PDA

View Full Version : Games & Gizmos gone under?

Slipstream
02-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Hey Seattlelites,

I was just in the Redmond area yesterday around 11am and swung by Genesis Games & Gizmos and saw the front door propped open with NOTHING inside! There was a guy out on the sidewalk pressure washing, most likely using a hose hookup through the what appeared to be a vacant store. I couldn't get that close, but it really looked like nothing was in there. Maybe just the way the light reflected off the glass, but I couldn't see the bustling stacks of games normally in there.

Is it gone or has it moved?

Farcaster
02-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Don't worry, it moved. Here's the new address which is about 500 feet away from the old location they tell me:

16150 NE 87th St
Redmond, WA 98052
(425) 497-9579

MortonStromgal
03-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Wait... didn't Oroboro move and then close? I hope this doesn't happen to them.

Umiushi
03-19-2010, 02:49 AM
Same here. By the way, it was on Oroboro's last day that I found a piece of binder paper on their bulletin board with the url for Pen and Paper Games, which brought me here. Anyone want to own up to sticking that there?

Harwel
03-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Weird, I just drove to that shopping center for lunch (Typhoon, yum), and the sign for Genesis is still up on their old space. I had no idea. How is the new space?

Umiushi
03-20-2010, 03:18 AM
Kind of cramped for shopping, especially when the game tables are occupied. Is it temporary? If not, I think they're going to need to move the furniture around a bit more.

Spazzle
04-12-2010, 09:39 AM
aye - pretty cramped. But still, one of the better flgs I've been too recently. Good shop!

MortonStromgal
07-07-2010, 03:42 PM
I finally got over to the new location. Its nice. I don't think its that much smaller if it is smaller.

Umiushi
07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
It is possible that they rearranged the furniture in the three months since I was last there, but based on that visit, if it's not smaller it was certainly more cramped.

As an aside, there's a game store that opened this year in the same parking lot as the IHOP in Overlake. I think it's called Dragon's Lair.

russdm
07-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I drove over there today and saw the store place being made for some office. When I looked the store's address in a map deal, the marker was in the middle of the street. I don't think it exists anymore.

Umiushi
07-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I drove over there today and saw the store place being made for some office. When I looked the store's address in a map deal, the marker was in the middle of the street. I don't think it exists anymore.
Which store did you mean? I swung by Games & Gizmos as well as Dragon's Lair this afternoon between four and five o'clock, and they were both open for business.

I did notice that Games & Gizmos isn't showing up properly in Google Maps. Their real address is 16150 NE 87th St, Redmond, around the corner from Regal Bella Bottega 11 and next door to Bandido's Mexican Cafe.

Slipstream
07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Which store did you mean? I swung by Games & Gizmos as well as Dragon's Lair this afternoon between four and five o'clock, and they were both open for business.

I did notice that Games & Gizmos isn't showing up properly in Google Maps. Their real address is 16150 NE 87th St, Redmond, around the corner from Regal Bella Bottega 11 and next door to Bandido's Mexican Cafe.
Games & Gizmos just moved a bit, but still in the same shopping center. See Farcaster's response to my first post. I'd change the subject line of this thread so it's not so assumng, but users are locked out from doing so.

Archaeologist
07-14-2010, 02:33 PM
I go there all the time. It's my favorite FLGS to visit. Again just in case you guys need clarity, they moved literally just 500 ft away from their old location. They're right next to the road now, next to a Mexican joint and a Teriyaki place. Can't miss it. Hopefully they'll get a real sign up soon rather than that banner. I loved how spacious the old location was, but it also had problems. Especially with all those computers and people getting distracted by WoW. I think the move ultimately was a good thing, considering how costly their old rent was and giving the store more "focus". Shame that they're not nearly as visible though. The insides are a little more cramped than they used to be, but excluding the nights were the store packed full of people, it isn't too bad. While the product visibility/ accessibility isn't the best in some places due to the table arrangement, I think they did a swell job packing the walls full of merchandise. In the old location I always hated having to go to the very back of the store to look at some of the books and mini's.

russdm
07-14-2010, 06:57 PM
I found it today when i visited it to try to find it.

I didn't find the thing I was looking for. A PHB 1 for 3.5; the guy there said that 3.5 stuff was being destroyed. Is this true?

Archaeologist
07-15-2010, 12:38 AM

I didn't find the thing I was looking for. A PHB 1 for 3.5; the guy there said that 3.5 stuff was being destroyed. Is this true?

No Clue. But it makes sense that they wouldn't bother stocking 3.5 stuff. We live in the age of 4e, and the store owner of Games and Gizmos is a big fan of Pathfinder. Why bother stocking 3.5 materials when two separate alternatives exist?

Slipstream
07-18-2010, 03:02 PM
I go there all the time. It's my favorite FLGS to visit. Again just in case you guys need clarity, they moved literally just 500 ft away from their old location. They're right next to the road now, next to a Mexican joint and a Teriyaki place. Can't miss it. Hopefully they'll get a real sign up soon rather than that banner. I loved how spacious the old location was, but it also had problems. Especially with all those computers and people getting distracted by WoW. I think the move ultimately was a good thing, considering how costly their old rent was and giving the store more "focus". Shame that they're not nearly as visible though. The insides are a little more cramped than they used to be, but excluding the nights were the store packed full of people, it isn't too bad. While the product visibility/ accessibility isn't the best in some places due to the table arrangement, I think they did a swell job packing the walls full of merchandise. In the old location I always hated having to go to the very back of the store to look at some of the books and mini's.

To add to these thoughts: the sound is a bit of a problem too. I'm not an acoustic expert, but possibly lining the upper portions of the walls and maybe the ceiling with sound-proofing may bring the decibel level down a bit, especially on big game days. The air circulation could see improvement too. This is all not to be nit-picky. I do enjoy the store, but these kinds of things I hear and read a lot of.

MortonStromgal
07-23-2010, 07:21 PM
To add to these thoughts: the sound is a bit of a problem too. I'm not an acoustic expert, but possibly lining the upper portions of the walls and maybe the ceiling with sound-proofing may bring the decibel level down a bit, especially on big game days. The air circulation could see improvement too. This is all not to be nit-picky. I do enjoy the store, but these kinds of things I hear and read a lot of.

You just have to hang thick cloth, it will absorb or deflect what goes up. Up is only 1/2 the problem though. [edit] I also heard through the grape vine that they are not doing as well at the new location as they had hoped for. I guess I better buy more stuff!

Harwel
08-12-2010, 05:48 PM
I went to their new space for the first time today to pick up an order. It seemed fine, and the staff seemed upbeat. They also gave me a flat-bottomed cloth bag with their name and logo with my purchase, and told me that if I bring it back for later purchases, I get 5% off. Bonus!

Slipstream
08-13-2010, 07:57 PM
I went to their new space for the first time today to pick up an order. It seemed fine, and the staff seemed upbeat. They also gave me a flat-bottomed cloth bag with their name and logo with my purchase, and told me that if I bring it back for later purchases, I get 5% off. Bonus!
Not bad! Stores are finally giving bonuses for carrying around silly cloth bags.

thursday next
08-14-2010, 03:09 AM

just randomly throwing my advice in, but i work at half price books and we always have tons of 3.5 stuff! plus it's super cheap.