PDA

View Full Version : Anyone musically inclined?

Equinox
12-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Hello one and all! Is anyone else here musically inclined? I play guitar, bass keyboards, and harmonica. I'm also great at playing dumb when my girlfriend asks me where I got that new guitar at. XD I own a Schecter Ultracure Widebody, A Samick CD-2, and an acoustic 1975 Epiphone that I found in a closet and fixed up, now it plays like new. Amp wise, I have a Behringer 40 watt dual-channel voice and instrument amp, and small Behringer 15 watt practice amp, also dual channel. So if anyone else makes music in their spare time, post up your gear and what-not here.

Sascha
12-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Epiphone Les Paul Junior, with a dinky little practice amp and Line6's Guitar Port. Roommate's got an acoustic guitar that I play more than she does.

Used to play the saxophone back in middle school, but was never serious about it, heh. But my namesake was a blues rock guitarist, so it's only fitting I'd have switched to guitar. (Plus with the 80s long over, rock just doesn't feature woodwinds like it used to :P)

Equinox
12-23-2009, 12:06 AM
xD Woodwinds. Well, I love a classic American made guitar, (Les Paul OMG) in my opinion they are constructed much better than most imports today, except maybe for some higher-end imports. The local music shop just got in an American Fender Strat and two Mexi-Strats, and I played them the other day. Classic tone, thick and sweet low end with a bright, crystalline high end. My Schecter is a wonderfully made guitar, though I'm not crazy about the huge, heavy body it has, though tone-wise I can't ask for more. Samick makes a great little mid-range mid price guitar, and the CD-2 model I have rocks for the price I paid. Have you ever heard of Blueridge or Crafter guitars? They make some amazing acoustic guitars!

trechriron
12-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Home Studio Music Gear;

MOTU 828 Mk III + ADAT linked MOTU 8pre- firewire into the computer (sound cards).
3 pairs (one sits out) M-Audio BX5a speakers with a BX10s sub in 5.1 surround configuration (includes 4 floor standing monitor stands).
GXL2200 Condenser Microphone
M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
Korg Nano Kontrol

Computer;

Board: EVGA 132-CK-NF79 2
Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
2.85 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9550
8190 Megabytes Installed Memory
1300.28 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT [Display adapter] (2x)
HSD Hanns.G HG281 [Monitor] 27.4"vis
HSD Hanns.G HG281 [Monitor] 27.4"vis
Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 2 (build 6002)

Software;

Image-Line - FL Studio 9 (best easiest to use over all!)
Cakewalk Music Software - Dimension Pro
Cakewalk Music Software - Project5 Version 2.5.1
Cakewalk Music Software - Rapture
Cakewalk Music Software - Sonar Producer 8.5
Propellerhead Software AB - Reason 4.0.1 Version 4.0.1

Pictures (http://www.flickr.com/photos/trechriron/sets/72157616728253018/)

The sad part is I haven't done much with it yet. I have things tuned up now, and a 4 day weekend that looks to have some music creation in store... :D

Equinox
12-23-2009, 01:25 AM
0_o Epic equipment list! My mixer recently bit the dust, it was a BOSS 8 track, 32 V-Track, I can't remember the model number and what not, but it did OK until it died on me. I have a digital USB to computer interface I was using to directly grab my music after I was done recording, and then I ran it through Audacity and FL 8 for clean-up and mix down. My laptop has 80 GB internal HDD, 250 GB external HDD, 2.0 GHz Centrino Duo processor and really that's all I've been using to record and produce my own music. The good friend I've been playing music with doesn't own a computer right now so I've been doing all the editing and mixing, which has actually taught me a good deal about music production and software/hardware, etc. Unfortunately I can't afford what we really want, which is a huge computer controlled mixer with built in FX and such. Maybe when we make a ton of money? Lol!

Freejack
12-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Played trumpet in Jr and Sr High School. Made first chair. That and Chess Club were my two favorites. When we moved again (to Maryland), I devoted myself mainly to Architectural Drafting and Mechanical Drawing.

I do have a Mexican Telecaster and practice amp but never seem t have to time to practice regularly.

