PDA

View Full Version : Seeking D&D 3.5 Forgotten Realms Online Campaign

osakamatt
01-31-2010, 02:36 AM
Greetings! I'm a mature gamer in my 30's that has been playing D&D for over 15 years. My regular local group broke up recently and I'm looking to join or start a new 3.5 campaign online. Any setting is fine but I prefer Forgotten Realms. It would be nice to get a weekly or bi-weekly campaign going.

I'm not really a DM so I'm looking for someone who wants to run a new campaign as well as players to join.

goteamcleric
01-31-2010, 06:57 PM
I am also a DnD veteran of 10 years. I am a student in Santa Cruz, California. I would be interested in playing an online 3.5 campaign, since there are no sit-down games located in this area. I am a first time online player, but I have quite a bit of game experience.

osakamatt
01-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am also new to playing D&D online but have a lot of experience playing 3.5. Are you a DM or just a player?

trialbyfireent
01-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Forgotten Realms is the best fantasy setting ever.

I've been DMing both in person and online for a while, and here's my take on playing D&D online:

1) It's much easier to DM, thanks to the fact that everything is in text. You can reread details, save chat logs, and reference numbers on a whim, without page turning.

2) It goes much slower than face to face D&D depending on the DM, but there are ways to remedy this. Using recurring text slang or shorthand makes typing out actions much quicker.

3) In my opinion, it makes the story more real, because it leaves everything to the imagination. You aren't listening to people talk, you are reading a story, watching situations unfold.

4) The built in dice roller uses a great script that can calculate huge rolls instantly, so you don't have to fumble around with dice as much.

I've been running a Forgotten Realms game on Saturday nights, but I wouldn't mind setting up a game for some other night of the week. If I do though, I'd only like 2-3 players. Any more than that, and the downtime between actions makes people grow bored and unmotivated.

Tealeaf
01-31-2010, 08:07 PM
I'd be interested in another campaign as well though thursdays and saturdays are bad for me. unless it's a level3 or under campaign in which case i'd pass I don't need/want another low level campaign so whatever you guys would want. if it's low level go for it just count me out, if it's 4-5+ i'd be interested.

osakamatt
01-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Glad there is interest out there.
It would be great if trialbyfireent could run a regular campaign on a weeknight.

trialbyfireent, could you let us know

1) What nights/times would work for you
2) character gen rules
3) Online game software you prefer to use
4) any other info we need

I agree that 2-3 people would be the best as to not slow things down.

bitemytail
01-31-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm also interested. Let me know if I'm in, and if so, what the character requirements are.
I'm good on saturday anytime. Thursdays would have to be late, past 6PM pacific time.

goteamcleric
02-01-2010, 01:09 AM
Osaka-
Sorry for the ambiguity of the earlier post. I have experience as a DM, but right now I'm looking to play.
Trialbyfireent-
Saturdays work for me!

Mostly repeating what Osaka said, just need to know character generation rules, software, etc so that I can be ready when we agree on a date and time.

osakamatt
02-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Are you available any other days besides Saturday? Weekday nights or Sunday maybe?

I was wondering about this free web based virtual table top:

http://www.rpgtonight.com/

Purplesmurf
02-01-2010, 02:15 AM
Hello, I would be interested in a Forgotten Realms campaign..and I can almost play at anytime, lol. Broke Leg..so I spend a good bit of time home. I have experience playing 3.5 online using openrpg. It has been about a year and a half since the last time I played.

goteamcleric
02-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Osaka-

Sunday nights work for me. The only weeknight that does NOT work for me is Wednesday(Class ALL DAY). If we decide to play evenings, I just need to know what time. edit: I guess we need to start brainstorming characters?

What do you think, Ent?

osakamatt
02-01-2010, 01:00 PM
OK, How about we play either Monday or Tuesday evenings starting around 6:30pm PST?

trialbyfireent says he just wants to use chat without a map tool. He says that he is used to that way and it tends to work best.

