PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Chapter Four



wizarddog
12-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Dark City: The Guild War
Chapter Four
Blades of Vengeance


With the waken of the new day the thieves rise and take stock of their situation. Somewhere they are in the caves of the smugglers, who through stolen information from the Guild, have some plot they have yet to understand. In addition, they have found a strong ally, Barnabas, who may hold the key to getting out of their predicament.

The fire, nearly dying, is replenished with fuel and food from the kitchen stores is passed out again. The thieves feel more confident that they can handle just about anything but their escape is still unsure.

Bearfoot_Adam
12-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Barnabas stretches, his muscles are stiff and unforgiving from the previous nights fight and near freezing to death. Still badly bruised he dons his armor and weapons after breaking his fast. "Lets not stay here much longer, they may find that cave sooner or later."

Borodeva
12-23-2009, 03:10 AM
[Madoka puts on the MW studded leather from the sniper, adjusting the straps as necessary. (No armor check penalty, current AC = 16) Everyone else has proper armor or needs none. She then casts Comprehend Languages and reads the summoning journal before leaving the camp. What can I make out from the journal now that I can understand it?]

"I'll be ready to go in a minute..."

wizarddog
12-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Madoka recognizes the language as Aquan. It appears to be a journal of Sephia Gheonan. It's writing is quite cryptic and incomprehensible at times. The first part starts with:

"So be known that this is but my third book on matters of dark and light; forward in time and back on the angelic wings of cloister. Through settling dreams I came upon the chalice; tis not the same that was broken in the Halls of Zephyr, but one still intact and ever flowing. It spoke the same words, only clearer and whispered the second secret, revealed to me by its devilish giggle. I knew then I was close to the answer that has gnawed at my brain for ten years; the lighted worm that pricks my every thought with doubt and suspicion. I must delve deeper than before; beyond the city under the city and into the mountain that hold that which was before man..."

Borodeva
12-29-2009, 03:37 PM
"This book is written in Aquan. It's the journal of Sephia Gheonan. Its writing is quite cryptic and incomprehensible at times. I'll study it more later. Let's get the h3ll outta here! I'll take point with my sneaky ring. You guys follow a little bit behind."

[Madoka sneaks across to the other side, careful to look out for an ambush or a new guard. Which ways can we go, and what do I see in each direction?]

wizarddog
12-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Emerging from the cave Madoka looks at her current position.

A bugbear corpse lies at the foot of the cave. The left leads to the area where they were held in the cells. To the right is the path that leads down to the docks. The kitchen cave is the first cave. The sleeping cavern is further down. Next is the captain's cave (Barnbas has entered only few times). And at the bottom is the landing that leads to the docks is winding passage cave. At that end of that is a swaying humanoid form that remains in its place.

Barnabas recalls:

The Kitchen Cave has no exits.

The cave beyond the kitchen is a cave used by the smugglers for living quarters and has a few exits. Barnabas has tried them before being caught.

Barnbas is unsure if the Captain's cave had an exit but it did have a chamber covered by a tapestry.

The winding cave was used by most of the inhabitants but it appears some humanoid is guarding that entrance.

The cavern water system leads out to the ocean.

Borodeva
12-30-2009, 12:58 AM
"Hmm, I think we gotta check the Captain's cave for loot and information. That tapestry-covered chamber sounds interesting. And we'll probably have to kill that zombie since it's guarding the path that is used the most. I assume that leads to an exit. Unless we wanna go for a long cold swim... We might actually get out through the ocean, too."

[Waits for consensus, but takes a few steps towards the Captain's cave.]

Edit to add: "Let's drag this bugbear corpse into the secret cave so we don't announce our presence here."

[Goes to grab the bugbear, but waits for help.]

wizarddog
01-05-2010, 03:02 AM
With no protest, the thieves drag the body of the bugbear into the cave. Madoka leads the way down the passage. She gets a better view of the form at the end of the path. It appears to be human shaped and she is a about 80' away. The Captains cave is just but a few feet from her.

