PDA

View Full Version : Campaigns / Adventures The Mill 4e Adventure Level 8

wizarddog
01-09-2010, 05:13 PM
The following is a 4e adventure I wrote for level 8. I got most of the scenario from a Michael Chabon's Short story from Werewolves in their Youth "In the Black Mill".

The Mill: Level 8 Adventure
Designed for Four 8th level PCs. Add additional 6-8th level foe for larger groups.

The old stone bridge, built from the old empire still stands and serves as the main crossing of the Wyvren River. Fore centuries, trade across the bridge has united the two main towns of Jolaph and Christina. In between the two towns, situated near the old bridge, is Geoff Town, a small mill town that has enjoyed trade of caravans and merchants traveling from Jolaph and Christina.

Lately, things have changed a bit. The merchants of both towns were dismayed to find the residents of Geoff now demand a toll to cross the stone bridge. Begrudgingly some merchants paid the exuberant toll. Those who refused to pay found themselves turning back. And those that argued found themselves beaten and chased out of town, their trade good confiscated.

The Local authorities of Jolaph have had enough and have hired a negotiator and men at arms to go to the town and straighten out this mess. They are to meet with the town elders of Geoff town and try to negotiate a settlement for the use of the bridge. After all, Geoff use to benefit from the arrangement long ago…

Things have changed for the town of Geoff. The crops around the town have withered and no one apparently is growing for the next season. Yet, the large mill continues to churn smoke and the people go in and work. It has expanded considerably into all the buildings becoming one giant monstrosity. More strange, the attitudes of the people are lethargic and the men have suffered horribly by the machinery of the mill, crushed limbs, severed body parts are now the norm for the workers. The arrival of the negotiating team find themselves in a strange situation.

What’s going on:
Foul deeds are afoot at Geoff Town. One year ago, a local well digger, Oscar Knowels found an opening into an underground a mile from the town. The area opened to the temple to Yuggo, a foul witch demon. Hoping to find some priceless artifacts, Oscar kept the find secret from town while he tried to get supplies to do his own treasure hunt. Yuggo however seize the opportunity for freedom and utilized her powers to summon Phillipia. The she devil sent the succubus Philippa to marry Oris (after disposing of his wife), the local mayor. Yuggo then began to control of the woman of this town and seduces the men by the brew of a drink called the Ring. The woman of this town now live exclusively on the flesh and blood of their men. The men are sustained by the brewing of The Ring. The men are sacrificed via the mill their bodies to help rise their she demon mistress from her prison of death. A tunnel from the temple to the towns mill was dug by other devilish creatures who have aligned with Yuggo. Once freed from her captivity in the temple below, Yuggo will begin using her powers to expand her influence on the world.

Even fouler is the obviousness that all the children are missing. They were the first victims to be tossed into the mill long ago. The one young man left, Dexter is the only boy left and his turn to go to the mill approaches.

Event 1 Arrival

When the players approach outlaying farms near the town they see the crops have been neglected for the season. Soil is dried and in some cases crops not even brought in. Some farm houses are boarded up or even more strange completely dissembled from brick, stone and wood. The smoke of the mill can be seen in the distance near the river. Inspection of the barns find emaciated farm animals rotting away from starvation

The Stone Bridge in indeed an ancient structure of stone and a masterwork of architecture from the old kingdom. Built into the entrance of the bridge are stone towers, reinforced by new stone work to accommodate the toll guards. The entrance has been set up with a wooden gate to stop wagons and people from crossing. The men are ordered to collect tolls from travelers who wish to cross the Wyvren River. The Toll is 10 gold pieces per person or 50 per wagon. Those who fail to pay are turned back. Those that try to wade the river too close to the bridge are warned by crossbow bolts. The point of the toll is to discourage persons from entering the town.

Despite the show of force, the bridge guards are little match for armed PC’s. Attacking the guards merely warns Philppia that a armed party is entering the village and she takes precautions by alerting all of her servants. They in turn receive a +2 to their perception, stealth, and insight rolls when dealing with the PCs.

Event 2 Entering the Town

Upon crossing the bridge the Party end sup in the middle of Geoff Town and behold the awesome and hideous Mill which encompasses the town and is turned by two wheels in the adjacent river. Black smoke churns from the chimneys of the mill and the sound of low grinding of stone and gears can be heard.

The cobble square is nearly deserted. Shops that once were open are now completely closed, serving as sleeping quarters for the men off shift. These sleeping areas are maintained by the woman who change sheets, wash clothes and other household chores. There appears to be only two buildings open, The Boars’s Inn and Murdor’s Boarding House. Other signs of homes and building show they have been scavenged or absorbed into the Mill.

Event 3 The Shift Bell

Every eight hours, the shift bell rings and a line of men from the mill exit while another lines up and enters. The organization seems to be non verbal and the men lineup in an almost trance like state. Those that exit head to the empty houses to sleep while the next shift moves to the Boars Head awaiting it’s next shift.

Anyone who tries to talk to a man leaving the Mill ignores them and goes to sleep. If Pc’s try to talk to them entering the Mill they are ignored. Only in the Boars Head do the men talk to PC’s. If a PC tries to enter the Mill through the shift change see on Entering the Mill.

Locations:

The Boar’s End: The local pub and eatery at the town. Run by Mary Dwight, her husband, killed by the Mill. She also has a brewery that makes the Ring mead. Her nephew Dexter is a server at the pub.

There is always at least 30 men in the Boars head awaiting a shift. They drink exclusively the Ring mead and talk to themselves about various subjects regarding weather, family, and how much work they have to finish. PC’s will note that most of the men have some finger, arm, foot, hand or other body part severed or maimed. All are from working in the Mill.

Dexter immediately greats the PC’s on upon entering. He is more animated then all the rest of the men and finds the players a suitable table to accommodate them. Mary eyes them suspiciously. Dexter at this point can provide some information the PC’s need and anything they want. He will even scavenge up some old carrots and potatoes and eggs should the PC’s require food. He is hesitant to serve them the Ring but Mary slams the tankards of the drink on their table nevertheless.

It is here talking to the men that the PC’s can get general information from conversations of the happenings in town:

The Town Pastor sits alone in the church drinking the congregation wine. What he did to those girls is unforgivable. That church should be burnt down.

