PDA

View Full Version : An Ode to the days of the Red Box!

WhiteTiger
02-04-2010, 08:39 AM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/244660000

This seems to be part of their new Essentials brand packaging... whatever that is.

Webhead
02-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Ah, the nostalgia. Interesting idea...if a bit late to the party. Shouldn't they have released this a bit earlier in 4E's lifecycle? Oh, well. It's cute, anyway.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Don't care for 4E, but my buddy loves it. So i send him the link.

Webhead
02-04-2010, 08:10 PM
On a semi-related note...I'll admit that the "boxed set" presentation of the new edition of WFRP sparked a bit of nostalgia in me. There's something about an RPG-in-a-box that just makes me smile...and it helps that WFRP3E is an excellent game on top of it.

WhiteTiger
02-05-2010, 08:59 AM
WOTC certainly have embraced their 4th edition mechanics. They are coming out with no less than 5 sets of dungoen tiles this year plus an overload of books & boxed sets. Not to mention that they are coming out with 2 seperate but related board games, one of which is Castle Ravenloft. I have one friend who is an absolute Ravenloft fan and when he finds out about this board game, he is going to hit the roof (i.e. He doesn't like 4th edition and making a board game of Ravenloft is considered blasphemy). He's already fuming about Dark Sun.

Frobozz
02-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Wow, I don't know whether to feel nostalgia or blasphemy. I'll stick to nostalgia and hope these new box sets inspire a new generation of kids into D&D. :)

Regicide
02-08-2010, 08:11 AM
I don't think that the new "nostalgia" box sets will really get too many new kids into the game as much as they might get some lapsed old school players to buy the new rules. How many of them will be happy with the changes is another question.