PDA

View Full Version : First Character

Eternal54
02-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Hello Everyone!

I have just read my PHB 1&2 for 4e and it looks like my first d&d game ever will be tomorrow. With that, comes the choice of a first class. The classes that really look apealing to me are Dragonborn Paladin and Goliath Barbarian. Both classes seem fun to play, the Pally being a hoy defender class that can heal himself or others, and the Barbarian a furious brawler that can go from enemy to enemy in a rage, whats not to like?

So my question is are either of these better for a new player, if so why?

I was also intersted in a Fey pact Tiefling Warlock, or a Deva Avenger.

Thanks for your input everyone!

wizarddog
02-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Depends on the role you want to play in the game.

As a Pally you are a defender: Drawing the enemies to attack you and hindering them from smacking your allies. You will have high defenses.

As a Barbarian your a striker: Your a damage dealer, inflicting more damage than your counter parts. Your damage will be good but defenses will be a bit lower than a pally.

As a Warlock your a striker; blasting enemies as you misty step across the battlefield, cursing them and causing havoc. You will have strong range magical attacks but defenses will be weak.

As an Avenger your a striker; Singling out a single enemy that you will engage and inflict holy (unholy) smites against in the name of your god. Your defenses are a little weaker but you deal deadly blows to the enemy you choose retribution upon.

If you notice the trend here, you might be draw to the striker models of playing your PC in combat. The Pally may be more problematic for you because its role is different and if you don't fulfill your role in combat, your allies suffer. On the other hand, it might provide the challenge or role you desire to play. As long as your aware of the role you will play in the party, you will do fine. If you try to play your pally as a striker, you will be sorely disappointed.

Eternal54
02-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Wow, I hadn't noticed how three of my four prefered classes are strikers, thanks for pointing that out.

So should I take a striker role, if the barbarian which is my first pick is not viable or already spoken for, would a Fey pact Warlock still be enough to fill a long range stricker role?

I ask because of the three pacts it is the least damage oriented, at least from what I gathered in the book. I would prefer the Fey pact due to the shift 3 ability and the more versatile use of their powers. But if the pact does not allow me to fill a striker role the Infernal pact seemed tempting as well, though I may choose to change race if I end with that one.

wizarddog
02-12-2010, 12:54 AM
The fey pact would simple change the way you would conduct yourself in combat. You are more of "now you see me, now you don't" kind of combatant. You would want to be one who picks off targets engaged by a defender, cursing them and forcing them to choose between trying to take on you or feeling the wrath of the defender. Your at wills are credible range attacks, and your powers should do enough damage. Both of the at will attack Will and reflex which tend to be lower defenses of creatures. A Feylock is considered the more powerful build.

jonnyrockshard
02-12-2010, 05:06 AM
Well first things first I'd like to point out that the Warlock and the Avenger are easily the most defensive oriented strikers in the game. With the right build (read: get Armor Proficiency in Leather, Improved Armor of Faith) as an Avenger you'll easily be close to Defenders in terms of AC, and Warlock, as long as they move so many squares, automatically get concealment, which is roughly the same as a +2 to all defenses. Warlocks, while they appear like Strikers, really play more like Controllers, locking down enemies and generally making a mess of things.

Midnight Genius
02-21-2010, 04:48 PM
One thing you may want to look at for the classes is Marking. I found classes that rely on marking particularly difficult, because you have to remember to mark them, and have to remember what you do when you mark them, and it's a lot of extra things that I, personally, don't want to deal with, especially as a new player. Just a minor added thing to consider.