PDA

View Full Version : Talisman

cigamnogard
01-18-2010, 07:56 PM
I think this game is on its 3rd or 4th edition. Our family recieved it for Xmas from some "gamer" friends.

My 7 year old son loves it and is a real trooper when he dies.
My 13 year old step son has become quite the rules lawyer.
My 15 year old daughter enjoys the family time and the fact that she does very well at it.
My 17 year old step daughter even played it with us and went head to head with her sister and mother.
My gf/fiancee and I both hate to lose and have yet to play a game without showing how poor sports we are.
I both like and hate the game!

wizarddog
01-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Talisman is cool. I have the second edition with supplements Adventure, City, and Dungeon (Timescape and Dragon being the only others left). It is kind of an easy way to ease people into fantasy games who are not familiar with concepts of slaying monsters, collecting treasure, and casting spells.

cplmac
01-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Yes, it is on its 4th Edition. One of the members of our tabletop group has the 4th Edition, along with all 3 of the expansions that have been made for it so far. We have a blast playing it before everyone arrives to do the rpg game (currently AD&D 2E).

Another board game our group plays is Tales of the Arabian Nights. They have put out new version of it that is larger than the original. The member that has the Talisman game, got the new Arabian Nights for the couple that host our game sessions as a gift for always letting us game at their place.

cigamnogard
01-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Another board game our group plays is Tales of the Arabian Nights.
Hmmm - sounds interesting - would my family/gaming group like it?

cpljarhead
01-19-2010, 08:47 PM
i have the talisman game 2ed witht the dungeon and city expansions and i love playing it when i can. have played it mainly with stepdaughter and son. we just have a great time. i first learned of it at local convention in san diego, tournament and i entered, and took 1st place where where the prize was a brand new talisman game. that was back in 1989.

Freejack
01-19-2010, 09:01 PM
I have 1st Edition I guess along with most if not all of the expansions (never did check for sure; now I'll have to though :) ).

We really have a great time playing it. It took us 6 hours last time with all the expansions in play. Great game though.

Talisman and Cosmic Encounters are my two favorite board games.

Carl

kkriegg
01-23-2010, 06:48 PM
My good buddy bought me Revised 4th Edition for my birthday. I love it. It has enough player decision to keep your attention, but enough randomness to just be fun to play. I don't have any expansions yet. What do you guys think of them?

cplmac
01-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Hmmm - sounds interesting - would my family/gaming group like it?

Cig,

I would think that if your family enjoys playing Talisman that you would also enjoy playing Tales of the Arabian Nights. Both games do take quite awhile to play though.

cigamnogard
01-28-2010, 02:30 AM
Looks interesting - will keep an eye out for it:
http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/tales_arabian_nights.htm

michaelsbagley
01-29-2010, 03:54 PM
I bought the 4th edition when it first came out... Then I read the license was sold to another company who released a "revised" 4th edition...

Love the game! The wife loves it too (and she is not much of a fantasy gamer)!

What made me really happy, is the company that bought the rights, released an upgrade package so those who bought the first 4th edition can use their game with their new expansion packs. To me that is integrity in a company... Releasing a product so customers who bought from someone else can easily upgrade to be compatible... Why hasn't Bill Gates thought of this? (just kidding)

I've also bought the first expansion pack the 4th edition ("The Reaper" expansion) which does add some cool new cards and characters to the game. I plan to buy some of the bigger expansions soon.

cigamnogard
01-29-2010, 06:22 PM
I've also bought the first expansion pack the 4th edition ("The Reaper" expansion) which does add some cool new cards and characters to the game. I plan to buy some of the bigger expansions soon.
What kind of characters?

cplmac
01-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Oh yeah, who ever happens to be farther ahead of the rest usually is being chased by the reaper. So far, nobody in our group has had to encounter the reaper yet, but there have been a couple of close calls.

michaelsbagley
02-01-2010, 08:57 AM
What kind of characters?

One is the "Dark Cultist", I think "The Merchant" is another... The other two I can not think of off the top of my head, nor can I find an easy web source that lists them.

We've used the reaper in two games since I have gotten that expansion, and both times, someone has been unlucky enough to get the die rolls that lead to instant death... And at least once, the person who "died" by said unlucky die rolls came back and won the game.

Freejack
02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
I think boardgamegeek has a componant list. I saw the box was there but don't recall for sure what the list contained.

Carl

cigamnogard
02-01-2010, 06:33 PM
There were two expansions Frostqueen and Reaper - we went with Frostqueen as it had an Ogrechieftan you could play as a player character.
It went so much faster than the Command Spell options!

yukonhorror
02-01-2010, 07:03 PM
i played first edition, took a long time, but I thought it was a very nice change of pace

cigamnogard
02-09-2010, 05:24 PM
It's my son's birthday this weekend and I believe some friends are going to buy an expansion pack for him.