Bearfoot_Adam
01-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I bet that's anudder undead

Borodeva
01-05-2010, 11:49 AM
"Pssst, you guys wanna kill that zombie first, then go check out the Captain's cave? Or should we use stealth to sneak into the cave and back out, possibly bypassing the zombie? I'm down for stealth since I'm not much good against undead."

[Madoka prepares to creep into the Captain's cave using stealth and search it carefully (roll at least 5 times). (Hide and Move Silently +12 plus the ring) She will also start checking for traps. (Search +11) If no objections are voiced, she will proceed.]

Bearfoot_Adam
01-06-2010, 03:15 PM
*tries to be as sneaky as possible*

wizarddog
01-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Madoka moves into the caves entrance and stops to examine the cave entrance.

Barnabas follows but waits impatiently as Madoka examines the cave entrance. He see beyond her the Captains cave. In the captain's hasty departure it appears the lantern hanging in the center still burns. A rotten wooden desk lies on a bearskin rug, a few papers are on it. Next are four Small baskets have been tipped over as if contents were spilled out. A rickey bead with mounds of furs and stained pillows is in the corner. Above it is a cistern for essence above it, still with the sweet smell of jasmine. A large sea trunk is by the bed as well. On the far wall is a tapestry which covers another cave entrance. No light emits from behind it.

Madoka detects no trap at the cave entrance. She begins to decide where she would like to look at first.

Borodeva
01-07-2010, 04:51 PM
I give the all-clear hand signal to Barnabus and I signal to Gisele and Blake to watch the entrance and the passageway so we are not surprised from the rear. Then I sneak inside, checking for traps ahead of me as I go. I pick up the lantern and check the tapestry area for traps, then peek behind it. What do I see?

Bearfoot_Adam
01-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Barnabas closes the distance and sets up watch by the door of the captains quarters.

wizarddog
01-09-2010, 03:44 PM
The tapestry area seems to have no hidden trap. Upon flashing the lantern, Madoka notices glint of reflection coming from the corners of the tapestry. She opens it and before her in an inlet is a full suit of plate armor on a stand. Sinister barbed spikes cover the armor and the helm that accompanies it is meshed with a devilish faceplate.

Borodeva
01-10-2010, 12:29 AM
I signal Barnabus to come over since I found badass armor! Woot! Then I go search the sea trunk for traps, then open it and search the contents if safe. Proceed to search under the bearskin rug, the desk, the papers, the baskets, and the walls (for secret doors or hiding places). What else do I find?

wizarddog
01-11-2010, 07:33 PM
The trunk appears to have been left unlock. No traps are evident and Madoka opens it to find an assortment of clothing of different styles and make and various conditions. Digging around she finds a very fine belt buckle on a belt. The buckle seems to be made of silver with the face of a devil with its tongue sticking out.

The other wait patiently as Madoka conducts her search.
The bearskin is quite large can could offer a small price. The baskets, contain nothing. The desk drawers seem to be empty save the lower one which has a small lock on it. The wood around the lock is scraped away by some blade.

The papers seem to be of various permits, dockers, letters of credit to merchants and manifests from a variety of ships. Dates range from six months to twenty years with various seals.

The walls of the chamber are solid stone cavern walls. Madoka finds nothing secret about them though she found several chalk written messages on the walls. One says "I will kill you!" another says "Your head is mine!".

Borodeva
01-11-2010, 07:47 PM
I slip the fine belt buckle into my pack. I then signal Gisele and Barnabus to come in and help me collect all the loot (rug, fine clothes, including pointing Barnabus to the armor) while Blake keeps watch outside. I make sure to grab all the papers and seals for use with my forgery skill. I then begin to work on unlocking the bottom desk drawer, motioning for the others to stand clear as I work. (Take 20 with a +10 Open Locks mod)

Bearfoot_Adam
01-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Barnabas starts taking apart the armor to put in the trunk.

wizarddog
01-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Madoka begins working at the lock. Midway through, her finger is stabbed by a needled which ejects through the lock. The needle leaves no mark save a blue stain on her finger.

Borodeva
01-12-2010, 09:17 PM
"Sh*t, something pricked me! I think it's a blue poison! Can anyone help treat this?"

