PDA

View Full Version : EVE Online...

HowwwwL
01-04-2010, 08:09 PM
I just reactivated my account on EVE online... Just curious if there are other Sci Fi lovers out there who play this game...
:)

Hoitash
01-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Drink your Pepsi!

I play Eve. If the above didn't make it clear, I'm a member of the Gallente Federation.

Blydden
01-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Is EVE Online good? Also, I think you should hear one critic's review of EVE Online.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/208-Eve-Online

Hoitash
01-09-2010, 08:05 PM
The comments from that review and that review make me feel that the bias represented there is unfair and as a result will not accurately represent the game or any MMO.

and I like Eve. And Star Wars Galaxies.

Blydden
01-09-2010, 08:09 PM
He hates nearly every single game. I just find him funny. But you didn't answer my question. Is EVE a good game?

Hoitash
01-09-2010, 10:44 PM
I wanted to wait to gather my thoughts. Ahem, (gets on soapbox.)

The definition of whether any game is good or not is not if its good, but if you like the game play and have fun. Eve offers:

Space ships and no walking on planets.
Blowing up stuff.
PVP up the wazoo.
No level system, but a rather detailed skill system.
Blowing up stuff.
You know what, check out there wiki at evelopedia.com, but the above is the basics. You basically play a demi-god with a cool ship and you blow stuff up, but you can do other stuff. Player politics is fun.

Oh, and you can commit various forms of business related fraud in game and its completely legit. character guilds are corporations, you see, with CEO's, and lots of cash and cool ships.

I hope that helped. Eve can be intimitading, but the basic tenets of don't fly what you cant afford, and do the newb tutorials, go a long way.

You can get a two week free tutorial if you want to check it out with no money involved.

(Puts soapbox back in cloet next to skeletons and sadly unused RPG books.)

brutology
01-09-2010, 11:41 PM
been playing for 5 years look me up in game (volcos) if you want a 20 day trial i can oblige.

Blydden
01-10-2010, 03:57 AM
I think I will pass for now. Thanks anyway though.

HowwwwL
01-10-2010, 08:57 AM
I have two accounts in Eve. I have a Gallente Pilot I am skilling up for PvP (specifically an Arazu) and a Caldari Miner.

I started playing in January 2009, and took a 7 month break this last year So really I've been playing for 4 months or so. My PvP pilot is hovering around 5 million SP, and my Miner around 2.5 Million SP.

I've played WoW, Warhammer Online, LOTRO, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Everquest 2, Tabula Rasa, and a few others. All of which I had the highest level toons running raids, or even running my own guild.

I have to say Eve Online is very unique in comparison to these other games, has longer lasting playing potential than all the rest (which all become repetitive when you hit the highest level). Because Eve does not use a character level system, and instead a 'skill level' system. The longer you play, the better you get at things. There are so many skills that you really decide how your character will play based on decisions you make as you go. You are always useful to a corporation even at lower levels, and really, I think joining a corporation is a MUST in order to experience most of what Eve has to offer...

Eve is very PVP-centric. Nearly everything you do, you need to consider pvp. Your corporation could be at war with another, and if you are a miner, you have to beware someone doesn't attack you and blow you up. As a fighter pilot, you can fleet up with your corp, go solo, or scout. I've seen video of 1000 person battles in 0.0 space. Eve is not for the weak of heart.

The learning curve for Eve Online is crazy in comparison to other MMOs. It takes years to really understand all of the things you can do in EvE, and be able to actually do them.

Eve online is a game, that I've found to be, in my opinion, the best Sci Fi MMO on the market right now, and has a long 8-10 year history. I would say it is one of the longest running MMOs on the market. And everyone plays on the same server unlike other MMos where you have to choose a server. Everyone gets put in the same pot. heh heh.

In any case, if other people want to contact me in EvE, my characters are Katsuro Michio, and StarKat MKVII. I find EvE to be lots of fun. Just got my first Jump Clone last night! Wahoo! My miner is currently working towards a HULK Mining Barge, and my Fighter is working towards a Cloakable Recon Ship... Lots of fun!