The men are waiting for their shift. The Mill has taken limbs from almost everyman in town. Its all part of the work they do. Most have left their fields on the urging of their wives.

Mayor Otis is retired from the Mill. He lost both legs to the Mill. His wife is Phillipe.

If asked about children some will say they had children but can’t really remember much about them. They change the subject.

Legend has it that a witch lives in the Wither Forest. Hunters pay her respect when in her realm.

The Mudor Boarding House:
The only place to rest in this town and has not been salvaged for the Mill. It is run by the Widow Mudor. Eyeing the PC’s she asks them what they want, saying she provides beds only for 1 gold piece (quite expensive for this horrid place) a night and not reasonable for any fleas or lice. Observant players (DC 23) will notice that there is a passageway in between the walls where peep hole can look into the rooms. The entrance is in her own chambers. Widow Mudor uses them to spy on her tenants. This was her common practice before she became a servant of Yuggo.

The Church
The lone pastor of this church, Tallen McCorm has gone quite mad from fear, guilt and misery. Seduced by one of the local girls, the town has turned against him and his congregation is now gone. He now drinks the communion wine in the church cellar to numb his guilt. However, despite his fall in faith, his god has not deserted him. The church protects those who enter from the influence of Yuggo and Philippa cannot enter the holy site. While the Church does provide protection against Philippa and her demon creatures, it does little good against the men who will throw torches at the church to burn it down should they be enticed.

On arrival the Pastor rises from his drunken stupor to welcome the PC’s , kicking a empty jug of wine as he stands. Players may obtain Holy water and healing words from the Pastor. However, if they try to perform an extended rest after infiltrating the Mill, the towns folk will attack the church and set it on fire.

The Mill
The Mill indeed a vast complex of gears and grinders. Men work the gears by cranking in different areas of the Mill. The large gears occasionally grinds a man’s appendage into a system of grinding stones pulverizing it into a bloody mush that is the sacrifice to the Yuggo altar. Located in the Mill is the distillery that makes the mead. Yuggo’s devil servants run the mill and order attack on anyone not a worker.

The walls of the Mill are very dangerous from catching a PC and causing damage. Those adjacent to the walls are attacked by the gears and stone crushers +10 vs Reflex 2d6+2 damage and the target is immobilized until they save and move away from the wall. Those immobilized are attacked again each try they stay next to the walls.

The Temple of Yuggo
Deep in the ground is the remains of the temple of Yuggo where Yuggo’s altar lays to receive the sacrifices and the source of her influence. Originally Yuggo’s altar was a ring of stones in a field before the ancient kingdom conquered the wild lands. The inhabitants took the stones from the site and buried them into a secret chamber. Yuggo requires sacrifice on a constant level in order to rebuild her strength, the addition of the mill provides that.

Notable NPC’s/Foes

Dexter Dwight
Because of his age, Dexter has managed to avoid being sent to the mill and being killed out right along with the children. As such, he is very keen on the going on in the town. Dexter, if treated well, can provide much information for the PC’s. Dexter unfortunately knows not the significance of many things. It is only a matter of time before he is sent to the mill to suffer the same fate of the adults.

Whose in charge?
Tha’ be mayor Oris, my lords. Fourth generation of mayors in this town he be. But everyone knows his beautiful young wife, Phillpia calls the shots. I seen her giving old Oris a chewing out, I did.

What do they make in the Mill?
I ain’t never been in side the Mill, so I can’t say. Me dad, he used to bring the harvest to the Mill but they told him not to bring anymore so he went to Christina to sell at that market. He and mum never came back; huntsmen said they found their wagon, but no sign of them. I was brought to town be raised by me Aunt.
There is one thing that comes from the Mill and that’s the Town drink, The Ring. Don’t care for it myself. I don’t think Mayor Otis cares for it either.

Why is their no Food/Shops?
It was this way when I came to live in town. People need to expand the Mill so they scavenged their houses and expanded the Mill. Crops all around have gotten bad. Some say a witch, in the upper forest, has cursed them. I just think they didn’t bother to work the fields. Now everyone has to work in the Mill to make ends meet. I’ve been lucky. Manage to create a little vegetable garden for myself , even have a chicken and rooster I raised from chicks. I soon be seeing some eggs. But don’t tell me aunt. She’d get real testy if she found out. I’m suppose to be starting to work at the Mill next week.

About Pastor Tallen McCorm ?
A scoundrel he is. Rumor has it he broke his own vows by having relations with local girls in town. Cost him his whole congregation. Now they say he sits up in the church drinking away the communion wine. What a sorry old sod.

Oscar Knowels?
I knew him. He was a well digger help me dad dig one years ago. Lives off near the Withering Forest a mile away. Haven’t seen him for along time. Wouldn’t be surprised if the witch in the Withering forest had something to do with his disappearance!

Where are the Children?
I guess staying indoors with their mums. They say there was a pox about a year ago that killed most of them. I think they were eaten by the Witch in the Withering forest! But don’t you pass that on to me aunt. She says there is no such witch and she’ll knock my ears if she heard me saying it.

Witch in the Withering forest
Some say she’s legend, but some of the huntsman say she’s for real. I heard stories that would make your hair stand on end. Like she can fly through the trees and appear in one place and another. She drinks the blood of animals they say but I bet she would rather have a juicy villager or two. Lord knows I won’t set afoot into the Withering forest!

Philippa (Mistress of Yuggo)
Taking on the role of wife, Philippa has managed to gain control of the town and supervise the construction of the Mill. Questioning Phillippa is a bit hard, as she refers to her husband in such matters, being the respective wife. If PC’s are persisting, she tries to place the strangeness to the Priest who has been caught fraternizing with young girls, thus his congregation now empty of the towns people. She feels that he has something to do with the strangeness of the town.

Mayor Oris
Otis is under a charm but has stayed away from the Ring drink. Mayor Otis also has had both legs severed from the mill and sports around in a makeshift wheelchair. As such, he has loss much of his weight and is emaciated. He will befriend anyone who offers him food but his charm prevents him from harming his “wife” and the Mill’s plans.

Regarding the negotiations with Jalop.
Hmm. Yes. Well you see. We don’t…need the kind of ….trade we once did. Our toll is reasonable for merchants. After all, if they don’t like it, they can take the mountain pass. Yes the mountain pass will do.

