PDA

View Full Version : Chapter Five: At Death's Door



Pages : [1] 2 3

wizarddog
02-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Dark City: The Guild War
Chapter Five
At Death's Door

Cursed by the Bandit Captain, the thieves re-enter the dark and gloomy sea caverns in hopes of discover the bones of the late bandit leader and unlocking his hoard. Time is running out, as by the end of the day, those cursed may find themselves dead or worse...

Bearfoot_Adam
02-17-2010, 07:04 PM
((Sorry, didn't get this out in time since people wanted to back track and then I got tied up.))

"Boss, got some bad news here. I heard dat Captain Mortimer talkin to some strange voice sounded not right light some bad mojo worker. Looks like we got a rat workin for da Captain dat had me held up down there. He was real pissed dat dem dames grabbed da charts, don't know what dat means. Da voice said to start wit da plan even though some vessel dame ain't ready yet. Said somthin bout a Nymphs Kiss. Also da voice says da Saughain an da Illumina ain't happy wit Mortimer. Also looks like one o dem dames is sick and needs to go back down dere. What you want me to do?

Borodeva
02-18-2010, 02:51 AM
(hoping for an updated map of the Smuggler's Caves, showing the areas we visited and those we moved past after leaving the Captain's Cave.)

wizarddog
02-18-2010, 01:47 PM
To Barnabas: "The Nymphs Kiss? That is one of the Guild's merchant ships. This Illumina has managed to form an alliance with some sea raiders and an a aquatic humanoid race. Very interesting.... Good work, Barnabas!"

"The Nymph's Kiss is not due to port for another three days or so. You should accompany Madoka and the others, since you know the area and see if you can find anymore information. If you manage to lift the curse and make it back in one piece, we can see what we can do about our sea raiders."


(Maps--not going to happen. Draw your own map. You have enough information to do that. You know of only one way back to the caves.)

Borodeva
02-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Woot! I found the clue we need and made my own map.

from before:

The passage continues for another 30 minutes, getting tighter but maneuverable. You hear the scrapping of the chest Barnabas is carrying behind you against the walls of the cavern.

Ahead you find the passage is at a crossroad. One heading lower to your left and one heading higher to your right. A foul salty smell comes from the left and painted next to it is a strange devil face, much like the one you have seen on the journal and the belt buckle.

The right passage seems to have a slight breeze and the smell of dank water is caught on your nose.

We went right and got out through the shroom cave. Now I bet we need to go left instead. I think it's more than a coincidence that the left fork is marked with the same strange devil face as the items we found.

We should also sneak back into the main complex and check the following areas:

1. passage leading right from the crew quarters (we went left only)
2. the corridor guarded by the Terminator Zombies
3. the shack by the dock and bay

DM: there seems to be a passage leading southeast out of the cold cave but I don't remember one ever being described. Is this a dead-end?

[Madoka puts on the devil pin and the devil belt and stealthily leads the group down the left passage with the foul salty smell and devil face unless anyone objects to this plan.]

Bearfoot_Adam
02-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Following, wondering how gross Madoka will look if this curse gets activated.

wizarddog
02-19-2010, 11:32 PM
DM: there seems to be a passage leading southeast out of the cold cave but I don't remember one ever being described. Is this a dead-end?


No one bother to check it out.

Borodeva
02-19-2010, 11:50 PM
[Madoka puts on the devil pin and the devil belt and stealthily leads the group down the left passage with the foul salty smell and devil face unless anyone objects to this plan.]

We'll check the passage through the ice cave next if this way doesn't pan out.

wizarddog
02-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Traveling back to the crags is but two hours after your healing and shopping.

Descending back down the shroom cave was easy enough and you make it back to the intersection of the cave. Sure enough the devilish face is on the passage and you follow it down. You estimate you have about five hours before the alleged curse should kick in.

The air indeed is moist and salty and a slight breeze is felt. After 20 minutes of carefully walking the passage ends at a small metal rusty grated gate. It appears to be reinforced with sliding bars and a series of padlocks appear to hold it in place. Beyond the gate you see the passage opens into a vast cave into the darkness. The sound of dripping water into a pool is heard beyond.

You note that the bars of the grated gate have taken quite a punishment. They are slightly bent towards you, as if a large mass had pushed against it. Madoka notices scorch marks along the tunnel walls beyond the gate as if explosions of fire had happened frequently.

Borodeva
02-20-2010, 10:23 PM
[open my locket to make sure I have a good hands-free light source, then check for traps, then start opening the locks, motioning for the others to stay at least 10 behind me.]

Bearfoot_Adam
02-20-2010, 10:36 PM
"This don't look good. Can you open it?"

wizarddog
02-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Madoka discovers as she tries to pick the locks that their mechanism have been filled with some sort of material, most likely lead, which has fused the locks. It won't be possible to pick them. However, they have been worn by salt water and rust for what looks like many years.

Borodeva
02-21-2010, 12:06 PM
"Hmm, these locks are toast. They look pretty rusty though. I bet a big strong guy like you Barney could break them easily. Care to give it a try?"

Bearfoot_Adam
02-21-2010, 04:32 PM
"I do this and every thing down there will here it." Barnabas takes his bastard sword in two hands and strikes at the first lock.

CaptainShar
02-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Gisele, now wearing the armor under her cloak, trails along behind the other two until they have to make a lot of noise anyway breaking down the door.

"We need to take the Captain's bones back into the ice cave - there's a dark temple past the part we were in. That's what the journal said."

wizarddog
02-23-2010, 09:46 AM
With several mighty blows, the orc smashes the locks of the small gate. The noise echos throughout the cave. The locks severed, you can easy remove the barring on the gate and enter.

All Barnabas can think about as he hacks the locks is "...the gate wasn't built to keep other out, but to keep something in..."

Borodeva
02-23-2010, 01:45 PM
"Nice work, Barney! Now to find those bones! Looks like we'd better get ready to rumble. You guys got weapons and spells ready?"

[Madoka gives Barnabus the thumbs up and takes point again, stealthily leading the group down the passage into the cave. If it's too dark to see without a light source, I'll keep my locket open. I actively search every 50 feet or so to look for bones or anything else unusual.]

CaptainShar
02-23-2010, 09:26 PM
"I never daydream."

Gisele also has a crossbow out with a bolt loaded, as backup.

Bearfoot_Adam
02-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Sword and mace at the ready Barnabas follows Madoka waiting to rush in at need.

wizarddog
02-24-2010, 10:29 PM
With Madoka leading the three thieves enter a vast cavern. From a 8 foot ledge from which they emerge they discover the chamber is a large pool of murky water. Some rocks spread through out the cavern jet out from the still water.
A salty tasting mist fills the air. With Madoka low light vision, she see some 80 feet above that a roped bridge is above them.

Barnabas believes that is a bridge the other bandits referred to when they exited out of the cave.

Some 30 feet away ahead across the water, Madoka and Barnabas notice several mounds piled up laying on the rocks. More mounds appear ahead that she can see with her light, low light vision and Barnabas's dark vision. Not able to penetrate the mist clearly they see that the first mound appears to be a pile of boots and shoes, some wore over the years and other drenched from exposure. The arrangement could not possible be a natural occurrence...

Bearfoot_Adam
02-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Whispering "looks like something doesn't like it's meals to be too tough."

CaptainShar
02-26-2010, 05:23 PM
"Let's make a quick search to see if the Captain's remains are here."

Gisele asks Madoka to stand nearer the piles of clothing with her light, so they can look through them for the Captain's bones.

Borodeva
02-26-2010, 07:08 PM
"I have a bad feeling about this area. I bet there's some kind of monster under the water ready to snack on us. I can put some Dancing Lights ahead for you guys if you wanna move forward and investigate the piles, but unless we can draw this monster out first, I'm happier to stand back here away from the water. I can move the lights for you, too, so just let me know where you want them."

[casts Dancing Lights ahead by the first pile.]

Bearfoot_Adam
02-26-2010, 07:18 PM
((I have a bad feeling about this? why not just throw in an I"m getting to old for this stuff ;) ))

wizarddog
02-27-2010, 07:46 PM
The first,as Madoka and Barnabas can see, is a pile of shoes and boots. The pile is 30 feet away.

The dancing lights show the next closes pile appears to be shirts and armor vestments. It is 30 feet as well in different direction. The next pile, 40 feet away in another direction, appears to be more clothes. At the far end of the lights, barely through the mist, Madoka makes out a pile that has the outline of a pile of bones. That distance she believes is about 60 feet, the pile of shoes halfway the distance.

Giselle is unsure of its water's depth though the water is very calm.

Borodeva
02-28-2010, 10:46 AM
"Ah hell, there's some bones all the way over there!" [points] "I don't like having to swim through this water, so if something tries to eat me I hope I can count on you guys to back me up. Maybe we'd be better off sending a construct to go get the bones instead."

DM: I took 1 level of Warlock for L3. My power is Beguiling Influence, which I will turn on now. I will post updated character sheets once I get my scanner hooked up again.

[starts to wade into the water towards the pile of bones, moving the Dancing Lights ahead of her to illuminate her way. My locket is also radiating Continual Flame.]

Bearfoot_Adam
02-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Following behind

CaptainShar
02-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Gisele ahems.

"Whatever's out there won't want to chomp on this armor, I think," she says. "I'll go get them."

Gisele rolls up her cloak neatly and hands it to Madoka to keep dry. She takes one of her baskets for collecting the bones, and then starts to move toward the bones in the most direct way possible. If she has to go through water, she'll test each step before putting her weight on it, trying to avoid sudden drops or slimy sections.

