PDA

View Full Version : Chapter Five: At Death's Door



Pages : 1 [2] 3

Borodeva
09-03-2010, 02:35 PM
OOC: Wondering if the dagger is Ghost Touch and is thus the way to kill this ghost thing. Equally likely that it's the source of the ghost. Who knows?

"Doh! We might NEED that dagger!"

wizarddog
09-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Madoka begins to cast her detect magic and finds quite of few auras:

She detects magic on the cylinder locks.
She detects magic in the chest with the pick stuck in the lock.
She detects magic on the ring on the corpse.
She detects magic on the dagger.
She detects magic on one of the chest on the bottom of the three chests stack together.
And she detects magic in one chest with the new lock.

(more info as the round progresses)

Just as Barnabas was about to smash the dagger with his mace, Madoka shouts out. Gisel manages to push Barnabas to the side and is mace smacks into the ground, cracking the stone floor and missing the dagger.


The creature continues to babble, unfazed by the turn of events
"...mybootymytreasurebetraymycapatinmydesiremybooty ..."

Borodeva
09-03-2010, 05:03 PM
"Whew, let's put this thing out of its misery! Barnabus, try the dagger! I'll give it a good blast!"

[5-steps for a clear shot around Barnabus, then lets loose with an Eldritch Blast into the face of the creature!]

Bearfoot_Adam
09-03-2010, 05:18 PM
"Oh, we could try that too." Picks up the dagger and goes to swing at the ghost.

CaptainShar
09-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Gisele stands out of the way.

wizarddog
09-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Gisel jumps out of the way as Madoka blast the creature with her magic. It howls from the blast. [3 points of damage]. Barnbas move up and tries the stab the creature with the dagger but as he thrust with the dagger, the creature is absorded into the ground below him him.

It then emerges behind Madoka and tendril emerges and wraps around her neck. Her mind is suddenly flooded with sounds of a thousand babbling voices layered in insanity. She screams out in pain. [3 points wisdom drain]. It continues to babble, but after the attack on Madoka, Gisel and Baranbas now hear the faint sound of a female voice babbling with it:

"....mybootymustliftthecursemytreasurefindthevault. ...

Borodeva
09-07-2010, 04:40 AM
DM: Is the tendril a reach weapon? Is it still attached to me right now?

"Ahhh, stab it while I distract it! My brain hurts!"

[I delay and let Barnabus take another stab at the creature while it is focused on me, then come out of delay before the creature acts. (Plan to 5-step away then blast it again with my Eldritch Blast if I think that won't provoke or give it another free shot.)]

CaptainShar
09-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Gisele fires off her crossbow bolt at it, unsure if her psionic attacks will do anything against this sort of creature.

(I tallied it all up and I currently have 5 of 16 PP left.)

Bearfoot_Adam
09-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Stabs again

wizarddog
09-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Madoka steps back and blast the creature with her eldritch power, the creature dodges to the side and her blast explodes on the wall behind it.

Gisel aims her crossbow and fires only to watch as the creature dodge her bolt effortlessly.

Barnabas walks up and jabs the dagger into the creature. He feel solid mass at the end of his blade and the creature howls in through its babble. [8 points of damage]. The creature turns its attention to Barnabas and reaches its wispy limbs towards him. Any strength it appeared to gain from attacking Madoka seems to have vanished.

Barnabas, quick for an orc, dodges the wispy tendrils and is unharmed.

Borodeva
09-08-2010, 12:37 PM
"That's it! I knew I recognized that glow! Let's finish this spirit off and put it to rest!"

[5-steps again to get another clear shot and blasts with her Eldritch power. Uses Knowledge: Arcana to identify the creature and shouts any useful info to the group.]

CaptainShar
09-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Gisele delays to hear more useful information from Madoka, or heal anyone who needs it.

Bearfoot_Adam
09-09-2010, 07:16 PM
One more time

wizarddog
09-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Madoka, unfortunately can not recall anything in her Arcane studies that describe this sort of creature. All she knows (General Knowledge check) is that is some sort of ghost like creature. What she does know, that anything not magic is certainly not going to affect it! Barnabas has heard of such a creature himself from old campfire stories. Gisel has not heard anything about "ghosts".

Crackling energy erupts from the her hands but the creature shimmers to the side and the blast hits the wall behind it. Barnabas stabs the dagger again into the creature striking firm in what he hopes is the gut [6 points of damage]. The tendril wrap around Barnbas's neck and starts to strangle him.
Horrific visions enter his brain of foul tentacles and hot breath, a stinging in his eye, and twitch in his lips. The Orc shouts the most horrid cry Gisel and Madoka have ever heard. [Critical hit; 8 points of wisdom drain] He crumples to the ground in fetal position, the dagger scurries to the feet of Gisel. The foul creature begins to babble with a now deep slurred voice

"...mybootymytreasuredon'tknowmuchaboutbooksandstuf ffmybooty.."

Borodeva
09-10-2010, 01:48 PM
"Sh*T!! Grab the dagger, girl, and stab it while I blast it! Unless you can heal brain drain???"

[Blasts again, then draws her own dagger while 5-stepping in to flank the ghost with Gisele.]

CaptainShar
09-10-2010, 02:44 PM
"I've never encountered damage like this before! Ahh!" Gisele is kind of freaking out, but scoops up the dagger, dropping her crossbow in her haste. She swings at the creature with it.

Bearfoot_Adam
09-11-2010, 01:05 AM
"ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

wizarddog
09-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Madoka blast at the creature but it dodges her Eldrith power, she moves up to flank with Gisel. Gisel attempts to strike the creature with the dagger but the form wisps around her and it shrinks into the ground, reappearing behind Gisel in its dark shadowy form. Despite its quick movement, Gisel whirls around and slashes the creature(AoO). It digs deep into solid mass and the creature howls. [ 5 points of damage].

The babble of the creature is incessant, but for a brief moment, Madoka gets a bit of clarity in her head, as if sanity was restored, if only slightly [heal on 1 point of wisdom drain]

In Barnaba's dreamy head visions of withering worms with heads of dead orcs, humans and everyone else he has every met, babble instantly in his ears. One of the heads looks similar to the corpse lying in the heap in the chamber. They shout horrific slurs of insults in orchish and common. They urge him to rape, kill, devour everything. His eyes flick open.

Borodeva
09-11-2010, 09:14 PM
"My brain, it's getting clearer! If we can only hold out a little longer, Barnabus may recover. Let's keep on this thing!"

[5-steps in a circle towards the creature, then lets loose with another Eldritch Blast.]

CaptainShar
09-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Gisele holds the knife as steadily as she can and slashes at the ghostly being again, moving to flank with Madoka.

wizarddog
09-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Madoka blast squarely at the creature, but her magic simply passes through it and hits the wall behind with an explosion. Gisel waits for the creature to move towards Madoka (which it does) and she drives the dagger into its back. (5 points of damage). The creature lets out a even more hideous howl and turns on Gisel. A tendril wraps around her head and she screams in pain (2 points of wisdom drain) as horrid visons enter her head. The creature begins to babble in Gisels voice: "...mybootymytreasureneverencounteredmytreasurelivi ngalie...."

Borodeva
09-14-2010, 03:39 PM
"Crap, my blast just went through it! Stab it again!"

[delays for Gisele to strike again with flanking, then 5-steps away from the ghost and blasts again, hoping to catch it in solid form.]

DM: Is Barnabus conscious and able to act? His eyes opened a post or so back...

CaptainShar
09-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Gisele takes another swing at it, feeling a bit like she's been mentally winded.

Bearfoot_Adam
09-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Barnabas Jerks his neck as blood fills the whites of he eyes. Without coming to a complete upright posture he lunges for Madoka, his long fingers going for her throat trying to send his nails into the flesh on the back of her neck.

wizarddog
09-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Madoka aims her eldritch blast at the creature but completely misses as the lunging form of Barnabas leaps on her. She tries to strike him with her dagger but is overpowered by his strong hands and both go prone on the ground. He grasps his hands around her throat holds her trying to throttle her.

[DM Barnabas and Madoka heal 1 point of wisdom; both are in a grapple.]

Gisel strikes at the ghost, and despite losing her advantage with Madoka at the flank, and digs the dagger into the creature. [3 points of damage]

The foul shadowy creature again strikes at her, wrapping its tendrils around her head. Another wave of horrid images, blood and flesh being torn, enters her head. [2 points wisdom drain].

CaptainShar
09-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Out of the corner of her eye, Gisele catches Barnabas's treachery. She's even more angered, however, by the wisdom drain. She continues to stab at the creature, starting to get the hang of it now.

Borodeva
09-16-2010, 05:43 PM
"What the FFFFF, pig! Get off me!"

[Tries to blast the ghost again before getting held fast and steels herself against the throttling of the huge orc.]

Bearfoot_Adam
09-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Continues, to strangle and throttle Madoka against the rug on the floor.

wizarddog
09-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Madoka, while grappled, tries to blast the ghost. As she aims her eldritch blast, the orc smacks her across the face (AoO; 6 points of non lethal damage) and her blast fires off in a wild direction. Barnabas continues to strangle her [5 points non lethal damage]. Gisel, with her clouded head tries to strike at the shadowy creature but it easily dodges her and whips it tendrils around her head again [1 point wisdom drain].

Briefly, Gisel thought she heard a heavy voice enter her head, but it was too quick to decipher. The babbling creature continues its monotone voice: "...mybootymyterasurewehaveitnowIknowsomethingIcant beliveitmytreasure...."

[Madoka and Barnabas heal 1 point of wisdom drain]

CaptainShar
09-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Don't. Steal. My. Powers!

Attack again.

Bearfoot_Adam
09-19-2010, 11:49 AM
By the neck Barnabas lifts Madoka up and slams her head onto the floor, mouth foam and spittle splashing on her face.

Borodeva
09-19-2010, 10:31 PM
"Arrrgggghhhh, I'm comin' Elizabeth!!!!"

[Chokes for air and Bluffs (+14) to play dead in hopes the dim-witted Orc releases her. Tries to keep one eye slightly open in the bluff to see what goes on.]

wizarddog
09-20-2010, 02:37 AM
Madoka feigns death but the Orc seems to be unconcerned as it continues to throttling her body. Madoka feels her head thud against the floor (5 points non lethal damage). Then she hears the orc shout in her face: "Cleanse by Fire ! Cleanse by Fire!" He then releases her, falls back on his bottom, huffing and recoverying from his insanity. [Madoka and Barnabas both restore 1 wisdom].

Gisel strikes at the phantom again, the dagger digs deep into its shadowy form [ 5 points of damage]. The form looks more frail than it was when she first saw it, yet it presses its attack, wrapping its shadowy tendrils around her head [4 points of wisdom drain] A vison of a cloaked form enters here head and a soft slurring voice begins to chant to her "Cleanse by Fire, Cleanse by fire" it is but for a moment, then her senses come back, if only briefly (less her wisdom is drained to 0).