About his wife.
My wife died from consumption two years ago. Oh, you mean Phillipa? Yes well, she is beautiful woman. And sharp as they come. Couldn’t manage without her.

About the ring
A fine brew. You should try it. I’ve cut back for…health reasons.

About the Mill
The mill is everything to this town. Without it we would suffer greatly…economically I mean. It is small price to pay for ones family…working in the mill.

Oscar Knowels?
Oscar, Yes I remember. Sad. He had an accident at the mill some time ago.

Witch in the Withering Forest
That’s just…local legend. Stories to frightened children.

Where are the Children?
Well, er, there was a… pox about a year ago. Most of them suffered greatly from it.

Mary Dwight or Mrs. Murdor both provide the same information

Where are the Children?
Don’t know what you mean? Your awfully nosey. Best to keep your business to yourself..

About the Mill
This town would go down in hells hand basket if were not for the Mill. Work keeps a man out of trouble too.

The Ring
The men work hard to raise their families. They deserve a drink now and then. You have problem with that? Y can go over and confess over by that hypocritical pastor and his church…you might catch him sober.

Pastor Tallen McCorm
Oh, he’s a bit of business that one. Caught having relations with two young girls he did. Whole congregation has left that hideous place. Serves him right., preaching about morals…should have had his trousers… who did you say you are?

Has Dexter been telling you that old story? I’ll box his ears!

Pastor Tallen McCorm
Even though he is old, in his youth Tallen did fight in wars when mustered for the crown. His old rusty chain mail, shield and mace are located in his private chamber. Given good incentive, he can provide the players with healing and other things that could help them defeat the creatures.

What happen to your Congregation?
Alas, the lord has seen that I be given a taste of my own sermon against sin. I was weak and I have paid the price. When the word got out, I found them no longer coming to the Lords house of worship. Tis just as well…

When this all happen?
I know not the day of our downfall… however, I remember the day we buried Tom Dwight and his Wife, Oscar Knowels confessed to me he had found something in the well he was digging. He was too afraid to speak to me at the funeral and asked to see me during another time. He never came and his whereabouts I know not.

Oscar Knowels?
A farmer. He lives a few miles up the road near the The Withering Forest. I have not heard anything from him for sometime.

There is no such thing. Who are you again?

There is great evil…
Evil is everywhere my friend. It takes but one transgression to find yourself swimming in the river of sin. Destine to burn a thousand brands of devil marks for your own lack of faith.

We need your help?
I can offer no help. God has deserted this church. I have looked for a sign to say otherwise. I have found none.

We really need your help!
Take these vials of blessed water. They do nothing for me now.

Anything about he Mill:
That accursed Mill! They turn their backs on me and rise up from the rest of the Sabbath to work in that abomination. There is no heavenly paradise for me, but for them, the internal damnation will devour them all.

About Phillpia
I know nothing of that whore. I speak not her name nor of her in this church.

Where are the Children?
I baptized every single child in this village, protecting it from evil. If Lord has forsaken me…

Men of Geoff Town
All of the men in Geoff Town are under the influence of the Ring, making them susceptible to the woman’s commands. A Mill worker charmed is not very responsive as he is still under the influence of the drug. A Charmed mill worker/guard will not fight for the PC’s. In most combat, the men simply grab a player and hold them. Due to their condition, most of the men feel no pain and have incredible strength.

Women of Geoff town
Under the influence of Yuggo the women have take into the role of subservient and worship of the Goddess. They won’t tale to the players at anytime and refer to their husbands. If PC’s continue to harass them they get the townsfolk angered. Use encounter 2 statistics.

wizarddog
01-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Encounter 1: The Stone Bridge Level 8 XP 1600
The guards stop any who approach the bridge and demand payment. Those who refused are turn back. The Guards have been charmed to be more aggressive than the town folk. Most are mercenaries.

(4) Human Guard Level 5 Soldier
Medium natural humanoid XP 200
Initiative +6 Senses Perception +7
HP 57; Bloodied 28
AC 20; Fortitude 18 Reflex 17, Will 16 Speed 5
Halberd (standard; at-will) Weapon Reach 2; +12 vs. AC; 1d10 + 4 damage, and the target is marked
until the end of the human guard’s next turn.
Powerful Strike (standard; recharge 4 or 5 ) Weapon Requires halberd; reach 2; +12 vs. AC; 1d10 + 8 damage, and the target is knocked prone.
Crossbow (standard; at-will) Weapon Ranged 15/30; +11 vs. AC; 1d8 + 3 damage.
Alignment Unaligned Languages Common
Skills Streetwise +7
Str 16 (+5) Dex 14 (+4) Wis 11 (+2) Con 15 (+4) Int 10 (+2) Cha 12 (+3)
Equipment chainmail, halberd, crossbow with 20 bolts

Located in the Tower are guards with Longbows. The men fire from their position with +5 to AC for cover. The men can also use stealth to hide themselves and come out with a sniper shot with combat advantage.
(4) Human Archers Level 5 Artillery
Medium natural humanoid XP 200
Initiative +8 Senses Perception +7
HP 57; Bloodied 28
AC 18(23); Fortitude 17 Reflex 17, Will 16 Speed 6
Short sword (standard; at-will) +12 vs. AC; 1d6 + 3 damage.
Longbow (standard; at-will ) Range 10 +12 vs AC 1d10+2
Twin Shot (standard; at will) Range 10 +12 vs AC 1d10 the archer may make two shots of the bow.
Alignment Unaligned Languages Common
Skills Streetwise +7 Stealth +10
Str 14 (+4) Dex 16 (+5) Wis 11 (+2) Con 15 (+3) Int 10 (+2) Cha 12 (+3)
Equipment Leather armor, short sword, Longbow with 40 arrows

Located in the tower is the Toll collections. Apparently, the town does not need the money as it has been stocked here for sometime. Treasure: 1692 gp, 75 sp, 50 cp

Encounter 2: The Boars Head or the Workshift XP 2250
PC will make a big mistake trying to attack the mob of workers. The Boar’s head has little in treasure as the use of coinage is now but non existent. Treasure: 42 copper coins.