Borodeva
02-28-2010, 08:43 PM
"Can't argue with that logic. Spiky armor won't make for a pleasant meal."

[Madoka stops at the edge of the water instead and directs her Dancing Lights to light the way for Gisele as she approaches the bones.]

DM: My L3 sheets are posted in the Guild Roster

wizarddog
03-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Giselle tests the water.

Down down goes her feet till she feels the rocky bottom on her flat of her feet. Being so tall, her head rises quite a bit. She estimates the water, at least where she stands, is five feet deep. It has certain chill as it penetrates her clothes. From her perspective, the pile of bones look ever so further.

Borodeva
03-03-2010, 02:09 AM
"You go, girl!"

Bearfoot_Adam
03-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Keeping the sword and mace out but laying next tohim Barnabas covers Giselle with his cross bow.

CaptainShar
03-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Gisele steps forward, moving towards the bones. She's used to the cold.

wizarddog
03-06-2010, 03:19 PM
As her two allies keep watch, Giselle walks along the bottom of the pool, living behind a cascading ripple through the water. A few times she felt the rocky surface below dip in places that she dared not travel, short of submerging herself completely. Instead, she takes a zig zag course towards the island.


As she approaches she notice that the bones appear to mostly of arms and legs. Further from the site she see another mound in a dark silhouette some thirty feet beyond the island, but it would take her beyond the lights of Madoka.

Borodeva
03-06-2010, 04:58 PM
[I move my Dancing Lights in the direction Gisele indicates to continue to light her way ahead.]

CaptainShar
03-09-2010, 02:58 AM
Sweat starts rolling down her face as she encounters every detour on her way to the bones, every second's delay bringer her closer to death. She shudders with relief when she finally finds a way through.

Gisele looks at the bones to see if they might be those of the deceased Captain. If there are no indicators one way or the other, she'll gather them up just to be sure.

She sags visibly when she sees another treacherous route through the water to another pile of bones. Then, she'll motion for Madoka to move the lights further to the next pile.

wizarddog
03-10-2010, 03:41 PM
The pile of bones on the island is a PILE of bones, about three feet high, carefully stacked. As the lights move forward she see the next mound of bones and from there in the distance the out line of some rocky island.

The orc and elf see the outline of Gisele head some distance away, though the mist make it but a shadow.

In the distance you hear the silent but deliberate sound of something going into the water, the location, unknown.

CaptainShar
03-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Gisele freezes at the sound of something diving into the water. She scrambles up onto the pile of bones, trying to keep from getting her ankles grabbed by something lurking unseen below her in the pool.

Borodeva
03-11-2010, 04:44 PM
[I will carefully wade through the water in an attempt to join Gisele on the bone island, taking an active listen check as I enter the water to try to pinpoint our unseen swimmer.]

Bearfoot_Adam
03-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Barnabas thinks to himself. Great, water deep enough to drown in and a thing to drag me under. He sheaths his weapons and keeps his cross bow at the ready and follows Madoka. If he can see something moving towards giselle then he will shoot it in hopes to draw its attention.

wizarddog
03-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Giselle attempts to gather bones. The delicate balance of them is disturbed and a good portion slide right into the water with a splash.

Madoka, on her tiptoes touching the floor below makes her way to island, not hearing any sounds of swimming in the cave.

Barnabas aims his crossbow, but see no target.

All three then hear a deep voice which echoes in the chamber. The language is thickly accented common.

"Grum, Gron, Goan
Who steals me bones?
I smell an elf and orc
and one unknown..."

Bearfoot_Adam
03-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Moves crossbow around trying to focus on the voice.

CaptainShar
03-17-2010, 10:33 PM
"Who are you?" Gisele calls out.

Borodeva
03-18-2010, 02:53 PM
"We're sorry to disturb you sir, but we have a very important mission that you can help us with. We'll make it worth your while. Please come out so we can see you and talk face-to-face."

[using Diplomacy +10 to try to improve his attitude]

wizarddog
03-19-2010, 02:14 PM
The voice continue to echo throughout the cave

To ask such questions
in anothers own lair
Tis rude of the asker
and the asker to dare!

When me food makes demands
It make grinds me fangs
me stomach turns
and wrenches in pain!

Despite that, it seems to soften the tone slightly when it continues...

when food strike me interest
me ear I will lend
But foolish elf to think
me advantage will rend...

Borodeva
03-20-2010, 11:25 PM
"We three are tasty,
though dangerous too.
Magic and weapons,
and swift death to you!

Courage have we much,
and skills pirates fear.
But busy we are,
our deadline draws near.

Your life or your food,
and which shall you choose?
Most deadly are we,
you'll soon see the proof!

Parley we prefer,
for your and our gain.
Let us make a deal,
avoid further pain!"

[Madoka lights up her hand with fiendish crackling Eldritch power (Mortalbane, BoVD p.49, 3d6 total damage), hoping her impressive poetry and show of magic will make her request more convincing. (trying for circumstance bonus). Diplomacy +10, Intimidate +10 as necessary.]

CaptainShar
03-22-2010, 01:30 AM
Gisele continues,

"We have a quarrel with the pirates who've sealed off your lair. We want to fight them instead of you. But do you know anything of the one who was captain before the new pirates came?"

wizarddog
03-23-2010, 01:39 PM
The first verse seems directed to Madoka:

Again with threats
and boasts of war!
Knowing but nothing
of who I was before!

Many sorceresss
such so vile
have fell by magicks
claw and guile!

Offer me parley
if you desire
but gold and gems
I do not desire!

It then seem to address to Gisele:

The men above
I choose them not
they come to the end
of me despicable lot

But one knew I
was of a different cloth
took interest in me
and what I wrought

Tis this the captain
from which you speak?
Tis too late....

The voice stops abruptly and eery silence fills the chamber.

Bearfoot_Adam
03-23-2010, 09:49 PM
"I don't like dis place. Why can't we see your face? We think we need something here. IF thats true can we get it and then uh... get clear? Barnabas looks proud.

Borodeva
03-24-2010, 12:12 PM
"Let us speak plainly then. We seek the bones of Lawrence Salavard, Captain of the Sea Hag. We know he was betrayed and murdered by the pirates above. We are only here to set things right and make sure his spirit can rest in peace. We have no quarrel with you. If the men above are your enemies, know that they are our enemies, too. And the enemy of my enemy is my friend. So let us talk as friends. I am Madoka, what is your name? Please tell us your story and we will tell you ours."

[extinguishes her eldritch fire and holds her hands palms up in friendship. Diplomacy +10 again.]

CaptainShar
03-24-2010, 02:58 PM
We will parley,

Gisele says.

(Also using my Diplomacy skill.)

wizarddog
03-24-2010, 04:00 PM
At first, there is silence.

Then slowly rising out of the water adjacent to Madoka rises a large head. It's face is hideous, with large fishlike eyes. It's body continues to rise...and rise...and rise till it stand well over 10 feet tall in a gangly thin body. The skin looks rubbery save the scales that cover its chest. At the end of the long arms are large hand with long sharp claws, webbing between the digits. The face is has a long nose pointed down, while razor sharp fangs bulge from its mouth. Blazed across its chest are three strange glowing runes.

No shadows now
to hide behind
no darkly silence
for you to find

My name forgotten
a tale so sad
but the men above
call me "The Skrag"

The bones you seek
I know them well
For me captain
is he that fell

I have the bones
me secret still
we parley now
if you will...

Borodeva
03-24-2010, 04:29 PM
"I sense your tale is sad indeed. Please continue. Scrag, you say? [takes out the "Scrag Souvenirs" from the crew cave.] Does this display have any meaning to you? You may have it if you wish. We stole it from the scurvy pirates who murdered our friends. When we went to investigate the fate of our friends, we killed several pirates but were eventually captured by Mortimer and jailed here. We promptly escaped and killed more pirates including a nasty wererat, a human sniper, and a large bugbear. In our explorations we learned your captain was murdered and we seek to lay his bones to rest. How can we help you? If you do not wish riches, surely there is something you desire."

[continue Diplomacy +10]

CaptainShar
03-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Gisele gulps at the nasty appearance of the Skrag. Now that it's come out, she wishes it had stayed underwater. Yet, she puts a brave face on it, trying to listen attentively.

wizarddog
03-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Me desires are three
but Humble am I
That I desire only one
of which you can reply

The creature points to the first glowing rune on his chest.

Blazed on me chest
as you plainly see
are thrice cursed runes
parting gifts to me

The first was so vile
it destroyed my shell
And now I must exist
in this monstrous hell

The creature then points to the second rune.

The second was worse
in my point of view
bonding me to remain
in this this dark cavern of doom

Finally, he points to the third rune.

The final was a joke
funny for its time
forcing me to speak
in such ridiculous rhyme

One and three I can endure
I have for many years
but the second must be gone
If I wish to end my tears

If I give up the bones of my Captain,
my friend who is now deceased
will you lift the second curse
and have me finally released?

Borodeva
03-31-2010, 11:22 PM
DM: What is necessary to dispel or disrupt rune magic?

Knowledge Arcana +5
Spellcraft +5

Also I have successfully researched rune magic before earlier in the campaign with my mage college buddies.

If necessary I will also ask the Scrag if I can cast Read Magic to study the second rune upon him.