The babbling creature still continues, but now voices from Madoka, Barnabas, and Gisel are prominent in its recitation: "...mybootywizardschooldropoutorcoutcastkalistarreb el...."

CaptainShar
09-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Now with a great deal of her wisdom drained, Gisele backs away from the ghost as quickly as possible, intending to run back into the main room. (Full withdraw, let's pull back and regroup, folks.)

Borodeva
09-20-2010, 02:49 PM
"Barnabus, withdraw away from that ghost and your brain will feel better! Fight???? OK then, duck!

[Madoka backs away to the edge of the room then unleashes another blast at the ghost, keeping her fingers crossed.]

Bearfoot_Adam
09-20-2010, 07:26 PM
"Dagger, Now! Blast It!"

CaptainShar
09-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Gisele thrusts the dagger at Barnabas and continues her retreat.

Bearfoot_Adam
09-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Lays into the ghost

Borodeva
09-22-2010, 12:11 AM
[Madoka backs away to the edge of the room then unleashes another blast at the ghost, keeping her fingers crossed.]

wizarddog
09-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Madoka and Barnabas, now clear headed rise from the stone floor. Madoka blast the creature with her eldritch blast striking squarely [ 3 points of damage]. Gisele withdraws from the fight and tosses the dagger to Barnabas. Barnabas grabs the dagger and charges the creature, but it sinks into the floor right in front of him and emerges behind Madoka. Its tendrils reach out to her but Madoka ducks just as they slice through the air above her like wisps of smoke.

[All PC's heal 1 point of wisdom]

CaptainShar
09-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Gisele slows down a bit when she reaches the big room, and looks around for a source of flame, the ghost's words echoing through her mind.

Bearfoot_Adam
09-22-2010, 11:44 PM
With a scream of frustraion Barnabas charges again at the ghost

Borodeva
09-23-2010, 01:45 AM
"When it comes for me again, let it have it, Barnabus!"

[5-steps away from the ghost, blasts it again with her Eldritch Blast, then stands fast, holding her dagger with a shaky hand to flank with Barnabus.]

Edit to add: [Knowledge: Planes (+5) on the ghost to ID it and its powers when I have time.]

wizarddog
09-25-2010, 03:48 AM
Madoka blast at the creature, her eldritch power passes right through the creature, nearly hitting Barnabas. Barnabas waits for the creature to advance on Madoka and charges the creature, digging the dagger deep into its back [6 points of damage]. The ghostly figure, after shuddering from Barnabas's blow, immediately sinks down into the corpse of the human pirate. Gisel looks for a source of flame and finds only a unlit lantern hanging above 10'. It appears to be on a pully from a rope on the other side of the room.

Madoka can only deduce that this some kind of undead; if she had attended seminary at the Citadel once in awhile, she may have known more about spirits. She only knows that it is not an outsider or extraplanar creature.

Bearfoot_Adam
09-26-2010, 11:18 AM
"Is it dead...er?"

CaptainShar
09-27-2010, 11:27 AM
"I think we need to burn it," Gisele says. "Here's a lantern."

She lets it down from the ceiling with the pully system to see if there's any oil in it, or if it's one of those convenient self-flinting ones that is easy to light.

Borodeva
09-27-2010, 01:58 PM
"It's some kind of undead. It kept saying 'cleanse by fire.' Maybe Gisele's onto something. Let's go! Barnabus, can you drag the body away from this loot a bit so we don't torch all the goodies?"

[Checks out the lantern, and looks for oil and flint to light up the corpse. If the lantern doesn't have such materials, Madoka has them in her pack.]

Bearfoot_Adam
09-27-2010, 07:36 PM
"Yeh"

wizarddog
09-28-2010, 09:30 PM
The brutish orc pulls the corpse from its chair and into the center of the room. Gisel lowers the lantern and finds it to full of oil. Madoka takes out her flint and steel. Together the thieves douse the corpse with oil and it ignites from Madokas sparks. It burns well into a charged skeleton.

By this time, all of the visions in everyones heads clear out [restore all wisdom drain]. But both Gisel and Barnbas shared a very disturbing similar vision...

CaptainShar
09-29-2010, 12:49 PM
"Whew, I feel a lot better now. Nasty thing."

Gisele looks around. "Everyone okay? I want to drop these bones off and get out of here."

Also, if the skeleton is actually "charged" rather than "charred," Gisele will take some of the magnetic bones and put them in her basket.

Borodeva
09-29-2010, 01:30 PM
"I believe we still need to find the actual antidote that is purported to be here. We're gonna have to examine some of these chests. I was Detecting Magic when that stupid ghost attacked. This is what I found:

Madoka opens the trunk (with no lock at all) and finds it contains several books of various design and wear. She counts about 20 in all.


Madoka begins to cast her detect magic and finds quite of few auras:

She detects magic on the 2 cylinder locks on the two chests.
She detects magic in the 1 chest with the pick stuck in the lock.
She detects magic on the ring on the corpse.
She detects magic on the dagger.
She detects magic on one of the chests on the bottom of the three chests stacked together.
And she detects magic on the one chest with the new lock.


You guys have any suggestions where we should start looking? I'm gonna start flipping through these books cuz reading seems to be helpful."


[carefully begins to flip through each of the 20 found books, stopping if she sees something interesting, otherwise just noting the names and general contents of each book.]

Bearfoot_Adam
09-29-2010, 07:19 PM
"yeah, What about dis thing?" Pointing to the knife.

Borodeva
09-29-2010, 08:45 PM
"It's magic. Do you think cutting myself is the antidote? Seems like the knife and ring belonged to the pirate, not the captain, so technically if we take those we wouldn't be stealing HIS loot. I'm just sayin'."

Bearfoot_Adam
09-29-2010, 11:52 PM
"Unless he stole the dagger from the captain. I don't know how loose I want to go with his instructions. I help you look though don't know where to begin." Looks around the room for anything that might be helpful.

wizarddog
09-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Madako begins looking at the journals. A quick check see that they date back nearly ten years. [What would she like to specifically find a passage regarding?]

Barnabas begins to look about the chamber for something "useful". [The mores specific, the better chance of discovery]

CaptainShar
09-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Gisele will look through the books for any descriptions of curses, relating either to this place in general, to the captain, or to the Skrag.

Borodeva
09-30-2010, 06:01 PM
"Hmm, awful lot of books here... Looks like you've got it covered Gisele. I'm gonna check out some of these chests. These two here don't have any magic, Barnabus. Maybe they're safe."

[Points out the two chests with no magic to the orc, then checks them for traps before giving Barnabus the all-clear.]

Bearfoot_Adam
09-30-2010, 11:36 PM
If given the all clear will try to open them the orc way if locked.

wizarddog
10-01-2010, 02:55 AM
Just to clarify:

Madoka notes about 10 large sea chest are located in the chamber, each with a large padlock. Five of them seem to have some old rusty standard locks, one has a shiny new padlock, two have some odd looking locks that look like cylinders with runes on them, one has no lock what so ever, and the last has a lock with a pick sticking out of it.

There are 5 chest that radiate no magic whatsoever. All the chest are stacked 3 up in 3 piles, except the one Madoka has opened containing the journals.

TOP Sea Chest w/new Lock.......Sea Chest with Pick Sticking Out.......Sea Chest#1
MIDDLE Sea Chest#2....................Sea Chest with Spindle#1.................Sea Chest #4
BOTTOM Sea Chest #3...................Sea Chest with Spindle#2................Sea Chest w/magic

She detects no traps on Sea Chest 1 and 4.

Gisel begins to go through the journals looking for Skrag, Place, and curses [Name a year 1-10]

CaptainShar
10-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Start with Year 1.

"Hey guys, I bet the chest with the new lock has been most recently tampered with. We should check that one out. And I bet whoever was trying to pick that other chest got hit with the same poison we did."

Borodeva
10-01-2010, 12:27 PM
"Alright, let's see about this new lock. Maybe you guys should back away just a tad."

[checks for traps on the chest and new lock, then proceeds to disarm traps/open lock when ready.]

Bearfoot_Adam
10-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Will go to work on the non trapped chests if I get the ok from Madoka

wizarddog
10-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Madoka examines the new lock on the chest. It appears to be a design she has seen before in the locksmith shops. The guild had been training footpads on trying to open it through conventual means unsuccessfully for several months. She detects nothing out of the ordinary about the sea chest itself.

Baranbas opens the first old sea chest #1. Standing on his tiptoes he looks to see the chest is full of 20 small tightly round bags. Touch one he feels the distinct shape and hardness of coin.

Gisels finds one of the first Journals, the wear and tear of it suggest it has had some traveling. The Entries begin of the Captain, then a 1st Mate working under a Bloody Jack Morgisten, terrorizing the sea. It goes further to the point that Bloody Jack gives a ship to the Captain to see his own way, and it describes the captains first few exploits in the region. The most notable find is his kidnapping of a smith he has hired to forge him some armor.

Bearfoot_Adam
10-02-2010, 11:24 PM
"Nothin of use in dis one"

CaptainShar
10-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Gisele continues on to the next journal.

Borodeva
10-04-2010, 12:50 PM
"Hmm, this is that b*tch lock that we've been trying to open at the Guild. I'm feeling lucky today... That next chest below should be safe, Barbabus."

[Takes 20 to open the new lock, sweating and gritting her teeth to try to figure it out.]

wizarddog
10-05-2010, 02:52 AM
Madoka begins to work on the lock. After only 3 second with her picks she hears a crunch like of small glass and a black oily liquid pours out of the lock getting all over her hands.

Baranbas will have to move the chest #1 to get to Chest #4.

Gisel manages to see that the second Journal starts with the Captain seizing of a Mercahnt ship called the "Swan of Avalon" before the incident with Madoka.

Borodeva
10-05-2010, 12:24 PM
DM: I had asked to check for traps on this "new lock" in post #311. Did I check and fail?

"Uhhh, I guess we STILL don't know how open this lock. Hold on a sec, Barnabus."

[Washes her hands off with water from her waterskin, then checks all chests and all locks in this room for traps, then continues to Take 20 to open this new lock now that the trap is apparently sprung.]

CaptainShar
10-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Gisele will keep reading until she finds something relevant to their curse or the
Skrag's curse.

Bearfoot_Adam
10-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Start moving boxes and opening

wizarddog
10-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Barbaba's lifts chest #1 and sets it aside. He opens chest #4 and finds collection of fine silk shirts, scarves, and other material bounded in the chest.

The oil on Madoka's hands does not seem to come off. She begins to work on the lock again, though the oil on her hands seems to smear over almost everything she touches.

Gisel begins a quick scan of books looking for the mention of the Skrag.

10 minutes pass.

Madoka manages to open the lock with a definite click.

Gisel in the journal listed some five years ago finds the first mention of the Skrag. The Captain and his crew had discovered the cave grotto and slew the original inhabitants in the cave (he described them as savages). While exploring, they came across the Skrag living in the chasm. Safe from the creature, they simply ignored it, feeding it a few prisoners for fun.

