PDA

View Full Version : If you had access to a time machine, what would you do with it?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Thoth's mid-week Sunday-Funday Thread and Poll created for your enjoyment.

Found this on the net and thought it an interesting question to ask everyone here on pnpg, so enjoy...

Poll: You can give more than one answer. Heck, if you just want to participate in the poll, that's fine too.

If you had access to a time machine, what would you do with it? Note: You can go back in time and into the future with this time machine.

Where would you go? What would you do? What would you change? Who would you meet? What would you prevent? Well, you get the idea.

Feel free to go crazy and list as many ideas as you like.

What share all of you?

The Great Immortal Arch Lich Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead, Cursed by the Gods, will be sharing his list shortly.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Okay, first thing i would do is to go far enough into the future to deal with my injury. I want the problem resolved.

2) Go back into time to check out the dinosaurs
3) Introduce Robert E. Howard to gaming. In fact, try to get Howard and Lovecraft in the same gaming group.
4) I'd then go back and check out the epic battles found in history.
5) I'd also love to have a chat with Aleister Crowley, Milarepa, and others.
6) Go see a David Van Halen concert, before they broke up.

But in the end, i'd most likely permanently move a few hundred years or more into the future and travel in space. Being a scout would be great, actually. (see Traveller rpg class)

Sascha
02-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Let's see ... attend Stevie Ray Vaughan concerts, first off.

If we're able to muck about in time (rather than passive observation), *show* George Lucas how to properly make a Star Wars prequel (that is, start with the Clone Wars, ditch the Chosen One stuff, and hire modern screenwriters and directors - keep the Force ambiguous, dangit~).

2) Go back into time to check out the dinosaurs
So, the 1970s?

(/ducks)

traesin
02-25-2010, 01:32 AM
I would go back and save the Library of Alexandria. have a talk with Catherine the Great and Queen Elizabeth the 1st. I'd go and find my family in Ireland. I'd probably stop and live in mid 1500's.

cplmac
02-25-2010, 08:23 AM
With my luck, by the time that I found it, the batteries would be dead, or for whatever reason it would be out of power.

traesin
02-25-2010, 08:30 AM
Ah. yes. i know the feeling.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-25-2010, 09:39 AM
I would go back and save the Library of Alexandria. have a talk with Catherine the Great and Queen Elizabeth the 1st. I'd go and find my family in Ireland. I'd probably stop and live in mid 1500's.
I'll go with you to save the Library of Alexandria . Great choice, traesin.

Dytrrnikl
02-25-2010, 10:14 AM
1. I'd go back to Ancient Greece, witness the epic events of that day.

2. I'd want to meet Nikolai Tesla.

3. Bring dumbed down versions of today's battery technology back to when cars were first being made, before Gas and Internal combustion engine took off.

4. Track my family back to it's origins by talking to each ancestral generation, beginning with great Grandparent Luke's who immigrated from Cork County, Ireland in late 1800s and Grandfather Gunther who immigrated to states after WWI and cahnged name from Gunter to Gunther.

5. Go back a single month with winning Powerball lottery numbers for the next month and claim annuity for all of'em.

TheYeti1775
02-25-2010, 01:17 PM
I chose everything but Destroy it and move to another time.

I can think of quite a few greedy endevours I could have.

Think about it, a simple sports alamanac (aka Biff in Back to the Future). Knowledge of Powerball/Mega Million Numbers.

Go back a little further for Land Grants, researched correctly with your ancestory could really hook up your future self.

There are a few other things I would do that would have many motivations outside the realm of this forum as well.

outrider
02-25-2010, 03:41 PM
me, I would want to go back and solve some of the mysteries, who killed JFK, the disappearance of the Roanoke colony, the missing crew of the Marye Celeste etc. as well as the disappearing children and women.

Umiushi
02-26-2010, 04:27 AM
I'd love to go to all sorts of places, but I think I'd have to keep things short range until I stock up some resources, especially a supply of good meds. Catching a bug I've got no immunity to wouldn't be fun in any era.

Of course, unless the Time Cops are on my trail or the machine's really flashy, even very conservative hopping could make me stupidly wealthy. After that, I think satisfying a lot of curiosity and giving myself enough of a lifespan to do it could keep me occupied for a very long time, before I even have to worry about whether or not I want to try my hand at actually mucking about with the timeline.

Arkhemedes
02-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Thoth's last item on his list of things to do, states that he would go see a Van Halen concert with David Lee Roth. Been there and done that...several times in fact. So let me put your mind at ease Thoth. If you never saw Van Halen with David Lee Roth you really didn't miss anything that you could see with Van Halen without David Lee Roth, who typically got so drunk on stage that his performance generally consisted of a bunch of high kicks, screams and leaving half of the words out of the songs. While he was very charismatic, he also had a huge ego and was very often a poor showman and an embarrassment to the rest of the band.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-26-2010, 10:19 AM
I've heard from friends that very thing. I guess i'd have to research which date he was actually sober enough to put on a great show, most likely earlier in Van Halen's career.

I'd also like to go see Led Zeppelin before they broke up.