Bearfoot_Adam
04-01-2010, 09:55 AM
((I love a game where no one has detect evil))

wizarddog
04-02-2010, 01:22 AM
Madoka see that the runes (and not Sigils) are very ancient, branding from some ancient curses she may have skimmed over in class. She knows that such curses (which may include the one she is now under) are powered by powerful divine forces usually located in holy (unholy) sites or artifacts. Only a very powerful priest, outsider, or wizard would be able to remove such a curse. However, destroying or disrupting the site or the artifact may break the curse.

(DM: see the rules regarding alignment for this game. It usually only concerns how outsiders view you. The creature in question could be evil but choose not to do evil acts in this particular encounter ;)

Borodeva
04-02-2010, 11:53 AM
"I am a wizard, and I understand the nature of your curse. Could you please tell us more about how you became cursed? Who cursed you, why did they curse you, and how did it come about? I must know these things if I am to free you of the second curse. Oh, and what of these? Do they have any meaning to you?" [shows the Scrag Souvenirs from the crew cave again]

CaptainShar
04-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Gisele, now that the conversation has turned to some kind of puzzle to solve, feels more at home.

"We require the Captain's bones to lift a similar curse cast upon ourselves. Perhaps in the place that our curse may be lifted, we will find the clues to lift yours."

wizarddog
04-06-2010, 05:50 AM
The creature turns to Gisel

The one who is not
as she appears to be
is correct on course
of what needs to be

Then to addresses Madoka.

The curse you will find
has a story to tell
of the men who's temple
this mountain once held

Bound by dagger
and stone and blood
the faithful of Jahana
were once quite loved

But fighting for power
we turn on each other
killing our fathers and
murdering our brothers

And faithful was I
my blade would not fail
but dark magics of blood
brought demons that wail

I was curse so thrice
as I said before
and doomed to this life
a man nevermore

Bound by men
score of decades past
I stayed in my cave
till I was the last

It points to the Skrag Soveniurs

Trivial shredding
of claws and fang
collected by men
who share not my pain

Addresses you all gain

Mi Captain was different
smart and discrete
would talk to me often
and provide me with meat

I told him the tales
of mi life as before
he entered the temple
and discovered the door

through the door, he said
was where he would hide
his booty, his magic
and secrets inside

if cursed be yourself
from what he has learned
only in that chamber
is what you will yearn

He then look at you all intently.

If you make me a pact
curse lifted from me
I will provide you his skull
the doors only key

But pack must be sealed
between both mutually agreed
a Blood sharing oath
is what I decreed

The creature cuts its palm and extends its long fingered, clawed hand out.

CaptainShar
04-08-2010, 03:14 AM
Gisele grimaces. "Um, can't we just promise to help you? I don't like blood."

Bearfoot_Adam
04-08-2010, 07:45 PM
"Pff... fine with water but scared of blood. More people drown in water then blood."

Borodeva
04-08-2010, 10:38 PM
[Cuts her palm as lightly as possible with her Guild Dagger and extends her bloody hand to the Scrag.]

"Let's get it on."

wizarddog
04-11-2010, 01:51 PM
The large clawed hand grasp the small eleven hand and a puff of smoke rises from the two hands. Madoka feels a slight burn and when she releases her hand the cut is now gone. Gisel could have sworn that the smoke from the grasp, it look briefly like a some strange rune.

From here you go
to the freezing cave
the blood stone table
The temple so grave

Only the faithful
clever and stout
can make through the temple
with out any doubt

Be wary of treasures
so easily tempt
for many heretics
to hell are sent

a artifact you'll find
mi curse holds
Break that bind
and all unfolds

Mi captains chamber
the last you shall find
will have the artifact
to break your bind

but treachery assured
mi captain's willed
he'll seek out revenge
and have you killed

be ready with sword
shield and flame
for mi captain is known
to give out the blame

treasures you take
so be forewarn
come at a price
I say no more...

The creature them sinks down into the water. Not sooner than two minutes later it rises with a pile of bones in its arms in a moldy sack. On top of the sack is a human skull with a gold tooth. He hands the bones to Madoka, and begins to sink down slowly once again...

CaptainShar
04-12-2010, 12:38 PM
"Did you hear that, Barnabus and Madoka? Don't touch anything once we get in this temple."

Borodeva
04-14-2010, 12:00 AM
"Red skies, Scrag!" [Sighs, packs away the bones, and begins to double back out of the Scrag cavern.]

"Hmmph, and we work for free again. The captain's journal said 'Once you discovery my remains, the path you take is secret. Through the water cavern beyond the ice tunnel lies the remains of a cold and dark temple. I know not its purpose, but the remains of those who have sought it out should not be disturbed less you wish foul spirits to bring their wrath upon you. I warn you now, those of weak minds and lofty ideals will find this path most treacherous. Do not let your guard down. Once you reach the central chamber lay my lips upon the statue of the Gorgon. It is from that the seal which will open and reveal my treasure. Place my bones in the chamber and begone...' so let's get back to the cold cave. Come on." [Stealthily leads the group all the way back to the cold cave.]

Bearfoot_Adam
04-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Follows thinking to himself well geez I thought we were here to save your hide. That not profit enough.

CaptainShar
04-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Gisele follows along, keeping an eye out for trouble from the pirates.

wizarddog
04-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Back through the passage, the rogues make their way twisting cavern to the main sleeping cavern.

Madoka scouts ahead and hears just outside the cavern, along the ledge, the sound of scraping metal on stone.

Borodeva
04-15-2010, 06:27 PM
"Gah, the Terminator zombies!" [Madoka doubles back and whispers to her companions.] "We may have to kill them to continue."

CaptainShar
04-16-2010, 01:44 PM
"We avoided them last time - let's be as quiet as we can."

Borodeva
04-16-2010, 04:48 PM
[Madoka sneaks back to the edge of the cavern and peeks around the corner, trying to see what is there and where it is. She motions to the others to stay 20-30 feet behind her.]

Bearfoot_Adam
04-16-2010, 09:55 PM
Barnabas gets out his hide from undead potion. He doesn't drink it though.

wizarddog
04-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Madoka sneaks up and peeks around the corner. Sure enough, two humanoids decked out in metal plates and blades are to her right, scraping the blades attached to their arms across the rocky walls, some 15 feet away.

Borodeva
04-17-2010, 05:48 PM
[Hand signal to the others, "2 zombies to the right," then wait to see if the zombies approach me or turn the other direction to continue their patrol. If they turn away and go around the corner to the right, while they are out of sight we quickly sneak around to the left and into the passage leading to the cold cave.]

http://s352.photobucket.com/albums/r333/trialsofthecrimsonguard/?action=view&current=cavrensmap.jpg

wizarddog
04-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Madoka waits patiently for the two zombies to move on, but they seem to stubbornly stay in the general areas, scraping their blades against the rock. She might be able to zip past them, but is unsure if the others would be able to...

Borodeva
04-23-2010, 11:26 PM
(sneaking back to the others and whispering)

"Crap! I think they're guarding this area. I can probably sneak past, but I don't think you guys can. Do we fight, or does one of you have a better idea? We need to get by here to reach the cold cave."

Bearfoot_Adam
04-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Well I got me this potion. I can get past them.

Borodeva
04-25-2010, 09:54 PM
"Hmmm, perhaps so Barnabus, but they can still hear. Can you sneak quietly? What do you want to do, Gisele?"

Bearfoot_Adam
04-26-2010, 12:03 AM
"Quiet enough" ((Besides it's sight, hear, and smell the potion works on them all))

wizarddog
04-27-2010, 01:01 AM
(DM Barnbas is correct, hide from undead makes you undetectable by undead and only intelligent undead get a saving throw. Assuming the creatures before you are unintelligent...)

Borodeva
04-27-2010, 01:18 AM
OOC: Anyone have Knowledge: Religion to try to ID these undead?

CaptainShar
04-27-2010, 01:36 AM
"I could summon us a distraction," says Gisele.

(No Knowledge skills atm... have very limited skill points on this build)

wizarddog
04-29-2010, 01:33 AM
From what Madoka has observed, if the two creatures are intelligent, they can't be that smart.

CaptainShar
04-30-2010, 06:30 PM
"How about the classic 'chuck a rock the other way' scheme?" Gisele inquires. "If they're as dumb as you say."

Bearfoot_Adam
05-08-2010, 06:05 PM
whats the word?

wizarddog
05-09-2010, 06:53 AM
The undead creatures continue to scrap away at the rocky sentiment of the cavern walls...

Bearfoot_Adam
05-10-2010, 11:42 PM
"Well if we doing this we doing this. Barnabas draws his weapons, crouches, and begins to sneak past the zombies."

CaptainShar
05-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Gisele stays a few feet back from the others and tries to sneak past as well.

wizarddog
05-16-2010, 02:10 PM
(DM Does Barnabas drink his potion of Hide from Undead?)

Bearfoot_Adam
05-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Well since we only have one I'll go ahead and save it.

CaptainShar
05-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Gisele is still waiting for the others to go first.


(Just an FYI, I may be dropping out if this thread keeps creeping along so slowly as it has lately. No hard feelings, but it's hard to stay on top of what's happening.)

wizarddog
05-23-2010, 06:53 PM
(DM I have been really busy at the center, so posting has been really an issue. We will see if we can speed this up...)

