PDA

View Full Version : Need help with "bomb" ideas - Eberron setting

cigamnogard
02-23-2010, 06:19 PM
This Sunday my group of players should be facing a "bomb" scenario. What I was thing was to make a bomb out of:
A bag of holding suspended over a portable hole.
- the only problem is that it only sucks in things in a 10' rradius and that's just not big enough.

Any ideas?

Malruhn
02-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Add a contingency spell with a gate to the plane of fire/electricity/whatever that will go off if a large explosion goes off, and you have instant inferno that only YOU can describe. How big do you want it? You got it!!

cigamnogard
02-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Sounds good - please tell me more!

yukonhorror
02-24-2010, 07:24 AM
if it is 3.5: search for WOTC's remake of Return to the Temple of the Frog, and they have some stats for grenades and explosives in a D&D setting. It is free to download, so have fun.

cigamnogard
02-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks - looks good.
Still, I am looking for an earth shattering explosive.

wizarddog
02-24-2010, 10:57 PM
You don't have to have something statistically to create a massive destruction. After all, the point of the bomb scenario is to prevent it from going off. Assume an ancient device was placed in the city (I assume a populated area, a bomb in a deserted area is not that threatening) and some how it it is about to go off. The stakes are, if it does, it destroys everything (or nearly everything-enough to destroy the city). If the players fail to stop it, and they are in the city, they are probably going to die.

After all, if you create the statistics for it, what is to prevent your players from building one themselves? Or is that the point ;)

Given that, with a contingency spell, a Maximized, 25d6 Sunburst with an Widen Earthquake could simulate a blast. The only issue is that you will have an interesting time describing how the PC with evasion managed to evade the blast. That's why I would follow up with the earthquake, but even then, the evasion boys could come out of the blast without a scratch (That is actually not unheard off-the force of the blast could blow then away from the carnage). You could instead, say that the blast is saved on fortitude rather than reflex, eliminating evasion all together.

TheYeti1775
02-25-2010, 01:00 PM
How big a blast do you want?
Your the DM.
Not your fault the artifact went kabloom.

Figure out the Damage Die ya want to use for it.
Figure out the total Radius for the blast.
1d4 per 10ft Radius
1d6 per 10ft Radius
1d8 per 10ft Radius
1d10 per 10ft Radius
1d12 per 10ft Radius
1d20 per 10ft Radius

Once you have the total Radius, have it increment as it expands.
Say d20's for the Damage Die out 200ft.
At Ground Zero 0-10ft we are looking at 20d20.
While those around 100ft will be looking at 10d20.

Change the unit of measure and damage as you wish to get the desired effect.

The effect you are probably looking for is definitely on the Artifact level, else a Mage with a Disintegrate will ruin your dastardly plans.

cigamnogard
02-25-2010, 03:10 PM
The effect you are probably looking for is definitely on the Artifact level, else a Mage with a Disintegrate will ruin your dastardly plans.
How?

tesral
02-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Dimensional Bomb: This object is a sphere about the size of a softball, and weighting a pound. When the command word is spoken, and the sphere hurled it will rend the fabric of space/time on impact. The effects of this device cannot be controlled. Once used, it is gone.

The dimensional bomb will have one of the following effects. Roll for the effect, and the area that it covers.
D10 Effect
1 Gate opened into an inner plane, positive pressure
2 Gate opened into an inner plane, negative pressure
3 Gate opened to an outer plane, positive pressure
4 Gate opened to an other plane, negative pressure
5 Rend in reality, positive pressure
6 Rend in reality, negative pressure
7 Short term gate (1-100 days), roll 1-6 above*
8 Long term gate (1-100 years), roll 1-6 above**
9 Permanent gate, roll 1-6 above
10 Fishing pool opened***

D100 Area of Effect
01-50 10 radius
51-75 30 foot radius
76-90 100 foot radius
91-99 1000 foot radius
00 1 mile radius

*-10% on area roll
**-30% on area roll
*** -50% on area roll

Terms:
Positive pressure: The "pressure" is greater on this side of the gate than the other side. Any characters in within the radius of the area of effect will be pulled through the gate.
Negative pressure: The "pressure" is greater on the other side of the gate. Something, or somethings, will appear in the area of effect. The DM is urged to be interesting.
Rend in Reality: Access to another universe. Anything is possible, from Buck Rogers to toons. Characters pulled into, or out of a universe conform to the rules of the universe they are in, not the one they come from.
Fishing pool: A fishing poll is a quasi-controllable open gate that switches when/where it opens to on a constant basis. Someone that concentrates on the gate has a chance to grab, and pull something through. There is no controlling what is found. A Will save DC 35 must be made with every attempt, or the character themselves will be pulled into the gate.