[Waits for some Heal checks to be attempted on her. If no response, tries a Heal check on herself, mod -1]

[Checks to make sure the trap won't reset. Search +11. Then finishes opening the lock.]

OOC: Must I say "I search for traps" in every post, or did I just not find the poison needle?

CaptainShar
01-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Gisele runs up to Madoka and grabs her finger. She applies pressure at the joint and starts sucking at the place where it pricked, spitting out the poison on the ground.

(Heal check.)

(Sorry I've been away - I must have turned off my email updates for this thread! Back now. :) )

wizarddog
01-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Gisele rushes to Madoka and tries to exert the poison from her finger. She manages to squeeze some liquid out. It tasty very bitter to her and stains her tongue. Gisele and Madoka do not immediately feel any adverse effects.

(DM It is usually better to be specific, but in this case, no, you did not find a trap, it was too well hidden.)

Borodeva
01-13-2010, 08:02 PM
"Ewww, thanks!"

[I scrape away more wood around the lock with my dagger, making sure there are no more needles. (20 Search with a +11 mod). Then continue opening the lock, watching carefully for another needle now that I know where it comes from. Do I get it open with a 30?]

CaptainShar
01-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Gisele moves back to keeping a lookout at the door of the cave.

wizarddog
01-14-2010, 03:49 PM
No more traps hinder Madoka and she works diligently on the lock. It opens and she pulls open the drawer. Inside she finds a thick leather journal with papers overfilling it and held together by a leather strap. A small brass pin has a demonic face upon it, similar to the belt buckle she found.

Gisel watches cave entrance. The silence is eery. She does a quick look and notes the form down the passage has moved out of sight.

Barnabas finishes loading the trunk with the armor and other potential valuables.

Borodeva
01-14-2010, 08:26 PM
"Sweet, got it! There's a book inside! Let's get outta here!"

[Empties the drawer into her pack, then takes a quick look behind and under the drawer for hidden compartments in the desk.]

"Let's head down the passage! They wouldn't have had a guard unless they didn't want us to go that way! Hehe!"

[Starts off stealthily down the passage, taking point.]

CaptainShar
01-14-2010, 10:11 PM
"That zombie's gone. I hope it didn't go to warn the others we're rifling through the captain's chest."

Gisele follows them down the passage, ready to establish a Mind Link if they need to talk silently.

Bearfoot_Adam
01-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Why can't we just leave this hell, Barnabas thinks to himself. With a sigh Barnabas picks up the chest and tries to stealthily carry it.

Borodeva
01-15-2010, 01:28 AM
OOC: I thought we thought the way out WAS down the passage that formerly had the zombie. Did I get confused?? I was trying to lead us out.

Bearfoot_Adam
01-15-2010, 06:08 PM
((I know, My character just really doesn't like this place))

CaptainShar
01-15-2010, 06:27 PM
As they go down the passage, Gisele in the middle of the group, she keeps an eye out for any sign that they are noticed.

wizarddog
01-16-2010, 02:48 PM
The group reaches the end of the passageway and Madoka stops them. She hears the sound of shuffling around the corner. The sound of sets of feet moving about. To the left, the trail leads to the docks.

Gisel lookout to the dark waters from the cave and could have sworn she saw something bob out of the water and back in.

CaptainShar
01-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Gisele establishes her Mind Link with both Madoka and Barnabus (1 person is free with my racial ability, and I spend 1 PP to include an extra person).

"Something's hiding in the water. Something bigger than a fish."

Borodeva
01-18-2010, 01:37 PM
[Hand signals to the group that there are footsteps around the corner, then signals that she will check them out. Sneak forward to the corner, crouch down and while hiding, take a quick peek around the corner towards the footsteps. What do I see?]

Via Mindlink:

"Crap! Sea Monster to the left and who knows what to the right. Give me a sec to take a peek..."

Bearfoot_Adam
01-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Barnabas sets down the chest and raises Draws sword and mace.

