PDA

View Full Version : [Traveller] Cool

Freejack
01-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Over on rpg.net someone was selling their Classic Traveller books, asking for someone to make an offer. I went poking around to see what a reasonable offer might be and came up with about $300 for what he had listed.

Of course my wife would s**t a brick if I spent that much all at once (I can get away with $100 here and there but have a harder time with $300 all at once :) ).

While checking on prices, I stumbled upon Marc Miller's site and see that he's selling Classic Traveller on DVD for $35, the FASA and GDW books on DVD for $35 and the Journal books on DVD for $35.

See, that falls into the $100 price range _and_ I get pretty much all the books (not quite all but close enough). So I ordered them before Christmas.

Unfortunately my address was still pointing to my old one and it took a few extra days to get here but they're in my hands now.

Well, the Journal case is empty :(

I sent an e-mail to the site and Marc sent me an e-mail back apologizing and said he'd send out the CD Monday.

Cool, thanks.

So I popped in the FASA CD and browsed all the old books I remember from when I played. Next I grabbed the Traveller5 CD and popped it in to check it out.

Interesting.

Sort of an odd... wait, what's this?

Traveller5 CD. That's not what I ordered. Check the order to make sure I didn't screw it up (it's been known to happen). The case is the Classic Traveller look with the red line and all but it's certainly not Classic Traveller.

Send off another e-mail letting him know I'll be happy to send the cases back and I'd like the right one sent out as well please.

Got a quick reply (Marc's not busy today I guess :) ) that there's no need to send back the two cases and he'll send out the other one Monday as well.

Cool

Not sure what I'll do with the Traveller5 CD. I have the book already :)

Carl

michael
01-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Ahh the internet... And this is what put 95% of all FLGS out of business...

Freejack
01-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Ahh the internet... And this is what put 95% of all FLGS out of business...

Really? So at which FLGS could I pick up any Classic Traveller books? Which FLGS in my area even (Denver)?

I spend probably way too much money at my FLGS' with board games like Arkham Horror and Last Night on Earth from Stonebridge, Spycraft, Red Dwarf, Earth 2089, and Shadowrun from HobbyTown, Exhalted and books in general from the Barnes and Noble, Shadowrun, CthulhuTech, Savage Worlds, Pathfinder, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Call of Cthulhu, Z-Man B-Movie card games, and Wings of War from my favorite FLGS; Karlequin's, Mongoose Traveller, Arkham Horror, and Wings of War from Total Escape Games in Broomfield, Wings of War, Spanc, and Call of Cthulhu LCG from the guys in Boulder (forget the name), Shadowrun and Call of Cthulhu from Black and Read in Westminster, and of course, Call of Cthulhu and Paranoia from Bonnie Brae in Denver.

Except for Bonnie Brae and Black and Read, none of the other places has any used games and neither of those have Classic Traveller.

So where might you suggest I buy Classic Traveller? Second or third had from e-bay, Troll and Toad, Noble Knight, or someone over on rpg.net or brand new from the author?

Now just so you know, I buy all my new dead tree stuff from FLGS. My Shadowrun PDFs I get directly from Battlecorps.com site which puts the money directly into the developer's pockets.

How much have you put into your FLGS' hands recently?

Carl

TAROT
01-02-2010, 11:48 PM
My FLGS has the Far Future Enterprises reprints of the Classic Traveller books. (But I think that some are OOP now.)

Freejack
01-03-2010, 12:56 AM
My FLGS has the Far Future Enterprises reprints of the Classic Traveller books. (But I think that some are OOP now.)

That's cool. Marc Miller is FFE. Unfortunately I already have a small collection of Classic Traveller books (the original ones). So the collections would simply duplicate what I have. I'm not buying the books just to keep my FLGS' open but to complete my collections, from back when I couldn't afford them. Now I'm able to get the ones I missed out on.

I guess I could head up to Ontario. It's been a while. Do they have the original books? :)

Carl

TAROT
01-03-2010, 07:14 PM
They have a bunch of used stuff, but I've never looked through it for Traveller. I still have my LBBs. I don't think that there is much that is that old about. I did flip through the alien books when the reprints came out, but decided to pass.