Arkhemedes
02-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I'd be doing the same thing, Thoth. Only I wouldn't stop at just a couple of concerts. I think I would hit a lot of concerts, plus all of the ideas above and more. My mind is reeling at the possibilities (don't even get me started). Am I being too greedy here?

Chi
02-26-2010, 06:54 PM
I would never change anything I have done I have learned from everything, except one thing... If I had a time machine I would go back to the day I took that first drag of that first cig, and I would never touch it!

Blydden
02-28-2010, 10:29 PM
I'd go back in time for something very selfless. Like making sure my family had a much better future. But that would probably cause a paradox so I couldn't be born...so I couldn't even find the time machine in the first place so I couldn't help my family so I couldn't be...BWAH PARADOX!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Naw, no paradox, just a parallel time line... so no worries. Kinda like Sliders, or that evil/good Kirk & Spock episode in the original series of Star Trek.

Banshee
03-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Wow! That's a crazy question with so many possibilities! Where to start first?

Ok, first, in order to satisfy both my greed and my want to play RPGs, I would go back in time far enough to be able to pick the winning numbers for the latest record-setting PowerBall game. After winning, I would leave my career and then, after about a year of doing pretty much nothing and travelling, I would hire (yes, I said "hire") a group of players with whom to game regularly. Yes, I know that sounds strange, but I know if some eccentric multi-millionaire were to offer me a living wage and health benefits just to play a game that I already play for fun, I would jump at the chance! It's the RPG version of being a professional athlete! LOL

Second choice: go back in time, knowing what I know now, and undo some of the stupidest things I've done in my life which have resulted in bad outcomes (i.e. don't buy a brand-spankin' new car at eightteen years old!). Stuff like that.

I'll be back later in the week with more and hopefully better-thought-out ideas!
Hmm... the 1970's? Here's an idea: find the person who invented bell bottoms and invite him/her to go skydiving... provide him/her the parachute pack that contains the anvil from the Bugs Bunny cartoons. Problem solved.

Chi
03-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Wow! That's a crazy question with so many possibilities! Where to start first?

Ok, first, in order to satisfy both my greed and my want to play RPGs, I would go back in time far enough to be able to pick the winning numbers for the latest record-setting PowerBall game. After winning, I would leave my career and then, after about a year of doing pretty much nothing and travelling, I would hire (yes, I said "hire") a group of players with whom to game regularly. Yes, I know that sounds strange, but I know if some eccentric multi-millionaire were to offer me a living wage and health benefits just to play a game that I already play for fun, I would jump at the chance! It's the RPG version of being a professional athlete! LOL

Second choice: go back in time, knowing what I know now, and undo some of the stupidest things I've done in my life which have resulted in bad outcomes (i.e. don't buy a brand-spankin' new car at eightteen years old!). Stuff like that.

I'll be back later in the week with more and hopefully better-thought-out ideas!
Hmm... the 1970's? Here's an idea: find the person who invented bell bottoms and invite him/her to go skydiving... provide him/her the parachute pack that contains the anvil from the Bugs Bunny cartoons. Problem solved.
That's actually very interesting, and I think I could be convinced to be hired to game!!

traesin
03-02-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm for hire!!!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-03-2010, 12:12 PM
I'd have a serious chat with my earlier self, no question.

cplmac
03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
I'd have a serious chat with my earlier self, no question.

Ah yes, but would the earlier self listen to you?

Chi
03-05-2010, 11:45 AM
I think I would listen to myself, if I came back!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Ah yes, but would the earlier self listen to you?

I think I would listen to myself, if I came back!

Yes, i believe i would. I'd like to think so, anyway, for the conversation would be a real wake up call.

Chi
03-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Yes, i believe i would. I'd like to think so, anyway, for the conversation would be a real wake up call.
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking to, wake up call!

traesin
03-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Oh I agree. I would give myself a kick in the butt.

Chi
03-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Well I don't know about kicking myself in the butt that might hurt!

traesin
03-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Oh that would be the only way to get through my thick skull.

Banshee
03-08-2010, 12:18 AM
LOL!

Yeah, I thought that might sound stupid, the idea of hiring people to game with, but hey, I'd be freakin' rich! I could do nearly anything I wanted to, right?!

As a side note, I'd hire you to play, but you'd also have to GM every now and then. So, if that's cool, and I ever find myself a time machine, you can consider this an interview- you've got the job!

traesin
03-08-2010, 02:52 PM
no problem DMing here.

The Magic King
03-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I'd go back and forward through time beating the crap out of all of history's greatest individuals. Then I'd do a bunch of random crazy stuff for my amusement. Finally I'd go back in time to set up resources and allies for myself in the present to control the world through a hierarchy of clones and robots to control mankind's destiny for the rest of it's existence.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Oh that would be the only way to get through my thick skull.
Your skull is where? Never knew you kept your head up your arse.

Apologies, i couldn't help myself. You just made it waaay tooo easy. :laugh:

:eek: Hey, don't blame me, blame the dry law homework i've been reading for the last few hours. I blame the text. Thoth innocent. :rolleyes:

traesin
03-10-2010, 01:41 AM
I don't anymore, but in High School I'd say half the time it was up there. And I can totally blame you. Your the one who chose to take business classes. :)