(3) Worker mob(10 workers) Level 8 Brute XP 200
Large Natural Humanoid (swarm)
Initiative +3 Senses Perception +3
Fighting Aura: aura 1; the Men at Arms Unit makes a basic as a free action against each enemy that begins it’s turn in the aura
Hp 92; Bloodied 36
AC 20; Fortitude 20, Reflex 20 Will 20
Resist: half damage from melee and ranged attacks Vulnerable 5 against close and area attacks Speed 4
Fists (standard; at will) +10 vs AC damage 1d4+3 and the target is grab.
Alignment unaligned Languages Common
str 16 (+7) Dex 10 (+4) Wis 10 (+4) con 12 (+5) Int 10 (+4) cha 10 (+4)

Encounter 3: Guardians of the Mill Level 8 XP 1500
Should players assault the Mill Gates they meet the tower defenders.
The Guardians protect the Mill from sieges and attacks on its structure. Located in the towers they swoop down on attacks and throw their spines in retaliation.

(6) Spined Devil (Spinagon) Level 6 Skirmisher
Medium immortal humanoid (devil) XP 250
Initiative +7 Senses Perception +10; darkvision
HP 70; Bloodied 35
AC 20; Fortitude 18, Reflex 16, Will 16 Resist 20 fire
Speed 5, fly 7 (hover)
Claws (standard; at-will) +11 vs. AC; 2d6 + 4 damage.
Rain of Spines (standard; at-will) Fire, Poison The spined devil flings spines that ignite as they fl y through the air. Ranged 10; +9 vs. Reflex; 1d10 damage plus 1d6 fire damage, and the spined devil makes a secondary attack against the same target. Secondary Attack: +9 vs. Fortitude; the target takes ongoing 5 poison damage and is slowed (save ends both).
Alignment Evil Languages Supernal
Str 18 (+7) Dex 15 (+5) Wis 14 (+5) Con 14 (+5) Int 10 (+3) Cha 11 (+3)
Women of Geoff Town The woman of this town have transformed from humans into more sinister creatures.

Encounter 4: The Foreman Level 9 XP 1600
Located in this area is the main work area for the men and their foreman, a Kyton. Should the players infiltrate in here they see the men working on the treacherous cranks and gears while the Kyton and his lieutenants keep them in line. After about an hour a worker should sufferer from one of the gears being completely caught in the machinery. If PC’s try to help them, the Kyton orders all of the them to attack the players.

The Foreman
Chain Devil (Kyton) Level 8 Skirmisher (Leader)
Medium immortal humanoid (devil) XP 350
Initiative +12 Senses Perception +5; darkvision
HP 92; Bloodied 46
AC 23; Fortitude 20, Reflex 22, Will 17
Resist 20 fire Speed 7; see also dance of battle
Spiked Chain (standard; at-will) Reach 2; +13 vs. AC; 2d4 + 5 damage.
Double Attack (standard; at-will) The chain devil makes two spiked chain attacks.
Chains of Vengeance (free, when first bloodied; encounter) The chain devil makes two spiked chain attacks.
Hellish Chains (standard; at-will) +11vs. Reflex; the target is wrapped in chains and restrained (save ends). The chain devil can use its chains to restrain only one creature at a time.
Dance of Battle (minor; at-will) The chain devil shifts 1 square.
Dance of Defiance (immediate interrupt, when a melee attack is made against the chain devil; recharges after the chain devil uses chains of vengeance) The chain devil shifts 1 square.
Infernal Word (minor/2 encounter) close burst 5 a Forman’s ally may spend a healing surge +2d6 hit points.
Skills Intimidate +9
Str 19 (+7) Dex 24 (+10) Wis 15 (+5) Con 20 (+8) Int 14 (+5) Cha 13 (+4)

(2) Pain Devil Level 8 Soldier
Initiative +8 Senses Perception +12; darkvision
Aura of Torment aura 2; a creature without the devil keyword that starts its turn in the aura takes 2 damage.
HP 86; Bloodied 43
AC 24; Fortitude 21, Reflex 18, Will 19
Resist 10 fire Speed 5
Scourge (standard; at-will) Weapon Reach 2; +15 vs. AC; 2d8 + 5 damage, and the target is slowed
until the end of the pain devil’s next turn.
Wave of Pain (standard; recharge 5 or 6 ) Weapon Close burst 2; targets enemies; +13 vs. AC; 3d6 + 5 damage, and the target is slowed until the end of the pain devil’s next turn.
Sadism When the pain devil scores a critical hit or its attack renders an enemy bloodied, it gains a +2 bonus to attack rolls and saving throws until the end of its next turn.
Skills Insight +12, Intimidate +10
Str 20 (+9) Dex 15 (+6) Wis 17 (+7) Con 14 (+6) Int 14 (+6) Cha 12 (+5)
Equipment scourge

Worker mob (10 workers) Level 8 Brute XP 350
Fighting Aura: aura 1; the Men at Arms Unit makes a basic as a free action against each enemy that begins it’s turn in the aura
Hp 92; Bloodied 36
Resist: half damage from melee and ranged attacks Vulnerable 5 against close and area attacks Speed 4

Hazard Level 5: XP 200 Gear walls: gears and stone crushers +10 vs Reflex 2d6+2 damage and the target is immobilized until they save and move away from the wall. Those immobilized are attacked again each try they stay next to the walls.

Encounter 5 Hall of Pain Level 6 XP 500
Located across this area are the grinding gears and movements of machinery all along the hallway that leads to the area E6. Positioned in little coves are 10 workers who crank the machinery making the journey through this hallway dangerous. The terrain in this area is difficult and any who transverse in the zones are attacked by gears +10 vs Reflex 2d6+2 damage and the target is immobilized until they save and move away from the wall. Those immobilized are attacked again each try they stay next to the walls. The hallway attacks on initiative 1. If a target is rendered unconscious they are pulled into the gear systems and require a DC 24 strength check to pull out less they eventually will be grounded by the gears. The gears can be disabled again by same method, as below, allowing the body to be removed. Targets in the caught in the gears are helpless.

Zones of gears can be transverse with a full move with a successful DC 21 Acrobatics check. Failure and the target is stopped and attacked by the gears.