Borodeva
01-18-2010, 05:51 PM
OOC: Any chance we could at least get a simple line drawing map to show us which possible routes lie before us and which ways we've already explored?

I know left is the harbor and right are the footsteps, but there seem to be other ways to go as well, including the crew area that Barnabus explored before getting caught in the past.

Furthermore, do we know if there is at least a rowboat or something at the dock that we could steal to escape?

wizarddog
01-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Madoka looks about the corner and see two forms in the darkness some 20 feet away side by side. They both look like humanoids. Attached to their arms are metal blades that extend from their hands like metal claws. It also appears several wooden and metal plates have been hammered on to the flesh of these abominations. One sports a helmet while another has a bucket attached to its head. Rusty nails, shards of glass, and blades jut from their bodies as well.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
(DM I assume when you say "want to get out" you head to where you know could be an exit. here is rough map of the area. There is no rowboat.)

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r333/trialsofthecrimsonguard/th_cavrensmap.jpg (http://s352.photobucket.com/albums/r333/trialsofthecrimsonguard/?action=view&current=cavrensmap.jpg)

Borodeva
01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the awesome map, P! It helps a lot!

OOC: It seems that the two likely potential exits are either around to the right past the Terminator Zombies, or through the crew cave area past where Barnabus was caught before. Either way, it looks like we are in for a fight. Alternately we could try trickery. I can use Disguise Self to turn into the Wizard we fought before and go with Barnabus to lead the "prisoners" (you guys) through the crew area. (We should still have the manacles we escaped from). But we still don't know where that leads and it would look stupid if the Wizard got lost or didn't know the way. I'm a pretty solid Bluffer (max ranks, +7 mod), but still.

What do you guys suggest we do?

Bearfoot_Adam
01-19-2010, 07:04 PM
((Well I don't know if we can bluff the zombies. That might be lost on them. And I believe everyone else left in the ships. At least that is the impression I was getting. Either Way I'm pretty sure they Know I've escaped, and are definitely sure you guys escaped what with the dead bugbear reanimated and the dead wererat. SO it would be pretty hard to say that a lone wizard brought us all down in any way that didn't involve fireballs, and that doesn't usually lead to prisoners afterward. so I would go for the fight and run. THough that leaves us without me carrying the big chest. I like bluffing as well.))

CaptainShar
01-20-2010, 12:24 AM
"Barnabus, how many people are usually in the crew room?"

wizarddog
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
From post #120 of Chapter 3 Banrabas knows the following:

He knows an halfing officer named "DeadEye" who was very skilled at the sling. He took out a bat some 60 feet away in the darkness.

A Dark elf wizard name "Vore" who is the 1st mate. The others know who he is.

"Captain Mortimere", a very capable leader. Though he remembers that he became captain only recently in the last six months. The Captain is very skilled in the rapier, cutting down a man in single draw of his weapon.

A strange green colored humanoid who everyone call "Flora". She has proven to be quite deadly with a longbow.

He knows of a large wolf that roams the area and once growled his name. Everyone calls the wolf "Fenris".

He counted about 6 other smugglers in the group who have been working on remodeling their ship The Seahag.

Recently some strange fish like creatures had been seen wandering the caves. They seem to have some sort of agreement with the smugglers. Banabas knows not what it is.

Borodeva
01-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Whispers to the others:

"I say we go through the Crew Quarters. I'll take a peek and get us some recon. We can fight if we have to. At least our weapons and magic should be fully effective against humanoids, unlike the zombies who are resistant to almost everything we've got."

[Takes out her bow and sneaks back to the crew cave and peeks inside. What do I see there?]

wizarddog
01-21-2010, 10:35 PM
The crew cave is more ransacked than the kitchen or the captain's quarters. Crates, jugs, urns and baskets are all overturned and bits of worn clothing and odds and ends of rough living litter the cave. A low burning lantern is still lit hanging from a chain in the center.

The walls of the cavern have graffiti in a variety of languages, mostly referring to questionable race of another's parents. One curious item appears to be a set of very long white curved twigs mounted on a piece of drift wood hanging on the wall. Barnabas knows nothing of the display other than the men tended to make jokes about getting another souvenir from the skrag.

