PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a question about the Hero System?

Richard Littles
01-06-2010, 10:12 AM
If you have any questions about the Hero System 6th Edition feel free to ask me. I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

TAROT
01-06-2010, 01:15 PM
OK. So, apart from No Figured Characteristics, what are the changes?

Richard Littles
01-06-2010, 01:27 PM
OK. So, apart from No Figured Characteristics, what are the changes?

The removal of duplicate powers like the different types of damage removal. For example, they combined Force Fields and Armor into a single power called Resistant Defense. They lowered the amount of complications a character needs. They adjusted the costs of a lot of powers to make them more balanced. Points used for character creation has increased to compensate for the change in the points and the drop in complications required. They altered the names of some powers to make them sound less superheroic and more mundane. They cleaned up the perks and talents. The overall rules are more streamlined compared to prior editions.

TAROT
01-07-2010, 07:54 PM
The removal of duplicate powers like the different types of damage removal. For example, they combined Force Fields and Armor into a single power called Resistant Defense.

Hmm. The conversion of Regeneration into a complicated construct of the Healing power was one of the reasons I stuck with 4th over 5th.

They lowered the amount of complications a character needs.

I always saw them as an excuse to give the GM a heads up on how you intended to play the character. Fewer doesn't seem better to me. (I'm assuming complications equals disadvantages here.)

They adjusted the costs of a lot of powers to make them more balanced.

When I found the HERO system, I liked the idea of balance. When I used the HERO system, I realized that balance was entirely in the hands of the GM. In recent years, I am no longer certain that what most games mean when they talk about balance is particularly desirable.

Points used for character creation has increased to compensate for the change in the points and the drop in complications required. They altered the names of some powers to make them sound less superheroic and more mundane. They cleaned up the perks and talents. The overall rules are more streamlined compared to prior editions.

Anyhow. I'll stick with 4th edition. Thank you.

Richard Littles
01-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Hmm. The conversion of Regeneration into a complicated construct of the Healing power was one of the reasons I stuck with 4th over 5th.

They brought back Regeneration.

I always saw them as an excuse to give the GM a heads up on how you intended to play the character. Fewer doesn't seem better to me. (I'm assuming complications equals disadvantages here.)

In superheroic level games the disadvantages got to the point where you needed to make the character a cripple just to play. The lowering of the complications means that the essence of the character is still there, but they're not a cripple.

When I found the HERO system, I liked the idea of balance. When I used the HERO system, I realized that balance was entirely in the hands of the GM. In recent years, I am no longer certain that what most games mean when they talk about balance is particularly desirable.

Balance in Hero System is still the same. With the addition of the Rule of X rules it makes it easier. It's hard to tell you what all has changed in 6E because it's just so many changes.

Anyhow. I'll stick with 4th edition. Thank you.

4E is a fine edition as is any other edition. For me, as a designer, I find the new freedoms with the rules to be refreshing because I can get the characters I have in my head exactly how I want them in the game. I couldn't do that with any prior edition without having ridicules character points.

tesral
01-14-2010, 01:15 AM
I need to build powers from the ground up. Do they make it simpler?

Richard Littles
01-14-2010, 06:41 AM
I need to build powers from the ground up. Do they make it simpler?

You start with the basic you want then add in the options that are in the advantages and limitations category. With the sheer number of options and the example builds it's easy to understand how to make a power exactly the way you want it.