PDA

View Full Version : Bardbarian

Dixon_West
03-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Okay this seems like a crazy idea, but I had an AWESOME character concept for 3.5.

You make a half-Orc, and take your first level in Barbarian. Simple, but don't forget to have an even amount if stats in everything, except strength and charisma. You will need those the most. After those, dexterity. But make that even with constitution, and intelligence, even with wisdom. If rolling stats, be sure to place them at least somewhat close to this.

Second level, in Bard. If you did it just right, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will will all be even, you will have a decent amount of skill points at each level, and spells, and being a Barbarian, be able to hit with it too, and use bigger weapons, and still dodge, be quick witted, and nobody will believe you if you do it.

That and it is a lot of fun to play. :D

Just a simple idea I am throwing out there.

wizarddog
03-02-2010, 11:40 PM
The charisma hit may prove troublesome for the bard for spells and DC of his charm abilities. And unless you have a good intelligence, your sacrificing strength for skill points. However, the roleplaying aspects are quite interesting if your not dependent on skills) and the bard powers do allow some buffing.

Dixon_West
03-03-2010, 05:13 AM
The charisma hit may prove troublesome for the bard for spells and DC of his charm abilities. And unless you have a good intelligence, your sacrificing strength for skill points. However, the roleplaying aspects are quite interesting if your not dependent on skills) and the bard powers do allow some buffing.
I rolled for stats and they looked like this:

Str:18
Dex:12
Con:12
Int:12
Wis:10
Cha:16

The Magic King
03-03-2010, 06:27 AM
It is certainly an unconventional character, though that in itself can add to enjoying it more. He could have lived his early years with the tribe, but after setting out on his own his love of bardic life sprang forth.

wizarddog
03-04-2010, 02:49 AM
A Barbarian/Bard is often used to create a skald, a storyteller/singer from a tribe. Most notably from fiction is Farhad from the Grey Mouser and Farhad stories by Frizt Lieber. Some builds of the character have him with bard powers.

If your not concerned with optimal use of powers, then go ahead with the build. If you are concerned, then the build is not very optimal, even with the charisma. After taking a -2 charisma for being a half orc, you will find the charisma is of little use to you in combat except for intimidation.

Zugh
03-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Not to be flat-out rude, but this idea is just awful.

Half-Orcs get a -2 to their Charisma, what Bards need to cast spells. A Half-Orc should not be ANY type of spellcaster in my mind, unless its a Barbarian/Druid. I dont mean to sound like a douche, but did you really think this through?

The Magic King
03-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Zugh you just made my day I got a good laugh out of that.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Unconventional = fun, IMO. I love the oddities, with all their flaws, strengths, and quirks. Oh, didn't i mention i began playing dnd in the 70's? Back in the day when a 12 stat was a great role of the dice.

Go for it, Dixon West. Be sure to share or blog gaming details of your characters exploits on pnpg. Perhaps even initiate a thread for clever names for said character.

BayGuardian
03-09-2010, 06:05 PM
So, Half-Orcs shouldn't be Paladins either?

Sorry, but for a good chunk of us, Storyline & RP Potential >> Min/Max. I know it's shocking but there are D&D players that *refuse* to min/max. Everyone has their own style of play, neither one better than the other. If he doesn't want to do an optimal build, that's his right.

And if every D&D character were optimal build, we wouldn't have Roy Greenhilt.

I think it's an awesome idea, Dixon. And the skald concept really fits in as well.

cigamnogard
03-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I think it's a great idea. Speaking of a bizarre idea - what about a 3rd level bard meshed with a ghost template for an eighth level character?

WhiteTiger
03-09-2010, 09:16 PM
The Half-Orc BardBarian actually would work pretty well in Pathfinder.
Half-Orc has no negatives. :biggrin:

tesral
03-12-2010, 08:59 AM
I'll class that as an interesting idea. I've never been one to do a character based on the optimal build. I don't plan a PC from the start to the end. I role-play them out.

I'm not big on half Orcs. I would, for myself go Human with that idea. But if half Orc is you choice, go for it.

Valarian
03-12-2010, 09:48 AM
I can just hear the Orc sagas being sung through the battle. Talk about psychological warfare. The character's allies had better stock up on the earplugs.
Great concept. A skald, but not the normal Nordic variety.

cigamnogard
03-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Every race should have a bard - in fact I notice most Warhammer fantasy boxes come with sort sort of musical player. And from my military days there is nothing so good as a band playing when you are marching along.

tesral
03-13-2010, 01:12 AM
76 raw bones in the big parade....

Dixon_West
03-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Not to be flat-out rude, but this idea is just awful.

Half-Orcs get a -2 to their Charisma, what Bards need to cast spells. A Half-Orc should not be ANY type of spellcaster in my mind, unless its a Barbarian/Druid. I dont mean to sound like a douche, but did you really think this through?

Don't worry about it Zugh. I understand. When I thought about it, I thought the same thing. I will take a negative to my skill involving charisma, so in the bard skills, I put more, that way it would even out, and I would be more all around. I can still hit high, and it compensates a little bit for my -2 in the charisma. Also I search for charisma enhancing items instead of strength boosting ones, and when I can get an extra ability score, I put it into charisma. Before you know it, the -2 has no penalty on you anymore. It just takes patience is all. But I figured it would kind of be worth it.

cigamnogard
03-15-2010, 07:04 PM
76 raw bones in the big parade....
Interesting - what does this mean?

tesral
03-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Me think kids these days have no culture. Not know great Orc musicals of days past.

cigamnogard
03-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Ha! Got it.

cplmac
03-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Me think kids these days have no culture. Not know great Orc musicals of days past.

So much for the classics, eh Tesral?

tesral
03-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Great shows like Orclahoma, Paint Your Wagon with Blood, Da Music Orc, and Carnagecel. Them have no culture.

cigamnogard
03-16-2010, 03:28 PM
:) :laugh:

cplmac
03-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Oliver & George M Cohan too. Yep, I have performed in many of them.