PDA

View Full Version : If you were going to lay a curse. . .

PhishStyx
02-09-2007, 10:51 AM
. . . on a fallen knight, what would it be?

Beyond just taking abilities away, I mean a serious bad ass curse set down by the knight's order.

Would it be physical problems or tragedy/dramatic problems or mental difficulties or something else?

* Farcaster's D20 Dice Roller rolled a number between 1 and 105. It could have been anything, but this time, it rolled 90! *

Farcaster
02-09-2007, 10:59 AM
A curse by the knight's own order? Hmm.. What kind of knighthood am I? What is our primary tenet?

Gethsemane
02-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Exactly, give us some details. What did the knight do? All that good stuff.

Farcaster
02-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I always enjoy having a little taste of irony in the curses I lay down :D

PhishStyx
02-09-2007, 01:41 PM
What kind of knighthood am I?
A religious order of . . . Well, here's a description of the god in question:

"Quinegism (the religion) holds Pelnine in the highest regard of any deity. He represents the highest possible spirit of nobility, never being selfish, never not helping someone in need, proud of his own ability and encouraging that ability in others. This Pelnine is the Pelnine of the parables and legends.
He is said by a heretical sect of horofils (knighted monks), called the Knights of the Purple Plume, to be sexless and never to have hunger or thirst.
Pelnine is always seen in the Illuminations with a golden tufted eagle on his shoulder or circling above his head, representing his closeness to or level of (through height) nobility. In these Illuminations and other art, Pelnineís face is increasingly less commonly seen as time passes. Modern day (10,843) Illuminations and art very seldom show Pelnineís face, instead showing him as a figure entirely encased in steel."

What is our primary tenet?

Think of these folks as The Church of Medieval Europe.

What did the knight do?

At this point, I'm undecided, but I'm leaning toward theft, dereliction of duty (probably on multiple counts) in such a way as to allow the destruction of (perhaps a large shrine or small city).

Farcaster
02-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Hmm.. I can't imagine such a church doing much more than excommunicating said individual under the circumstances you are describing, which in and of itself would be a serious punishment for someone such as a knight. I would think it would need to be pretty wanton for an order of good to actually hex someone.

But... If it were wanton, and the church was going to lay down a curse, I would think they would want to make a very good example of this individual to be serve as a warning to anyone who would ever think of commiting such acts again.

Thinking aloud here...

Perhaps every time this knight closes his eyes, whether to sleep or even in his waking hours, he is shall forever see only ash and rot, and shall have to see the decaying faces of those who he wronged. The only way to end his torment shall be to make himself right by deed and to obtain the forgiveness of the families of those who died because of him. If the church is really, really pissed, perhaps he is cursed to walk the earth even after death would have long taken him, until he at last is able to attone himself.

Or, there always seems to be some relic that needs protection until the end of time. Maybe the knight shall be cursed to watch over such an artifact until he is at last given the opportunity to be slain or destoryed trying to protect it.

Gethsemane
02-09-2007, 04:56 PM
theft, dereliction of duty

ah... but what did he do? Theft and dereliction are offenses, but like Farcaster said- not really worthy of a curse unless something about the act was truly heinous, not just the demise of scores of people. I know you said you were undecided as to what he did, but I'm drawing a blank as far as ideas stemming from just theft and dereliction.

For example, perhaps he was charged with protecting the town's food supply during a siege. He's commanding officer made him mad over something truly trivial. He decides, in a fit and knowing the entire time the danger he put the city in by doing it, to foul the grain by defecating in it. (not very epic, I know, but this is just an example :o) Dissentary(sic) wipes out the town for the enemy.
His curse could be that he rots any food he touches, so that he's always sick from food poisoning. He'll always know not only what he did, but how it felt for the innocent to die in that fashion.

PhishStyx
02-09-2007, 08:09 PM
ah... but what did he do?

As I said, I'm still not sure on that part, but I'm only investing a maximum of 200 - 250 words into it. So it can't be too expansive. Possibly something involving a girl from the enemy camp and a trojan horse style attack on the city. He's blamed and lies about his involvement.

Theft and dereliction are offenses, but like Farcaster said- not really worthy of a curse unless something about the act was truly heinous, not just the demise of scores of people.

Hundreds then? A couple thousand?
He, himself, isn't really a murderer in the personal sense of that word. He didn't individually kill anyone; he'd be dead or worse for that sort of crime.

For example, perhaps he was charged with protecting the town's food supply during a siege. He's commanding officer made him mad over something truly trivial. He decides, in a fit and knowing the entire time the danger he put the city in by doing it, to foul the grain by defecating in it. (not very epic, I know, but this is just an example :o) Dissentary(sic) wipes out the town for the enemy.
His curse could be that he rots any food he touches, so that he's always sick from food poisoning. He'll always know not only what he did, but how it felt for the innocent to die in that fashion.

That's an interesting idea.

What I have at the moment is that he's a real scoundrel (from scruffy beginnings to a scruffy middle), but if he develops into something playable on a larger scale, he could go back into the fold and become a knight again or become a much bigger scoundrel.

At the moment, he has both Beholden (Pelnine) 1 (basically, his deity has him tagged so he can see him anywhere) and Adversary (his former order of knights) 3. What concerns me at the moment about him is that the player got a sneak peek a couple weeks ago and said, "oh that's not so bad, I thought it would be awful," regarding the curse I'd already laid out. So now, I want to crank it up a notch.

My current curse on him is that using magic* is painful, as in a poison with a Strength equal to the Essence used.

* (he learned 3 Invocations from somewhere and can pump 3 of his 30 Essence points per turn into those spells)

The Wandering Bard
08-28-2007, 03:05 PM
I completely agree with Farcaster, In a world were the whole of goverment and life is run by the church, as it was in the middle ages.

Ex. England was run by the church. even the king had to answer to the religious leaders. The French had the Cardinal Rishlu (I know I spelled the name wrong.) Who in fact ran the country of france for 10 years (I think).

To be excommunicated was a fate worse than death, I made it so that no church could or would help the person, in a fantasy game this would mean he has no access to the healing properties of a church or a cleric. (Though potions and druids and bards, could heal him.)

It also meant that when he did pass into death that his sould would forever be tormented in hell or hells in a fantasy setting.

A nice curse would be that he is hunted by the very demons that will torment him in death. (In a low level game, Imps, and mephits should suffice.) they wouldn't have to appear all the time, but at strategic moments or slower moments like travel.

just a few thoughts

Vimachipal
08-31-2007, 09:41 PM
. . . on a fallen knight, what would it be?

Beyond just taking abilities away, I mean a serious bad ass curse set down by the knight's order.

Would it be physical problems or tragedy/dramatic problems or mental difficulties or something else?

Banishment for a major offense.

PhishStyx
09-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Well, he was of course excommunicated, but I was looking for something with a little oomph to it.

Because he had learned some magic spell casting, what I ended up doing was:
"Note: When using magic, count each use as a poison with a str level equal the amount of Essence channeled. Damage is done to Endurance Points and if damage is more than half of Thazenís remaining EP in one instance, he is stunned for d4 minutes."

But what I found was that I should've made it a curse he could die from; he barely noticed that one.

patthager
09-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Should the curse force the character to play in any unique way [The character's armor rusts and become useless after hours of wear, so essentially has to fight without armor], should it be a general impediment [he must carry around a pile of skulls on his back, receiving a -2 to all physical roles], or just change the the character's 'character' [his skin is covered with rot, so he dresses like the invisible man]?