Characters that suffer passage through a dimensional gate will be stunned for 1-4 turns. They will lose access to all spells (provided magic is possible) until they have rested. Gates, unless otherwise indicated will last only moments. Some effort must be made to get back through a gate with the "wrong" pressure. What effort is left to the DM's imagination.

cigamnogard
02-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Cool - where is this from?

tesral
02-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Cool - where is this from?

Me.

cigamnogard
03-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Very good me.
Went with a glass ball that contained a portable hole and a bag of holding - with a peice of glass seperating the items.

The Magic King
03-03-2010, 06:39 AM
you should also utilize the planar distortion caused by bag of holding meeting the portable hole. Something along the lines of bringing forth horrid abominations and hellfire from the lower planes. Nothing makes rescue efforts harder for survivors than demons.

cigamnogard
03-03-2010, 04:03 PM
you should also utilize the planar distortion caused by bag of holding meeting the portable hole. Something along the lines of bringing forth horrid abominations and hellfire from the lower planes. Nothing makes rescue efforts harder for survivors than demons.
Oh, I intend to - I intend to! I already have it set up something along those lines. Stay tuned in my blogs for the storyline.

The Magic King
03-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Haha, yeah make the mortals suffer!

LucifeR
03-04-2010, 06:58 AM
"bomb" ideas i like too.
i had my players run into a Keep with Kobolds all over the place. thought my players where higher lvl and Kobolds poss no threat they kinda just walked around them. the kobolts where taking the bones of fallen people. pretty much removeing the flesh and taking the bones to a point on the map. soon one of the players wanted to kill a kobolts. these little guys packed a suprizes. if the attack fails, or you just kinda pissed off the Kobold the little guys would yeil and wipe out a knife stabing themselfs in the back and BOOM! everything with in 5' took 1d12+5 damage and 10' took 1d6+3. they can chain off of each other. but if a player kills the Kobold it will not blow out.

at times one player lite a sun rod since they entured a REALLY dark room. she soon found that she had 2 Kobold following her rod. but not threatingly.

hope that might help. if you need more info PM me anytime

cigamnogard
03-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Interesting - what was exploding then?

LucifeR
03-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Interesting - what was exploding then?

no idea.. no one ever asked... just one player pushed one out of the way it went boom and they learned pretty fast

if they we to further look i am sure they would find a curse or somthing.

reason they where just stock pileing bones is cuz later they will be summoning a "boneyard" dragon type monster of undeadness

The Magic King
03-05-2010, 04:40 AM
It was magic that was exploding them. Never forget that when in doubt "A wizard did it." .

cigamnogard
03-05-2010, 02:13 PM
A curse eh...:embarassed:

LucifeR
03-06-2010, 12:22 AM
It was magic that was exploding them. Never forget that when in doubt "A wizard did it." .

YEAH! but then the players want to find and or kill said wizard... why? loot =P

The Magic King
03-06-2010, 01:46 AM
kill? a wizard?!

Their flesh would writhe on their bones for all eternity!
BUWAHAHAHA!

LucifeR
03-06-2010, 09:04 AM
kill? a wizard?!

Their flesh would writhe on their bones for all eternity!
BUWAHAHAHA!

0.0 oh my... but they would still kill it right? they would just have ugly flesh... one of my players loots EVERYTHING! and will stay in a feild of zombies till everylast one is dead... evevn though they could have ran thru.

The Magic King
03-09-2010, 11:05 AM
No i meant that the wizard makes them all undead with their former consciousness but no control of their actions. Also they can feel pain and it is the only thing they can feel, well that and the eternal hunger for all that they once loved.

cigamnogard
03-09-2010, 03:40 PM
What? Is that a curse or something?

LucifeR
03-09-2010, 10:46 PM
What? Is that a curse or something?

no....no i am prety sure he just made it up.... though my char is trying to become a Lich... so would that speed it up or would he turn me human? lol

The Magic King
03-10-2010, 10:17 AM
The thing about wizards is that they can create spells so in reality anything can become a spell.

cigamnogard
03-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Meh...okay...

LucifeR
03-11-2010, 01:57 AM
The thing about wizards is that they can create spells so in reality anything can become a spell.

can they really? hows that work?

The Magic King
03-11-2010, 12:42 PM
can they really? hows that work?

Page 35 of the DMG under CREATING NEW SPELLS has some basic help for the subject. However what it really comes down to is making it balanced. While the spell I proposed sounds rather fantastical, in reality it is far from overpowering. Think of it as a mix between Soul Trap and Animate Dead.
You would have to first kill your opponent then cast the spell to trap their soul in an undead form. This terribly corrupting transformation would imbue in them the hatred for life the undead exhibit while simultaneously allowing them to be trapped in a hopeless form to view their atrocities for as long as their host remained intact. This by the way would be a ninth level spell with expensive material components.

In response to the earlier post about the lich character. Said wizard would have to find your phylactery for this to work as your essence is within it.