PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have experience with the 'Ranger' yet?

Everett
12-24-2009, 03:12 AM
Hi guys,

I'm an experienced European player who started wit 2nd ed and I'm enjoying 3.5ed for many years now. I always liked the Ranger, but he always seemed to be lacking somewhat. Is the PF ranger keeping up?

I've been playing cross-theme classes like Monks and Paladins, and from what i can see, they did a good job 'refurbishing' these classes. But I'm not so sure about the Ranger.

Does anyone have some experince with this class yet?

harmor
12-24-2009, 06:30 AM
Here is its description from the PRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/basic-classes/ranger).

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/4408/harsk.jpg

I haven't played a full Ranger yet, but I can give you an update about Track. Track is no longer a feat.

You use the Survival skill like normal, except that you use Perception (a new skill that combines Spot, Search, and Listen), to first fine the track (anyone can find a track). THEN you use Survival skill to track it.

Rangers, as they level, get an additional bonus to the Survival skill (1/2 his level (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/basic-classes/ranger#TOC-Track-Ex-)).

They also buffed up Ranger hit points to 1d10 from 1d8.

wizarddog
12-24-2009, 11:30 AM
I played a ranger briely in Pathfinder, transforming my Ranger/scout to full ranger. So I spent most of my build simulating my scout abilities: fleet of foot, shot on the run, improved vital shot etc. I didn't play long because it kind of changed the PC's abilities so much I just started a new PC.

I can't give you a great review of the class, though it had some nifty powers for 11th level AND you get more feats early for your build. My most hilarious moment in the game was when we all ended underwater and I had a snow ball in hell chance of hitting with my bow and had no way of swimming fast enough. So I used my quarry ability on a creature that was a favored enemy with improved vital shot. Basically if I rolled a 20, it would confirm the critical and I also applied my vital shot damage and favored damage. So I hardly hit, but when I did, it was for a lot of damage. I hit him twice the whole combat--including the final hit to take it out ;)

Everett
12-25-2009, 08:46 AM
thanks guys!

someone has a more indepth experience with this class?

Dr Berry
12-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Yes, I have peen playing a PF ranger for several months now, and they are beasts now. With the extra skill point for favored class and the new rules for "cross-class" skills (or lack thereof), my ranger is as versatile as our party's rogue when it comes to skills.

I also really enjoy the favored terrain ability, which definitely adds flavor and personalizes the character. I haven't reached the higher levels that give you the quarry ability, but it looks awesome!

As far as keeping up in a fight, I think the PF ranger is right up there. I play an archer ranger, and when you add up all the bonuses from feats, favored enemies, and such, he can do damage comparable to our party's fighter.

However, I have had one consistent problem with my character's archery. With so many different bonuses under different circumstances, it has never been harder to shoot an arrow. I have to check whether Point Blank Shot applies, figure out Rapid Shot, add Favored Enemy, then apply bonuses and penalties from Deadly Aim each round. That's without range penalties and buff spells. It gets easy if conditions stay the same, but you never roll straight up attack and damage.

So, final word, Rangers are back. I have really enjoyed this character so far, and even though it is the only PF character I have played so far, he seems well-balanced with the rest of the party.

Everett
12-31-2009, 06:10 AM
Yes, I have peen playing a PF ranger for several months now, and they are beasts now. With the extra skill point for favored class and the new rules for "cross-class" skills (or lack thereof), my ranger is as versatile as our party's rogue when it comes to skills.

I also really enjoy the favored terrain ability, which definitely adds flavor and personalizes the character. I haven't reached the higher levels that give you the quarry ability, but it looks awesome!

As far as keeping up in a fight, I think the PF ranger is right up there. I play an archer ranger, and when you add up all the bonuses from feats, favored enemies, and such, he can do damage comparable to our party's fighter.

However, I have had one consistent problem with my character's archery. With so many different bonuses under different circumstances, it has never been harder to shoot an arrow. I have to check whether Point Blank Shot applies, figure out Rapid Shot, add Favored Enemy, then apply bonuses and penalties from Deadly Aim each round. That's without range penalties and buff spells. It gets easy if conditions stay the same, but you never roll straight up attack and damage.

So, final word, Rangers are back. I have really enjoyed this character so far, and even though it is the only PF character I have played so far, he seems well-balanced with the rest of the party.
thanks Dr. !

how do you deal with ranged attack in combat; as in .... can you keep up the ranged attacks when opponents start coming close for melee. The AoO's will be horrible (yup, I've never played a ranged character, besides casters, before)

Dr Berry
12-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Yes, they are pretty nasty, but usually a five-foot step takes care of it. However, I took the Acrobatics skill, so if the enemy has reach (or that nasty new "Step Up" feat), then I can just tumble out of the way.

Usually, I just find a high perch that can snipe from. Otherwise, your melee buddies usually do a pretty good job of keeping the bad guys at a distance.