If a worker is disabled, Defenses 21 (protected by the gears) Hp 30 they stop all gears adjacent to them.

Gears themselves can be targeted at AC 28 Hp 30 and destroys one square of zone.

Players may also disable the gears with a successful thievery or strength check of DC 18. The disabling is temporary, lasting 1d6 turns.

Encounter 6: Tally Master Level 9 1650 XP
Set with the task of recording all of the workers, their lost limbs and the reserves of bonedust, Sortha the Tally Master keeps a log on all the business in the Mill. He also oversees the brewing of the Ring. Located in this area is a ladder that leads down into the chambers leading to the temple of Yuggo e

Sortha Imp Level 6 Elite Lurker
Tiny immortal humanoid (devil) XP 250
Initiative +10 Senses Perception +10; darkvision
HP 58; Bloodied 29
AC 20; Fortitude 18, Reflex 18, Will 18 Resist 15 fire
Speed 4, fly 6 (hover)
Bite (standard; at-will) +10vs. AC; 1d6 + 3 damage.
Tail Sting (standard; recharges when the imp uses vanish) Poison +11 vs. AC; 1d8 + 5 damage, and the imp makes a secondary attack against the same target. Secondary Attack: +8 vs. Fortitude; the target takes ongoing 5 poison damage and a –2 penalty to Will defense (save ends both).
Vanish (standard; at-will) Illusion The imp becomes invisible until the end of its next turn or until it
attacks.
Alignment Evil Languages Common, Supernal
Skills Arcana +11 Bluff +11, Stealth +11
Str 12 (+4) Dex 17 (+8) Wis 14 (+5) Con 16 (+6) Int 16 (+6) Cha 16 (+6)

Worker mob (10 workers) Level 8 Brute XP 350
Hp 92; Bloodied 36

(2) Spined Devil (Spinagon) Level 6 Skirmisher
Medium immortal humanoid (devil) XP 250
Initiative +7 Senses Perception +10; darkvision
HP 70; Bloodied 35
AC 20; Fortitude 18, Reflex 16, Will 16 Resist 20 fire
Speed 5, fly 7 (hover)
Claws (standard; at-will) +11 vs. AC; 2d6 + 4 damage.
Rain of Spines (standard; at-will) Fire, Poison The spined devil flings spines that ignite as they fl y through the air. Ranged 10; +9 vs. Reflex; 1d10 damage plus 1d6 fire damage, and the spined devil makes a secondary attack against the same target. Secondary Attack: +9 vs. Fortitude; the target takes ongoing 5 poison damage and is slowed (save ends both).
Str 18 (+7) Dex 15 (+5) Wis 14 (+5) Con 14 (+5) Int 10 (+3) Cha 11 (+3)

Pain Devil Level 8 Soldier
Aura of Torment aura 2; a creature without the devil keyword that starts its turn in the aura takes 2 damage.
HP 86; Bloodied 43
AC 24; Fortitude 21, Reflex 18, Will 19
Resist 10 fi re Speed 5
Scourge (standard; at-will) Weapon Reach 2; +15 vs. AC; 2d8 + 5 damage, and the target is slowed
until the end of the pain devil’s next turn.
Wave of Pain (standard; recharge 5 or 6 ) Weapon Close burst 2; targets enemies; +13 vs. AC; 3d6 + 5 damage, and the target is slowed until the end of the pain devil’s next turn.
Sadism When the pain devil scores a critical hit or its attack renders an enemy bloodied, it gains a +2 bonus to attack rolls and saving throws until the end of its next turn.
Skills Insight +12, Intimidate +10
Str 20 (+9) Dex 15 (+6) Wis 17 (+7) Con 14 (+6) Int 14 (+6) Cha 12 (+5)
Equipment scourge

Hazard Level 5: XP 200 Gear walls: gears and stone crushers +10 vs Reflex 2d6+2 damage and the target is immobilized until they save and move away from the wall. Those immobilized are attacked again each try they stay next to the walls.

Encounter 7 The Path is Blocked
This chamber is test for the servants of Yuggo. In the center is a raised urn with cabalas burning on other end. The urn is blood stained. Written on the urn is in supernatural: Offer thy self to Yuggo and spare none of the faithless.
On the walls show the servants of Yuggo scaraficing small animals and cuts in their arms to the God. It also shows scenes of others being destroyed by Yuggo by a cloud bellowing from her mouth. In each four corners are hideous statues of some squat warrior. A DC 18 Perception reveals the mouths apparently are deep funnels. They go to the poison gas traps that activate should they trigger. They can be disabled with a DC 26 thievery (they are hard to get to).
DC 24 Perception The doorway shows that a thick slab of stone is being held up.
DC 20 Arcane revels it is held by a magical force.
DC 25 Thievery can jam it so that if it is released it won’t fall. Players won’t know if it works until it is put to the test.
Those who step upon the plates will have three symbols appears on the west, north and east wall. They are the secret doors to those chambers. Only by offering blood does one gain access to the other chambers. To offers ones blood, they need to cut themselves and fill the urn taking 2d6 damage. Multiple players can donate blood up to the three rounds needed to open the chambers.

When one offers blood to the urn the symbol on the north wall turns red, if stopped, the door opens to artifacts of Yuggo chamber. If the blood continues to flow the symbol on the west wall then glows. If stopped it opens the west chamber E8. Only when blood flows continues does the East symbol glows does the East door open the correct passage to Yuggo‘s Altar E10 through E9. The door to E8 opens at the same time and the inhabitants of E8 will move to attack. Any who leave the pressure plates before submitting blood activates the gas traps. +10 vs Fortitude; Blast 3 2d6 +3 poison damage and 5 points continues each turn (save ends). The Gas traps continue for five rounds or until disabled. It rests for the next unfaithful.