Carl

Equinox
12-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Cool, I also played trumpet in high school, but I wasn't really good at it, I think I was maybe third chair at best. Yea, practice time is essential if you want to get better at music, at least I've found what works for me is around two or three-hour long practice sessions with the guy I play with, which gives us time to warm up, play a few songs, and then really get "in the groove" with what we are doing. We have played literally all night before, going for eight to ten hours straight, only stopping for bathroom and smoke breaks, but that was when we were doing a lot of recording and such. Now that we're out of a mixer we practice around two to three hours a day usually, sometimes more.

kkriegg
12-23-2009, 07:31 PM
I made a ukulele once.

cplmac
12-23-2009, 09:23 PM
I have been a percussionist for over 30 years. Attended 3 Honors Orchestra for Western PA in high school. Voted into Who's Who of Music in 1984 as a lifetime member. Percussionist in the Marine Bands at Quantico and Camp Lejeune (1985 - 1991). Currently, Senior Percussionist for the Premier Choir at my church.

Basically, if it is a percussion instrument, I can play it.

Also able to play piano and sing either tenor or bass with above mentioned Premier Choir.

tesral
12-25-2009, 02:41 AM
I've been called that. I've studied violin and a little piano. I play with guitar, recorder, and people don't run when I sing. I can get musical noise out of nearly any instrument.

Equinox
12-25-2009, 03:42 AM
Musical noise for the win ^_^ Hey, if it sounds good, go for it!

kkriegg
12-25-2009, 10:03 AM
I've studied violin and a little piano.

Why, were they all out of regular sized pianos?

tesral
12-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Why, were they all out of regular sized pianos?

The whole decade. I now understand how Schroeder does it.

cplmac
12-25-2009, 01:58 PM
The whole decade. I now understand how Schroeder does it.

Do you have a pet beagle that dances while you play?

tesral
12-25-2009, 07:47 PM
That's the round headed kid down the street.

Equinox
12-30-2009, 02:49 AM
Charlie Brown FTW. I love the sounds of a good pianist, I can only half play a keyboard, with more practice maybe I won't sound quite as bad as I do now. I find guitar easier to play, maybe it's because I can hold it in my hands and really feel it.

tesral
12-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Guitar is a nice instrument. I don';t have much feel for the keyboard either. I play at it. It's a useful tool. And I have two. An old Yamaha from the 80s and a Hammond reed organ in the attic.

The organ was a favorite of my Wife's maternal Grandfather. He played well apparently. When her cousin sold the house next door we got the organ, he didn't want to move it. It could use servicing. Some of the reeds don't play well.

Equinox
12-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Hammond organs are awesome, I've only seen a few older ones arouind. I believe an experienced piano repair shop might take on the repair job on that Hammond, I'm not sure though, I don't know much about that stuff. Still, it's awesome you have a small piece of history like that in your family, and old Hammonds are hard to find.

cplmac
12-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Tesral, when you say that it is a reed organ, does that mean that it has pipes that are made out of reed that air is sent through to produce the particular tone?

tesral
12-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Tesral, when you say that it is a reed organ, does that mean that it has pipes that are made out of reed that air is sent through to produce the particular tone?

There are reed organs and pipe organs. Reed organs are small, they will fit in the average house. The organ forces air through tuned reeds that make the pitch. It's a big well made harmonica basically. An accordion is a small portable reed organ that the user manually pumps air through.

Pipe organs use pipes with fixed reeds, the hole with the bevel you see on them. Different sized pipes produce different sounds as do different materials and so forth. A large organ have have 3000 or more pipes. The stops change the pipe bank the keyboard plays.

cplmac
12-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Tesral, is it possible that some of the reed pipes may be drying out and have developed some cracks in them, causing it to not be in tune?

tesral
12-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Tesral, is it possible that some of the reed pipes may be drying out and have developed some cracks in them, causing it to not be in tune?

The reeds are usually metal in a reed organ, but it is possible that seals have dried out allowing air leaks around them, or they have worked loose with time causing them to buzz. It needs the loving attention of a professional, not me second guessing.

In the long run it isn't going anywhere. Something to get to by the by. I have many more important issues in the house than the organ.

Malruhn
01-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I've been playing trumpet for almost 40 years now...

I just left Alabama where I played keyboards, guitar and trumpet (and sang some) in a local band. I can play at least scales out of almost everything else, even good enough to fool people into thinking that I can actually PLAY those instruments!! I have a Casio electronic keyboard, an Ibenez AEG10E electric acoustic guitar, a pocket trumpet and a flute. Now all I need is a couple of people that want someone to round out a group!

The one that is kicking my butt is the harmonica.

Barry
01-13-2010, 05:35 PM
I play the guitar, the acoustic that is. Wonderful instrument, the best style is experimental just try to invent new ways to create sound. Just amazing.