PDA

View Full Version : A question for the DMs out there

Ishcumbeebeeda
02-17-2010, 03:52 AM
Maybe I should start off by warning everyone that my mind is very tangential, so bear with me...
Okay, so I'm on a Warlock kick (again) and it randomly popped into my head that an old acquaintance of mine used to call them the batman of D&D. Which made me think, of course, of the utility belt. Which led to me thinking of a belt of many pockets/belt of pouches(I think those are both things...) or what have you full of potions... anyway to cut down on the reading you poor people have to do I'll skip to the question: Would you, as a DM, allow a warlock to go into the Master Alchemist class even though one of the requirements is Spellcasting: Ability to cast 4th-level arcane or divine spells? My argument in favor of it is that a Warlock can, in theory, make potions using his invocations, and at 12th level he can just use a UMD check instead of the spell. None of the class features of the Master Alchemist actually use a specific spell, so I'd argue that the requirement should really be a caster level, which Warlocks do qualify for. At any rate, what thinkest thou?

Lex
02-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Yea, at some point warlocks have 4th level equivalent powers so it seems with in scope of the rules. I would probably figure out some way to work it just on principal of being a cool idea.

Ishcumbeebeeda
02-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Yea, at some point warlocks have 4th level equivalent powers so it seems with in scope of the rules. I would probably figure out some way to work it just on principal of being a cool idea.

I have this up on another forum and you're the first person to also think it was cool idea! (I've gotten mostly "No! A Warlock is not a Wizard!" kinds of answers, but a couple of yes's as well, so far. Now if only I could find an actual game with an actual DM to actually ask. Sigh.)

yukonhorror
02-17-2010, 03:06 PM
it spells out in complete arcana (and maybe some others) the issues with requirements and such when it comes to warlocks. They are in the sidebars.

Lex
02-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Yea, ultimately; a warlock dosen't have a limit on most of his/her power usage so making them into single use items to be used along with a character theme actually may be a hindrance to the character as far as power levels and challenge ratings. I'm an anti-munchkin GM so i tend to encourage any sort of multi-classing that backs up a character concept (such as "Batman the warlock/master Alchemist"); your powers as a warlock may suffer in a game i would run but i would work something else in to benefit the character such as a useful alias (ie. Bruce Wayne) and contacts and resources that would be required to back up the idea of having access to materials to support such a lifestyle. Its really all about playing a character that is fun and fits into the style of game that is being run.

rabkala
02-19-2010, 06:27 PM
I think I would encourage you to make the character as you wish, then I would mercilessly torture it. Maybe have it killed off quickly several times, only to be reincarnated as a goblin. Then probably give you some incurable diseases and enmity between you and some powerful demon lords. I could probably reinstate my old school crit hit tables and give you some horrendous permanent disabilities.

Not to be mean or anything, but just so you fit in with the group. Its really all about playing a character that is fun for the DM and fits into the style of game that is being run. At least I would find that fun.... :laugh:

TheYeti1775
02-25-2010, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with a small re-write of it for flavor.
If the requirements are on par with each other I think it would be a fun twist to play out.

Ishcumbeebeeda
02-28-2010, 05:08 PM
I think I would encourage you to make the character as you wish, then I would mercilessly torture it. Maybe have it killed off quickly several times, only to be reincarnated as a goblin. Then probably give you some incurable diseases and enmity between you and some powerful demon lords. I could probably reinstate my old school crit hit tables and give you some horrendous permanent disabilities.

Not to be mean or anything, but just so you fit in with the group. Its really all about playing a character that is fun for the DM and fits into the style of game that is being run. At least I would find that fun.... :laugh:
HA! That sounds like an AWESOME game! I don't usually get too attached to my characters, and I'm fine with them dieing horribly or having very powerful enemies. Especially if it advances the plot.

The Magic King
03-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Yes and at the end of their life have their soul trapped and placed in the bottom of the big bad's boot for all eternity. Or serve as his cod piece, a truly terrible fate.