The Captain however discovered it was intelligent when he heard it hum a very sweet tune in its dreary cavern. The Captain then began to converse with the creature and learned he was part of some temple in the caverns. Wishing to see for himself this temple, he set off by himself to deep sections of the caves searching for the temple the Skrag mentioned.

It took six months but he managed to discover the hidden entrance to the temple and had his men clear a tunnel that lead to the ice cold pool. The Captain then went forward through the portal and barely escaped death from the deadly traps within. It was in the "Hall of Many Treasures" that the Captain discovered the belt buckle and the secret room you now stand in. The last entry in the journal mentions forgotten lore, ready to be plundered...

Borodeva
10-07-2010, 02:35 AM
"Woot! Got it! Now let's see what we've got here..."

[checks the lock and chest again for traps, then carefully opens the lid and begins to check the contents.]

CaptainShar
10-08-2010, 05:39 PM
"This is finally getting good! Hope the next one has what we want,"

Gisele opens the next journal.

Bearfoot_Adam
10-08-2010, 09:49 PM
"don't know how fun it is looking through loot we can't keep" Goes to work on the next chest

CaptainShar
10-09-2010, 11:56 AM
"Yeah, seriously. It's like the universe is taunting us."

wizarddog
10-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Madoka opens the chest and finds a large square box made of fine pine with brass hinges. To other side she finds a an assortment of 6 fine crystal goblets wrapped in silk. Amongst the goblets is what looks like a plain jar with a wax seal. The Jar is quite dirty on the inside but she thinks she something that looks like a small figurine.

Gisel begins the second journal. It details the Captains delve into the magic of four tomes he found in the chamber. The Captain then began to use the rituals in the tomes to increase his own magical powers. The rituals required the captain perform some human sacrifices and he set about using crewmen who crossed him as the source for blood and body parts. By the end of the journal the Captain began to perfect poisons and oils that allowed him to be unseen, sharpen his blades, and inflict horrid curses on his enemies. However, to the crews dismay, the captain seem little interested in plundering ships. The Captain begins to write about fearing his crew is out to kill him...


Barnabas ponders on the next chest he should open and wonders if the threat by the Captain's journal is legit or not....

Borodeva
10-09-2010, 04:57 PM
"How are we supposed to find this antidote? And will we even know it when we find it? Is it dangerous to keep looking even if we don't actually take anything? Pssssshhhhh..."

[Checks the fine pine box with brass hinges for traps, then opens it if it appears safe.]

CaptainShar
10-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Gisele pays careful attention to the parts describing poisons, looking for reference to antidotes, further details, recipes, etc.

wizarddog
10-12-2010, 02:56 AM
Nothing seems trapped on the box. She opens and her eyes are treated to an assortment of precious stones and gems: opals, emeralds, rubies, diamonds, sapphires etc.

Gisel skims further into the journal and comes across some specific references to curses and poisons the Captain had employed over the years. The description has found them quite nasty, with victims losing their eyes balls, flesh melted off bodies, and some even turned into slime. Most notable use of such curses used a small figurine fetish to focus the creation of curses and concoctions the captain would brew. The final part of the journal details how some members of a cult had contacted him and made a proposition...

Barnabas waits for his comrades to give him directions.

Borodeva
10-12-2010, 02:12 PM
"Nothing here but a fortune in gems. Pssshaww. Useless. What's that, Gisele? Some of the curses use a small figurine focus? Like this?"

[Madoka examines the plain jar with the wax seal, checking if the seal appears broken and trying to get a better look at the figurine inside without opening it. She also motions to Gisele to come over and look.]

CaptainShar
10-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Gisele brings the journal over and compares the figurine to the description.

"I wonder if destroying the figurine will stop the curse?" she says. She rereads the section on figurines to see if that's the most appropriate way to cancel a cursed poison. She will also read the bit about the cult.

wizarddog
10-14-2010, 01:20 AM
The description the Captain's Journal gives on the figurines is vague, but from what she deduces is that acquiring/creating a figurine is the first step in controlling its power. Looking further into the Cult she discovers the captain had dealings with a Sephia Gheonan. He traded one of his books for some platinum he greedily placed in his hoard. Several months later heard a massive explosion in the cavern just in front of the temple entrance. The cave has been unnaturally cold ever since and the body of Sephia Gheonan left to rot, for the Captain knew better than to approach it, sensing a great power had been released.

Madoka looks at the seal. It does not appear to be ancient. The figurine looks like a small stout black figure wearing robes. The craftsman ship is quite crude (to her standards). The only way she see she can release it is to break the seal or the jar itself.

CaptainShar
10-14-2010, 02:55 PM
"I... I don't know what to do. Maybe we can destroy the curse by breaking it, but what if that smashes us into a million pieces, too? Or maybe this one's the Skrag's curse, or maybe it's someone completely different! I don't want to die down here!"

Gisele is getting a bit worked up.

wizarddog
10-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Gisel awaits the others response; feeling edgy about their situation.

Bearfoot_Adam
10-20-2010, 10:55 PM
"You guys got da brains and da curse you tell me"

Borodeva
10-21-2010, 12:15 PM
"That figurine looks a little like that dead body we found in the ice cave. You guys think the captain cursed him and made him blow up? Anyways, there's some magic in the chest at the bottom of the stack. Let's get that one clear, Barnabus. I'll check it for traps while you open that one at the bottom there. That one has no traps.]

[Waits for Barnabus to unstack the chests then starts to 20-search the bottom one radiating magic for traps, while Barnabus now opens chest #4 that had no traps. Then starts taking 20 to disarm any trap she finds, or continues opening her chest if there is no traps.]

wizarddog
10-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Madoka moves over to allow barnabas to start unstacking the chest. The orc pulls two heavy chest over to the side, but loses his footing and bumps into Madoka and calamity occurs with chests being toppled, Madoka falling and barnbas with a chest stuck on his chest.

A crack is heard, like the sound of glass. A hiss is followed and a dark cloud envelops in the corner of the room. Gisel notices that the source seems to be from the jar Madoka was holding only a few moments ago.

The dark cloud swirls into a humanoid shape and disperses leaving a cloaked man in the corner of the room. His vestment under the cloak reveals he is the man of the cloth. He grips a silver holy symbol in one hand and a sleek dagger in the other.

Madoka recognizes the dagger and the way he holds it as member of the Theives Guild.

Gisel recognizes the Holy symbol belonging to St. Rubicon, a minor sect in the religious order of the thieves guild.

Barnabas recognizes the man himself! When he was wounded a year ago, this man tended his wounds at the Guild Hospice. He made an impression on Baranbas when he saw him gently tend his wound while he lifted the treasure off a dying man in the bed next to him.

[DM sorry for the railroad, but you guys were taking forever ;)]

HaeshkaManju
10-21-2010, 03:03 PM
After a few moments of shock in the realization that he is finally free, Tierinak blinks and looks around for the Captain. Maybe that depraved maniac had more in store. Looking around to see fellow members of the thieves' guild, the once sunken hope is rekindled.

"Barnabas! I see your leg recovered just fine from that roof-top scuffle. How in the name of the Saint of no return did you get yourself down here? And don't try to convince me it was just to find this here priest."

"Is the Captain still alive?"

[Is going to look around to size up the situation and determine if anyone needs healing.]

Borodeva
10-21-2010, 03:55 PM
"Er, welcome, I guess. How'd you get in that jar? I'm Madoka Ayukawa. And you? You wouldn't know anything about deadly poison curses, would you?"

[smiles sheepishly while sliding her guild dagger out and presenting it in a non-threatening manner, then offers her hand in friendship.]

Bearfoot_Adam
10-22-2010, 12:45 AM
Pushing the chest of himself Barnabas smirks "I got into this mess da way most men get into a mess... women. Barnabas kid ladies" putting up a placating hand. "Good seeing you Tierinak, uh when you become a genii?"

HaeshkaManju
10-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Putting away his dagger, and letting St. Rubicon's symbol dangle from his neck Tierinak replies, "It seems the Captain had some otherworldly powers on his side. One moment I was doing a little spelunking for the guild, next, I find myself stuck in the dinnerware."

Borodeva
10-22-2010, 02:52 PM
"Hmm, well that bast*rd got what he deserved. His men mutinied and killed him. Gisele here has been reading some of his journals. The real reason we're here is I have some poison death curse on me, and possibly Gisele, too. Supposedly there's an antidote in this hoard. The captain wrote that if we bring his bones to rest with his treasure we can find the antidote here, but so far, no luck. Got any ideas?"

[puts away her guild dagger and shrugs her shoulders, tired and frustrated.]

Bearfoot_Adam
10-23-2010, 12:54 AM
"Barnabas wish for to be king of the orcs."

Borodeva
10-23-2010, 02:12 AM
"Pssst, Barnabus. You have to rub his belly when you make your wish."

[snickers to herself.]

wizarddog
10-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Tierinak smells sulfur in the chamber and spots the ashen form of a humanoid burnt to cinders. A single silver ring from its burnt skeletal hand points at him.

Despite being imprisoned in the jar, Tierinak was aware of his surroundings for many months until stored away. He knows the Captain kept his most prized possessions in two chest with strange spindle locks. He knows that one particular member of the captain's crew was coveting another chest, claiming it belonged to him.

Most of the chest now lay strewed about the room.

HaeshkaManju
10-24-2010, 12:16 AM
[I'd like to make an intelligence roll to see if I can remember if the individual with the silver ring was the covetous crew member.]

"Which of you is running this little expedition? And, how did you, Madoka and Gisele, find yourselves in the holds of this curse? From the stench here I'm going to guess the Captain and crew met a fiery end. Have you broken the locks open yet on the the Captain's chests? From what I can recall off-hand as I had to stare out of that little jar, the Captain had to very special ones. I think that's probably where he kept most of his lore on the dark arts, and hopefully the answer to your problem."

Tierinak reaches over to the charred corpse. I will take the ring from him and study it.

"Anyone recognize this ring? Mayhaps it belonged to the Captain, and we should return it?

CaptainShar
10-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Gisele collects herself after the scare from the jar crashing.

"Guess I'll go back to reading these journals. Maybe he gets into more detail in a later section."

Borodeva
10-26-2010, 01:00 AM
"It's a long story... (begins to tell the whole story)... I'm working my way through these locks. Watch out, some of these traps are nasty."

[20-searches the two spindle locks and chests for traps, then starts to take 20 to open one of the locks if safe.]

wizarddog
10-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Tierinak deduces that the covetous crew member and the charred remains are one in the same. The Silver ring, once appearing plain, now upon close inspection has many runes carved into it. She recognizes the characters as elvish, but not the language.

Madoka finds that the lock with the tool already had its trap triggered. A small needle protrudes from it. She thinks she can open it up in no time. Five of the chest have old rusty locks, and she thinks she can open those if she takes her time. The Spindel locks are an enigma. While she detects no traps, they seem to be set with runes and spin around. She deuces that they have a cypher needed to open. Preliminary attempts to open them up prove ineffective. The Characters on the locks are dwarvish, perhaps these were made by gnomes.

