PDA

View Full Version : It is official...

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-28-2010, 01:39 PM
WotC has announced that they will NOT be renewing their Star Wars license with Lucasfilm thus discontinuing the minis and RPG.

you may read about it here:
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22320345/Wizards_of_the_Coast_announcement?pg=1

Barrier Peaks
01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I was thinking this was going to happen sooner or later. There were some rumors among the freelancers I work with back at GenCon that pointed to this very outcome, but at the time that's all they were: Rumors.

Well, it was a good run. It'll be interesting to see if any other publisher takes up the license or not. Even if that doesn't happen, I still have my entire SW RPG library (constituting about 95% of the WEG line, and everything that WotC ever produced/printed for d20, RCR, and Saga).

I'll never stop running or playing Star Wars, even if I'm never able to write for it again.

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-28-2010, 06:59 PM
True, thats how I feel about it.

I also feel that Saga gets it pretty close to the mark as far as an RPG for Star Wars goes.

I want to rework the starship combat system to make it more exciting, I can't recall how that was in d6 and if it was bad or not.

It also gives us the community the time to create a Rules Compendium of sorts for Saga...

Webhead
01-28-2010, 08:05 PM
It would be interesting indeed to see if another company tries to pick up the license and who it is. The Star Wars franchise hasn't been without a licensed RPG in almost 23 years, so I'm curious to know what's going to happen next.

I'll always have my D6 collection but it will be interesting to follow, that's for sure.

cjovalle
01-28-2010, 08:30 PM
I wonder what the broader fan community will be allowed to do.

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-28-2010, 09:03 PM
I wonder what the broader fan community will be allowed to do.

Funny you should ask! Gary Sarli, a freelance game designer is working on a new Sci-fi d20 rpg. Here is currently in the funding stages but you can read and participate in the planning of said RPG here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gmsarli/game-design-e20-system-evolved-roleplaying-gam-0

Dytrrnikl
01-28-2010, 10:06 PM
While it is disappointing, considering Wotc being the RPG powerhouse that they are, I'm not surprised. I have enjoyed the d20 versions of the game, but still prefer WEG d6 version - still have my entire d6 library and a character that I've played off and on since I was 19. Overall, the coverage to Star Wars has never been as thorough as I would've like. When Star Wars was with WEG, that was their Flagship RPG, and got the bulk of their support. Whoever picks up the license, I just hope can give Flagship RPG type support and status to Star Wars...AND return to a skills based system lacking character classes and levels.

Lucifer_Draconus
02-05-2010, 12:11 PM
This sux but won't effect me much as I don't currently play either edition. I hope some one with a simple but fun system gets the license. If need be I'll try to get the saga books so I can either join a local saga based game or convert to Spacemaster2 & run it myself.