Two passageways exit out out the chamber. Barnabas has tried them both and usually found himself lost a bit before being caught by the bugbear or the wererat.

Borodeva
01-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Via Mindlink:

"There's nobody here, let's toss this place! Who knows what we might find. That driftwood looks like it has a story behind it. Let's grab it! But first, let me check for traps..."

[Checks for traps, then begins to search for secret stuff around the cave and its contents.]

Bearfoot_Adam
01-23-2010, 11:53 AM
"I don't know, I think the twigs are just a joke. Besides this place already looks tossed"

Borodeva
01-23-2010, 02:20 PM
"Hehe, you never know what we might find! And I bet our boss would find some use for those twigs! Let's get to it, guys!"

[continues searching for traps, then searching for secret stuff...]

OOC: I think those twigs are described as "curious" for a reason. Let's get 'em!

wizarddog
01-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Of the obvious places for traps, the entrance, the exits and near the wooden mantle, Madoka finds no traps. Nor does he believe a pit trap would be locate in a living quarters.

Upon closer examination of the mantle she discovers they are not twigs but very long samples of broken fangs and claws. Cut into the wood on the bottom it reads "Skrag Souvenirs".

More searching of the cave reveals nothing of noted value.

Borodeva
01-23-2010, 09:43 PM
"Right or left? I say left, let's go!"

[Takes the Scrag souvenirs and packs them in her pack, then sneaks off down the left passage, taking point once again. My bow is out.]

CaptainShar
01-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Gisele takes some of the less valuable items, such as baskets and broken bits of wood, for her arrow-selling business. She follows Madoka to the left.

wizarddog
01-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Madoka leads the group down the passage on the left. It becomes quite dark and narrow.

(DM: How do you wish to light your way?)

Borodeva
01-25-2010, 07:33 PM
"Sh*t, it's dark! Let's quickly double-back and get the lantern from the Captain's cave and the lantern in the Crew cave. I have oil so we can refill them."

[Circles back and picks up the two lanterns and refills them, hands one to Gisele and takes one herself, stows her bow, then continues to lead the group down the left corridor.]

wizarddog
01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
The way is lit and the gang of thieves and their orc companion venture into the passageway.

For about 30 minutes you continue to travel down the passage. Barnabas notes that he got about this far before being caught. The passage continues into the darkness moving slightly downward.

Borodeva
01-26-2010, 01:44 PM
[Continue onward, checking for traps periodically at suspicious areas.]

OOC: What direction do we think we are heading? And should that take us back under the city, or under the ocean?

CaptainShar
01-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Gisele also proceeds down the passageway, cautiously. If they come to any forks, she'll make a mark on the wall to note which way they came from and which way they're trying first.

wizarddog
01-27-2010, 06:49 PM
(DM without a dwarf or a directional spells/powers you have no way to determine direction. However, you deduce that you are at least moving inland, if not more underground.)

The passage continues for another 30 minutes, getting tighter but maneuverable. You hear the scrapping of the chest Barnabas is carrying behind you against the walls of the cavern.

Ahead you find the passage is at a crossroad. One heading lower to your left and one heading higher to your right. A foul salty smell comes from the left and painted next to it is a strange devil face, much like the one you have seen on the journal and the belt buckle.

The right passage seems to have a slight breeze and the smell of dank water is caught on your nose.

Borodeva
01-27-2010, 07:31 PM
[sniffing...]

"Right seems like a way out! I think it's sloping up! Let's get the he*l outta here!"

[Checks around the intersection for traps, then if safe, leads the group right and hopefully out!]

CaptainShar
01-28-2010, 04:09 AM
"I look forward to seeing the light of day."

Gisele starts toward the right once Madoka has checked for traps.

Bearfoot_Adam
01-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Walk walk walk

wizarddog
01-29-2010, 05:00 AM
The passage upward continues for about 25 minutes going upward and leveling off. The lichen on the walls increases in abundance and the dusky smell of mold is prominent. Small clusters of underground mushrooms are spotted. The floor becomes crusted with the mushrooms and other fungi and they squish and crunch under your feet.

