PDA

View Full Version : D&D stuff...what to buy?

ChaunceyK
02-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I've got a little money left on my Amazon gift card from x-mas (around $25), and I'm not sure what to buy with it. I'd like some suggestions.

Although I play 4e, I don't want any of the books...too much errata & updates & such.

Also not interested in any minis, as I have my two characters already (halfling rogue & dwarven cleric) & I don't DM.

I already have a bunch of Dragonlance novels, so I'm not looking to add to those.

I already have the official D&D movie from 2000, and I just ordered the complete Animated series. I'm considering the follow-up movie "Wrath Of The Dragon God" and also "Scourge Of Worlds: A Dungeons & Dragons Adventure." If anyone has either of those, I'd like to hear some opinions.

Thanks in advance!

wizarddog
02-02-2010, 05:03 PM
The Wrath of the Dragon God is supposedly much better than the 1st. I have seen some clips and despite the budget, it actually is pretty decent. Some commentaries crap on it but what did they expect? I dare them to count fantasy movies on their hand that are pretty good. The medium doesn't always live up to expectations but there are a few that are decent movies. At least this one matches areal D&D experience than the first which could have been Tunnels and Trolls* but slapped the D&D name on to it, instead.

The other is actually a CGI movie that you choose fate of the characters. From what I read in a review, it is not very good and the choices are too "go this way and die".

*That, of course, is not to put down Tunnels and Trolls, which is fine game by itself.

Banshee
03-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Wrath of the Dragon God was ok, but to be honest, I liked the style of the first movie a little better. The first one had the kind of feel that I get from actually playing- inside jokes, cornyness, the dwarf crying because he had to ride a horse... I thought it was funny. The second was, in my opinion, good if a little too serious. If you can pick it up on the cheap, then good. If not, wait until you can. Since we're not far apart geographically, I know you can pick this up at the mall in Suncoast for less than ten bucks!

The Scourge of Worlds is new to me. I will have to check it out!

I know you said you've read some Dragonlance novels. Have you also read some of the Forgotten Realms novels? My favorite author is R.A. Salvatore. He actually got me to give up the ghost of Greyhawk and move over to Forgotten Realms as a game setting. If you wanted to go in that direction, I would recommend the "Thousand Orcs" trilogy as your starting point.

upidstay
03-14-2010, 08:00 AM
The first D+D movie was one of the most wretched piles of otyugh vomit ever. That movie sucked in ways I did not know a movie could suck. The Wrath one was cool. Alot more like a D+D adventure, IMO.

As far as what to buy? I'd get a good battle mat. 3x5 is usually more than enough. Hex on one side, grid on the other.

cplmac
03-15-2010, 06:28 PM
So, Chauncy, did you ever dicide what to get with that gift card? Becareful, since some places start deducting a fee on those cards if they haven't been used by a certain amount of time.

ChaunceyK
03-17-2010, 08:06 PM
I got "Wrath of the Dragon God"...and thoroughly enjoyed it. Rather than being overly silly & political like the original D&D movie (which I did enjoy for what it was), I thought Wrath did a good job of representing an actual D&D campaign. I would've liked to see more encounters & skill challenges, but I realize the movie had a budget & could only be so long.

I also got the D&D Animated Series, "Best Buy" edition (but that's in another thread).

If I did any DM'ing (I'm a player only at this point), I would definitely have gotten a battle mat...such an improvement from my old gaming days 20 years ago with graph paper!!