PDA

View Full Version : Orcus "mini" to be released in 2010

emblasochist
01-06-2010, 12:05 PM
The Newsbot might have missed this, but I certainly did not. If you follow the D&D website, particularly the Ampersand articles from Bill Slavicsek, you might be aware that Orcus is to be released in 2010. The announcement came in the form of today's Ampersand (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/dramp/2010January). I'm not sure if anyone else cares here, but I very well might be getting one for my roleplaying escapades. My hope is that this is the signal that the Icons line is coming back, seeing as how this figure is also going to be a limited edition figure. It'll be nice if they finish off the chromatic dragons at least with the release of a gargantuan green, and maybe even a gargantuan red for those of us that either didn't buy Big Red (http://www.amazon.com/Colossal-Dragon-Dungeons-Dragons-Icons/dp/0786941685) when he was released, or those that, like me, want Big Red to be that much more extra special.

Farcaster
01-06-2010, 02:37 PM
I've seen this bad boy "in the plastic," as it were, when I was over at the Wizards offices. It is an impressive looking mini. When I asked the Wizards guys about why they hadn't released it, the skinny I got was that it was because the production costs were so high. As a result, they were looking at a $80 or more price tag for it. I wonder if they've negotiated a better rate. Personally, I'd go ahead and shell out the cash for one even at that price, and I suspect others would as well.

emblasochist
01-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah. The price, IMO, seems worth it. I mean I shelled out $120 on my colossal red dragon because I wasn't interested in the miniatures back in 2006 when he came out and I haven't used it in combat once. It has been sitting, or standing on my bookshelf, as it were, getting angry at my books as they got out of place. I am aware that Orcus is not as regularly useful as a gargantuan or even colossal red dragon could be, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't pay $80 for the figure. I would find it fun to get Orcus just around the late 20s for the party to have them guessing that they're going to fight the Demon Lord of the Undead, only to find the end of their adventuring careers ending when they defeat an elder dragon god, or permanently sealed away a major whole between the Far Realms and the mortal coil.

tesral
01-08-2010, 12:40 AM
I hope they have not cheapened it down to lower the price.

emblasochist
01-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Well, back when they first started talking about making an Orcus "mini", the decision was that it would be priced at $80, and I think I saw that it was again set for the same price, but I could just be convincing myself... If it is true though, that they are keeping the $80 price point, the quality cannot have gone down significantly, I would expect. My hope is that they don't miss numerous spots like someone did when painting the huge gold dragon... The damn thing's wings are green rather than yellow or gold... Its hideous.

brutology
01-10-2010, 12:38 AM
the red is pretty dang hard to kill in a miniatures battle. not sure if its possible at even points on a standard map. would depend on the dice.

emblasochist
01-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Yeah... I don't play the miniatures game, personally; it feels like a significant portion of the game has been sliced off to me. But the colossal would likely be really hard to kill, I could see that. Assuming you play it as an ancient red dragon in3/3.5/4, it would be killable, but even at level 30, taking it down would be a complete fight...

Otakar
01-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Personally I wish some NGS would purchase these and rent them out. I would happily put a $100 deposit and pay $10 for the weekend's rental. I wonder if it would be worth it to the NGS? I may be able to get away with a colossal dragon but I don't think my wife would appreciate Orcus sitting on the mantel waiting months on end to get in the game. :) He doesn't quite fit her decorating scheme.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
I'm currently out to sea and my connectivity is pretty bad but I thought I saw on DDI something about an upcoming adventure that included Orcus. I remember back in the late 70s or early 80s, TSR published a booklet with a bunch of mini-adventures or encounters. One of them was called something like "Wilchidar's Well". If I remember correctly the "well" was a prison for Orcus and the hapless adventurers coming upon the well inadvertently release him. Anyone remember that? Pretty old school, hungh?

emblasochist
01-10-2010, 05:18 PM
I didn't play back then, but I know there is an adventure published where the players are expected to KILL Orcus that was published sometime toward the end of the 2009; October maybe? Its called Prince of Undeath. I haven't yet bought it for lack of pertinence to my game, but if my players found interest in Orcus and the obliteration of undead, I would pick it up.

Grandore The Giant Killer
01-11-2010, 05:19 PM
What about Demogorgan? Any word on a mini for him?

tesral
01-11-2010, 10:09 PM
They're of two minds about that one.

Otakar
01-12-2010, 09:37 AM
They're of two minds about that one.

:tsk: You are a sick man, Tersal. I wish I would've thought of it first. ;)

emblasochist
01-12-2010, 07:49 PM
If they're about to make all the Demon Princes into "minis", I wanna ask where's the beef? Baphomet deserves the same love that Orcus gets...

Lex
01-25-2010, 10:13 AM
I wish i had kept the metallic version i use to have back in the day. Not to scale but still very cool!

tesral
01-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Any real news on this or are we still up in the air?

Farcaster
01-25-2010, 12:55 PM
None that I have heard. Perhaps we'll hear something in the next month or so. I'm anxious to pick this one up and add it too my collection as well. :) And can you imagine if this guy was in lead or pewter, he'd be bloody heavy as hell.

tesral
01-25-2010, 02:35 PM
As is anything huge or larger. Some people disdain plastic. It has it's place.

Farcaster
01-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Well, I've seen the prototype on this guy in person, and he looks awesome. The materials work fine too for the iconic dragons I have. I have no complaints whatsoever with them.

Freejack
01-25-2010, 03:07 PM
I have the older mini of Orcus and Demogorgon. Nothing of the new stuff though. :)

Carl

tesral
01-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Well, I've seen the prototype on this guy in person, and he looks awesome. The materials work fine too for the iconic dragons I have. I have no complaints whatsoever with them.

I've got all five Icon dragons, two of the red. Love the things.