Barnabas makes a quick move around the corner to past the creatures. The scraping immediately stops and the banshee like cry comes from both of the creatures, echoing the chamber. With bladed arms and bodies they shockingly move at sprint speed towards Barnabas!
(Actions)

Bearfoot_Adam
05-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Well so much for sneakiness. Barnabas readies himself to receive the charge and to attack each of them once.

wizarddog
05-25-2010, 09:27 PM
One of the creature moves to the side and attempts to bull rush Barnabas off the cliff. Barnabas manages to strike at the creature with his Bastard sword (AoO) deflecting it back (9 points of Damage). The second run into its partner, jabbing its bladed armored body into it. Bits of flesh are torn off from it as it dislodges itself, it staggers around to the side of Barnabas.

Gisel and Madoka are positioned in the cave mouth, apparently unseen by the creatures.

(actions: specifically who attacks who)

Bearfoot_Adam
05-25-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm going to take a side step and direct both my attacks on the the zombie I hit with my bastard sword trying to stop it in it's tracks.

Borodeva
05-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Madoka snipes at the zombie that Barnabus hit with his bastard sword using her Eldritch Blast, then ducks back into the cave mouth.

CaptainShar
05-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Gisele starts summoning an Astral Construct. Spending 3 PP to make it a level 2 Construct, it has the burrowing and Improved Slam Attack features.

wizarddog
05-27-2010, 01:25 PM
The blast of Eldritch energy from Madoka strikes the creature attacking Barnabas but it seems not interested in the damage (4 damage). She ducks back into the cave entrance, seemingly blending into the shadows.

Barnabas brings his mace and sword down on the creature but his blows bounce of the heavy plates bolted into its skin.

Gisel begins to concentrate and the ectoplasm begins to take form.

The two zombies slash their bladed claws at Barnabas. Barnabas blocks one with his mace but the second moves quickly and slashes across his chest, cutting deep. (7 points of damage to Barnabas).

(actions)

Bearfoot_Adam
05-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Tries to step so that Madoka and giselle have clear shots. Again focusing both attacks on the one zombie.

Borodeva
05-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Madoka snipes at the zombie that Barnabus hit with his bastard sword using her Eldritch Blast, then ducks back into the cave mouth. (repeat same action)

wizarddog
05-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Barnabas steps around the two zombies to give Madoka and Gisel a clearer shot. His sword amd mace slam into his foe . His mace cracks down on the head of the creature, crushing it down, but immediately it pops right back up, seemingly unharmed (3 points of damage). His sword digs deep in between the plates of the creatures makeshift armor and bits of flesh fly off ( 5 points of damage). Madoka snipes again at the creature blasting it at an exposed part of its armor on the back (8 points of damage) and slides back into the shadows.

A astral construct appears and flanks with barnabas on the non injured creature. It clamps its mandibles on the target digging deep into its ankle. (9 points of damage). Gisel readies herself for another attack.

CaptainShar
05-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Gisele guides her summoned construct to attack again. She sees whether she's close enough to Barnabas to reach him and heal him at the same time, but doesn't want to come to close to the dangerous-looking zombies. If she can duck into combat for a moment and heal Barnabas, she will. (4 PP for 8 health back)

Borodeva
05-31-2010, 12:19 AM
Madoka keeps sniping at the wounded zombie with her Eldritch Blast, determined to take it out, then ducks back into the cave mouth. (repeat same action)

Bearfoot_Adam
05-31-2010, 02:50 PM
and again. ((Just to double check these are not the slow moving zombies that can either attack or move but not both correct?))

wizarddog
06-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Giselle weaves through the battle slaps her hand on Barnabas. Wounds on his chest begin to heal.

Barnabas is amazed at the speed of these creatures. Lacking any knowledge of such creatures, he knows only what experience can offer. He ducks as one slashes at his head, but the other comes around and stabs him in the side. (7 points of damage).

Barnabas brings his sword and mace down on the wounded target, but both of his attacks bounce harmlessly on the creatures makeshift armor.

Madoka strikes another from her hiding position with her eldritch blast (3 points of damage) It sizzles on the skin of the creature, but it seems unfazed by the damage she has given it. Despite that, it looks worse for wear from the many hits on it from all members of the group.

The second round of the amber tumbler, it tries to tear at the foot of the creature, but loses its grip.

Giselle, adjacent to both creatures, thinks about her next move.
(actions)

Borodeva
06-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Madoka keeps sniping at the wounded zombie with her Eldritch Blast, determined to take it out, then ducks back into the cave mouth. (repeat same action)

Bearfoot_Adam
06-06-2010, 03:11 PM
((computer dies and I travel across the country all in the same week))
Barnabas does it all again.
((sorry for the blandness will detail more later))

CaptainShar
06-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Gisele steps back and breaks out her crossbow.

wizarddog
06-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Madoka sneaks out another blast from her fingertips. It strikes the back plate on the creature, deflecting harmlessly from the target and into the wall with a small explosion of arcane energy.

It distracts it enough for Barnabas to clock it with his sword, severing the head off and it staggers and falls off the cliff face into the water below. He swings his mace at the second creature, but it steps to the side, evading the swing.

The amber tumbler snaps at the creature but misses just as the creature brings down its bladed arm and stabs it into the creature (12 points of damage).

Gisele steps back, pulls out her crossbow and aims it at the creature, trying to get a good shot.

Borodeva
06-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Madoka snipes at the remaining zombie with her Eldritch Blast, then ducks back into the cave mouth.

CaptainShar
06-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Gisele shoots! She aims for the more wounded one, or whichever one will be easier to shoot without Barnabus getting in the way.

Bearfoot_Adam
06-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Barnabas stepps so that he and the little critter are flanking the remaining zombie. He twists back and sends the sword in a stabbing motion for the zombies chest, and then send s the mace into it's knee.

wizarddog
06-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Madoka takes carful aim with her blast and fires at the back of the creatures head. (7 points).

Barnabas, seizing on the creature being distraction, stabs his sword towards the creatures chest but it is caught on the creatures blade and deflected. It, however, is unprepared for the smack Baranbas gives it on the knee, and slight crack is heard (1 hit point).

The Amber tunneler attacks the same area hit by Barnabas (6 points) and disappears into a nothingness.

Gisel takes aim at the creature and fires, her bolt bounces harmlessly on its armor.
The creature whirl its bladed arm at Barnabas, who ducks just in time as it thrust into the open air.

The creature steps to the side trying to place Barnabas between it and the cliff ledge...

Borodeva
06-12-2010, 03:50 AM
Madoka snipes at the remaining zombie with her Eldritch Blast, then ducks back into the cave mouth. (repeat previous action)

Bearfoot_Adam
06-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Noticing his precarious position Barnabas takes this turn to roll away from the zombie and so that it is the zombie with its back to the cliff. (no combat actions taken)

CaptainShar
06-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Gisele summons another construct, this one built for pushing. (Bull Rush special feature, as well as tunneling.)

wizarddog
06-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Madoka fires at the creature and shoots it in the head. ( 3 points damage) The distraction allows Barnabas to run around the creature out of harms way.

Infuriated, it follows the orc with incredible speed, catches up at him and thrust its blade straight into the orcs side. Luckily, the fasteners in his armor prevent it from digging deeper, but it still hurts (unconfirmed critical, 9 hit points damage).

Gisele begins to summon another astral construct.

Borodeva
06-15-2010, 01:08 AM
"Take that you sack of sh*t!" Madoka 5-steps out into the open, making sure to get a clear shot, then blasts the zombie with her Eldritch Blast. After shooting she stays out in plain sight, seeing that Barnabus just took a wicked stab.

CaptainShar
06-15-2010, 01:10 PM
(Can I get some idea of where this cliff edge is? I don't recall seeing one last time we were here.)

Gisele summons her construct in as opportune a place for a bull rush on the non-wounded zombie as possible. Buy them some time, fighting that one, at least. She gets ready to heal Barnabus again after that.

Bearfoot_Adam
06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
With a cry of pain Barnabas drops his mace. He then takes the Bastard sword in 2 hands and chops at the zombie.

wizarddog
06-15-2010, 10:01 PM
(Cliff width is 10 feet wide---if you make a bull rush, most likely the target can be pushed off.)

Madoka emerges from the shadows and fires her blast at the creature. She nails it agin in the head (4 points of damage) but it seems undeterred by her aggressive act, still focused on the orc. Barnabas brings his bastard sword around with both hands, it comedown steadily but is caught by the two bladed arms of the creature. The two struggle with both weapons locked.

The creature sneers at Barnabas and the orc smells the horrid breath and see the rotted lips of some humanoid. Unexpectedly, the creature sweeps its foot and Barnabas falls prone on his back. The creature raises its two blades; ready to strike a deadly blow when, suddenly, it feels the full force of the bull rushing amber tunnel slamming into it (Critical Hit). The creature is pushed over the ledge, its blade arms scraping along the cliff side. Three seconds later their is a quiet splash below.

Gisel rushes up to Barnabas and he feels his wounds healing.

The cavern falls silent, save the lapping of waves below...

Borodeva
06-16-2010, 01:58 AM
"Nice tackle! Let's get into the cold cave before something else comes!"

[Leads the group stealthily to the cold cave passage and beyond. What do we see?]

Bearfoot_Adam
06-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Stands up picks up mace and follows.

wizarddog
06-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Wity the threat removed, the thieves continue through the caverns, retracing their steps back into the cold cavern beyond the pool...

Now back in the familiar chamber, they find their campsite of a day ago covered in frost, the stone table as it was and the corpse as it remained. Beyond in the darkness ahead is a tunnel. They know that ahead must lie the temple where they can find the Pirate Captain's Hoard and hopefully lift the curse on Madoka before time runs out...