As far as characters go, I love to play clerics who are tanks. If someone else really wants to play a cleric, I can always play something else though.

goteamcleric
02-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Monday or Tuesday in the evening (PST) would work for me, no complaints here. So would we be using PenandPaper's chat program?

I think you can tell by my name that I too, love clerics.

A party of three people is going to be really interesting. Better make our characters and our classes count...

Ent-
We need your opinion, since you are going to be the DM.

osakamatt
02-01-2010, 03:11 PM
I think Ent wants to use the Pen&Paper chat program. I've had a few private messages with him. I've asked him to post the character gen info/background info for us on this thread so we can get started making characters.

I agree that with 3 players we need to be careful with classes.
I think if we had a cleric, fighter, and mage/rogue it would work best. My first choice would be the cleric but as I said, I could play one of the others. 2 clerics and a mage/rogue could be good too. One cleric as a buffer/healer and the other as a tank with some fighter levels could be a powerful team.

goteamcleric
02-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Go ahead and take the Cleric, Osaka. I'd like this opportunity to try a rogue/wizard build, I hear they are a lot of fun.

Still waiting to hear from you, Ent. PM me with character generation information, or post it to the thread, I'll check back regularly.

I'm excited! Let's get this started!

Purplesmurf
02-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Do you guys have the third player already? If not I would be more than willing to play any class that would help the group. I am just excited to get back into D&D and Roleplaying!

osakamatt
02-01-2010, 11:03 PM
So Far it seems that GoteamCleric and myself are the only for sure players so there is still a slot for one more. I see that you are living in Louisiana. The rest of us are on the West Coast, you think the time difference would be a factor for you if we start playing at 6:30pm PST? That might run kind of late in your time zone.

goteamcleric
02-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Hey guys-

Being new to playing DnD online, I am also new to this site. I have a question:

Did you guys get my PM's? When I send them, I don't get a confirmation, nor do they show up when I open the sent folder....did you guys get them...?

Thanks!

osakamatt
02-02-2010, 01:04 AM
goteamcleric, I didn't receive any PMs from you. When you reply to a group PM, it seems to only reply to the original sender so you need to add the other peoples names to the list manually before sending. At least thats my understanding.

trialbyfireent
02-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Sorry I haven't posted here in the forum a bit more...

For this campaign I'm going with:

goteamcleric
Basxs
osakamatt

I apologize to anyone else who wanted in, trust me if I got paid to DM I'd do it 8 hours a day 7 days a week.

goteamcleric, if you send a private message and would like it to go to more than one person, you have to separate the names with semicolons. For instance, the bulletins I've been sending out look like this:

goteamcleric;osakamatt;Basxs

It's kind of a pain, since as far as I can tell you have to type it out every time, but meh... 20 seconds tops.

Purplesmurf
02-02-2010, 02:14 AM
Okay, no problem. If a spot opens up be sure to let me know! Thanks :D

rev_314
02-10-2010, 07:33 PM
I was wondering if you are still looking for players. If so I would be interested. I have been playing for a while, but not specifically with the Forgotten Realms setting. I am on Central Time, GMT -6H. Sundays would work best for me, but I might be able to make Monday or Wednesday nights work.

Arsonall
02-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Purplesmurf If you're interested in a game (3.5) send me a post. My group needs 2 to 3 more. We play online 2-3 times a month at this point. (subject to group availability).

DariusReynold
02-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Hey, if any games have a spot open, I'm looking for a group. Just PM me with the game details!

tantalus00
03-05-2010, 04:34 PM
I am interested in joining an online game. I've been playing RPGs since 1989 but I haven't played anything recently.

Shy assassin
07-27-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm looking for a 3.5 D&D campaign. Setting doesn't matter, and I have the three core books so I'm a knowledgeable player. That says it, I wanna be a player. I'm consistent, I have my own dice, and I can play anything. I hate being human. PULL ME IN :DDDDDD

QuixoticTheKid
09-26-2011, 04:37 AM
I'm way to interested,are we limited on what source we can use or and what's the starting level?