Treasure Chamber:
The treasures of Yuggo, buried here by her worshipers still linger. Gold Necklace with 100 GP Gems Gold Bracelet with 500 GP Gems (1,500 GP); 1,100 GP (4) Peridot (100 GP); Jade (100 GP); Amber (100 GP); Pearl (200 GP); (2) Turquoise (100 GP); Garnet (200 GP); Amethyst (200 GP);
Bone Statuette (250 GP); Golden Goblet 250gp; Adder Grease Leather Armor +2 [level 8], Assassins Dagger +3 Critical: ongoing 7 poison (save ends). Power (Daily; Poison): Free Action. Use this power when you hit with this weapon. The target takes ongoing 10 poison damage and is slowed (save ends both). [level 13] Skelton Key Power (Daily): Standard Action. When you touch the key to a locked door, chest, gate, or other object, make a Thievery check with a +20 bonus against the DC required to open the lock. [Level 10], Belt of Blood Belt of Blood Property: Your healing surge value increases by your Constitution modifier while you are bloodied. [Level 10]

Encounter 8: The Cult of Yuggo XP 1400
This chamber holds the cultist meeting place.

(2) Female Cultist of Yuggo Level 8 Artillery
Medium natural humanoid XP 350
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +7; low-light vision
HP 74; Bloodied 32
AC 22; Fortitude 19 Reflex 20, Will 20 Resist 11 fire
Speed 6
Dagger (standard; at-will) Weapon +12 vs. AC (+13 against a bloodied target); 1d4 + 3 damage.
Balefire (standard; at-will) Fire Ranged 10; +11 vs. Reflex (+10 against a bloodied target); 1d8 + 6 fire damage, and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
Serpent Curse (standard; encounter) Illusion, Psychic Ranged 10; illusory snakes appear and attack the target; +11 vs. Will (+12 against a bloodied target); 1d6 + 6 psychic damage, and ongoing 5 psychic damage (save ends).
The Cultist of Yuggo gains a +1 power bonus to its next attack roll against an enemy that hit it since the Cultist of Yuggo ‘s last turn. If the attack hits and deals damage, the Cultist of Yuggo deals an extra 5 damage.
Alignment Any Languages Common
Skills Bluff +16, Insight +12, Stealth +16
Str 15 (+6) Dex 20 (+9) Wis 16 (+7) Con 18 (+9) Int 13 (+5) Cha 20 (+9)
Equipment dagger

Mary Dwight, Priestess of Yuggo
Level 8 Elite Controller (Leader) Medium natural humanoid XP 350
Initiative +5 Senses Perception +4; low-light vision
HP 86; Bloodied 43
AC 21; Fortitude 18, Reflex 19 Will 20; see also lead from the rear Speed 6;
Hexer Rod (standard; at-will) Weapon +10 vs. AC; 1d6 + 3 damage.
Blinding Hex (standard; at-will) Ranged 10; +12 vs. Fortitude; 2d6 + 2 damage, and the target is blinded (save ends).
Stinging Hex (standard; recharge 5 or 6) Ranged 10; +12 vs. Will; the target takes 3d6 + 2 damage if it
moves during its turn (save ends).
A Vexing Cloud (standard; sustain minor; encounter) Zone Area burst 3 within 10; automatic hit; all enemies within the zone take a –2 penalty to attack rolls. The zone grants concealment to the Priestess of Yuggo and its allies. The Priestess of Yuggo can sustain the zone as a minor action, moving it up to 5 squares.
Incite Bravery (immediate reaction, when an ally uses cultist tactics; at-will)
Range 10; the targeted ally can shift 2 more squares and make an attack.
Cultist Tactics (immediate reaction, when missed by a melee attack; at-will) The Priestess of Yuggo shifts 1 square.
Lead from the Rear (immediate interrupt, when targeted by a ranged attack; at-will)
The Priestess of Yuggo can change the attack’s target to an adjacent ally of its level or lower.
Blessing of Yuggo (minor; encounter x2) burst 5 range 10 Target may spend a healing surge.
Alignment Evil Languages Common, Supenatural
Skills Bluff +12 Insight +9 Stealth +12,
Str 10 (+3) Dex 15 (+6) Wis 13 (+4) Con 14 (+6) Int 9 (+2) Cha 18 (+7)
Equipment leather robes, hexer rod

(1) Bearded Devil (Barbazu) Level 8 Soldier
Beard Tendrils aura 1; enemies that begin their turns adjacent to the bearded devil take 5 damage.
HP 89; Bloodied 44; see also battle frenzy
AC 24; Fortitude 21, Reflex 17, Will 18 Resist 20 fire Speed 6
Glaive (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon Reach 2; +13 vs. AC; 2d4 + 3 damage, and the target is marked
until the end of the bearded devil’s next turn and takes ongoing 5 damage (save ends).
Claw (standard; at-will) +13 vs. AC; 1d6 + 3 damage.
Battle Frenzy While the bearded devil is bloodied, it gains a +2 bonus to attack rolls and deals an extra 5 damage with its melee attacks.
Devilish Teamwork Allies adjacent to the bearded devil gain a +2 bonus to AC.
Skills Intimidate +9
Str 20 (+9) Dex 15 (+6) Wis 16 (+7) Con 17 (+7) Int 10 (+4) Cha 11 (+4)
Equipment glaive

Encounter 9: Servants of the Underground Level 8 1400XP
The temple below is now has several Manes that appears to assist Phillipa in her tasks.
The children of the Village have suffered greatly from the evil of Yuggo. Their bones have been grounded and now they roam the underground as bone dust skeletons. Their souls however have yet to be acquired. Children are naturally protected by the Church when they were baptized. Since they are innocent, they could not be corrupted. However, Phillipa has managed to hoard them all in the area by magical wall wheer the suls moan and cry. If released they bestow their liberators with positive energy of restoring 2 healing surges to the players.