Borodeva
06-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Onward, ever onward! I pull out my feather of continual light and stick it in my hat then I check for traps as we proceed stealthily down the tunnel.

Bearfoot_Adam
06-18-2010, 07:09 PM
"get too it then"

wizarddog
06-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Ever forward through the bitter cold, Madoka lights the way as she cautiously travels down the frost covered passage. The crunch of frost is upon her light footed boots and after several minutes of finding no hazards you reach an archway carved in the cavern passage.

Beyond the archway, a thick mist has built up making visibility limited. Along the archway is ancient elven writing in a strange language, very similar to that in the book and on the table. The archway is carved with four separate blocks of text facing you. From beyond the archway you feel a slight breeze of warmth.

Bearfoot_Adam
06-19-2010, 08:50 PM
"Dis is why Barnabas don't leave the city. What you bet that we can't just walk through here."

Borodeva
06-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Madoka checks the archway for traps, then casts Comprehend Languages and reads the 4 blocks of text facing her to herself. (not out loud in case that triggers something)

CaptainShar
06-22-2010, 01:03 AM
Gisele puts up her hood and peers out at the writing from behind the other two, and listens for any other unpleasant things lurking in the tunnel.

(Woot for knocking the zombie off the cliff! I hope that killed it.)

wizarddog
06-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Madoka does not find any mechanical or magical trap that she can dechipher, though she knows the text must be magical in nature.


Madoka casts her comprehend spell:

The Upper Left reads: The Path of Water
The Upper Right reads: The Path of Faith
The Lower left reads: The Path of Gold
The Lower Right reads: The Path of Blood.
This text area, she realizes, has blood stains over the stone.

Borodeva
06-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Madoka explains what she has found to her comrades.

"I don't know if these tiles are a map that explains which paths ahead lead to which tests, or maybe you activate the tile of your choice to select your path. What do you guys think? It seems odd that the 'Path of Blood' tile has blood stains over the stone. I wonder if we put some blood on that tile if it will activate something. Any suggestions? Are you fully healed by the way, Barnabus? Path of Blood sounds like a combat challenge to me."

Bearfoot_Adam
06-26-2010, 12:41 AM
"I'll Get through it. "((at least I hope))

CaptainShar
06-27-2010, 06:30 PM
'The path of faith sounds the least dangerous to me,'

says Gisele. 'As long as it's not some crazy demon-god, which I suppose is all too likely down here.'

Borodeva
06-28-2010, 02:16 AM
"Faith eh? I guess there's a first time for everything."

[Crosses fingers and pushes the Path of Faith tile. Waits for a reaction, then leads the team through the archway.]

wizarddog
06-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Madoka presses the panel where the Path of faith is inscribed. Nothing unusual happens and she steps through the misty doorway and disappears into the mist.

[DM: What will the others do?]

Bearfoot_Adam
06-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Follow with a shrug. Barnabas does not usually go in for all this spooky mumbo jumbo stuff

wizarddog
07-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Barnabas follows the elf through the misty corridor. Immediately he feels warm wet moisture covers his body; the coldness is left behind. Through the thick mist he finds his way in a corridor where Madoka stands. The 12 feet high corridor is flanked on either side by large stone half-pillars carved out of the wall. Mist seems to seep through the cracks of this hallway and far off a strange glow is seen at the far end of the hallway reflected off the mist. Located immediately to your left is a figure bent over...

CaptainShar
07-01-2010, 02:01 AM
Gisele follows as well, touching the stone for the path of faith.

Borodeva
07-01-2010, 01:00 PM
"Hmm." [Pulls out a scrap of paper and recites what the Skrag told the group:]
From here you go
to the freezing cave
the blood stone table
The temple so grave

Only the faithful
clever and stout
can make through the temple
with out any doubt

Be wary of treasures
so easily tempt
for many heretics
to hell are sent

a artifact you'll find
mi curse holds
Break that bind
and all unfolds

Mi captains chamber
the last you shall find
will have the artifact
to break your bind

but treachery assured
mi captain's willed
he'll seek out revenge
and have you killed

be ready with sword
shield and flame
for mi captain is known
to give out the blame

treasures you take
so be forewarn
come at a price
I say no more...
"Does that mean anything to you guys?"
[Stops and examines the figure bent over on the left. What do I see?]

wizarddog
07-02-2010, 09:11 AM
From her position, Madoka note the figure seem to look like a typical carving of an angle, many she has seen at her time attending the Citadel. However this one has a strange design, she notes that the hands clasped together have extended claw like finger nails and the face is covered by its hair. However, she discerns a pointed ear poking out of the carved hair.

Borodeva
07-02-2010, 01:39 PM
[Search for traps in the corridor and on the path ahead, then move closer to the angel and inspect it carefully.]

"If this is the path of faith, what sort of faith challenges can you guys think of?"

CaptainShar
07-02-2010, 02:58 PM
'Generally, a test of faith involves avoiding to do something that you very much want, in order to hold to your deity's principles,' Gisele volunteers.

She cocks her head at the statue.

'I say let's leave that alone if we can. It'll probably come to life if we try to pass it, but it doesn't hurt to try.'

She waits for Madoka to finish looking for traps, and then attempts to pass the statue.

wizarddog
07-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Madoka searches the area around the statue for traps and detects nothing mechanical or magical... but she notices remnants of red stained splatters on the stone just beyond the statue and it continues all the way down the passage... fading into the mist...

To Madoka, who has lived in a very controlled astuter elven citadel, dedicated to Aath and the saints, the path ahead seems ... disturbing...

CaptainShar
07-04-2010, 10:32 PM
'Why is it giving you the willies?' Gisele asks, just before she would step past the statue.

Borodeva
07-05-2010, 07:34 PM
"There's a lot of red splatters all down this passage. Looks a lot like blood to my elven eyes. Do you two have faith that we can pass safely?"

[turns to face the angel statue, kneels and bows her head and says a prayer to Aath and the saints for safe passage, then continues onward down the passage.]

Bearfoot_Adam
07-05-2010, 08:39 PM
"Eh, Believe that this won't be as easy as it looks. That count?" Follows on

wizarddog
07-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Madoka kneels down in front of the statue, makes her prayer, and begins to move. By force of habit, she starts a small crawl on knees, a practice she had to do in order to satisfy the leaders of the Citdel that she was truly humble.

As soon as her crouched form crosses the threshold, the sound of whistling is heard just above her; a small volley of needles shoots all across the hallway. When they impact, they explode into a mist that sizzles on the stone. Madoka stops where she is at, unharmed but quite shaken. The firing ceases a few seconds after stopping. She has made it 5 feet with 25 feet to go across the hallway to the next misty chamber...

CaptainShar
07-06-2010, 03:33 PM
'You next,' Gisele glances toward Barnabus.

Borodeva
07-06-2010, 03:35 PM
"Gah! Watch it! I think you must be HUMBLE and DEVOUT to cross safely! Crawl low and keep your head down! I'm gonna try to keep going!"

[Wipes sweat from her brow and says another small prayer, then continues to crawl slowly forward, keeping her head down.]

Bearfoot_Adam
07-06-2010, 11:40 PM
((a Penitent man, penitent))

wizarddog
07-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Madoka stays on her hands and knees and continues down the corridor. Every five feet, she hears the sound of the whistle and the small explosion above her. After crawling the distance, now dirtied with dust and crusted blood on hands and knees, she makes it across.

Ahead she see another chamber through the mist.

Bearfoot_Adam
07-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Being somewhat larger then the ladies Barnabas gets as low as he can to cross the corridor.

Borodeva
07-10-2010, 12:06 AM
"Psst! Looks like Aath was with me. Stay low and you guys should be ok. C'mon!"

wizarddog
07-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Madoka awaits the orcs crossing, which he completes with surprising ease.

Both look into the next chamber.

The 15x15 room is covered with colorful worn pictographs. In the center of the room is a stone basin about 4 feet tall with three sides forming a triangular shape. In the inlet basin is a dark liquid. Located on the floor turned over is brass jeweled crusty goblet, quite tarnished. Gripping the cup is the skeletal remains of a humanoid, once dressed in a now rotted hemp robe. They is no apparent exit.

Borodeva
07-13-2010, 11:03 AM
[Check for traps around the entryway to the next chamber and in the chamber itself, then if safe, proceed inside and carefully examine the pictographs, body, basin, and cup.]

CaptainShar
07-13-2010, 02:52 PM
After seeing both Madoka and Barnabus make it, Gisele reluctantly takes off her fancy robe and crawls along the path.

'I bet one of us has to drink this,' Gisele says, wrinkling her nose at the liquid.

(Indiana Jones to Harry Potter? lol)

Bearfoot_Adam
07-13-2010, 08:36 PM
"Well I have more faith in my body then either of yours." Barnabas walks over grabs the cup and fills it with the liquid. Gives it a couple of sniffs. "Unless there are any objections." Starts to raise the glass to his lips.

Borodeva
07-14-2010, 12:48 PM
"We have the paths of Water, Gold, and Blood remaining. Perhaps this is the Path of Water. The Skrag said we must be faithful, clever, and stout. The real question is are we supposed to drink that dark liquid or figure out a way NOT to have to drink it. Hold on just a sec, Barnabus. Let's think about this. I have an idea. Why don't the two of you examine the liquid and the stone basin area while I look for a hidden way out."

[20-Search the entire room carefully looking for secret doors, switches, pressure panels, basically anything that could be a way out, or cause a way out to appear.]

wizarddog
07-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Barnabas sniff the foul liquid at his lips. It gives his stomach a churn.

