PDA

View Full Version : More Repairs

cplmac
02-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Like an old phrase from on the show Hee Haw (I know, I just gave a clue to my age) said:

..."If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all..."

A little while ago, the last giant ice dagger of death that had been hanging from the edge of the roof finally decided it was time to fall. Yep, the roof that it landed on ended up with a hole about 3 inches in diameter. Unfortunately, it pulled a piece of wood with it that managed to hit a window on the way down and busted it. The roof thing isn't that awful bad, since the plan was to redo the roof on those two rooms this Spring anyway. The downside is that I have the sneaky suspicion that the size of this old window is most likely not going to be a standard size of today. Will probably have to special order a window for that exact size. Not looking forward to seeing how much that is going to cost. Of course, that will take a bite out of the funds for doing other repairs and improvements this year. At this rate, we may finally be done fixing things by the time I am 100 years old.

Hopefully the rest of you haven't had similar experiences. Appearently we were not to be lucky enough to escape damage free from the winter weather that has been rather brutal this season. Guess it could have been worse and had actually totally tore apart the upper roof in that area.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Sorry to hear.

If it makes you feel any better, i just had to choke up $4000.00 for a vehicle repair. Yep, pretty much killed my gaming/home repair budget for the entire year.

traesin
02-25-2010, 01:38 AM
two weekends ago was my weekend of death....

Richard Littles
02-25-2010, 04:58 AM
Sorry to hear that mac and I hope you can fix your house easily and cheaply.

Snuffy
03-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Sorry cplmac. I know your pain with house repairs of late. I've been lucky with the winter weather not damaging the house although it did cause some water in the basement.

January I had to replace the furnace. That hurt.

Now the headgasket on my car is leaking oil similar to the Valdez or at least working its way their.

Any possibility of reworking the window opening to a standard size?

-Mike

cplmac
03-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Yeah, we are thinking that if we can't just buy a window of that particular size, we are going to replace it with something that is readily available. Most likely will have to make a little bit of adjustments. Even it we go with a slightly smaller window size.