(3) Boneshard Child Skeleton Level 5 Brute
Small natural animate (undead) XP 200
Initiative +5 Senses Perception +4; darkvision
HP 77; Bloodied 38; Regeneration 5 does not regenerate from radiant damage; see also boneshard burst
AC 17; Fortitude 16, Reflex 16, Will 15
Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 necrotic; Vulnerable 5 radiant Speed 6
Boneshard (standard; at-will) Necrotic +9 vs. AC; 1d4 + 3 damage, and ongoing 5 necrotic damage (save
ends).
Boneshard Burst (when first bloodied and again when the boneshard skeleton is reduced to 0 hit points) ✦ Necrotic Close burst 3; +8 vs. Reflex; 2d6 + 3 necrotic damage.
Alignment Unaligned Languages —
Str 16 (+5) Dex 16 (+5) Wis 14 (+4) Con 17 (+5) Int 3 (–2) Cha 3 (–2)

Phillipia
Succubus Level 9 Elite Controller (Leader)
Medium immortal humanoid (devil, shapechanger) XP 800
Initiative +8 Senses Perception +8; darkvision
HP 180; Bloodied 90
AC 23; Fortitude 17, Reflex 21, Will 23 Resist 20 fire +2 saves,
Speed 6, fly 6 1 action point
Corrupting Touch (standard; at-will) +14 vs. AC; 1d6 + 6 damage.
Charming Kiss (standard; at-will) Charm +14 vs. AC; on a hit, the succubus makes a secondary attack
against the same target. Secondary Attack: +12 vs. Will; the target cannot attack the succubus, and if the target is adjacent to the succubus when the succubus is targeted by a melee or a ranged
attack, the target interposes itself and becomes the target of the attack instead. The effects last until the succubus or one of its allies attacks the target or until the succubus dies.
If the target is still under the effect of this power at the end of the encounter, the succubus can sustain the effect indefinitely by kissing the target once per day. The succubus can affect only one target at a time with its charming kiss.
Dominate (standard; at-will) ✦ Charm Ranged 5; +12 vs. Will; the target is dominated until the end of the succubus’s next turn.
Reanimation (standard; recharge 6) Phillipia raises a new small bones hard skeleton at 38 hit points. She may automatically recharge this power when bloodied and use it as an immediate action)
Change Shape (minor; at-will) ✦ Polymorph The succubus can alter its physical form to take on the
appearance of any Medium humanoid, including a unique individual (see Change Shape, page 280).
Alignment Evil Languages Common, Supernal
Skills Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Insight +13
Str 11 (+4) Dex 18 (+8) Wis 19 (+8) Con 10 (+4) Int 15 (+6) Cha 22 (+10)

Hazard: The wall of souls. Anything that touches the wall is attacked by +9 vs Fortitude 2d8 Radiant damage. If the wall is destroyed it does a burts 1 2d8 radiant damage and release the souls of the children. They automatically destroy the boneshard skeletons and Phillipa cannot summon more. PC’s also gain back 2 healing surges. If a player already ahs all of their healing surges then they gain 15 points of temporary hitpoints till the end of the encounter.

Encounter 10: The Altar of Yuggo Level 10 XP 2000
The power of Yuggo is expressed in the altar which imprisons her. The Stone circle allows her to project herself and blood allows her to use powers outside of it. If the four stones are destroyed, it imprisons her forever.

Aspect of Yuggo Level 10 Elite Soldier
Medium immortal humanoid XP 1000
Initiative +11 Senses Perception +8; low-light vision
HP 214; Bloodied 107; see also life drain
AC 26; Fortitude 26, Reflex 18, Will 24 Resist 10 necrotic Resist Poison 10
Speed 6 +2 saves 1 action point
Claw (standard; at-will) Necrotic +16 vs. AC; 1d8 + 2 necrotic damage, and the target is marked and cannot spend healing surges or regain hit points until the end of the Aspect of Yuggo next turn.
Poison Cloud Breath (minor; recharge 4,5,6) Close Blast 3 Poison +14 vs Fortitude 2d6+3 Poison and target suffers 5 points of poison damage each turn (save ends)
Dominate (minor; at-will) Charm Ranged 5; +14 vs. Will; the target is dominated until the end of
the Aspect of Yuggo’s next turn.
Change Shape (minor; at-will) Polymorph Aspect of Yuggoto appear as female of any Medium humanoid race
Blessing of Yuggo (immediate reaction; encounter when bloodied encounter) The Aspect of Yuggo regains 53 hit points and her poison cloud recharges.
Alignment Evil Languages Common, Elven, Supernatural
Skills Bluff +15, Insight +13, Intimidate +15, Nature +13
Str 25 (+12) Dex 18 (+9) Wis 17 (+8) Con 19 (+9) Int 16 (+8) Cha 20 (+10)

(4) Circle Power Stones Brute Level 5 XP200
Initiative +2 Defenses 17; Hp 60
Life Drain (standard; at will ) Healing, Necrotic range 10; +6 vs. Reflex; 1d8 + 1 necrotic damage and ongoing 5 necrotic damage (save ends). The Aspect of Yuggo heals 5 hit points.
If Stones a stone is reduced to 0 Hit points the aspect of Yuggo takes 3d6+5 damage.
A successful DC 22 arcane check and the stone can be stunned (save ends)

(4) Spirit guardian Level 5 Lurker
Medium shadow humanoid (undead) Minion XP 50
Initiative +10 Senses Perception +2; darkvision
HP 1; a miss never affects a minion
AC 16; Fortitude 13, Reflex 16, Will 14
Immune disease, poison; Resist 10 necrotic, insubstantial;
Vulnerable 5 radiant
Speed fly 6 (hover); phasing ; see also shadow glide
Shadow Touch (standard; at-will) ✦ Necrotic +8 vs. Reflex; 1d6 + 4 necrotic damage, and the target is weakened (save ends).
Combat Advantage ✦ Necrotic The Spirit guardian deals an extra 1d6 necrotic damage against any
target it has combat advantage against.
Shadow Glide (move; encounter) The Spirit guardian shifts 6 squares.
Spiritual Bond: A Spirit guardian reduced to 0 hitpoints will reform in 1 turn unless the circle stone it guards is destroyed. If a spirit stone is destroyed, the Spirtit guaradain is also destroyed.
Alignment Chaotic evil Languages Common
Skills Stealth +11
Str 4 (–1) Dex 18 (+6) Wis 10 (+2) Con 13 (+3) Int 6 (+0) Cha 15 (+4)

Encounter 11 Witch in the Withering Forest Level 12 XP 2300
Through the forest the PC’s entry to track down the elusive witch. They come upon a clearing in the forest and are greeted by her and her minions. Depending on their trek through the forest determines how the PC’s will be treated. 4 successes before 3 failures. Success, the witch is appeased by the PC’s respect for the forest and they encounter her as being non hostile. Failure and she is extremely hostile to the PC’s and makes talking to her very difficult.

History or Religion DC 8 Huntsmen traditionally to appease a spirit guardian would either provide a gift to the spirit or transverse their domain without leaving a disruptive trail. Failure: PC do not know how to appease a spirit guardian.