Snuffy
01-04-2010, 08:56 AM
snip

Not sure what I'll do with the Traveller5 CD. I have the book already :)

Carl

Carl - I'm glad the person your dealing with is easy to work through the mistakes with. I've always found it very useful to have both the dead tree and the pdf version. I like to work out of books, not a computer screen, but love to use the pdf for quick look ups when I'm at work or traveling. Yes, I'm allowed lots of rope to hang myself with at work (I just get the work done). I think you'll enjoy having both versions.

-Mike

Freejack
01-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Weirdly, my preference is:

PDF for reading and studying
Dead tree for quick lookups during a game.

I find it easy for me to have the PDF up with a chargen program or vi for notes. Heck, I even read rules on my iPhone with goodreader. But I also find it a lot easier when I need to look something up to have the book. Searches on PDFs either are too broad so I get a bunch of entries or I can't spell it and never find it. On top of that, searches seem to take a lot of system resources so it can take a while and slow the box down.

For instance. I needed to find fashion designer in a recent missions PDF. I know it's towards the front of the mission but I didn't print it out. I searched on fashion designer and didn't find it. It's the name of a mook so it has to be in the module. When I searched for just fashion I found it. "Fashion" Designer.

The problem is that we, as humans search on patterns. So I would be able to find the word a bit quicker just by looking than using search.

Carl
Carl

michael
01-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Really? So at which FLGS could I pick up any Classic Traveller books? Which FLGS in my area even (Denver)?

I spend probably way too much money at my FLGS' with board games like Arkham Horror and Last Night on Earth from Stonebridge, Spycraft, Red Dwarf, Earth 2089, and Shadowrun from HobbyTown, Exhalted and books in general from the Barnes and Noble, Shadowrun, CthulhuTech, Savage Worlds, Pathfinder, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Call of Cthulhu, Z-Man B-Movie card games, and Wings of War from my favorite FLGS; Karlequin's, Mongoose Traveller, Arkham Horror, and Wings of War from Total Escape Games in Broomfield, Wings of War, Spanc, and Call of Cthulhu LCG from the guys in Boulder (forget the name), Shadowrun and Call of Cthulhu from Black and Read in Westminster, and of course, Call of Cthulhu and Paranoia from Bonnie Brae in Denver.

Except for Bonnie Brae and Black and Read, none of the other places has any used games and neither of those have Classic Traveller.

So where might you suggest I buy Classic Traveller? Second or third had from e-bay, Troll and Toad, Noble Knight, or someone over on rpg.net or brand new from the author?

Now just so you know, I buy all my new dead tree stuff from FLGS. My Shadowrun PDFs I get directly from Battlecorps.com site which puts the money directly into the developer's pockets.

How much have you put into your FLGS' hands recently?

Carl

It seems you are hearing me blame you for the loss of many of our beloved FLGS's. I was not.

I was lamenting the loss of the FLGS due to the inferior supply source of shady internet dealers who cannot fulfill an order correctly and often are totally unaccountable for their poor transactions from helpless gamers trying to buy from them.

The internet put many of our FLGS's out of business, not you.

In answer to your questions, in order...
1. I have no idea where you could pick up any classic Traveller books. If it were 1991 (before the internet killed the FLGS) I could tell you 4 places to get them in the Detroit area (Alcove Hobbys [Royal Oak], Ryders Games [Madison Heights and Westland?], Time Travelers [in Berkley]. Having never even set foot in Denver, I apologize, but I am unable to answer your query as to where you could get any Traveller books in that area. I wish I could help you on that one, but I cannot. And since almost all of my childhood haunts are gone, I would also be unable to help you even in Detroit...

2. I would suggest you buy Classic Traveller books from some shady internet dealer at Amazon. If they don't have it, then I would have to look here:

http://www.sjgames.com/general/outofprint.html#usa

They have a section of their website devoted to out of print dealer for Steve Jackson Games products. I know they are not the original publisher of the game, but it is my best suggestion - which you asked for.

3. I put a small fortune into the hands of Joel over at Sunshine Games on a very regular basis. His phone number is (305) 264-1250 and his address is:

7921 Bird Road
Miami, FL 33155-6747

Feels free to contact him and verify if you wish. Ask him how much Michael from the Monday night game spends in his store.
:mad: