the moral standstill of what should be done, and what should not, most commonly used in an alternative way where it is two equal sides to an arguement that are good and bad.

P.P.s Criticism is good your first time. It lets you know the good from the bad, and when you do something that you can't be criticized on than you wont know if you are good or bad. Real criticism or constructive criticism, not every news is going to be nice. (Just another thing I forgot to mention sorry again) :/

krieg_69
03-03-2010, 08:54 PM
I was mentioning that very game (BESM) to my sis-in-law as she is an avid D&Der and anime finatic. Are you all playing the d20 version?

Anyway, more on topic. I've been gaming for quite some time now and have coached several (10 or so) new DMs. Personally, I feel it's easier to learn from a knowledgeable instructor(s) than it is to try and teach something no one has any idea about. Besides, running a storyline and knowing the rules are two different things. I know people that know the rules of D&D that can't run a game to save their life, but I know storytellers that can run a game in any ruleset with no more the a few hours prep time as long as they have players that know what they need to be rolling and when. So, the real question is, does your friend want to learn how to logically lay down a plotline in front of PCs as they make their way through the world, or does he just want to try and fumble through a system as he haphazardly throws together a story that is constantly interupted as everyone looks up rules and such? But that's just my take on it. You know, it's kind of funny that your friend is trying to avoid critisism for his GMing and yet is currently getting critisized here on the forums for GMing he has yet to do.

Dixon_West
03-04-2010, 05:09 AM
I was mentioning that very game (BESM) to my sis-in-law as she is an avid D&Der and anime finatic. Are you all playing the d20 version?

Anyway, more on topic. I've been gaming for quite some time now and have coached several (10 or so) new DMs. Personally, I feel it's easier to learn from a knowledgeable instructor(s) than it is to try and teach something no one has any idea about. Besides, running a storyline and knowing the rules are two different things. I know people that know the rules of D&D that can't run a game to save their life, but I know storytellers that can run a game in any ruleset with no more the a few hours prep time as long as they have players that know what they need to be rolling and when. So, the real question is, does your friend want to learn how to logically lay down a plotline in front of PCs as they make their way through the world, or does he just want to try and fumble through a system as he haphazardly throws together a story that is constantly interupted as everyone looks up rules and such? But that's just my take on it. You know, it's kind of funny that your friend is trying to avoid critisism for his GMing and yet is currently getting critisized here on the forums for GMing he has yet to do.

He isn't TRYING to avoid criticism. The group knows he can take it. It's just some people in the group are...harsher about it than others. and one of us hates getting criticism of any manner all together. It's all a "Putting yourself in someones shoes" situation, with the criticism.