Gisel continues the reading of the Journal. The wording and story start to become somewhat confusing, almost as bad as the journal Madoka had read in the ice chamber, with symbols diagrams and constant references to "The Eye". She is not sure if the captain is referring to the eye as himself or other entity. It is painful to read through. Towards the end it just begins to read off names "Yuri Ghovonich, Lowe Kalhnar, Beaven Khan, Ealornia Boldrich, are all she can make out.

However, there are moments of clarity. After going through about three volumes, she finds the captain has been detached from his crew's business, specifically that of 1st mate and his eventual betrayal. Gisel can see the captain was oblivious to the coup occurring around him and his last entry is a rant that he will teach them all to bow before him/The Eye.

Barnabas believes he could smash the old sea chest if he needed. He is unsure he would want to with the locks, for they may have something fragile inside.

Borodeva
10-26-2010, 02:53 PM
"This one with the broken pick is no prob. I'll have it open in a sec. I can handle those rusty ones, too, if you give me a minute. The spindle locks, those are tricky. I've never seen anything like them. (explains what she can tell about them)"

[unlocks the broken pick lock and lets Barnabus check out that chest, then proceeds to keep trying until all the rusty locks are open as well, alerting Barnabus each time a chest is open and safe.]

HaeshkaManju
10-27-2010, 05:41 AM
"Hmm.. well, I believe this individual may indeed be the first mate. Or at least a thief among thieves."

Tierinak holds onto the ring, intending to return it with the Captain's bones.

"Was anyone injured trying to break into here?"

CaptainShar
10-27-2010, 07:00 PM
"Thanks, Tierinak, but I'm all right. We had to drink a nasty burning potion to get in here, but it healed magically.

Barnabus may have a few scratches left from a zombie we fought earlier, but I mended him pretty well."

As Tierinak looks at Gisele, she seems vaguely familiar as some sort of peddler that used to hang around the Thieves Guild. He likely had no idea she had any magical powers (unless his master cleric was in the know and confided in him).

wizarddog
10-28-2010, 01:09 AM
The lock is opened in no time and Madoka begins to work on the other locks.

Gisel finds in the last journal a bunch of schematic drawings stuffed in the book. One catches her interest, an apparent small locked door on the underbelly of a ship. It's key appears to be a three pronged design like a trident.

Barnabas opens the chest and finds it contains twelve jars of various age, design, and wear in the chest.

HaeshkaManju
10-28-2010, 06:45 AM
Tierinak collects himself, scanning the room trying to remember anything important from his previous mission. He also readies his shield. Once Barnabas makes known the jars in the chest, Tierinak will cast "Detect Magic" and maintain concentration to learn what he can about them.

Bearfoot_Adam
10-28-2010, 11:20 AM
"Can Curses come in jars? Or just more clerics?"

Borodeva
10-28-2010, 11:43 AM
"I'm hoping for more clerics, myself. Seems like there could be anyone in those jars though, Barnabus. Get ready to check out more of these chests. I'm on a roll now. Tierinak, see if you can completely scan all the chests and locks. I detected some magic before, but I was interrupted by a ghost before I could learn much."

[continues to open the rusty lock chests, leaving the safe ones for Barnabus to open.]

CaptainShar
10-28-2010, 03:05 PM
"That still leaves us with our curse. Unless just bringing the bones back here was enough?"

Gisele tucks the whole stack of journals into her basket next to the bones. They might prove useful in the future.

She flips through the captain's journal that they found earlier, too, back to the section describing the curse. "It says in here there's an antidote in his horde. Have we run across any flasks or vials? Or maybe there's the antidote in one of those jars... or maybe more prisoners."

wizarddog
10-29-2010, 02:52 AM
Tierinack knows little of this room, having viewed it only through his imprisoned jar and the sounds that surround him. From his conversation with Gisel, he realizes that the cultist Sephia Gheonan was found dead in the frozen room; the others talk about and that Madoka holds his "journal".

His detection of magic reveals that all the jars radiate magic, after a few moments he begins to detect strong transmutation magic emanating from them.

Madoka continues to work on the locks easily; tossing them aside as she clicks them open.


Gisel, after reading the journals of the Captain, is unsure whether she can trust his word on anything, or at least to be taken literally. From her impression, what was once an honorable rogue had transformed into something cursed with paranoia and borderline insanity. Never-the-less, his incantations proved to be quite hideous. Gisel is also sure that not every jar is necessarily a prison as it was for Tierinack. Each one of his figures could represent a curse that has fulfilled its purpose or a curse ready to be released. This is just not one of her areas of knowledge, though she has gotten quite an education on the subject.

Barnabas examines the jars. There are four earthenware jars with old wax seals. There are two faded jars, dirty from the inside. There is jar full of some blackish liquid, a Jar full of some pinkish liquid, and the last has a clear liquid. Inside that jar, Barnabas can make out a small black figurine that looks like a minotaur. The last three jars appear to be newer, with figurines inside. One looks like a small dragon, another looks like a cloaked man, the last looks like a small baby.

HaeshkaManju
10-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Tierinak will separate individual jars, pulling one away from the others at a time, while maintaining concentration on Detect Magic, in order to distinguish individual aura types and strengths.

CaptainShar
10-29-2010, 02:18 PM
"Hey Tierinak, when the captain bottled you up, did he make notes about it anywhere? I want to see if he's recorded what's in these other jars."

Borodeva
10-29-2010, 05:00 PM
"Hmm, one of those jars of liquid could be the antidote. How the he*l will we know? I'm gonna check out these chests I just opened. Anyone want to help? What do you know about poison death curses, Tierinak? Don't clerics know about that stuff?"

[starts rummaging through the chests she just unlocked, looking for anything that catches her interest...]

HaeshkaManju
10-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Scratching at his chin,
"Hmm.. let me think a moment. The suspicious Saint, our patron Saint Rubicon does indeed teach much on this subject, I wonder if I can remember anything from those classes."

(Still maintaining concentration on detect magic until I have a firm idea of the magic going on with each jar. Then Tierinak will ponder the mystery at hand."

Bearfoot_Adam
10-30-2010, 04:42 PM
"We find out who dese people are and den we let them out, unless they real bad. Barnabas does not like people in cages. Even tiny people."

CaptainShar
10-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Gisele flips through the books again, hoping for a diagram on the spindle locks or more notes about the poison. She looks pretty nervous right now, since they have absolutely no idea how to break this curse.

OOC: Yo Mr. DM, if you've been "hinting" at something, now would be a great time to make the solution a little more obvious, or this is gonna be one short campaign.

wizarddog
10-31-2010, 11:56 AM
Tierinak concentrates more and discovers the four earthenware jars with old wax seals to have the most concentrate of magic. Madoka believes she recognizes one of the runes on the jar as very similar to the one the Skragg had on his chest.

The two faded jars, dirty from the inside have the faintest. The jars full of liquid appear pretty moderate. The last three jars appear to be newer, with figurines inside. One looks like a small dragon, another looks like a cloaked man, the last looks like a small baby. All three appear to very faint, giving the appearance they have yet to be fully utilized.

Tierinak is pretty sure that if their are any curse/antidotes, they would be found in these jars. He is pretty sure that the small baby token would be used in some sort of fertility spell. The dragon has many meanings but "Power" seems to be what comes to mind. The Cloaked man is a mystery... which could be what it represents... mystery or secrets. The jars of liquid he believes would be associated with some sort of other liquid; a wine or other draught...even poison.

Gisel begins flipping through the books searching for something. She finds nothing on the cypher locks but does come across an interesting diagram showing a figurine of a viper being placed in jar full of dark liquid. It is labeled "Deathsong". Another shows a figurine of man holding a flagon being placed in another. It reads "Sorrows". The last shows a minotaur being placed into jar labeled "Confusion".

Madoka and Barnabas rummage through the remaining trunks. She finds several fine parcels of clothing, silver wrought urns, candlesticks, silverware and other items most likely plundered. She finds a trunk full of fine elvish wine she recognizes that originated from the Elven wineries in the city. Barnabas uncovers a small box full of gold and silver jeweled rings of various quality. He also finds a finely balanced rapier with a jeweled handle. It is inscribed in elvish "Lady Fewah, bliss of the waves."

Madoka believes the majority of these items must have come from an Elvish wedding Barge, possibly hijacked by the pirates some time ago.

DM: You have to take chances if you want something to happen. The answers will not always be presented to you in a neat package or a d20. In case you hadn't noticed, no one has died yet in this game from taking a chance...

HaeshkaManju
10-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Tierinak explains to the groups what he has learned, cursing not spending more time on his studies of arcane symbolism. "Yes, even a ship's captain would have used symbols in place of written text to simplify ordering and marking objects. I believe that one of these jars would indeed contain an antidote of some type; possibly this emblem of power?" Tierinak points at the dragon-marked jar.

CaptainShar
11-01-2010, 01:57 PM
"Well, these three are 'Deathsong,' 'Sorrows,' and 'Confusion.' But does the Deathsong bring death closer or farther away?"

Gisele chews on her lip.

"The serpent symbols were good before. I think we should try it. I should just need a sip, since Madoka's the one that got poisoned directly. Shall I unscrew it while you guys make sure a giant snake doesn't appear?"

OOC: Madoka - I think we should open and/or smash all the jars like the Skrag one - who knows who else was cursed to become a monster by this temple?

Borodeva
11-01-2010, 06:24 PM
"The poison that got me was black. I bet that one is Deathsong. I'm going for pink. If I don't make it, oh well. Sh*t happens! Let's see if I live or die before we start smashing jars."

[nonchalantly picks up the pink liquid, unscrews the lid, and takes a small gulp, leaving enough for Gisele or Tierinak if necessary.]

wizarddog
11-01-2010, 08:36 PM
The seal over the jar is opened and sweet aroma escapes the jar. For a moment, Madoka, Gisel, and Tierinak feel some sort of "release" of arcane energy.

Madoka tastes the pink liquid and finds it quite nice-very fruity. Immediately, she recognizes it as a very popular drink at one of the drinking holes in the Elven district. Splendor Garden she recalls the name of the drink and the drinking establishment. She notices the figure in the jar appears to be a white finely robed man holding a flagon. No ill effects seem to affect her, accept maybe wanting another sip of the very fine drink.

The word deathsong sounds familiar to Tierinak, but he can't recall it.

Gisel holds the black jar, eagerly waiting for directions.

While handling the sword, Barnabas notices the hilt has a hollow secret compartment (his big fingers triggered it). Inside, he finds a piece of rolled up parchment.


DM: Hint: Butterfly effect.

Bearfoot_Adam
11-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Gets every ones attention, Unrolls the parchment and reads it out loud.