Madoka begins to examine the walls for any secret chambers. The pictographs she see show a series of pictures of individuals in robes partaking the drinking of the goblet. Some are consumed in fire, another has his insides bursting out, another has a serpent emerging from his mouth. From what she can see, those with the consuming fire, and lost of insides perish while the one with the serpent coming from his mouth moves to the far northern wall. She examines the wall and finds no seems for a door but, but instead, small 3 cm holes that encircle a doorway drawn in the pictographs. The man with the serpent out of his mouth is walking through the pathway.

On the font pedestal itself their is writing on each face within the pictographs. One side shows a flame, another, a sword, the last a serpent. There appears no special latches or secret compartments on the font.

Borodeva
07-14-2010, 02:26 PM
"Wow, now THIS is getting interesting! Give me a minute to read this writing..."

[Explains her observations to her comrades, then casts Comprehend Languages and reads all the text on the pedestal and anything else around the room she can find. If her reading confirms that the liquid must indeed be imbibed, she gives Barnabus the thumbs up to proceed.]

CaptainShar
07-14-2010, 04:27 PM
"Fine by me if it becomes necessary, my good Barnabus - but let's wait to see what this says," Gisele ponders any remarks Madoka can translate, applying her considerable wisdom to the problem at hand.

wizarddog
07-15-2010, 08:39 PM
The "The Flame" reads "The Word of the Gods", the "Sword" reads "The Wrath of the Gods" the last with the serpent reads "The Blessing of the Gods".

CaptainShar
07-16-2010, 12:39 AM
Gisele studies the images more closely to see if there is a way to trigger one or other of the outcomes - a difference in the way the subject is holding the cup, or standing, etc.

wizarddog
07-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Nothing indicates to Gisele that their is any mechanism or procedure that determines the order of the "Gifts/Trials" of the gods (example: Word, Wrath, Blessing). The pictographs on the walls do not reveal any good example to approach the drinking she can pick out. Though Madoka does note that pictro images of the "Righteous" who receive the blessing at the end are more light skinned; but she has found in experience that is typical in most religious imagery.

CaptainShar
07-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Gisele pokes one of her crossbow bolts into the small holes in the wall.

wizarddog
07-20-2010, 09:17 PM
The hole accommodates the tip of Gisele's crossbow bolt with no apparent effect.

Borodeva
07-20-2010, 11:09 PM
DM: What side of the triangular pedestal is the body laying on? For example, does it seem to be facing the Sword/Wrath side? Also, I examine the pedestal again, looking particularly for some sort of trigger or button or moving panel on the Blessing side.

[translates the writing on the sides of the pedestal]

"I'm not really sure here, guys. Maybe we should empty the cup and start over by approaching from the Serpent/Blessing side of the triangular pedestal, then maybe push the face of the Blessing side of the pedestal just to see, then fill the cup, then you can try drinking, Barnabus, if you're ready. I can't think of another way to proceed."

wizarddog
07-21-2010, 10:31 PM
The body appears to be facing the side of the flame, which is the face that appeared as you when you entered the chamber. The left side contains the serpent, the right side contains the sword. A careful study of the pedestal reveals no apparent mechanisms.

[DM: If you choose to have Barnabas empty the cup, where do you wish for him to empty it?]

Bearfoot_Adam
07-22-2010, 09:21 AM
"Looks like the bar is on this side." Barnabas moves to face the serpent side. lowers the cup and takes a drink.

wizarddog
07-24-2010, 06:00 PM
The Orc takes the drink from the goblet. He feels a sudden surge of heat originate from his belly. Gisel and Madoka watch in horror as the orcs eyes bulge out and veins form from all over his body. Waves of heats envelope him and he collapse to his knees howling in pain. But the orc refuses to be taken down by the extreme heat. Within a few seconds, the pain of intense fire within begins to dissipate.

[Barnabas takes 11 points of fire damage]

The basin refills with a new liquid that is now a opaque white.

Borodeva
07-25-2010, 12:42 AM
"Hmm, how about you drink next, Gisele? I volunteer for the third drink. Heal Barnabus before you drink, just in case..."

Bearfoot_Adam
07-25-2010, 03:08 AM
"No, I do it again." Barnabas takes a clw potion. Stands up and goes to the pedastal.

Borodeva
07-25-2010, 12:08 PM
"You got some balls. Just be careful. The next test is likely to involve combat."

wizarddog
07-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Barnabas drinks the foul tasting liquid as it slides down his throat. Immediately he begins to convulse as he feels his insides begin to turn. He collapses on is knees again and growls in pain. [Barnabas suffers 4 points of constitution damage]. The now sullen orc rises to his feet, a bit staggered.

The font refills with a clear liquid...

Borodeva
07-26-2010, 10:08 PM
"Dude! You up for thirds?"

Bearfoot_Adam
07-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Barnabas stands up shakily and fills and drinks the cup a third time.

Borodeva
07-27-2010, 01:12 PM
[looks on incredulously with a new sense of respect for the half-orc.]

wizarddog
07-27-2010, 02:18 PM
[DM Barnabas is a full bloodied orc]

Barnabas puts the last liquid to his lips. It has no scent what so ever. It goes smoothly down his throat. To his and his companions surprise he begins to become translucent. Then his whole body transforms into a vaporous cloud. Suddenly a slight breeze is felt from the north and the gaseous form is pushed gently through the wall where the small holes are located. The cloud disappears through the wall.

Five seconds later the breeze stops and the basin refills with the black liquid.

Borodeva
07-27-2010, 03:36 PM
"Crap, looks like we're all doing the drinks. Gisele, do you have any power left to heal me? I don't know if I can survive the fire AND the sickness. I'll go first, I guess, since I'm probably the weakest."

[takes the first drink and then waits for healing after the fire...]

Bearfoot_Adam
07-29-2010, 12:25 AM
All right what do I see, what do I hear? Specifically door latches and the like

CaptainShar
07-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Gisele, calculating that her healing would be needed on participants other than Barnabus, nods at Madoka's suggestion.

"You go next - or, wait a sec. I wonder how far down we have to go as a gas."

Shouting through the small holes,

"Barnabus? Where are you now? How far is it?"

Borodeva
07-29-2010, 02:04 PM
"Uh, I'll wait a sec then..."

[pauses before drinking from the filled cup in her hand...]

wizarddog
07-29-2010, 08:04 PM
[DM Barnabas's experiences will be posted via private messages]

Gisels shouts down the holes, waits a few moments, but hears no response.

Borodeva
07-30-2010, 12:51 AM
"No response. Do you want to try to dig or should I drink?"

[does whatever Gisele suggests...]

CaptainShar
07-30-2010, 03:16 AM
"Well, doesn't sound like he's just on the other side here, unfortunately. I think we'll have to drown our sorrows in drink. Tell me if you're getting queasy."

Gisele leans back, apparently unaffected by the prospect of Madoka's upcoming trial.

wizarddog
07-31-2010, 01:07 AM
Madoka drinks the first liquid. The foul liquid begins to do its work on her body. But many years of her training at the Citdel has made her stomach strong against alchemic formulas (Students had to test their own brews in class, some with unfortunate results...) Once the heat resides, she simple lets out a belch. (Madoka takes 2 points of fire damage).

CaptainShar
07-31-2010, 02:46 AM
"That doesn't look so bad."

Borodeva
07-31-2010, 02:26 PM
"Ugh, I've had worse," she says with a wink. "How about a tiny bit of healing just in case the next drink doesn't go so well?"

[waits for a bit of healing or confirmation that she won't be receiving any, then takes the next drink, presumably of the next color liquid...]

wizarddog
08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Madoka drinks the next liquid. It is more foul than the last. She recognizes it immediately as some sort of derivative of Wyvern poison--a common element in the alchemy class. Most of the semester was dedicated to developing an antidote. Her constant testing of the poison's virility after using the antitoxin has made her quite sturdy against it. (Suffers no damage).

The basin fills then with the clear liquid.

Borodeva
08-01-2010, 03:10 PM
"Whew!"

[wipes her brow and fills the cup with the clear liquid.]

"OK Gisele. I've got an idea. Empty your waterskin or any other drinking cup and fill it with the clear liquid. On 3, we both drink. Maybe I float away and nothing happens to you and you have to do the 3 drinks all over again. But if it works..."

CaptainShar
08-01-2010, 03:18 PM
"All right,"

Gisele dips her waterskin into the cup and takes some of it.

"Let's just hope this isn't one of those gods that punishes you for cheating."

Borodeva
08-01-2010, 04:13 PM
"1-2-3!"

[drinks the clear liquid in her cup on 3, watching to make sure Gisele follows...]

wizarddog
08-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Gisele and Madoka drink the liquid together. Gisel watches as Madoka turns into a misty form, the winds blows and her body through the holes in the wall.

(DM for simplicity; the adventure now turns to the point of view of Madoka and Barnabas; Gisel will be informed by private message.)

Madoka suddenly appears in the chamber with Barnbas.

Before her is a 20 x50 chamber with polished tiled floors. On the left side are 4 ornate doors and 4 ornate alcoves. On the right side another set of 4 door and four alcoves. A the far end is an elaborate carving of a face with a large opening in its mouth. The wall Madoka had exited is also a large face with the opening of a mouth--most likely where she exited. Each door has symbol upon it made of a sheet of golden metal infuse into the darkwood of each door. In each alcove, there appears to be some sort of object encrusted with jewels. The walls along the chamber have been intricately carved with more pictographs.

