PDA

View Full Version : The Usual Suspects

James Knevitt
02-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking to cobble together a group to play a fairly open story-driven Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay campaign on bi-weekly Friday nights, 7pm-lateish (~10-10:30pm).

A bit of familiarity with the Warhammer setting would help a lot, but it's not necessary. The only thing you'd really need to bring to the table is a proactive attitude.

The cool stuff...
For the most part it's a grim and gritty low fantasy setting , but it has wonderful high fantasy elements as well. It's like Lord of the Rings, if you're all regulars at the Prancing Pony.

I like to run games with lots of story, especially story that players bring to the table. I love it when players take a story element or hook and just run wild with it. If you're fond of rags-to-riches, gutter-to-glory stories where it feel like you're cheating Fate every time, this is the game for you.

Here's a classic piece of Warhammer flavor text that I think really captures the flavor of it:

----

This is a dark age, a bloody age, an age of daemons and of sorcery. It is an age of battle and death and of the world’s ending. Amidst all of the fire, flame and fury it is a time, too, of mighty heroes, of bold deeds and great courage.

At the heart of the Old World sprawls the Empire, the largest and most powerful of the human realms. Known for its engineers, sorcerers, traders and soldiers, it is a land of great mountains, mighty rivers, dark forests and vast cities. And from his throne in Altdorf reigns the Emperor Karl-Franz, sacred descendant of the founder of these lands, Sigmar, and wielder of his magical warhammer.

But these are far from civilised times. Across the length and breadth of the Old World, from the knightly palaces of Bretonnia to ice-bound Kislev in the far north, come rumblings of war. In the towering Worlds Edge Mountains, the orc tribes are gathering for another assault. Bandits and renegades harry the wild southern lands of the Border Princes. There are rumours of rat-things, the skaven, emerging from the sewers and swamps across the land.
And from the northern wildernesses there is the ever-present threat of Chaos, of daemons and beastmen corrupted by the foul powers of the Dark Gods. As the time of battle draws ever nearer, the Empire needs heroes like never before...

----

And now for something serious...
To save people clicking through to my profile, here's what I look for when I'm assembling a gaming group:

Please no Creepy Gamer thread candidates. If you are clean, sober, have a good grasp of hygiene and can carry on normal social interactions without coming off as sketchy of skeevy, then we'd love to have you. Please no 4chan refugees if at all possible, but we could probably make an exception if you're nice enough. If you smoke that's ok, but we're a non-smoking house so you'd probably have to puff outside.

The aim is to have a group that wants to have fun, can joke around a bit, but wants to actually play and get involved rather than sit around and discuss the latest episode of Lost (although a little bit of that is okay too because damn, that was one hell of a season finale, huh?). That said, if you're looking for a hardcore number-crunching grognard session, this likely isn't for you either. I guess what I'm saying is that we're shooting for a nice, casual balance of play and banter.

If anybody's interested, shoot me a private message, send me an email at jknevitt@gmail.com or just reply here.

Thanks!