Borodeva
11-01-2010, 11:45 PM
PC: Reference, "A Sound Of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury. Synopsis: A group of hunters travels into the past for a high-priced sporting dinosaur hunt. Against warnings, one leaves the Path and accidentally steps on and kills a butterfly, permanently altering the future and their world as they knew it.

http://www.lasalle.edu/~didio/courses/hon462/hon462_assets/sound_of_thunder.htm (http://www.lasalle.edu/%7Edidio/courses/hon462/hon462_assets/sound_of_thunder.htm)

"Ahh, Splendor Garden, a well-known elvish liqueur! This jar has a white finely robed man holding a flagon inside. Gisele, do any of the names mean anything to you? Deathsong? Sorrows? Confusion? Which of these jars did you think might have the antidote, Tierinak?"

[carefully inspects the moderate magic 3 jars that contain only liquid that we thought might have the antidote.]

DM: I'm confused about which jar is which? Are there 3 that contain both liquid AND a figurine? And then 3 that contain only liquid? And the 3 that contain only liquid are the ones that Tierinak thought might have the antidote? What color is each of the six jars? Then there are two jars that are faded and dirty from the inside? Can we see what's inside those at all? I thought the pink one I was drinking was one of the suspected antidote, liquid-only jars.

wizarddog
11-02-2010, 03:17 AM
DM: For clarification: There are three jars with liquid and three jars with figures only(no liquid), four earthen Jars (you can't see through) and two jars too dirty to tell. (No one readily handled them)

Gisel saw that the three liquid jars had figurines placed in them via the illustrations. Madoka, by drinking the pinkish liquid jar, confirmed she drunk the liquid marked "Sorrow" because the figurine matched the illustration. The others were a serpent and a Minotaur. Based on her readings, the figurines are a power focus needed for the ritual the Captain was performing.

Tierinak was referring to the liquid jars as possible "antidotes". He identified the three with just figurines for possible effects of what they might be, he based it on what the symbols could mean if they have any meaning at all.

Borodeva
11-02-2010, 01:52 PM
OOC: Butterfly effect, eh? Go back to the past and do something that changes the future.

"Hmm, what if the Deathsong jar is the curse on us? If we smash it, the curse is undone, as if it had never been. Right?"

[looks over at Gisele holding the serpent deathsong jar and indicates that she should smash it unless others intervene.]

CaptainShar
11-03-2010, 01:34 AM
"How about we pour a little into another container, in case we need the liquid after all? How about your old prison, Tierinak? Then I'll smash it."

HaeshkaManju
11-03-2010, 05:06 AM
"Sounds good to me." Tierinak shrugs. Tierinak stands by idly trying to recall anything he can recall from his imprisonment, comparing it with the story of this group's entrance to the Captain's lair.

Borodeva
11-03-2010, 11:00 AM
"Save enough liquid for two gulps, then smash the jar? Sounds good. Can you remember anything else that might help us, Tierinak?"

[racks her brain for any arcane knowledge or spellcraft that could illuminate the situation, then continues with the plan to save some liquid and smash the jar if no one thinks of anything better.]

wizarddog
11-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Madoka has no recollection in any arcane or spell use in regards to these jars and the magic involved.

Tierinak cannot recall anything substantial in his imprisonment. He spent the majority of it in a meditative state communing with his god (it was the only thing that prevented him from going insane.)

Madoka breaks the seal and opens the jar with the dark liquid. A foul smell of rotted flesh fouls the air. A sense of release is felt by Tierinak, Madoka, and Gisel.

Madoka pours some of the liquid into the old jar, careful to take out the old "Tierinak" figurine before pouring. She smashes the jar and it shatters on impact with the dark liquid splattering. A small black serpent figure scuttles across the floor.

Barnabas looks at the parchment. It appears to be hand written in some symbols that look like gibberish in his eyes.

Borodeva
11-03-2010, 07:43 PM
"Whew! Did you guys feel that? I guess we don't need to drink this nasty stuff! Let me see that paper, Barnabus. I don't hear any reading out loud. Somebody grab that serpent figurine, too. Looks look now we have some time to read and figure out which of this stuff, if anything, we're going to take. What do you guys think?"

[wipes her brow and takes the parchment from Barnabus, casts Comprehend Languages, scans the document, then reads it aloud if it appears safe.]

CaptainShar
11-04-2010, 12:34 PM
"I feel a lot better now, too," Gisele says. She gropes around for the tiny snake figure.

Borodeva
11-04-2010, 04:03 PM
"Let's rest here and regain our strength. Gisele and I have nearly exhausted our powers. Tierinak, isn't there some cleric magic to ask your God if doing certain things will bring good luck or bad? We could sure use some guidance. I'm wondering about smashing the rest of these jars, taking all the loot now that we've presumably broken the curse, and also trying to open the rest of the doors out there to finish breaking the curse on the Skrag. Can we ask about those things? Also you might want to Detect Magic fully on everything in this room, including that sword and the ring and dagger. I can't remember what we know about those so far."

OOC: Hoping for Augury spells...

[Madoka slides down against a relatively clean portion of wall, and begins to trance.]

wizarddog
11-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Madoka recognizes the writing on the scroll as elvish (Barnabas only knows common). It reads:

My dearest son,

May your wedding to Selnius Javolve be prosperous and loving in all ways.
As par your inheritance, I have left you the third verse of the key to open my vault that you now share with your two brothers. upon my passing, you and your brothers must reconcile your differences before you may inherit that witch I have worked and nurtured for centuries. The bonds of family are the strength of ones own being and I hope that your offspring bring joy to ours.

Loving Grace, Dyllwain de Cirrostus

It then reads in some golden leaf

Where sun shines through clouds of destiny

Tierinak does not think staying in temple aligned with demonic forces is such a good idea. But he can always asks his god...

CaptainShar
11-05-2010, 07:37 PM
"Ew, some elf is keeping a witch prisoner in his vault? If this de Cirrostus fellow is rich, maybe the guild can use that as blackmail."

"Well, Madoka's out. I wouldn't mind closing my eyes a bit myself. Although I don't like the idea of that figurine skittering around in this mess. Perhaps we should go back to the guild and return here later once we've determined that we really aren't going to get cursed AGAIN if we take stuff? It's not like anyone else knows about this place. But we should take the jars and journals with us."

Bearfoot_Adam
11-05-2010, 09:44 PM
"what of the Skrag?"

HaeshkaManju
11-07-2010, 12:47 AM
"Errm. I understand you folks have been probably tiring yourselves greatly. But, look around you! Can't you FEEL the evil in this room? Maybe if we mosey down a the alley a bit, so to speak, it might be better?

(OOC: When the party gets a chance to rest, I will replace Bull's Strength and Enthrall with two x Augury. Prior to any rest, if someone needs a lesser restoration cast -- I will use it.)

"The Skrag? Should we consult with... it, to maybe see if the curse has been lifted? If it is it aware of the curse, then just maybe it will know the 'status' of said curse."

CaptainShar
11-07-2010, 01:36 AM
"All right, all right," Gisele kicks Madoka lightly. "Get up, Tierinak is sick of being in this room. His cleric sense says we should clear out."

Borodeva
11-07-2010, 07:42 PM
"Huh, why you gotta bother me? Grr, so are we at least taking some of this loot with us? If we leave the skull here we can't get back in to this vault. We gotta take the journals, the jars and earthenware pots, the snake figurine, the Tierinak figurine, basically all this black magic stuff. I don't think anyone will miss this scroll. Seems like it might come in handy some time. That dagger was pretty handy, the ring looks nice, so does that sword. We've got a bunch of gems here, too. What do you guys think?"

[stretches and begins to rifle through the loot.]

CaptainShar
11-08-2010, 11:58 AM
"Uh, I'll carry the journals and jars. They should fit in my basket now that the bones have found their resting place." Gisele arranges the bones neatly in the center of the room, then puts the aforementioned journals and jars in her basket.

Bearfoot_Adam
11-08-2010, 11:04 PM
"Well what about these bags of coins? Though I don't want to go and get cursed. Or do you think the captain had just one good curse left in him and you two caught it?" Barnabas opens the bags to see what kind of coins are inside.

Borodeva
11-09-2010, 09:39 AM
"Tierinak, did you detect magic on that silver ring that the first mate had and on this rapier? (the one Barnabus found - "He also finds a finely balanced rapier with a jeweled handle. It is inscribed in elvish 'Lady Fewah, bliss of the waves.'") If so, what kind and strength? May I see that ring? I might be able to read it. I don't know about you guys, but I've survived one curse. What's one more?"

[Smiles as her eyes glint greedily as she picks up the ghost touch dagger and slips it into her belt. Examines the ring carefully and tries to read the inscription if Tierinak hands it over.]

CaptainShar
11-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Gisele shrugs. "I'm not touching anything shiny. But then, nothing here looks like anything I'd ever use."

wizarddog
11-09-2010, 08:37 PM
DM (Sorry for the late post-working at 2 preschools this week.)

Gisel weighs herself down with jars and journals (She is heavily encumbered).

The detect magic from Tierinak finds nothing on the Rapier. The ring has faint conjuration. Inscribed in elvish it reads My everlasting love, Selnius.

Barnabas finds bags full of silver, gold, and copper, all a hefty sum.

The party decide what they wish to risk taking out of the room and finding their way out.

CaptainShar
11-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Before closing the door, Gisele stares at the skull of the captain to retain its unique shape in her mind, should she ever need to sculpt it again.

"Let's give the jar with the symbol from the Skrag on it to the Skrag. Then we can probably rest."

Borodeva
11-11-2010, 03:41 PM
"Aww, how romantic! Look at this, Gisele! Grab what you've got the balls to take, Barney. I guess we're blowing this joint! We can probably rest in the Skrag area if he allows it. We'll probably want to let him open his jar. That seems to break this focus magic."

[Shows the ring to Gisele, then slips it on her finger as she begins to walk out of the room.]

Bearfoot_Adam
11-11-2010, 05:38 PM
"Nothin spends better then coin." Takes the bags of coin.

wizarddog
11-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Gisel studies the skull with intensity and leave it with the rest of the bones in the center of the room. She hauls herself, the books and the Jars outside.

Modoka pockets the ring and dagger left by the 1st mate and awaits the loaded down Barnabas who is jingling with large pouches of coins on his person.

The new companion is already outside the door awaiting his rescuers and eager to leave.

Madoka is the last, as she awaits her friends to exit. She tries to decide whether to keep the Captains belt buckle with her. In either decision she exits the chamber and the stone door closes behind them. All four now stand again in the ancient hallway...


(DM Does Madoka leave the Belt buckle behind seized by the captain in the chamber, or will she carry it with her?)

Borodeva
11-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Whoa, definitely leave the Captain's belt buckle behind. I thought I already put that back when I realized where he stole it.

"Hmm, looks like we're all still alive. Should we check out these other doors? We couldn't figure out how to open them last time, but now that Tierinak is with us, maybe we should take another look."

[Goes to the room with many doors where we first used the skull to enter the Captain's Vault. Starts to examine all the other doors again, showing Tierinak.]

