PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Middle-earth

revolution 9
01-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I was thinking of writing some Middle-earth campaign setting info for Pathfinder. I wrote an incomplete one for Savage Worlds(which I prefer) but haven't had any players, been reading the Pathfinder book and playing it and felt like doing something similar(and non-extensive unless I actually get to run it). Is this something anyone would be interested in? I've already got most of the info in my head, just seeing if it'd be worth bothering to type up. Note for purists: I write Middle-earth stuff based on a middle ground. I try to keep the flavor of the world while feeling free to add details when necessary for flexibility. You can easily remove options or add more to increase or decrease your level of purism from exact(by the books) to MERP(by simply adding wacky stuff like all standard classes and spells, potions etc).

Dark
01-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Sounds very interesting any chance of lurkers allowed in the game?

revolution 9
01-02-2010, 11:06 AM
I guess.

harmor
01-02-2010, 11:13 AM
That would be alot of work AND would violate a host of copyright laws. Middle Earth is not OGL.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Sounds like a great idea, revolution 9. Fan-based material is great, too bad you can't make a buck off of your efforts due to copyright laws. If you do it, be sure to share it with others. I, for one, would love to see your work.

revolution 9
01-03-2010, 10:27 AM
It wouldn't be that much work. The classes just need to be tweaked, races are pretty easy to figure out, there aren't that many spells, monsters are a simple matter and the campaign info that I have is already typed up in my Savage Middle-earth books. As for copyright laws, I'm not selling anything. This is just for fun. As I've said, I am writing my own RPG but since I have no playtesters and got this beautiful Pathfinder book I thought this would be fun for me.

harmor
01-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Recently Nintendo stopped a group of fans making a Fan film that also wasn't trying to make any money.

Good luck. I look forward to see what you come up with.

Webhead
01-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Recently Nintendo stopped a group of fans making a Fan film that also wasn't trying to make any money.

Don't even get me started on this subject. After the moronic "Marvel attacks the Freedom Force fan community" debacle which subsequently seemed to justify the spilling over into City of Heroes, I have a great deal less patience and a great deal more hand-gestures for companies that try to behave in such a way. What part of the word "fan" do they not understand? Nonsense.

:brick:

harmor
01-04-2010, 12:00 AM
There really should be something under the law for "Fair Use"...but I'm not a lawyer.

If then send a "Cease and Desist" letter, what can be done???

revolution 9
01-04-2010, 08:02 AM
I've had LotR material on my website for years and nobody has said anything. I assure you, the Tolkien estate is not skimming forums and Geocities websites looking for fan materials. They're certainly not going to waste their time with letters over a website. As for Nintendo, they're notorious for being ridiculous about their properties, to the point of actually lying about the law in their own FAQ(regarding the legal use of ROMs).

cplmac
01-04-2010, 05:44 PM
If you make it just for use in your specific game group, it would probably be fine, since it wouldn't be published or posted on a site and not used to make any money from. I would however, recommend not posting it, especially on P&PG, since it would involve infringing on a copywrite.

Slipstream
03-30-2010, 03:22 PM
cp, I've been running that Middle-earth Cortex game since Oct on P&PG and no one's said anything. How is it different from what rev 9 is considering, besides the system?

cplmac
04-01-2010, 02:28 PM
cp, I've been running that Middle-earth Cortex game since Oct on P&PG and no one's said anything. How is it different from what rev 9 is considering, besides the system?

Slip,

Running a game is one thing. I am just saying that you don't want to be posting up information that is based on a game setting that was not originally made by yourself. It could possibly give the appearance of copywrite infringement. Don't want to see folks get in trouble for violating the P&PG rules dealing with copywrites.

Slipstream
04-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Slip,

Running a game is one thing. I am just saying that you don't want to be posting up information that is based on a game setting that was not originally made by yourself. It could possibly give the appearance of copywrite infringement. Don't want to see folks get in trouble for violating the P&PG rules dealing with copywrites.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification :)

MortonStromgal
04-05-2010, 11:15 PM
I gotta say it...

