PDA

View Full Version : Guts and Iron free RPG

Dirk Stanley
01-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Heya! I thought I would let everyone know of our new, free rpg called Guts and Iron. It's fantasy, it's violent, and its free. It is also a wiki and you can check it out here (http://www.simiancircle.com/gnomewiki/mediawiki-1.15.1/index.php?title=Guts_and_Iron) at Simian Circle.

We are constantly updating and adding new stuff. The game uses only d6 and is easy to play.

Also, if anyone is interested in helping on this project, let me know via a PM.

Dirk Stanley
01-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Updated with...

3 new minions: Skeletal Knight, Weasel Assassin, Human Barbarian.
2 new spells: Resurrection, Negate

More coming soon...

Dirk Stanley
02-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Tons of updates to announce!!!

Armor updated with new rules to allow for more strategy in combat as some armors are better at defending against certain weapons.

MoS for Critical Hits changed to 6.

Several new Minions including Ghouls, Vampires, Zombies, Fire and Poison Elementals.

Critical Hits have been updated to be more dangerous and more gruesome.

Armor now entails penalties for not only Dex checks but melee checks as well.

Target Number definition chart has been implemented for determing the TN of a ranged attack.

Dirk Stanley
02-20-2010, 03:24 AM
Weekend Update...

On the Table of Contents page I have created a download section for PC and NPC character sheets. All downloadable stuff will be stuck in here in the future. Next up will be easy access GM charts.

Also. We have begun testing of our Mass Combat System and some preliminary rule sketches are up on online. We are going to attempt to integrate this into the game as seamlessly as possible so that those who wish to wage massive wars can do so and at the same time take part in normal scale combat within these wars. Our goal with this system is make it simple enough so as to avoid tons of bookkeeping.

bigironvault
02-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Hi Dirk - can you walk me through the rationale behind your character creation concept? (Low, High and Middle die)

Interesting and I'd like to understand more about it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-22-2010, 05:11 PM
You had be at "it's violent." I'll take a closer look at it later today.

Dirk Stanley
02-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Hi Dirk - can you walk me through the rationale behind your character creation concept? (Low, High and Middle die)

Interesting and I'd like to understand more about it.

Thanks for the response.

By taking the middle die and getting rid of the other two, the average roll is 3.50. Since all player stats begin at -3, this makes the average starting stat 0. With a 0 Prim or Sec Attribute, you simply roll 2d6 and compare against the TN or Opposed roll, you just have no +/- modifiers to the stat itself.

The idea behind the mechanic was to allow players to start with somewhat balanced characters and to use d6 to generate stats without having to put in wonky math. Plus, we found that during character creation it was kind of fun to do this.

As with any rules though, these are really meant as a guideline. It is the GM who has creative control so I suppose you could roll 3d6 and take the high or 3d6 and take the low depending on the flavor of your game. You could also add an extra point if doubles are rolled. (Actually, I think I will make this an option).

Dirk Stanley
03-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Fat Ass Weekend Update!!!

Anyone who GMs or role plays may find our new Adventure Builder of use.

We have implemented an Adventure Builder section for the Guts and Iron RPG that consists of Scenario Ideas, Hooks, Scenario builders, Ideas, basic information on things to consider when running a campaign etc. While this is intended for use with Guts and Iron, it is not system specific and can totally be used with any medieval, fantasy genre rpg.

Check it out cause its free and its worth looking at.

Adventure Builder (http://www.simiancircle.com/gnomewiki/mediawiki-1.15.1/index.php?title=Guts_and_Iron)

In the near future we will also be implementing an NPC builder, Monster builder and Settlement builder.

Tog
07-17-2010, 01:13 AM
I took a quick look at it. Nothing to thorough. I am very new to RPG gaming, in fact only around two months now. And only playing solo games since I don't have a group to play with.

This is definitely a cool set of rules you have. Definitely looks easy to learn. In fact just from a quick scan I get the basic idea. Sounds like a good game from my little experience that would be called a "Beer and Pretzels" game.

From my quick look though, the only thing I have an issue with is melee combat. Of course house rules could always make a change to that anyway. But bare knuckle combat gets the same amount of dice as weapons in melee. With weapons you just get a few adds.

If I were to play. I would probably have house rules that gave bare knuckles one die, change it to where different weapons had a certain amount of dice depending on weapons, and then adjust adds depending on the weapon used. This just coming from the combat rules of the only game I am really familiar with which is also a d6 game.

All in all this is a pretty nifty set of rules you have, quick dirty and sounds fun! Like I said though, a good set of rules and easily adaptabel to ones own set of house rules that would be easy to learn for anyone.

I would love to see how this turns out if you plan on spending any more time on it.

Nice.