CaptainShar
11-15-2010, 02:52 PM
"Really, Madoka? Just now you wanted to go to sleep, and now you want to go exploring in this demon temple? I say we get out of here. We'll always know how to get back."

HaeshkaManju
11-15-2010, 03:13 PM
"Hah! Ah, the decision-making processes of thieves. Having to fight your baser instincts."

As Tierinak is lead through the cavernous dungeon, he wracks his brain desperately trying to remember anything from his journey here.

Borodeva
11-15-2010, 03:53 PM
"I'm just not convinced that this vial with the Scrag-like rune will be enough to free him. But then again, we couldn't figure out how to get through those other doors last time... Fine, let's just get out of here. To the Scrag room!"

[Leads the others to the Scrag room, moving silently about 20 feet ahead of the group.]

Bearfoot_Adam
11-15-2010, 06:06 PM
"These ain't feathers I'm luggin. Let's get out of here"

wizarddog
11-15-2010, 09:48 PM
(DM-re-describing the outside Chamber)

Before you is a 20 x50 chamber with polished tiled floors. On the left side (from where the 3 thieves had entered) are 4 ornate doors and 4 ornate alcoves. On the right side another set of 4 door and four alcoves. A the far end is an elaborate carving of a face with a large opening in its mouth. The wall the thieves had originally traveled through is also a large face with the opening of a mouth. Each door has symbol upon it made of a sheet of golden metal infuse into the darkwood of each door. In each alcove, there appears to be some sort of object encrusted with jewels. The walls along the chamber have been intricately carved with more pictographs.

Light appears to come from three golden balls that hover above the chamber (15 feet up) and float about.

The symbols: On the left of him he sees, as they move down: A serpent, a curved sword, a crescent moon, and a some sort of devilish face (The room you have left). On the right: A sun, a hand with open palm, a an arrow pointing straight up, and what looks to be a dragon's head.

The treasures are as follows: On the left-a Crown, A curved sword, a Belt with buckle with a crescent moon, and the last is empty. On the right - a tira, an ornate white box (Barnabas had reveal to have a ring inside), an ornate carved bow, a breast plate. All appear golden, (save the box) and jeweled crested.

Madoka detected that each door had a pictrograph symbol on it that radiated strong conjuration while the items in the alcoves had no magic. The globes above radiated magic as well.

This is the first time Tierinak has set eyes on this chamber, though through his many meditations, he has see it in visions.

Borodeva
11-16-2010, 02:38 PM
"Tierinak, we were told in a riddle that we shouldn't be tempted to steal in this temple. I think the magic on these pictographs will activate some kind of summoning if we try to steal any of these goodies. Anyone wanna try? Hehehe."

[eyes the treasures greedily, then waits for any responses. if nothing or negative, then she leads the group onward towards the Scrag room.]

Bearfoot_Adam
11-16-2010, 09:04 PM
"so what door gets us out of here. I say the door pointing up. since we are you know down."

Borodeva
11-16-2010, 09:39 PM
"We came in through that mouth door over there (points). Last time I couldn't figure out how to get out the other mouth door. I'm thinking it's actually another way IN to here. Let me check where we came in. Maybe we can go back out. If not, we may have to set off the conjuration magic and see what happens. Tierinak, you don't happen to recognize anything here, do you?"

[goes back to the mouth door that we entered from and checks for a way back out.]

CaptainShar
11-17-2010, 11:51 AM
"Maybe there's another 'trial' somewhere," Gisele says. She looks at the carved pictographs.

Borodeva
11-17-2010, 01:20 PM
"There was supposed to be a Trial of Blood. Could that have been the ghost in the Captain's Vault? I don't think so cuz the trials seem to be related to the temple. So where's the blood? Anyone want to try to open one of these doors? I suspect if you steal a treasure something bad will happen. Maybe pick up a treasure and press it to the door symbol nearby? It worked with the skull. What do you guys think?"

[continues examining the mouth door where we originally came in.]

wizarddog
11-19-2010, 01:01 AM
(DM to Clarify: Madoka had detected Magic on the symbols of the door (Strong Conjuration) and on the alcoves (Moderate conjuration) but nothing on the treasures themselves.

Madoka examines the mouth of the face they exited and sees the small holes they all traveled through via being turned into gas.

Tierinak believes that the symbols represent aspects of the same god rather than a pantheon. The reference to the Captain's belt buckle as the "Gorgon" and his fall into madness may mean this particular aspects deals in maddening. And from what he skimmed from the cult in his investigation interested in this temple is that they all seem to be interested in power. Though he never found out if they worship this god or simply seek its powers.

Gisel examines the pictographs closely. She believes she saw the moon symbol referenced several times in the
Captain's journals several times but without any coherent entry

Barnabas notices something odd about the tiara positioned next to the crescent moon symbol.

Borodeva
11-19-2010, 01:07 PM
"Looks like this mouth is only a way in, not a way out. I think the other mouth is the same. So the moon is important? What's odd about that tiara, Barnabus? Let's all have a look."

[examines the tiara for traps or any other clues, using all her skills and knowledge.]

CaptainShar
11-20-2010, 01:26 PM
"Ugh. Nothing helpful in the carvings, again. Just pictures of the moon."

wizarddog
11-20-2010, 11:52 PM
DM Tierinak is being deployed for 2 months so I'll be running his PC for a bit)

Barnabas and Madoka both confirm that the Tiara is not made of gold but of some plated brass and the jewels are simply glass. It is a fake.

Tierinak can see only one option: Someone will need to interact with one of the artifacts if you expect to leave this place...

Borodeva
11-22-2010, 12:13 PM
"Watch my back, guys!"

[picks up the tiara and puts it on and touches her hand to the moon symbol.]

wizarddog
11-23-2010, 02:46 AM
Madoka picks up the Tira and places it on her head.




....Nothing happens. And the magic in the alcove and on the door are unchanged.

Tierinak attempts to prevent his eyes from rolling.

"I think the power associated with that artifact has already been spent." he continues, "whoever replaced it with the fake, has already claimed its power. Maybe be even falsified its magical ward. Perhaps a different one should be chosen...."

Borodeva
11-23-2010, 10:43 AM
"Grrr, arrow up Barnabus?"

[picks up the treasure next to the arrow up symbol and touches the treasure to the symbol or presses her hand to the symbol, trying to get something to happen.]

CaptainShar
11-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Gisele puts her basket down in case she needs to do something suddenly.

wizarddog
11-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Madoka reaches into the alcove pulls out the golden ornate bow. The alcove flutters with arcane energy and a small pea size ball appears. It flitters with light and moves out from the alcove, hovering above you; almost as it is regarding you all.
It then moves erratically leaving a trail of wispy smoke and immediately rushes towards Gisel. Before she can react, it rushes right through her, enters through her chest and exits through her back. It them swings around and shoots down the hallway towards the face at the end of the hall and disappears through the mouth.

Gisel felt a rush of to her head as it passed through her, but she seems unharmed.

Bearfoot_Adam
11-26-2010, 01:23 PM
"you good? Cause dat not work to well. Lets try dis." Goes to the white box and slips the ring on his finger

wizarddog
11-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Tierinak tries to halt Barnabas; "Wait we don't necessarily..."

But it is too late. The burly orc (who eyed the ring for a long time) opens the box and places the ring on his pinky. The alcove where the ring reside shutters again. Another peas size ball appears, this one with reddish light. It does not take anytime to decide and immediately collides with Barnabas. Barnabas feels a hot burning sensation enters his body as the small ball exits from behind him, shoot off down the hall and through the exit face at the end.

Tierinak looks at orc with scorn. "Was that really necessary? We don't know exactly what we are dealing with in here!"

Bearfoot_Adam
11-28-2010, 10:45 PM
"That was not comfortable. We are all still here. Damn"

CaptainShar
11-29-2010, 01:30 AM
"Great. With our luck that's two more curses we've just unleashed on ourselves."

Gisele tries to open the door that held the golden bow treasure.

Borodeva
11-29-2010, 12:36 PM
"Those light balls looked sentient. Hmm, maybe I've heard of such a creature. Did you see where they went out? Can we go out there?"

[uses her knowledge skills to try to ID the light ball creatures and checks the mouth where they exited to see if there is any secret door or other way out there for us.]

wizarddog
11-30-2010, 12:10 AM
To Madoka, the creatures look like minute sized lantern archons, but she is not sure if they are the same as the ones that serve good deities. They definitely serve another purpose....

She checks the mouth but senses no secret door. She deduces they must have gone through the small holes.

Tierinak adds in: "They appear to also be very selective on who they touch. I don't know what effect they may have on our two allies, but if this God is as malevolent as the Pirate Captain's vestige, there is no telling what may be in store for them..."

[DM How does Gisel wish to open the door with the Arrow?]

CaptainShar
11-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Gisele tries to push it open. If that fails, she'll try pressing her head to the door as they had to press the Captain's skull to his door.

wizarddog
12-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Gisel places her hand on the door, ready to push. As soon as it contacts the stone, the sound of grinding stone is heard and the door before her slowly and steadily moves to the left, exposing a dark chamber inside. The smell of sweet spices comes from within...

Borodeva
12-02-2010, 02:47 AM
"Woot, a way out! I'll lead the way and check for traps and other nasties..."

[leads the group by 10-15', moving with stealth and checking for traps and secret doors/passages as she goes.]

CaptainShar
12-02-2010, 11:36 AM
"I don't like the feeling of this... but it's better than staying here."

Bearfoot_Adam
12-02-2010, 11:10 PM
"So long as it is not here"

wizarddog
12-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Madoka leads the way through the chamber. She notes many engraved carvings in the hall of the passage, but no traps or tricks. After 10 feet it opens to a chamber, similar in size in the one the the pirate captain had utilized.

The chamber appears to be some sort of laboratory. Along the walls are tables and shelves stocked full of jars of strange liquids and objects, beakers and other alchemical equipment. Cabinets are also located along the walls. In the center of the room is a large table stained a dark red. Restraints are attached to the table. On the far wall stand three small caskets stand upright no more than 4 foot tall. A large banner hangs above them in some strange elven script. The spicy smell fills the whole room. There is no apparent light source.

Tierinak speaks: "I do not feel comfortable in place such as this.."

Borodeva
12-03-2010, 04:07 PM
"Lots of blood in this here temple. I'm gonna have a quick look around."

[takes out her feather of continual light and puts it in her hat, then begins to search the cabinets and rest of the room for traps and anything of interest, plus tries to read the elven banner.]

CaptainShar
12-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Gisele follows in the low light, pulling her basket into the room. She investigates the caskets.

Borodeva
12-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Can you hear me now?

wizarddog
12-07-2010, 09:02 PM
[DM Sorry for delay-double shifts at the preschool, final projects for school, big jewelry sale...]

Madoka finds nothing sinister in the cabinets she searches. Opening them reveals various other raw alchemical materials. Most of which she knows are for embalming and preserving. She does find some small library of books on various subjects tucked away in one cabinet.