MERP is not true to Middle Earth, Endor, or whatever name you want to use. The fluff books were great and certainly "in the spirit of" but the rules were just rolemaster, you may as well use D&D. Deciphers LOTRs was closer in getting the rules to line up with the fluff but that system needed gobs more playtesting...

tesral
04-06-2010, 01:08 AM
And gobs less magic. If you are looking for the true Middle Earth look and feel the magic has to be dialed way down. I wouldn't even recommend D&D for the task. Look to skill based systems.

Slipstream
04-07-2010, 04:00 PM
And gobs less magic. If you are looking for the true Middle Earth look and feel the magic has to be dialed way down. I wouldn't even recommend D&D for the task. Look to skill based systems.
That's why for my game, in a roundabout way banned magic use. Here's a quote from my house rules:

No wizards. There are only five "wizards" in Middle-earth, including Saruman the White, Gandalf the Gray, and Radagast the Brown. None of these are you, nor are you even close. Magic is a very rare and seldom used and dangerous force in Middle-earth. The chances of us seeing it outside of the occasional enchanted weapon or armor are slim to none.

My players had no qualms. So depending on what Cubicle 7 does and I were to run it, I'll probably still stick to this. While I want to have an epic story within Middle-earth, I don't want to try and trump what happened during the Battle of Five-Armies or War of the Ring. Those stories took place with ours taking place on the fringes. Just like you'd imagine your adventuring crew in the Star Wars or Star Trek universe. Han Solo and Capt. Kirk are out there, you just seldom, if ever, cramp their space.

MortonStromgal
05-11-2010, 11:26 PM
The fan supplement Rangers of the North for Mouseguard might also be useful for ideas. There is also Hall of Fire? or something like that for Dechipher's game still out there. Its a fan magazine.

BIGKILLA
05-12-2010, 02:58 AM
Has anyone looked into the RPG Midnight, its out of print now but you can still get PDF's or find the stuff on ebay. Its based on LOTR, the concept is what would the world be like if Sauron won the war of the rings. Its a very dark world kind of low magic with races based on LOTR.

here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_(role-playing_game) is the wikipdia page

MortonStromgal
05-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Has anyone looked into the RPG Midnight, its out of print now but you can still get PDF's or find the stuff on ebay. Its based on LOTR, the concept is what would the world be like if Sauron won the war of the rings. Its a very dark world kind of low magic with races based on LOTR.

here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_(role-playing_game) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_%28role-playing_game%29) is the wikipdia page

No offense but I really hate the comparison to Midnight and Middle Earth. They are soo far apart (probably with good reason, like not getting sued). Midnight is D&D... Its got as much comparison to Middle Earth as Dragon Lance. If all you want from your Middle Earth game is an overlord and lower magic then Midnight could fit the bill but so could Iron Heros using the City State of the Invincible Overlord as a setting. This comming from someone who doesn't mind MERPS or Dechiper's take on Middle Earth (as tesral pointed out they need work to be true to the source as well) I can only imagine what people who wont play MERPS (due to human magic users and such) would say about Midnight.

[edit] oh and to nit-pick on the Middle Earth races in Midnight... If that were the case picking Elf would be like EL 6 or something. And Gnomes? really? I dont recall any gnomes unless Das Rine Gold now counts as Middle Earth. Races = D&D

Cubical 7 is working on a new Middle Earth RPG but only time will tell how close to Tolkien it will be

Slipstream
05-13-2010, 12:35 PM
The fan supplement Rangers of the North for Mouseguard might also be useful for ideas. There is also Hall of Fire? or something like that for Dechipher's game still out there. Its a fan magazine.
Yep, HOF still lives and they still produce a monthly magazine. Those of us in the community boards have been talking about the Cubicle 7 release and how that could effect the future issues.