PDA

View Full Version : Was 2009 a good year for you, and why?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Was 2009 a good year for you, and why?

Did you accomplish your goals, your resolutions for 2009?

What good, and bad, life-affecting events stand out in your mind for 2009?

Okay, what ramble you?

yukonhorror
12-30-2009, 01:07 PM
good/bad/ugly/beautiful

Defended my thesis, and got a baby on the way, but other not so good stuff happened

Otakar
12-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Good year! I'll keep it in context of the boards.
Got a great 4E game group together with 3 super-solid players. We're taking a break while I'm away on business but we'll get back together next year. Found P&P Game Board to visit, post, comment and get clarification on rules. Learned a lot about 4E. Got a nice set of minis and a battle mat. Purchased some good 4E tomes. Over-all I'm pretty happy!

cplmac
12-30-2009, 07:55 PM
On a great note, got to see my "Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth" game come to the end of the module and am working on making a continuation for the players to be able to keep using thier characters.

On the bad side, We are down to one vehicle due to our Nitro slid on ice that was hidden under 4+ inches of snow and clipped a tree & ended up with a broken axle as well as some other parts.

Webhead
12-30-2009, 08:06 PM
A bit of both as usual.

Had two beautiful, healthy baby boys. Due to pregnancy/babies, my wife lost her job and we have been squeeking by on a single income. Squirrels invaded the attic but we seem to be effectively driving them out. Started a new gaming group and played a few cool games that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten to. Looking forward to seeing that group solidify and turn into something fun. Finally picked up an X-Box early this year and got to play several very awesome games for it (Batman: Arkham Asylum being perhaps one of the most awesome video games I've ever played). Quit WoW after a year of play, realizing that my time and money were best spent elsewhere. Haven't regretted the decision yet.

Many other ups and downs but overall, I still feel happy and fortunate to be who I am and where I am in life. Sure, we could use more money to take care of various abandoned projects and expenses (who couldn't) but me and my family are healthy and full of love. That's what counts.

traesin
12-31-2009, 02:37 AM
Better than 08 but still not great.

The upside: I started school. It's been rough but I'm still plugging at it. Bought a car. No more walking!!!!! Got into a gaming group and met new people. Having fun there.

The down side: Still dealing with a LOT of the D.V. crap from 08. That was a big chunk of the bad stuff. had a bad holiday season too.

Richard Littles
12-31-2009, 04:42 AM
2009 was a tremendous year for myself. I signed a publishing deal to publish my first role playing game book. I got my book almost finished for editing. I ran into my high school sweetheart after 22 years and fell in love with her all over again. We're going to be getting together soon with her coming to visit me for a week or two. Overall, my year has been really good and I'm excited for what 2010 holds. What I do know what will happen in 2010 is my book will be published sometime in the summer and spending time with my high school sweetheart. :D I simply cannot ask for a better year.

Freejack
12-31-2009, 08:33 AM
Pretty good mostly.

Got tapped by Catalyst Game Labs to be a proofreader (and have my name in 4 books) at the start of the year. Got a talking to at work for posting company information in a 'blog. Moved into a new place where I have room for all my stuff (no boxes). Found out Hollow Earth Expedition isn't Hollow World (the D&D game); pretty fun game actually. Had a lovely rain drenched motorcycle ride with a broken lever causing me to be stuck for two days in North Dakota before going to GenCon (so it wasn't all bad). Helped to implement the first ever Text 2 911 service. Got a talking to at work and at home for spending too much time on the 'net (cut down my forum browsing but increased my time programming so it was a good thing). Ran a successful All Flesh Must Be Eaten game.

And made it to the end of the year :)

Carl

Skunkape
12-31-2009, 09:09 AM
Bout 50/50 good/bad for me. But family and I still have our health, though my son will be recovering for a long time from his motorcycle accident.

Hopefully he'll never have to work again after the insurance settlement. That's the majority of the bad part of the year, all of which happened toward the second half of the year, kinda weird to me that all of the bad happened in the second half.

yukonhorror
12-31-2009, 09:38 AM
gaming wise same:

Found this AWESOME site to network and hook up with other players (www.penandpapergames.com (http://www.penandpapergames.com)) :D

I play in a fun (but slow) pbp game on this site that is very intriguing.

Unfortunately, I have tried at least 5 (if not more) times to either join or start my own game, but attendance/personal issues (not my own, other players/DMs) keep messing things up. I wish I could find 5 steady people to have a weekly online 4e game.

kkriegg
01-04-2010, 01:53 AM
I lost two jobs, and two campaigns I was in ended suddenly.

Other than that, I can't complain.

Lorena_F_Palin
01-07-2010, 12:28 PM
09=insane.

Long story short I went from being a high school senior who everyone though would have to repeat a year/go to community college/work a crap job at 7-11 to getting into every school I apllied to including 2 of the best art schools in the USA, one of which I am attending. I had the best senioritis experience ever, complete workaholic but routinely was an ***hole to the teacherss I thought were full of it, randomly left class for cigarette breaks, thought my fellow chem students how to make thermite, got my math teacher who was teaching trig (which I already knew) to discuss quauntum physics almost every class, used the art teachers lust for young men (like myself) to get to store all my stuff in the workroom, etc... but still got all A's and B's and was the only person in the chemistry class to actually get the material; all of which allowed me to do that. Then summer, visited the south, fell in love with the trailer parks and laid-back country lifestyle, only to come back to Boston and end up working my ass off at Massart, hated it at first, but then actually got to the point where I *Like* staying up for 60 hours strait sculpting wet cardboard, broken glass, and chicken wire into sculptures of c-sections, got tentatively offered a job building robots (minimum wage, but sure as hell beats Starbucks), and then winter break and the prospect of somehow getting back into that routine of hunger and sleep deprevation.

So a mixed bag, but at least it wasn't dull.

kkriegg
01-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Hate to break it to you, but going to art college and working at 7-11 for the rest of your life arn't mutually exclusive.

Just kidding. Good luck!

Malruhn
01-10-2010, 12:33 PM
2009 was GREAT!

I was promoted to Master Chief, and that trumps everything that might be considered to be "bad".

The only thing that still bothers me is lack of gaming folks with which to rattle the gaming dice. I WANNA PLAY!

cplmac
01-11-2010, 04:19 PM
2009 was GREAT!

I was promoted to Master Chief, and that trumps everything that might be considered to be "bad".

The only thing that still bothers me is lack of gaming folks with which to rattle the gaming dice. I WANNA PLAY!

Well then, let me say congrats on making Master Chief!

As for finding gaming folks, are you stationed on a ship or land?

Malruhn
01-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Oh, land!! I chose my career field well!!

And thank you for the congrats as well. It took a long time. Had I remained in the Army, I would have already been retired, but I would have only been an E-7.

cplmac
01-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Malruhn,

Sometimes when people are saying about having a hard time finding players, I will point them in the direction of a local military base and tell them to check with the Morale, Welfare, & Recreation department. You could always give a look there. Of course, it would probably give them a scare, but you could always give a look at the barracks common room to see if anyone there would be interested, and may not have any idea as to where to find a game on or near base. That way if you can get a game going, it would be a good start to the current year.

Barry
01-13-2010, 06:31 PM
In school perhaps, my grades were bad but in the end I got more then good grades.

In soccer season we finished 5th but were in 2nd place till they end. Sucks.