The banner is an old battle standard. She recognizes it as elven contingency of griffon riders. She imagines it predates the Citadel.

Gisel examines the casks. They appear to be sealed with wax. A small pile of dust seems to have leaked out of one of them. It smells of spice.

Tierinak notes: "I have seen such casks before. They are reminiscent to the caskets built for funerals we had for our hafling and gnome guild members".

Borodeva
12-07-2010, 09:31 PM
"Hey, some books. Might be something useful in them. This banner looks historically valuable as well. I wonder if someone was using midget caskets to smuggle spices. Maybe you should lay one down and open it, Gisele? Aren't certain spices worth a lot, guys?"

[packs up the books in her pack then reaches up and unhooks the banner, rolls it up, and packs it in her pack as well.]

CaptainShar
12-08-2010, 11:34 AM
"Or it could be embalming for some miniature mummies..." Gisele mumbles to herself, but she pries back a little of the wax on the one that leaked.

wizarddog
12-10-2010, 01:04 AM
Madoka weighs herself down with books and the banner, unsure of their value.

Gisel cracks a bit of the wax seal on the coffin that is leaking. The whole coffin then begins to shutter and vibrate violently. It slides off the wall and falls face down in from of her. It continues to violently shake, spewing the spicy dust from its cracks.

Tierinak shouts above the loud shaking noise of coffin and ground banging against each other: "I believe that is our cue to leave!" and quickly dashes outside the door.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Follows quick on the heels of Tiernak

Borodeva
12-10-2010, 02:48 PM
[Madoka scurries away as fast as her elven legs can carry her and somehow closes the door behind the last person. Failing to close the door quickly, she keeps running away instead.]

CaptainShar
12-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Gisele runs but glances over her shoulder to see what's happening.

wizarddog
12-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Madoka runs out meeting the orc and cleric on the other side of the entry way. She frantically tries to find a way to close the door.

Tierinak shouts: "Your companion is still in there!".

Despite her efforts, Makoda cannot figure out how to close the door.

Gisel makes her way out. She turns and watches as small banadged wrapped arms smash through the coffin and dust of cloud envelopes the room. As soon as she exits the door slide close, leaving her and her companions some what safe, if not still trapped.

The orc snorts.

Borodeva
12-11-2010, 11:01 PM
"Interesting. A couple of things strike me. #1, it seems that the touching of the symbol is what opens the door, not the taking of the artifact. Furthermore, the sun door with fake tiara doesn't open, which sort of supports this theory. So we should just try touching another symbol. #2, it seems that the door closes after the person who opens it leaves the room. So whoever opens the door should be the last to leave if possible. We don't want anyone to get trapped inside. And we don't know how many times these doors can open and close again. Let's test some of these theories. Barnabus, how about you put that ring back in the box and I'll touch the hand symbol and see if that door opens? Sound good?"

[Moves towards the door with the hand with open palm symbol and waits for Barnabus to replace the ring, then presses the palm symbol.]

CaptainShar
12-12-2010, 01:28 AM
"Then we wouldn't have needed the captain's bones to open the door to his lair," Gisele points out. "But yeah, no way out there. Let's try another."

wizarddog
12-12-2010, 04:33 AM
Tierinak pipes in: "Perhaps it is the person who has been "touched" by these artifacts that have access to these doors. As the young lady pointed out, you needed the Captain's own bones to enter the chamber I was imprisoned in. However, we don't know what effect these "beings" you summoned have on our comrades. The real question remains, how does one leave this chamber all together..."

Bearfoot_Adam
12-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Putting the ring back in it's box. "So maybe all these doors lead the way out of here but we need to get past the guardians in there."

Borodeva
12-12-2010, 12:51 PM
"Hmm, interesting thoughts. Gisele DID get us into the room past the golden bow. So maybe Barnabus is the key to open this door with the hand with open palm? Should we interact with more treasures? We have the moon belt buckle, the curved sword, the crown, and the breastplate. Or do you want to touch the hand symbol and try to open that door, Barnabus?"

[looks around at the many treasures and doors with a puzzled look.]

Bearfoot_Adam
12-12-2010, 11:59 PM
"Let's see what is on the other side of the door...if we can." Goes to open the door wit hthe hand

wizarddog
12-13-2010, 02:08 PM
[DM How does Barnabas wish to open the door?]

Tierinak questions outloud: "How did the Captain leave this chamber, I wonder?"

CaptainShar
12-13-2010, 04:40 PM
"I don't recall anything in his journals," Gisele says. "But maybe I should check his initial description of the temple again."

Flips back through the journals.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-13-2010, 08:13 PM
"who knows... maybe he had a magic flying Unicorn. Whatever it is we don't got it." lines a hand up with the hand the other on a random plance and pushes

wizarddog
12-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Barnabas places his hand on the door, ready to push. As soon as it contacts the stone, the sound of grinding stone is heard and the door before him slowly and steadily moves to the left, exposing a dark chamber inside. A blast of hot air escapes from the chamber and the smell of brimstone is evident.

Gisel sits down and begins to look over the Journals once again.

Borodeva
12-14-2010, 03:06 PM
"I guess we should go take a look. I'll scout ahead. You guys, ready? You coming, Gisele?"

[prepares to scout ahead in stealthy fashion. begins to do so after any affirmative response from the party.]

Bearfoot_Adam
12-15-2010, 12:16 AM
"Let's go"

CaptainShar
12-15-2010, 12:13 PM
"Coming, coming," Gisele keeps reading the book with one hand as she trails behind the group.

wizarddog
12-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Madoka leads the way through the passage. It goes for 10 feet and opens into a chamber with cobbled brick stone floor, walls, and ceilings. A slight red glow fills the room allowing those with low light vision to see in the chamber. In the center of the room is large black anvil forge. The red glow of coals of a fire seems to be burning, yet give out no smoke. The heat generated does not appear significant enough to forge metal. Next to the forge is a troth of reddish liquid, possibly water for the metal to cool once bent into shape.

Along the walls are racks of weapons, armor, gauntlets, helmets and other metal objects in various stages of making or repairing. On the fall wall is a banner written in dwarvish. On the table before it stands a large one handed forge hammer is displayed.

The air is reeked with brimstone and it feels quit warm in the chamber. There appears to be no exit.

Tierinak speaks: "Hmmmm...this appears to be not an exit..."

Bearfoot_Adam
12-16-2010, 12:18 AM
I'll go to check out the arms and Armor

CaptainShar
12-16-2010, 12:32 PM
"Well, this is fascinating, but unless we can hammer our way out of here, I'm going back to the main room."

Borodeva
12-19-2010, 09:50 AM
"This sucks!"

[Madoka shakes her head in annoyance and follows Gisele out to the main room, then presses her hand to the crescent moon symbol on the door next to the other belt buckle that is NOT the devil face. (she has already replaced the captain's belt buckle in the alcove next to the devil face door.)]

wizarddog
12-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Barnabas looks over the arms and armor. As he spotted, most are in various stages of being repaired or built. he does finds a very nice light mace, a pair of gauntlets, and a helmet of excellent quality on the racks.

Gisel walks out of the chamber and reads the journal. She then catches a glimps in the early journal when the captain first came to the tomb "I had arrives, but I pondered how do I escapes? The Skrag spoken nothing of this...for as if it made logical sense. I dare not touch the symbols above for surly..."

Gisel then hears Tierinak shout "Wait.."

But it is too late. Madoka touches the crescent symbol on the door. A spark of eldritch energy erupts from it. A cloud of black smoke appears and the four foul creatures emerge into the hall way. The humanoid-looking creatures are squat, blubbery almost hairy bodies with pale sickly flesh and a slack mouth full of small fangs.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090624225622/forgottenrealms/images/thumb/4/4a/Dretch_-_Chippy.jpg/282px-Dretch_-_Chippy.jpg (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/index.php?title=Dretch&image=Dretch_-_Chippy-jpg)

Everyone hears a foul slurring of words entering into their heads.

[DM roll for initiative]

Borodeva
12-19-2010, 03:35 PM
"Heads up people! We've got company out here! Fire in the hole!"

[Knowledge check to ID the creatures. Then circle around to put some distance between me and the creatures (Tumbling to avoid AoO if necessary), then unleash a Color Spray on as many as possible.]

Bearfoot_Adam
12-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Barnabas slipped on the gauntlets and helmet if they fit him. At the cries from the hallway, barnabas drops a cracked battle axe that clangs loudly on the floor. The light mace already in his hand barnabas draws his bastard sword and heads to the hallway ready for battle.

CaptainShar
12-20-2010, 05:29 PM
"I am gonna KILL you Madoka!" Gisele folds over the corner of the page she's on, puts the book back in the basket (which she leaves on the ground next to the wall) and draws her mace.

"Do you think these things would get hurt by a mind blast?"

Borodeva
12-20-2010, 07:42 PM
"If these beasties don't kill me first! Hmm, they kinda look like..."

[completes my actions from post #457]

wizarddog
12-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Madoka moves quickly back next to Gisel. She opens her hand an a vivid cone of clashing colors springs forth from her hands. Two of the creature immediately fall to the ground.

Madoka recognizes them as Dretch; foul lowlings of the abyss. They are nearly impervious to normal weapons and many elements. The fact she managed to rend two unconcious with her spell confirms a mind blast may be effective.

Gisel sets down her book and draws her mace.

Tierinak mutters: "By the power of Saint Rubicon, the veil of shadows is now upon me!" The cleric disappears before your eyes.

The two foul creatures glare at Gisel and Madoka. One opens its mouth and billowing smelly bank of fog erupts filling the hallway. Gisel begins to feel a horrid pain in her stomach and she begins to vomit (Gisel is now nauseated). The next creature lets a horrid howl. Madoka feels a shiver down her spin and become extremely frightened.(Madoka now has the frightened condition).

The two creature move within 10 feet of both Gisel and Madoka.

Barnabas, upon hearing the commotion, places the gauntlets on his arms. He here a faint "Yes" in his head. He then places the helmet on his head. A louder yes is heard in his head. He then pulls the odd metal mace from the rack and draws his sword. A heavy deep voice of "Yes!" echos from his own lips through the hollow metal helmet. And he turns to exit the chamber...

[DM while anyone remains or enters the cloud, they will need to make a saving throw versus the cloud. Gisel can take only a move action. Madoka will try to flee the opposite way as fast as she can to escape. The creatures seem unaffected by the cloud---Next Actions.]

Bearfoot_Adam
12-20-2010, 10:34 PM
(oh fun) Barnabas rushes off to join the fray.

Borodeva
12-20-2010, 10:36 PM
"Ahhhhh, they're Dretches, least demons who are resistant to weapons and many elements! Their minds are weak, but they're scarrrrrryyyyyyy! Ahhhhhhh!!!!!"

[Runs directly away, hoping to hide behind Barnabus as he exits the chamber.]