Nature DC 14 The appropriate Gift to give a Spirit Guardian would be something silver. Failure: PC don’t know the appropriate gift.

Perception DC 19: The path used is easy to navigate. All checks gain +2. Failure: PC’s stumble about.

Insight: PC’s realize they are being observed. Failure PC are completely oblivious to their obsevation -2 on all checks.

The PCs run through a thorny patch of plants. They have to carefully move through them. Endurance DC 8: Failure and a PC thrashes a bush. And loses 1 healing surge.

A brook runs across some 20 feet. The PC’s must transverse it by either jumping on the stones or using Athletics or Acrobatics DC 19 to cross. Wading through the water is an automatic failure.

PC’s arrive at the grove and are confronted by the dryad. She asks why they have come disturbing her realm. PC may make any bluff or diplomacy or insight check on meeting her DC 19. It simply determines how she reacts to the PC’s intentions. If they bluff her (and are successful) for their intentions she responds with that in mind.

Who are you?
I am the Guardian of the Forest. For generations, my kin have protect the old forests.

Are you the cause of the dying of crops?
No. The humans who live in the lands beyond my forest have stopped working their fields. My power does not extend beyond the forest.

What is going on?
A great unbalance has been released. A foul demon has been imprisoned in these lands for many eons. She is known as Yuggo, the she devil.

How do we stop her?
You do not look capable of slaying a God. Yuggo however was imprisoned on this world by Gods long ago. Her shackles have been weakened by the four power stones.

What are the power stone?
Created by her cultist, the stones augment her powers, allowing Yuggo to influence the world around her. They however require constant sacrifice of flesh and blood to maintain their power.

Will you help us?
I believe I just did. Begone.

Briar Witch Dryad Level 13 Elite Controller
Medium fey humanoid (plant) XP 1,600
Initiative +8 Senses Perception +13
Curse of Thorns aura 3; enemies without forest walk take 2 damage each time they move—or are pulled, pushed, or slid—into a square within the aura. Creatures do not take damage when a briar witch dryad moves closer to them.
Thorn Boon aura 6; allied plants in the aura deal an extra 5 damage with each melee attack.
HP 262; Bloodied 131
AC 29; Fortitude 27, Reflex 25, Will 27 Saving Throws +2 Speed 8 (forest walk)
Action Points 1
Claws (standard; at-will) +18 vs. AC; 1d8 + 3 damage.
Briar Cage (standard; at-will) Ranged 10; the target is encased in sharp briars; +16 vs. Reflex; 1d6 + 4 damage, and the target takes ongoing 5 damage and is restrained (save ends both). A creature in a briar cage has cover.
A briar cage can be destroyed (25 hit points; resist 10 to all damage).
Deceptive Veil (minor; at-will) ✦ Illusion The briar witch dryad can disguise itself to appear as any
Medium humanoid, usually a beautiful elf or eladrin. A successful Insight check (opposed by the dryad’s Bluff check) pierces the disguise.
Thorny Body Any creature that grabs the briar witch dryad takes 5 damage at the start of its turn.
Treestride (move; at-will) ✦ Teleportation The briar witch dryad can teleport 8 squares if it begins and ends
adjacent to a tree, a treant, or a plant of Large size or bigger.
Alignment Unaligned Languages Elven
Skills Bluff +15, Insight +13, Stealth +13
Str 16 (+9) Dex 14 (+8) Wis 14 (+8) Con 19 (+10) Int 11 (+6) Cha 19 (+10)

Vine Horror Spellfiend Level 7
Artillery Medium natural humanoid (plant) XP 300
Initiative +7 Senses Perception +10; blindsight 10
HP 65; Bloodied 32
AC 19; Fortitude 18, Refl ex 17, Will 15
Speed 6 (forest walk, swamp walk), swim 6
Claw (standard; at-will) +10 vs. AC; 1d8 + 4 damage.
Shock Orb (standard; at-will) ✦ Lightning Ranged 10; +12 vs. AC; 1d8 + 4 lightning damage.
Lashing Vine of Dread (standard; at-will) ✦ Fear Ranged 5; +10 vs. Refl ex; 1d6 + 4 damage, and the target is pushed 5 squares.
Caustic Cloud (standard; recharge 4 5, 6 ) ✦ Acid Area burst 1 within 10; +10 vs. Fortitude; 1d6 + 3 acid damage, and the target takes ongoing 5 acid damage and is blinded (save ends both).
Malleability The vine horror can compress its body enough to squeeze through a 1-inch-wide crack. Cracks and other openings that are more than 1 inch wide do not slow the vine horror at all.
Alignment Evil Languages Common, Elven
Skills Stealth +12
Str 18 (+7) Dex 18 (+7) Wis 14 (+5) Con 17 (+6) Int 11 (+3) Cha 10 (+3)

Shambling Mound Level 9 Brute
Large natural animate (plant) XP 400
Initiative +5 Senses Perception +4; darkvision
HP 120; Bloodied 60 Regeneration 5
AC 21; Fortitude 23, Reflex 18, Will 17 Immune lightning; see also lightning affinity Speed 4 (swamp walk)
Tendrils (standard; at-will) Reach 2; +12 vs. AC; 1d8 + 6 damage.
Enveloping Double Attack (standard; at-will) ✦ Healing The shambling mound makes two basic attacks. If both attacks hit the same Medium or smaller target, the shambling mound makes a secondary attack against the target. Secondary Attack: +12 vs. Fortitude; the target is pulled into the shambling mound’s
space and restrained (save ends). While the target is restrained, no creature has line of sight or line of eff ect to it. At the start of the shambling mound’s turn each round, the enveloped target takes 10 damage and the shambling mound regains 10 hit points. The shambling mound can envelop up to 2 creatures at a
time. When the target makes its save, it reappears in a square of its choice adjacent to the shambling mound.
Lightning Affinity (immediate reaction, when hit by a lightning attack; at-will) ✦ Healing The shambling mound regains 10 hit points.
Alignment Unaligned Languages —
Skills Stealth +10
Str 22 (+10) Dex 12 (+5) Wis 10 (+4) Con 20 (+9) Int 5 (+1) Cha 10 (+4)