PDA

View Full Version : Mage of the Arcane Order question

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-21-2010, 05:49 PM
When leaving your spell slots open for the day, when you do eventually cast a spell from that slot, does it then use up that slot? There isn't anything in the Complete arcane that says otherwise. And I can see it making sense either way to have that slot stay open to cast multiple spells or that it does use up the slot.

Any ideas?

d-_-b
02-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Could you please enlighten us as to where we might look up this Mage class?

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Its a prestige class from the Complete Arcane.

Sorry

It has a spell pool power where at various stages the mage in question may call ANY wizard spell from levels 1-3 (stage 1), 1-6 (stage 2), or 1-9 (stage 3) by leaving spell slots open from the various levels and may call a number of spell levels equal to half the character level of the mage. So a 10th level wizard can call 5 levels of spells, 1 5th level, 5 1st level, 1 2nd level and 1 3rd level, etc...

My question is would said mage need to have multiple slots open in order to call multiple spells from that level and/or does calling a spell use up said open slot once called and cast?

Consequently, the mage has to pay back his spell pool debt. If he calls a 3rd level and 2 1st level spells, then within a certain amount of time (based on level) he has to take spells that he has memorized that day and add them to the spell pool equal to the level of the above spells, so he could give up 5 1st level prepared spells or 1 5th level. Make sense?

They are incredibly versatile wizards so it kind of makes sense that those slots remain open so that they may have spells called to them as needed. But I can also see the arguement that those slots are used up after they have had a spell called to it and thus you would need to have more than one spell slot open to call multiple spells from a certain level.

d-_-b
02-23-2010, 02:57 AM
In that case I would rule that calling a spell use up an appropriate slot and that you hence would need to leave open X number of slots to cast X number of spells. What you are basically doing is converting a portion of your Wizard into a Sorcerer.
It is still a cool PrClass

wizarddog
02-23-2010, 11:12 AM
You must have the slot available for the spell. So if you want a third level spell, you must have a 3rd level available. Calling a spell requires you cast it with minutes equal to your caster level. Once it is cast, the slot is used up.

However, since wizards can prepare lower level spells in higher level spell slots, you can call forth a level 1 or 2 spell and place it in the 3rd level slot if you wish. Not the best use but still applicable.

Paying your debt also uses up a spell slot when you payback.

Note that if you call a spell, and do not use it, you still have the spell slot--the call spell just fades away. (Though you will need to payback to the spell pool even if you did not use the spell.)

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-23-2010, 11:46 AM
I am well aware of all those things, I just don't see anything that spells out that the slot is used up, it does make sense since that is how most of that kind of stuff works.

Thanks for the info.

My level 8 character always has a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level slot open, the versatility is freaking amazing.

d-_-b
02-23-2010, 04:49 PM
I just read up on the PrClass. It's freaking awesome to be able to cast ANY spell as long as you have access to spells of that level! Still I think the wording is pretty clear: one spell, one slot.

For example, Turial Edemont, a 5th-level wizard/4th-level mage of the Arcane Order can call one 4th-level spell per day, two 2nd-level spells per day, or any other combination, ...

My bold italic
of spells whose levels do not exceed four

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-23-2010, 06:13 PM
To be technical that has no reference to the number of slots used when calling those two 2nd level spells. Nor is there any mention that he has to have 2 open 2nd level spell slots to do so.

Although, one could argue that you could cast one from the 2nd level slot and one from the 3rd level slot...

I think it is, still, rather unclear.

wizarddog
02-23-2010, 11:43 PM
It falls under the mechanics of spell slots. You can only have one spell per spell slot.

You can have a spell placed in the slot equal or lower to the spell slot level. The calling ability example allows you to call a single 4th level spell or two 2nd level spells over the course of the day, but you are limited to only calling one spell per round. You must have the spell slot available, and if you cast the spell, the slot is used. You don't gain free spell slots from the call and you can't call two spells at once.

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
It falls under the mechanics of spell slots. You can only have one spell per spell slot.

You can have a spell placed in the slot equal or lower to the spell slot level. The calling ability example allows you to call a single 4th level spell or two 2nd level spells over the course of the day, but you are limited to only calling one spell per round. You must have the spell slot available, and if you cast the spell, the slot is used. You don't gain free spell slots from the call and you can't call two spells at once.

Yes yes I am aware of all that. It is this that is not made clear in the text:

...and if you cast the spell, the slot is used.

Nowhere in the text is this called out, it is ASSUMED that this is the way it works because that is normally how that stuff works. But Spell Pool is a completely new mechanic that could actually treat those open slots differently.

I do currently play my wizard as if the slots are used up, fyi. I am merely pointing out the vagueness of the rule.