Light appears to come from three golden balls that hover above the chamber (15 feet up) and float about.

The symbols: On the left of him he sees, as they move down: A serpent, a curved sword, a crescent moon, and a some sort of devilish face. On the right she sees: A sun, a hand with open palm, a an arrow pointing straight up, and what looks to be a dragon's head.

The treasures are as follows: Left Crown, A curved sword, a Belt with buckle with a crescent moon, and the last is empty. On the right she spots, a tira, a ornate white box, a ornate carved bow, a breast plate. All appear golden, (save the box) and jeweled crested.

Madoka witness Barnbas pulling the lid off a small the 2" x 2" white box which appears to be made of white birch inlayed with mother of pearl. The top pulled off reveals a golden ring inlayed with a cluster of two pearls.

Borodeva
08-02-2010, 10:21 PM
"Psst, Barnabus! Are you sure you wanna take something? Remember the Skrag said, 'Be wary of treasures so easily tempt for many heretics to hell are sent.' He also said everything we take comes at a price. I had to do the drinks, too. Looks like Gisele will also be drinking. With luck, she'll be along shortly. Maybe we should wait for her before we start touching things here."

[approaches the alcove with the devilish face and no treasure and silently compares the image to that on the belt buckle she is wearing...]

Bearfoot_Adam
08-03-2010, 12:16 AM
"Barnabas, no taking. Just looking. Thought if I were to keep a curse somewhere, keep it in a box. And here is dis ring."

wizarddog
08-03-2010, 11:55 AM
The face on the belt buckle and the face on the door appear very similar.

Borodeva
08-03-2010, 03:09 PM
"Interesting logic, keeping a curse in a box. Something tells me we have to venture further before we find the root of the curse, though. This looks a lot like the Path of Gold to me. This belt buckle the Captain had sure looks like it was taken from here. And he ended up murdered. You think I should return it? In the meantime, let's wait for Gisele to appear."

[points to the belt buckle around her waist and the empty alcove near the devilish face...]

Bearfoot_Adam
08-03-2010, 07:36 PM
"maybe" puts lid back on box.

Borodeva
08-04-2010, 02:39 PM
"Let's see what sort of magic is at work here while we're waiting for Gisele."

[Casts Detect Magic on all the treasures and all our possessions (including the belt I'm wearing and the wand I have) and scans the room itself as well, hoping to get info on the types and strengths of all magics around.]

wizarddog
08-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Madoka cast her detect magic. The belt buckle radiates no magic. No magic radiates from the artifacts in the niches.

However, the niches themselves radiate strong conjuration (Summoning) magic.
The symbols on the door all radiate moderate abjuration magic.
The wand radiates weak illusion (Glamer) magic.
The light balls above radiate moderate Enchantment magic.

Borodeva
08-06-2010, 10:56 PM
[Appraise the belt buckle, then approach the face carving with a hole in its mouth on the far wall and check that whole area for traps.]

wizarddog
08-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Madoka examines the belt buckle, It appears to be made of gold and should be worth about 50gp. It might have been worth if not for the sockets show in where jewels that once adorn it have been pried off.

Madoka approaches the far wall and examines the face. It is made of stonework. It appears to have several small holes where the mouth is open, similar to what was observed in the other chamber. She detects no obvious trap or trick at the stone face.

Borodeva
08-07-2010, 05:34 PM
"I bet this test somehow involves NOT taking any of the treasures. Maybe if we walk all the way to this door here with all the treasures in their original places. It looks like we need to turn to smoke again and pass through these small holes in this mouth. (points to the open mouth.) By the way, all those alcoves radiate summoning magic. I bet if we try to take any of the treasures something nasty will be summoned to attack us. Let's wait for Gisele to show up, then we can test my theory."

[waits for Gisele.]

Bearfoot_Adam
08-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Leans against a wall and sits

wizarddog
08-10-2010, 04:38 AM
Gisele appears. She seems quite relieved to see you and having her illness removed.
[DM CaptainShar is away for a bit so Gisel is being run as a DMNPC till then]

Borodeva
08-10-2010, 03:38 PM
"Nice of you to join us! Are you injured?"

[replaces the belt buckle back in the left alcove.]

"I don't like the looks of these alcoves with golden treasures. We were supposed to resist the lure of gold. The captain took this buckle and he's murdered now. Let's first approach the far mouth together after not touching the loot. If nothing happens and we are unable to pass through the mouth, we'll have to start opening some doors. Sound reasonable?"

[leads the group to the far mouth with all the treasures untouched and checks for a way to pass.]

wizarddog
08-11-2010, 04:06 AM
Gisel responds that she suffered from some damage but once she drunk the last drink she felt better.

The group approaches the other face and fine nothing out of the ordinary. Gisel thinks the opening of door may be the only option.

Borodeva
08-11-2010, 01:21 PM
"Last time the serpent symbol was the blessing of the gods, and that one was the one that let us turn to gas and pass through the small holes in the wall. I say we go serpent again."

[Checks serpent door on the right for traps, then opens it if no one speaks up to stop her.]

Bearfoot_Adam
08-11-2010, 11:11 PM
((sounds good to me))

wizarddog
08-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Madoka checks the door. Based on her detect magic and her keen trap skills she realizes that the symbol of the serpent may trigger the abjuration magic if tampered with. She also realizes she can't find a way to open the door by standard means. There is no handle nor evidence of hinges.

Gisel notes that the symbol of the serpent on this door is different than what they observed on the font in the other chamber.

CaptainShar
08-16-2010, 05:01 PM
"Perhaps this one is an opposing serpent. It does not look as the other did."

Borodeva
08-17-2010, 05:06 PM
"Crap! How do we open these doors without setting off the summoning?"

[recaps and explains what she knows about the various magics she detected.]

DM: Do any of the doors in this room have any knobs or hinges or any other indication that they can be opened at present?

wizarddog
08-18-2010, 03:41 AM
(Giving you heads up that this week my wife is hogging the CPU while attending a weeklong online retreat --don't ask--so posting will be sporadic a bit)

Madoka sees no evidence of hinges or knobs on any doors. Though if she was to guess, by their wear, they slide to the left. The one with the devil face seems to have the most wear than any of them.

CaptainShar
08-19-2010, 11:05 AM
"It looks like the captain took the devil door, so perhaps that's where the captain's bones need to go," Gisele says, hefting them in her basket. "And didn't the Skrag say something about the captain's skull being the key? Maybe we should try that, although it seems a bit silly." She takes the skull out of the basket and points it at all the doors, seeing if any of the open.

Also, keeping an eye out for any treasures that may have been tampered with earlier, that may be holding the Skrag's curse.

Borodeva
08-19-2010, 01:33 PM
"Indeed. This might be interesting... Perhaps you need to touch it to the laughing face symbol on the door."

wizarddog
08-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Gisele touches the devil face with the mouth of the skull.

The runes on the door glow and the soft hiss of stone is heard as the door slides to the left revealing a 5' a darken corridor. Madoka, with her low light vision, see it continues about 20 feet and into another chamber. The smell of decay is prominent.

CaptainShar
08-20-2010, 03:13 PM
"Whaddaya know? Silly wins in demon temples."

Allow Madoka to scout ahead.

Borodeva
08-20-2010, 03:43 PM
"Looks like this is the way. Anyone wanna go first? Hehe, didn't think so. I'm guessing this next area is the Test of Blood, so get ready for a fight!"

[Checks for traps ahead, then moves ahead leading the group with her Continual Flame feather tucked in her cap. What do I see in the chamber as I approach?]

CaptainShar
08-21-2010, 05:01 PM
"I don't know how much help I'll be with all the patching up we've been doing lately," Gisele warns. She pulls out her crossbow, though.

Bearfoot_Adam
08-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Follows behind Madoka, Crossbow at the ready.

wizarddog
08-22-2010, 04:03 AM
Narrow Corridor of stone leads to a musty, foul smelling chamber of 30x30. Aligned along the walls are several stacked crates and chest of various design, craftsmanship and aged wood. Heavy large locks adorn them. In the 15x15 center of the chamber the floor is covered in a what looks like a large selection of black fur rugs. A tall wooden chair with a small table rests in the center of the chamber. On the table is a large book; pages jut out, stuffed in between the volume.

Seated in the chair is the rotted remains of a humanoid shaped person, decked in once fine silk shirt, leather pants and tall boots. The smell is obviously from his rotting remains and maggots crawl over the body and through the rotted flesh. The sound of flies buzzing by break the silence of this dismal den. A gold ring glints on its flesh peeling finger still gripping a curved dagger in its palm.

Borodeva
08-22-2010, 01:33 PM
"Now this looks pleasant..."

[rolls eyes, then checks for traps, moving ahead to the book. starts flipping through carefully, checking the pages jutting out first.]

CaptainShar
08-22-2010, 10:34 PM
"Yechhh!" Gisele whispers. "This is exactly why I try to stay OUT of the messier guild operations."

She looks around for anything that might relate to the captain or the Skrag, staying a good distance away from the body.

Bearfoot_Adam
08-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Waits for the all clear from Madoka

wizarddog
08-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Gisele reckons this must be the captains Vault as he spoke of in his journal.

Madoka finds no booby trap anywhere, though she finds the chamber... disturbing.

