PDA

View Full Version : Horrible fates and deaths

BladeMaster0182
01-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Hey there,

In my Sunday game I have a player who likes to write up post-it notes with really lame jokes and puns. In return I write down some sort of dire consequence for her charater. It started off as XP lost and eventually escalated to "Lose everything and everyone you ever loved." However, next game she's bringing in a book and I can't beat a book by myself, so what I want to know is what are some horrible fates or deaths one of your characters have suffered, or what are some creative and hilarious fates for her character (a tiefling rogue) to suffer?

tesral
01-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Let's see. The problem is you used the worse of all. That leaves little room fot embarrassing fates.

Sat on by an Elephant.

The ninjas on the wall he was chasing hit him with a seruken when he looked up.

Flattened and punctured by a trap he failed to detect. As the panel came crashing down the Druid shouts "Warp..." The bloody spikes pierce the wood. "...nevermind."

Used as a weapon by a yeti.

Arkhemedes
01-22-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure I understand what's really happening here. You're punishing a character because the player of that character writes jokes on sticky notes? First of all, I'm not sure she needs to be punished at all. Sounds to me like you're being a bit vindictive. But then, obviously, I'm not there - so I don't know the whole picture. So, assuming she does need to be punished, I'm having a hard time believing that losing XPs and all possessions and loved ones has not changed the player's gaming style. Perhaps now she's doing what she's doing merely out of spite, in which case you've only made the problem worse.

On the other hand, I've done a few dirty deeds myself as a DM. One of my favorites was the black pudding that fell from the ceiling of a cave onto a character's head. When the black pudding began eating the flesh off the face of the character, which later left permanent scars on the character's face, I pointed out to the player that just before being attacked by the black pudding, that the character saw a pool of water just ahead. Thinking that he could wash the black pudding off in the water, the player had his character run and jump into the pool. What I failed to point out however, was that the pool was full of man-eating fish.

Yeah, the other players and I laughed for a good long while after that.

wizarddog
01-22-2010, 07:46 PM
I think it is all in good fun. The Puns her bit of jester and he jest ast the consequences for bad puns. So there is no real animosity.

His concern is she is now building up an arsenal of Puns from a source and he is trying to find a source for horrible consequences. Sounds like a good time to read up some Edward Gorey. However, I believe you can find a forum that list horrible character deaths either at this site or in the wizards or others. Someone always has a list of the...

cplmac
01-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Snack for a passing, hungry dragon.

:hungry:

tesral
01-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Tragically cut his throat 27 times with a razor.

Sneaksta
01-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Grimtooth's Traps Ate

tesral
01-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Tragically tripped and fell down five different flights of stairs.

Grandore The Giant Killer
01-24-2010, 12:28 PM
A player used a magic vest that gave him a set of wings and started flying. He wound up crashing into the side of a mountain where he landed into a den of hungry Ogres.

BladeMaster0182
01-24-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure I understand what's really happening here. You're punishing a character because the player of that character writes jokes on sticky notes? First of all, I'm not sure she needs to be punished at all. Sounds to me like you're being a bit vindictive. But then, obviously, I'm not there - so I don't know the whole picture. So, assuming she does need to be punished, I'm having a hard time believing that losing XPs and all possessions and loved ones has not changed the player's gaming style. Perhaps now she's doing what she's doing merely out of spite, in which case you've only made the problem worse.

On the other hand, I've done a few dirty deeds myself as a DM. One of my favorites was the black pudding that fell from the ceiling of a cave onto a character's head. When the black pudding began eating the flesh off the face of the character, which later left permanent scars on the character's face, I pointed out to the player that just before being attacked by the black pudding, that the character saw a pool of water just ahead. Thinking that he could wash the black pudding off in the water, the player had his character run and jump into the pool. What I failed to point out however, was that the pool was full of man-eating fish.

Yeah, the other players and I laughed for a good long while after that.

No it is definitely all in good fun. She would start leaving them in places I would find them later, like the bathroom. Everyone at the table (including her,) had a good laugh both when the joke was found and when I came back with a horrible fate.

Thanks everybody for your ideas.

Arkhemedes
01-24-2010, 02:24 PM
No it is definitely all in good fun. She would start leaving them in places I would find them later, like the bathroom. Everyone at the table (including her,) had a good laugh both when the joke was found and when I came back with a horrible fate.

Thanks everybody for your ideas.
Ah, I see. So this is not happening "In game" as it it were. Sorry. I was not clear on that.

You have to understand though. I've seen some bizarre things in my years of gaming. But yeah, it actually sounds like good fun.

kirksmithicus
01-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Character stops in the middle of the street to count his change intent on buying a delicious pastry from a local vendor when he is hit by a runaway dung cart.

It's a ______ way to die :drum:

TheYeti1775
01-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Used as a weapon by a yeti.
What's wrong with that? :lol:

tesral
01-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Being the only person to blow their dex rolls and end up in the boiling mud of White Plume Mt. AND being the thief.

Scribe of the Realm
01-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Prolonged Enchantment Psychosis: Very rare delusional mental illness. Onset time is unknown. Early symptoms include facial ticks, flights of fancy, and hypersensitivity to sharp noises. Antisocial behaviors increase as the victim's grasp of reality diminishes. The particular expression of advanced symptoms appears to be dependent on the victim's original personality, but anecdotal reports suggest that driven personality, nervous twitching of the limbs, seclusion, and fits of rage the are most common. The advanced condition worsens rapidly, possibly due to existing neurological damage, when treated with counter spells of the enchantment school.

Banshee
03-05-2010, 11:50 AM
You've seen the movie "Groundhog Day" right? Maybe it's not particularly hilarious, but having to live the day over and over again until she answers the "riddle" might be funny to use in your game. Just a suggestion...