PDA

View Full Version : Storm Pillar (Arcane Manual)

Geode
01-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Hey, it's me again! ^_^ I've got a quick technical question about this spell

Storm pillar
A crackling column of lightning appears amid your enemies, lashing out at any who move near it.
At-will, Standard Action --- ranged 10
Effect: You conjure a pillar of crackling energy in an unoccupied square within range. The pillar occupies 1 square and lasts until the end of your next turn. Each enemy that moves into a square adjacent to the storm pillar takes 1d6 + int mod lightning damage
So here are my burning questions. I'm in the gray zone with all of these, so I'd be willing to let it swing either way:

-Can I end my turn on it?
-Is the center of the pillar a safe zone for enemies?

I understand that you can't summon it on top of something. Does that mean that the pillar is an ally and can be walked through by my companions? Or is it a solid mass of electricity? If it's a solid mass, shouldn't it block vision?

It's ultimately up to the DM, of course, but I'm not sure if I should even bring it up! But it's going to drive me NUTS if I don't know before I have reason to use it! Gah!

Blydden
01-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Actually, I don't think you, nor enemies CAN move into the pillar's space.

However, perhaps with an athletics/acrobatics check you could position yourself on top of the pillar, but an enemy would still take damage if they did that, I believe. Of course, when the pillar disappears...that could be a pretty good fall, perhaps.

Up to the DM, I suppose, to decide how the pillar works, and you should DEFINITELY bring it up with him. No point in going into battle trying to do stuff you can't and suffer as a result. ;)

wizarddog
01-14-2010, 04:30 PM
The Pillar occupies the square. You cannot end your move on that square. It occupies the square as an object and you cannot move through it normally. (Your DM can make the decision on whether you can use a skill check to do so). It also provides no cover (as it would have to indicate that in the description).

Only enemies are damaged by it if they move into square adjacent to it. Note they have to move into the square; sliding, pushing and other force movement will not trigger the damage. However, an enemy takes damage each time they move into a square adjacent to it so if they had to walk around it then they would take damage each square they move adjacent to it.

The Pillar works in a way than other spells because it is not a zone, so the tactics of using it are different. It is more useful in tight quarters than on a large battle field. Place in a 10 foot doorway and you see the potential. Remember that the damage is automatic, there is no to hit roll.

yukonhorror
01-14-2010, 04:48 PM
as for blocking vision, think of it as a glass column. You can see through it, but can't walk through it. As for LOE, that's up to the DM, but I'd allow it.