CaptainShar
12-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Gisele moves whatever direction in the chamber will get her 1. out of the cloud, 2. not next to the Dretches.

wizarddog
12-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Madoka bolts all the way down to the end of the hall way she reaches the end at 40 feet and drastically tries to look for another exit.

Gisel staggers to get out of the foul cloud following Madoka (about 30 feet).

The two dretches leap forward. One pounces on Gisel but her sudden zigzag movement causes it to land short of her and it smacks into the wall. The other lumbers towards Madoka. As she struggles to find an exit, she feels the foul breath on the back of her neck.

Gisel feels a palm on her head and the muttering :"By the Power of St. Rubicon, may this shield of faith protect you." A shimmering barrier surrounds Gisel. [She now has +2 deflection bonus]

As she continues to cough up what little of her breakfast, a towering form emerges from the door way. She looks up to see a bulky body wearing a horned helmet with two fiery red eyes. It wields black metal gauntlets. In one hand is a strange looking mace, in the other a nasty but familiar bastard sword. It surveys the two creatures and notes the one nearest is on Gisel. The stinking cloud has no effect on him (this round).

[DM Barnabas can take a standard action: Needs to decide which weapon to bonk the creature with. Gisel still has the nauseated condition and Madoka has the frightened condition]

Bearfoot_Adam
12-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Well assuming I can't use my two weapon fighting and use both, and how the rubery skin seems tough to cut I'll try the bone crushing power of the mace

CaptainShar
12-22-2010, 11:49 AM
*choke choke* Continues circling the main room to get away from the dretches AND the new demon in armor who seems to have overtaken Barnabus.

wizarddog
12-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Barnabas swings the mace and smacks the demon accosting Gisel. It howls in pain as the spiked head digs deep into its flesh. [7 points of damage]. It turns its foul head towards him and hisses; apparently it did not like that..." While the creature is distracted, Gisel manages to stagger further away but is between two demons focused on her allies. She begins to dry heave.

[Continue actions]

Bearfoot_Adam
12-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Barnabas tries to put himself between the demons and Gisel as much as possible, and swing s his weapons in an intimidating manner to corral them away from her

Borodeva
12-23-2010, 01:11 PM
[Keep running away if I'm still scared, otherwise turn and circle to get a clean shot on the wounded one Barnabus is fighting and shoot an Eldritch Blast at it if I can do so without provoking an AoO.]

CaptainShar
12-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Is there anywhere that I can get to that is NOT in the stink cloud? Will head that way.

wizarddog
12-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Gisel looks to the chamber where Barnabas had exited but the door has sealed. She coughs and makes her way near where Madoka and the other creature are located. Barnabas shouts at the demon in front of him, distracting it from taking a swipe at Gisel.

Madoka lets out a blast of eldritch might at the demon in front of her but it knocks her hand to the side and the blast hits the ceiling harmlessly. The demon slashes at Madoka. She ducks one claw but the other rakes across her arm. (5 points of damage) It snaps her with its teeth but she manages to struggle further into the corner, fighting hysterically.

The other demon draws its full attention on Barnabas and slashes at him with its long claws. He manages to deflect one claw with the butt of his sword but the second digs deep into his side. (4 points damage). Never the less, the agile orc evades the sharp fangs of the creature.

Gisel make it to the same area as Madoka and the demon but is unable to stop wheezing. She hears the voice cry "By the power of St. Rubicon, a blessing in a time of need" [All allies gain bless benefit of +1 to attack and saves].

Energized, Barnbas brings his weapons down on the demon before him. He swings his bastard sword down at the creature but it easily doges to the side. However, it runs straight into Barnabas's new mace and the orc cracks it on the head. [4 points of damage]. It starts to stagger a bit.

[The cloud disperses but Gisel still has the nauseating condition. Madoka, after the strike by the creature, is no longer frightened and may act as normal.]

Bearfoot_Adam
12-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Barnabas Presses the attack. Paying particular attention to bringing the mace down onto the joints of the staggering beast.

CaptainShar
12-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Gisele will try to keep out of harm's way until the sickness wears off.

Borodeva
12-29-2010, 03:29 PM
"Hold still so I can BLAST you!"

[Madoka 5-steps out of the range of her demon and blasts the one fighting Barnabus, hoping to drop it.]

wizarddog
12-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Madoka has no where to step back so tumbles past the creature and fires her eldritch blast. But her shot misses and bounces off the wall harmlessly.

Gisel stays against the wall still coughing.

Baranbas slams his mace into the creature, a large crack is heard as its neck breaks. It falls to the ground and immediately disappears into a cloud of smoke. Barnabas then moves quickly to Madoka.

The other creature leaps at Madoka from behind. Madoka dodges and the creature lands adjacent to her.

[Actions: Gisel is still nauseated-The cleric is still invisible-two other demons are unconscious but are starting to stir.]

Borodeva
12-31-2010, 05:14 PM
"The ones waking up should still be stunned or blind for a while, let's finish this one!"

[Tumble again if necessary and blast away at the last standing one.]

Bearfoot_Adam
01-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Barnabas slams into the creature swinging mace and sword

CaptainShar
01-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Gisele will continue her staying-out-of-the-way plan until she feels better, then will let off a mind blast at whichever monster seems most threatening at the moment.

wizarddog
01-02-2011, 04:12 AM
Madoka steps back and realses anoter blast at the creature adjacent to her. The creature steps to the side and her blast strikes the wall harmlessly.

Barnbas swings his mace and clobber the creature in the chest (6 points damage) and brings his Bastardsword around to its head. It cuts deep into the creatures (12 points of Damage) neck and severs it off. Bot the head and the crumpling body disappear into a cloud of smoke.

Gisel coughs and spits up the last of her last meal and manages to gain control of her stomach aches. (May act normal next round)

The two other demons become conscious but they stay on the ground hissing.

(DM The creatures are stunned, blinded and prone but not helpless)

Borodeva
01-02-2011, 02:45 PM
"Let's get this left one before it gets up! All together now!"

[Aims and carefully blasts it in the face with an Eldritch Blast, then circles and waits for Barnabus and Gisele to approach and clobber it!]

Bearfoot_Adam
01-02-2011, 08:03 PM
After blast, approaches and clobbers

wizarddog
01-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Madoka walks up to the creature and blasts it in the face (3 points damage). Barnabas walks up and clobber it with his mace crushing its skull (10 pints of damage) and it disperses to in cloud of black smoke which fades away. Gisel blasts the figure on the ground with her mind blast; it howls out from the psychic assault but she feels its has a very strong will and is unharmed.

[DM The creature is still prone, stunned, and blind]

Borodeva
01-05-2011, 01:38 AM
"Hey, this is getting fun!"

[Walks up and blasts the last one in the face while it is still stunned.]

CaptainShar
01-05-2011, 12:01 PM
"More than one way to bash something in the head,"

Gisele clobbers it with her mace instead.

Bearfoot_Adam
01-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Moves on down the line

wizarddog
01-08-2011, 12:50 AM
With a blast and the pummeling of maces, the nearly helpless creature is crushed and disappears into a cloud of smoke.

The Hallway returns to silence.

The Cleric reappears. " I suggest we don't try that again..."

Borodeva
01-08-2011, 12:37 PM
"So, those are Dretches," Madoka says sheepishly.

"If symbols of the sky or outside are bad, then which one is good to press, Gisele? What do those books say? We've got curved sword, serpent, and dragon's head left. Crescent moon and arrow pointing straight up had things to fight, and the sun with the fake tiara we couldn't open."

"I guess I was right that some symbols have traps with summoning magic. Hehe..."

"Hey! What's up with the funky armor and mace, Barnabus?"

[Helps Gisele flip through the journals for more clues. Also flips through the books I dragged out of the mummy alchemy room.]

wizarddog
01-08-2011, 04:10 PM
The cleric speaks up:
Perhaps we are approaching this the wrong way. Access to these door only came to those who were "chosen" by the artifacts. Those chosen, have access to the chambers...and apparently its secrets. We have no evidence the Captain pick up any other artifact and he has been entering and exiting this chamber for many years.

Gisel begins to look through the Captain's Journal; she finds only a simple reference to the other symbols... but the Captain was uninterested in them (heeding the warning from the Skrag). His exit of the chamber was not recorded...as if it was a non issue.

Madoka looks over the books and finds they pertain to mystic arts of necromancy, most of which she has never heard of.

Barnabas looks over his items. The Mace certainly felt lighter in his hands and is made of strange iron. The Helmet is also light weight, matching the craftmanship of the gauntlets. While he did not feel a significant difference in his combat prowness while he wore them he feels very...comfortable with them on.

Borodeva
01-08-2011, 05:06 PM
"If it's so easy and such a non-issue to get out of here, then why can't we do it? The only other places I see here besides the artifact chambers are these two mouths with small holes. We got in here through the first mouth holes over there [points] when we drank the liquids and turned to gas. So how do we turn to gas again and get out the mouth? What's the 'easy' way out that we haven't thought of? I already examined the other mouth and found nothing..."

[spits on the ground in disgust...]

Bearfoot_Adam
01-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Barnabas thinks hmmm simple, non issue. Goes up to the wall that they appeared out of and tries pushing on the wall looking for a latch or lever.

CaptainShar
01-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Gisele turns back to the page she was looking at before the dretches appeared.

wizarddog
01-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Gisel finds her last entry she was reading:
"I had arrives, but I pondered how do I escapes? The Skrag spoken nothing of this...for as if it made logical sense. I dare not touch the symbols above for surely those aspects of the God would overcome me. I had found the power I wanted. And the Skrag was correct..it was easy... I simply continued through the chamber... "

The Clerics addresses Madoka "You came from that face first?"pointing to the one at Baranbas stands before. "And you tried the face at the opposite end."

"Hmm", the cleric ponders, "Did anyone else try that passage besides Madoka?"

Bearfoot_Adam
01-09-2011, 10:44 PM
"no, I was the first one in should I be the first one out?" Heads to the opposite wall looking for a way out.

Borodeva
01-10-2011, 12:17 AM
"I was the only one who checked and tried. And Barnabus is right; he was the first one in. Maybe he needs to be the first one out."

CaptainShar
01-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Gisele snaps the book shut with a smile of satisfaction and prepares to follow behind Madoka.

wizarddog
01-10-2011, 02:24 PM
As Barnabas approaches the face at the end of the hall, he feels a slight breeze coming from the face.

"Lets not be too hasty" the cleric warns.

Borodeva
01-10-2011, 03:10 PM
"I'm confused. Maybe Barnabus has to walk through the OTHER face. Anyone else have any ideas?"

Bearfoot_Adam
01-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Keeps going towards the wall.

CaptainShar
01-11-2011, 06:08 PM
"'Continue through the chamber,' that sounds like walking to the opposite side from where we came in, to me," Gisele remarks.

OOC: If this is supposed to be "so simple," maybe a map is in order? Has there been a second passageway all along that we never noticed in the written descriptions?