PDA

View Full Version : High AC build Fighter

harmor
01-18-2010, 12:39 AM
What would you guys suggest for a high AC build fighter?

Dr Berry
01-18-2010, 10:11 AM
If you want to have a high AC at the expense of all else, a tower shield would be your best bet. You would want a Dex of 13 so you could get the Dodge feat, then get Shield Focus, and eventually Greater Shield Focus. Other than that, buy the best armor you can afford (aspiring to some magic full plate), and you should have an AC through the roof.

WhiteTiger
01-18-2010, 04:01 PM
I usually MAX out my dex and then get dodge feat. I love high dex since it gives high reflex save and it gives a higher Touch AC. Eventually when I get enough gold, I start hunting for mithral and have some magical medium or heavy armor made from it. If you go sword & board, then yes the shield feats are necessary but you will also need to keep your damage up so make sure that you can use a B-sword one-handed.

cpljarhead
01-18-2010, 05:55 PM
rings of protection are a help because they have the deflection bonus and you could always find magic that would increase your natural armor

wizarddog
01-18-2010, 06:26 PM
If you want to sacrifice it all for a high AC you can also take Combat Expertise (provide you have an INt of 13).

Remember that with Armor Mastery, the fighter increases his Dex bounus on his armor so a high Dex is a good thing for a fighter. By 7th level he can have a +3 DX with full plate armor without special materials or magic.

cigamnogard
01-18-2010, 07:48 PM
I cuncur with my peers! :)
And as a fighter an alternative feat suggestion might be:
Improved Shield bash - able to use your shield as a weapon and still retain its AC

Dr Berry
01-19-2010, 09:56 AM
If you want to sacrifice it all for a high AC you can also take Combat Expertise (provide you have an INt of 13).

Remember that with Armor Mastery, the fighter increases his Dex bounus on his armor so a high Dex is a good thing for a fighter. By 7th level he can have a +3 DX with full plate armor without special materials or magic.

That's ture; I forgot to take that into account. Yes, a high Dex would work great for a full-plate fighter.

Swordnboard
01-19-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm in agreement as well with the feats, DEX bonus, and armor choices. Mithral full plate, tower shield, armor and shield masteries...

I personally don't like using combat expertise except in certain circumstances... I don't like taking the penalty to hit unless a hit is guaranteed anyways or if I'm desperate to avoid getting hit. That said, you could in theory have an incredible AC with Combat Expertise, as wizarddog points out.

stonebreaker
01-23-2010, 01:54 AM
Harmor,
I'm going to assume this is a first level character that you are starting.
Go with good Dex. Let's say 15. That's a +2 bonus. Take the dodge feat +1 bonus. Take the shield focus feat with a heavy shield that's +3 bonus, and lastly a chain shirt for a +4 bonus. Total is AC 20. Not bad at 1st level. When you get to 4th level put the bonus ability point in Dex for AC 21 plus whatever magic items you found that can help you with AC.
Fighting defensively can help too.
The down side to this is the armor check penalty to start is going to be -4, but some of this will go away after you get "armor training" at 3rd level and you start putting ranks in the appropriate skills.
Hope this helps.

Azar
01-23-2010, 12:15 PM
I would also go dwarf, because if your fighting giants, you get a +4 dodge bonus

cigamnogard
01-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Good idea but I might go human for the bonus feat and skill points.

Azar
01-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Okay, but just to let you know, is that you can prstige him into dwarven defender, you may want to look at it.

DarQuing
01-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Are there any restrictions on DEX and full plate in PF? You may want to consider those.

Karrius
01-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Do you want to make a character who has as high AC as possible, or one who can serve as an effective tank for a party? Most of the suggestions in this thread are going to give you a huge AC, but still leave you with a really bad character.

First of all, two-weapon fighting is not worth it for a defensively focused character. The dexterity requirement is crippling, and is something you can ill-afford. You will, after all, need a very good strength and constitution, 13 intelligence if you want to use Combat Expertise and Improved Trip (you will), and good dex and wis for your AC, reflex, and will saves. How can you possible afford 15 dex as a starting character?

For defensive characters, you have a few options:

The flail and shield guy. Go ahead and use a tower shield here if you want, or a large shield, it doesn't really matter. Focus on Trip and Disarm feats. You'll need 13 int, and want 12 or 14 dexterity. You absolutely need to put everything else into Strength - human starting bonus, highest stat, etc. The idea is using full-plate and a shield to give you high AC, and use trip and disarm to keep enemies close. Only problem is you're using a one-handed flail, which isn't as good as a two-handed one. You can still use a two-handed flail and a shield, luckily, with the help of a feat from Complete Warrior. I don't have the book on me now, but it lets you get the benefit from a Buckler, while still maintaining a -1 penalty to hit. When it's only worth +1 AC, that doesn't really matter, but that buckler can eventually be enchanted to be worth +6 AC. Well worth the cost of a feat and -1 to hit, and it allows you to spend another two feats for another +1 AC each.

The second option is to use a reach weapon, particularly one that can trip. You won't be using the shield, unless you go the buckler route, but overall your strategy is pretty much the same. With the benefits of a reach weapon, however, you can prevent enemies from reaching you. If allowed, take Hold the Line (also in complete warrior, I believe) which gives you an AoO on any enemy that charges you. In this case, you actually are going to need at least 14 dex, just so you can make good use of Combat Reflexes, a must-have feat to give you plenty of AoOs.

Finally, there's the two-shield route. Only go this option if you're starting at medium to high levels, AND you have an extremely good stat array. You'll need high strength, so you can actually hit stuff, high con to give you HP, at least 15 dex for two weapon fighting (and you'll want 17 eventually for Improved Two Weapon fighting - get it through a magical item), and that's not even touching wisdom for will saves yet. The feats you'll need are: Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Shield Bash, Shield Slam, and Shield Master. That's a heavy feat investment, as it doesn't even count Weapon Focus and such, and requires a medium level character to start up. What you do here is you actually wield *two* large shields. What happens next depends on how you read Shield Master, or if you have it yet.

If you read Shield Master to give just the shield bonus, and not the defensive enhancement bonus to attacks, OR if you're two low level for shield master, one of your shields has for defensive enhancements (+1 bashing and whatever neat abilities like fortification you want), and the other is (+5 bashing). For offensive enhancements, make both a simple +5, and only add special stuff through greater magic weapon.

If you read Shield Mastery to give you the shield AND defensive enhancement bonus to the offensive enhancement bonus, boy are you in luck. Both of your shields need to be a +5 defensive enhancement ASAP. The offensive enhancement doesn't really matter, but making them stuff like +1 flaming, shocking, icy, etc, can be neat. Not overly useful, but if you have money to spend, there you go.

EDIT: Also, human likely is your best choice, due to how many feats you'll need, and how low your skills will be. You'll definitely want to put your stat bonus into strength. And do *not* take dwarven defender - it's an awful, awful PrC, that ends up crippling you.