PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy of Intrigue discussion

Slipstream
01-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Galaxy of Intrigue (http://penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14501), which officially releases this Saturday is quite an awesome book. I won't waste time gloating that I have it early as much as tell you: It's worth picking up, especially you GM's. My gaming group is blessed with some awesome and deep story lines and it's getting better and better all the time. I can't wait to see some of the ideas from the book implemented into our campaigns. This book will help your characters, both PCs and NPCs to have deeper, multi-dimensional elements to them. Heck, I'm even getting ideas from it that are great even for non-Star Wars games!

Players, especially nobles, will want the book for the awesome talent trees and bonus feats. In fact there are new bonus feats for every heroic class. Wizards did a fine job on this one.

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
How dare you tempt us with such info and not follow through!

Aaaarrrgggghhhh! I want it!

More info!

Slipstream
01-14-2010, 01:07 AM
More info!
Hehe, what specific topics would you like to know about?

cjovalle
01-14-2010, 11:19 PM
I thought the release date was Tuesday?

Barrier Peaks
01-15-2010, 08:02 PM
You lucky fiend. I wrote part of the book, my name is on the cover, and I haven't seen a copy yet. Gloat while you can!

G

GC13
01-16-2010, 12:28 AM
You lucky fiend. I wrote part of the book, my name is on the cover, and I haven't seen a copy yet. Gloat while you can!

GShouldn't you add it to your Portfolio then? :biggrin:

Anyway, I gotta love anything for my Noble. I don't think you'll be able to beat Crime Lord though.

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Borders usually gets all the rpg books a few days if not a week before their release date. I always call my local store the weekend before and they have consistently had the books in stock.

I would like to know about how skill challenges have been implimented in Saga if you don't mind paraphrasing.

I am incorporating them into my next game in 2 weeks and want to see the "official" rules on it.

Barrier Peaks
01-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Shouldn't you add it to your Portfolio then? :biggrin:

Yeah, I should. Been a little busy lately, though.

How'd the planet chapter turn out?

Slipstream
01-19-2010, 02:13 AM
cjovalle, you are correct. My bad on the release date. I had the 16th in my head when it was really the 19th. And I actually got the book last Tuesday from a local bookstore called Santoros (http://www.santorosbooks.com) here in Seattle. They pride themselves on getting special orders in very quickly. I noticed that the last couple Star Wars books I preordered got there very quickly, so I trusted they would somehow get Intrigue early as well. Sure you pay the full price compared to places like Amazon but hey, if I'm helping Gary, Rodney, and the rest of the team pay the bills. Plus I feel good about the purchase, especially because I like the game so much.

Gary I haven't extensively read the chapter yet, but I liked what I saw. And the GM's in my group did as well. Is it officially joining the canon (not like the canon follows itself anymore these days anyway :P)

cjovalle
01-19-2010, 08:40 PM
That's all right, I was able to wait the three days without too much harm. ^_-

If you're referring to the World of Intrigue chapter, it's quite interesting.

Barrier Peaks
01-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Gary I haven't extensively read the chapter yet, but I liked what I saw. And the GM's in my group did as well. Is it officially joining the canon (not like the canon follows itself anymore these days anyway :P)
True enough.

My interest stems from that chapter (and the adventure) being my babies. Unfortunately, I don't get to see these things after editing/development until they're in print (and I still don't have my copies). I'm always interested to see what makes the cut and what ends up chopped out.

Slipstream
01-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Sorry for the late response to your query, Inquisitor.

Skill Challenges chapter includes, but not limited to the following:
An opening discussion about how to play said challenges, making sure since it IS Star Wars to think cinematically and encourage the players to use their strengths. Also there are plenty of pages explaining how to set DC's and what's appropriate.

There are about a dozen thorough examples of challenges including breaching a shield generator bunker, playing out a podrace, successfully navigating an asteroid field (yay!), some generic intrigue situations which make sense for the book, travel across very rough terrain topside, and the all classic speeder bike chase (heck yes!)

cjovalle
01-20-2010, 10:45 PM
The skill challenge system is better fleshed out than its 4E equivalent, IMHO.

There are also feats and talents in the book that can specifically help in skill challenges.

Slipstream
01-24-2010, 10:39 PM
OMG Skill Challenges! AMAZING. By the way, in one of the two campaigns our group is on... we're currently on Nyriaan. Such a dangerous planet for a party with no scouts! :P We're in the wild, outside of Locus, trying to stave off beasties of one form or another.

Slipstream
03-22-2010, 01:52 AM
Seriously... skill challenges just keep getting better and better. I cannot express how awesome they are when implemented into the actual story of a game. They add so much and really stretch each player to use their skills in really creative ways. Even when it comes to your turn and are clueless how your meager skills could help a situation, eventually you take the first and often off-the-wall idea that comes to you and the rest of the group loves it. Those decisions often start snowballing and give other people ideas. I love evenings like tonight that completely surprise the GM, keeping them on their feet.

Inquisitor Tremayne
03-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I finally picked up the book, and I gotta say Skill Challenges are great! We are still getting used to them but they work SO much better than they do or did in 4e!

Woot!