Finally ahead you see light ahead in chamber. If your not mistaken, it looks like daylight, if not very subdued.

Borodeva
01-29-2010, 12:23 PM
[Check for traps and secret things the last 50 feet, and motion to the others to start looking and listening for an ambush. I also take active spot and listen checks as we approach the exit. If we don't find or hear or see anything out of the ordinary, I sneak to the exit and peek outside. What do we see?]

wizarddog
01-31-2010, 03:45 AM
Madoka examines their trail ahead for any signs of unsafe passage. She finds none other than an increase of fungus in the floor, walls, and ceiling of the cavern. She surmises that the path has not been transverse much.

The path opens into a cavern some 30 feet circumference. The light is a shaft of sun coming from a small opening, no more than a few inches from a 40 foot ceiling of the cavern. Engulfed in the cave is a forest of fungus, mushrooms, vines and other subterranean vegetation;some as high as 4 feet. Her keen hearing picks up the popping sound of mushrooms and fungus releasing spores into the cavern that hover in the air, reflected by the sunlight.

The spore dust obscures your vision and an exit is uncertain from the chamber.

Borodeva
02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
"Psst, Gisele. Can you summon one of those diggers and send it up to the ceiling to dig that hole bigger? We can throw a grappling hook up and climb out once the hole is big enough."

[waits for response]

wizarddog
02-02-2010, 05:19 AM
[DM If she gives the construct a fly speed it can fly up there, otherwise a Climb speed is needed--which constructs do not generate. In any case, it will need to make a few skill checks on its own to be able to start tunneling because basically it will be tunneling in the opposite direction and opposing gravity.
In order for her to summon the construct above the hole above requires more concentration that she is not capable of doing yet i.e. the DC is too high. This is a DM ruling as you normally cannot summon/manifest creatures in places they can't exist like in mid air or into areas you cannot see.]

CaptainShar
02-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Gisele holds up one hand while she makes a shaping motion with the other. Soon, a creature shaped like a giant winged ant appears. It flies up toward the ceiling and starts digging away at the hole.

Borodeva
02-04-2010, 02:54 AM
"Sweet!"

[Madoka readies her rope and grappling hook, throwing it up to catch the edge of the hole once the hole is large enough for the largest of the group to fit through.]

wizarddog
02-04-2010, 05:16 PM
The construct digs into the earth above, chuck of mud, gravel and rock fall from the center of the chamber. As they hit the shroom garden, dust and spores kick up into the air. The sun exposing itself clouds the whole chamber through the dust bowl. The construct dissipates and a hole about a foot and a half across in diameter is now exposed above.

Borodeva
02-04-2010, 05:48 PM
[Throws her grappling hook up repeatedly until it catches strongly outside the hole in the ceiling. Then pulls on the rope to make sure it's secure.]

"Hey Barnabus, I bet if you took off your armor you could climb up pretty easily then help us ladies up. What do you say?"

Bearfoot_Adam
02-04-2010, 09:32 PM
"Good Plan. Make sure to tie the chest to the end of the rope."

Borodeva
02-04-2010, 11:03 PM
[Ties the end of the rope to the chest then readies her grappling hook and begins to throw it, waiting for a good catch.]

CaptainShar
02-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Gisele shields her eyes from the dust.

"I hope this book is worth all the trouble we've gone to to get it."

She'll follow the group out of the hole once the rope is secure.

wizarddog
02-05-2010, 06:40 PM
After several attempts, the hook finally grasp inside the hole above and tugging seems to show it is firm. The dust settles by that time. With team effort the group manages to crawl out of the cavern onto solid rock on the surface.
The bright sunlight is certainly blinding as you take a look at your surroundings.

Below to the north you see the city is but a few miles away. The north gate is clearly visible. You realize you are at the base of the Cragmont cliffs, near the ocean. You can see the fishing boats out in the open sea. From your position you note about a 150 feet below is the crag trail which would lead to the main road to the gate.