Madoka looks at the other book and notes the first half must be another journal by the Captain while the jutting pages seem to be another handwriting. The ink used seems to have been dried blood. At first it appears to be the journal a man called Fenris, which she concludes was the Captain's first mate. He describes that he was imprisoned in the vault some time ago (nearly a year) after betraying the captain over a matter of a share promised of booty. The Captain basically left him in there to rot. In the last entries of the torn pages he starts going on in babbles about the treasure should be his (i.e. "mine...it's mine...my treasure...my share...") which covers a good three pages full.

Barnabas notices (because Orcs are more privy to this sort of carnage) that their is a large dried blood stain on the rug directly below the fur. The glint of a knife is noted smeared in the mess of the rug. He traces the blood that must have emanated from a slashed wrist on the corpse. Barnabas concludes the man died from blood draining from his body.

Borodeva
08-24-2010, 03:56 PM
"Looks safe here, just nasty. You guys can come in. OK, so let's review. Our first mission was to return the Captain's bones to his treasure vault and not mess with the loot. I think this is the vault so I guess we just leave the bones on the biggest treasure chest here. Second, we have to break the curse on the Skrag. I haven't seen any signs yet of a totem or evil magic that would be the source of the curse on the Skrag. Did I miss something? Maybe we have to try one of the other doors in that last room? I wonder if we pick up a treasure and touch it to the corresponding door if the door will open. Or maybe picking up the treasure just sets off the summoning trap designed to catch thieves? Gah! Any thoughts?"

Bearfoot_Adam
08-25-2010, 09:26 PM
"hm, man sliced his own veins. Cowards way to go."

CaptainShar
08-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Once you reach the central chamber lay my lips upon the statue of the Gorgon. It is from that the seal which will open and reveal my treasure. Place my bones in the chamber and begone..."is what the captain said. Was there a Gorgon in the last room? Otherwise, I agree with Madoka's plan. I think the Skrag's curse is somewhere in the main chamber, according to that song he sang us."

Gisele peers back into the other room and the passageway for hints of a Gorgon.

Borodeva
08-26-2010, 12:45 AM
"Apparently the devil face is the 'gorgon.' The Skrag also said there would be an 'artifact' in the Captain's Vault to remove our curse. What's this knife here? There's also supposed to be an artifact or a location to break the Skrag's imprisonment. It's gotta be through one of the other doors. I have a bad feeling we still need to face the Path of Blood. I'm gonna search this room carefully. The Skrag didn't say we can't search, just not to take anything."

[picks up the knife and the ring from the finger of the corpse and examines both carefully, then continues to 20-search the entire room for contents and secret doors/passages/compartments.]

wizarddog
08-26-2010, 03:20 AM
Gisle imagines that the captain was a learned man... from his writings in the two journals. Perhaps there are more to be found that can shed light on what it is her comrades seek.

The dagger appears ordinary and blood stained. When Madoka reaches to examine the ring a slurring voice starts to mumble around the party. The babbling seems to say, "...mytreasuremybootymytreasuremybootymyshare..."

A dark figure suddenly appears in the door way. It limps forward, yet no foot falls are heard as it lumbers. The shape is a twisted form of dark flaying shadows and the intense jabbering is becoming quite annoying from it...

CaptainShar
08-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Back away from the figure and train my crossbow on it. Make a mental note to re-read the captain's journal if the shadow turns out not to be a threat.

(OOC: Can you repost the info. from the captain's journal for easy reference? Thanks.)

Borodeva
08-26-2010, 12:49 PM
[leaves the ring alone and puts the knife down, hoping the shadowy form goes away and the jabbering stops.]

"The journal said

'This be my Journal of One Lawrence Salavard, Captain of the Sea Hag. If you be reading this Journal, then I am dead. Should you have broken into my desk, not opening from my Key, to find this book, then I know I was betrayed by my men. While I was alive, I secretively protected my hoard for many years through dark magic. Any attempt to use magic to learn its location will fail. Nor does my spirit have that information, for I have purposely erased it from my memory. Only this Journal reveals the location of my Hoard and only by following these directions can one hope to find and open it.

Those who come seeking my journal, without my blessing, are also in for a surprise. The lock to my desk I acquired is no ordinary needle trap. It has been bane by dark forces and the poison that flows through any fool who opens it will soon die within the day. That is, unless they find my bones and bring them to my hoard, so I may rest amongst my treasure, for there in my hoard lies the antidote. In any case, opening requires that my lips be pressed against the seal in order for it to open, so you must find my remains if you wish to feast your eyes on the beauty of my plunder.

If you be men of Honor, you will fulfill my request. If you be scoundrels, you die a horrible death if you ignore my request. Return my bones to my hoard if you wish to save yourself.

Once you discovery my remains, the path you take is secret. Through the water cavern beyond the ice tunnel lies the remains of a cold and dark temple. I know not its purpose, but the remains of those who have sought it out should not be disturbed less you wish foul spirits to bring their wrath upon you. I warn you now, those of weak minds and lofty ideals will find this path most treacherous. Do not let your guard down. Once you reach the central chamber lay my lips upon the statue of the Gorgon. It is from that the seal which will open and reveal my treasure. Place my bones in the chamber and begone...'

if I remember correctly. So there must be some antidote in this chamber. Let's search carefully without touching this guy's booty! [points to the corpse and snickers]. After that, let's read the rest of this book cover to cover. Reading has always been good for us. [sighs]"

wizarddog
08-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Madoka lays the ring and dagger down on the ground, hoping to please the creature.She notices the dagger starting to glow green as the creature approcahes. It stops advancing once the two items are placed on the floor, but the constant babbling runs through everyones head.

Moments later Barnabas, notice that Gisel and Madoka both stop in mid sentence from their conversation and begin to babble themselves saying "journalcaptainsaysjournel captainsaysbones..." and they stand in some sort of trance babbling themselves along with the creature. Whether from dim wit or strong will, he seems unaffected by the annoying babble...but his comrades under some sort of foul magic!

CaptainShar
08-27-2010, 12:02 PM
(Yippee! /sarcasm)

Bearfoot_Adam
08-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Puts a meaty hand on both women, and shakes. "Hey! You two cut it out now. No time for sing a long."

CaptainShar
08-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Gisele inwardly hopes that her Kalashtar mental strength is enough to break free from whatever this is.

Borodeva
08-30-2010, 05:09 PM
"huh-huh-huh-thissucks yeah-yeah..."

wizarddog
08-30-2010, 08:27 PM
The strong arm of the orc manages to wake Gisel and Madoka from their stupor. They both do their best to avoid falling into the trance of the babbling creature. The intense and annoying noise is difficult to filter out.

The creature does not move from its position but sways back and forth continuing its babbling rhetoric.

"...mybootymytreasurenomoretakenbetray..".

Borodeva
08-31-2010, 12:51 AM
"As I was saying, there must be some antidote in this chamber. Let's search carefully without touching this guy's booty! [points to the corpse and snickers]. After that, let's read the rest of this book cover to cover. Reading has always been good for us. [sighs]"

[Starts 20-searching the entire room for the antidote. Failing to find it, then begins to read the journal found in this room cover to cover...]

CaptainShar
08-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Reads the captain's journal.

wizarddog
08-31-2010, 08:22 PM
Gisel looks over the journal you originally found. It appears to have been written about six months ago and contains all the information regarding his suspicion that his first mate was dealing with some strange and powerful allies. The Captain began to suspect his life was is in danger and tried to gather allies in his crew but found none. The disappearance of the navigator nearly a year ago (most likely the crewman who was locked in the vault) had turned the rest of the crew against him. Only his "powers" kept the crew in line for so long before being betrayed. Hence, the last entry of his death and the curse was written.

From what little Madoka read of the journal on the table, the book is over a year old. Someone will have to pick it up and read it.

Madoka notes about 10 large sea chest are located in the chamber, each with a large padlock. Five of them seem to have some old rusty standard locks, one has a shiny new padlock, two have some odd looking locks that look like cylinders with runes on them, one has no lock what so ever, and the last has a lock with a pick sticking out of it.

The form contimues to block the doorway, and now the bbaling is really starting to get on the orcs nerves "....myteasuremtbootybetrymeformegold..."

Bearfoot_Adam
08-31-2010, 08:35 PM
"Hey! Shut up you!"

Borodeva
09-01-2010, 01:35 AM
"I'm gonna open this chest with no lock if it looks safe. The antidote's gotta be around here somewhere. Why don't you read that journal on the table, Gisele? I didn't have time to read much yet."

[Checks the chest with no lock for traps, then opens it if it looks safe.]

CaptainShar
09-01-2010, 01:13 PM
'Personal drama.' Gisele closes the journal with a snap. 'Let's try this one instead.' She reads the book from the vault.

wizarddog
09-02-2010, 01:59 PM
As Gisel approaches the other journal the twisting form flattens itself into a strange whisping puddle, skirts down the stone floor between Barnadas legs and immediately reforms itself between Gisel and the journal. It contiues to babble, this time in Gisel's face; "....mybootytmytreasuremycaptainbetryamytreasuremyb ooty....".

Barnabas notices that the dagger on the floor "flickers" as the creature passes through it.

Madoka open the trunk and finds it contains several books of various design and wear. She counts about 20 in all.

Borodeva
09-02-2010, 02:52 PM
"This is odd to say the least. Let's see what we've got here..."

[casts Detect Magic and scans the chests, the dagger, the creature, and the rest of the contents of the room for the presence, strength, and types of magic...]

Bearfoot_Adam
09-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Looks for something Big and heavy, if nothing is more appropriate his mace will do, And tries to smash the dagger.

---------- Post added at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

"Here, take dis you stupid song singing ghost, Barnabas Tired of you."