PDA

View Full Version : Spy Scenario - in Eberron of course

cigamnogard
02-09-2010, 06:16 PM
I am DMing a group of bad a## veteran players. I have awarded them starting gold at 10th level in the amount of 401,939. I have a very rich storyline and as it is a spinoff campaign the players are quite sure to meet up with their other characters. However, meanwhile I have no eeeeevil villians yet.
Any suggestions? Looking for Bond type villians, traps, and such.

Malruhn
02-15-2010, 11:18 PM
There are a couple of ways to go about this... is the BBEG acting in an evil manner, or is he REALLY evil?

Was he like the old nemeses on the Batman TV show - or is he like the Heath Ledger Joker? Was he like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction - or is he like Kathy Bates in Misery?

I find that bad guys that are TRULY evil - and not just performing evil acts - are MUCH more scary than others. You have to figure out what the BBEG's ultimate goal is for his schemes, and that may help.

And don't forget that sometimes the best evil guy is an evil girl...

cigamnogard
02-16-2010, 03:18 PM
There are a couple of ways to go about this... is the BBEG acting in an evil manner, or is he REALLY evil?

Please explain - as I read into this comment as if Thrane the nation of paladins and clerics is spreading thier "good" religion accross the border into Aundair. Yes, they are all lawful good but they are butting into business that is none of their affairs = evil manner.
- or do you mean the lawful evil ruler of Karrnath who wishes to expand his nation by creating a buffer zone into the nation of Aundair who is really evil but making sure his people are protected by the buffer zone and to bad for Aundair.

wbrandel
02-16-2010, 03:51 PM
A good villain for that type of campaign would be one who thinks he is doing good in the world (i.e. taking over the world because HE is the only one capable of running a kingdom). An alternate which I have used in the past is to have some one like that in the shadows pulling the strings, ruling through a proxy king possibly one that is well respected and liked. For that the players would have to find him (or her) in order to face him. With that set up you are looking at a pyramid structure with the BBEG at the top the the right hand man and so forth (ya know kinda like Avon or Mary Kay, no offense meant). I have used that several times in the past very successfully, if it is played right it creates a very memorable campaign.

cigamnogard
02-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Any suggestions? Looking for Bond type villians, traps, and such.
Thanks for the Avon idea but I am looking more for spy stuff bad guys not queens of chess or Macbeth.

Soft Serve
03-23-2010, 11:30 AM
The guildmaster of house Thuranni. They're the house that split from Phiarlian taking with them the mark of shadow and the business of Espionage and Entertainment. The differences being that house Thuranni will do assassinations I think...

Make the main villain put the players to the test to see if they can get to him, provided they do actually make it to him have it all be a trap anyway. They find him and he manages to put them in bonds and do a few experiments. Maybe through result of these experiments one of your players can manifest a dragonmark. Or have them escape prior to the experiments you're the DM.

Either way I would make him a Rogue lv X/ Assassin lv X/ Heir of Siberys lv X for the Siberys Dragonmark of Shadow.

cigamnogard
03-23-2010, 05:31 PM
The guildmaster of house Thuranni. They're the house that split from Phiarlian taking with them the mark of shadow and the business of Espionage and Entertainment. The differences being that house Thuranni will do assassinations I think...

Make the main villain put the players to the test to see if they can get to him, provided they do actually make it to him have it all be a trap anyway. They find him and he manages to put them in bonds and do a few experiments. Maybe through result of these experiments one of your players can manifest a dragonmark. Or have them escape prior to the experiments you're the DM.

Either way I would make him a Rogue lv X/ Assassin lv X/ Heir of Siberys lv X for the Siberys Dragonmark of Shadow.

Now this has some definate potential!

Soft Serve
03-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Now this has some definate potential!

I'm running a Real-Life group in Eberron at the moment so I know my way around Khorvaire.

Give the villain his own dungeon based on the house Thuranni get-up. Elaborate and fancy tapestries and several hidden alcoves with assassins as well as secret doors and escape routes. Also consider making this a fairly illuminated place since the mark of shadow allows people with it to make objects darker and shadowy. Meaning the first time the PC's are attacked the lights will dim in an eerie fashion, then they could be ambushed by assassins. Now the second time the lights dim they'll enter defensive positions and start scanning the room sure to put them on edge.

cigamnogard
03-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Real life?

Soft Serve
03-25-2010, 07:46 AM
As in we aren't playing PBP or PBC (Play by chat) we actually meet in real life.

cigamnogard
03-25-2010, 06:26 PM
As in we aren't playing PBP or PBC (Play by chat) we actually meet in real life.
Ah - so does this group I am DM'ing