Borodeva
02-05-2010, 11:32 PM
OOC: Are you saying we have to figure out a way to climb 150 feet down a mountain to reach the road to the city gates, or am I misunderstanding? In any case, I think we all just want to get back to the city in the easiest manner possible. What looks like our easiest route?

CaptainShar
02-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Gisele blinks into the sunlight.

"It's quite pretty from up here. And when we get back I'm going to call in a favor with the guild to use one of the nice baths."

wizarddog
02-06-2010, 03:15 PM
The rocks and foliage on the crags is manageable to get to the trail. You believe you can climb it if your steady on your feet.

Borodeva
02-06-2010, 09:12 PM
"Hmm, I'm a little shaky with climbing. Can you give me a hand, Barnabus? I'd hate to die falling down after all we've been through."

[Collects her rope and grapple and ties the free end around her waist, holding some slack out for Barnabus to hold. Climbs down taking 10 once he helps her.]

Once we all get down to the road, I'll take point again and lead the group back to town. Can we make it back safely? XP time? Hehe. If we make it back we'll also report in, show the book and debrief on the intel we've gathered, and get all our loot identified.

Bearfoot_Adam
02-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Grabs the rope and braces himself against a large rock and stars to lower the two down.

wizarddog
02-07-2010, 05:53 PM
With the great strength of the orc, the group manages to get themselves and the chest down to the path. For an hour you move with the heavy bulky load to the main road.

As you walk towards the gates, others traveling tot he city stare and gawk at you. Some give you a wide breath out of the way as you move closer to the gates.

One young man coming your direction, immediately turns around and heads back to the gates. He begins talking frantically at a guard and pointing in your direction.

CaptainShar
02-07-2010, 09:59 PM
"Looks like this might be one for me to handle," smiles Gisele, the face of the group.

She tries to read the impressions of the gawkers. Why is everyone looking at them funny? Is it because they're rather dirty? Because they've been posted as wanted criminals? Because Barnabus is holding a really large chest?

wizarddog
02-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Gisele tries to make sense of all the reactions. It appears they are all looking at Barnabas. Probably it has to do with the fact he is an orc.

Gisele then realizes that Barnabas may be in quite bit of trouble; orcs, goblins, kolbolds and other similar races usually are killed for sport in the city. They have no rights under the law as free citizens.

The guards frown and see if you are coming tough the gate or not.

Bearfoot_Adam
02-08-2010, 08:50 PM
((so, I thought that I was already a member of the guild and has been in the city for some time. I don't know if that was clear or not in the bio. either way this will be fun))

CaptainShar
02-09-2010, 01:05 AM
"Nice one, isn't he?" Gisele comments to some of the most forward onlookers.

Borodeva
02-09-2010, 02:07 AM
"Psst Gisele, we should tell the guards that we own him and that he's our slave. That should get them off our backs. No offense, Barnabus. We just need to get back in safe without attracting too much attention."

[Keeps walking slowly towards the gates, keeping eyes and ears peeled for trouble. Active Spot and Listen checks.]

wizarddog
02-09-2010, 09:12 AM
((so, I thought that I was already a member of the guild and has been in the city for some time. I don't know if that was clear or not in the bio. either way this will be fun))

(DM Being a guild member doesn't give you immunity from discriminatory practices. Some humaniods, like Orcs, are consider sub-human. The North Gate citizens pride themselves for hard working honest people and don't like the vice elements that are associated in other areas. Sub-humans represent that and they have no rights.)

Other than the gawking of people, Madoka sesnes no sudden movements. Along the city walls Madoka notices two crossbow men glaring at them from the battlements. A group of four foot guards are gathered at the large gates. As you reach the gate, a pair of guards armored in studded leather and carrying pikes approach.

"What's all this then?" ask a skinny guard with a bent helmet.

Bearfoot_Adam
02-09-2010, 07:43 PM
((All good stuff to know.))

"No Offense Barnabas....."

"Or just say you hired me,for cheap, cause why would Barnabas take offense to being called a slave when he was raised one, and just spent the last 3 months as one."

Keeping his head down and trying to appear broken.

CaptainShar
02-09-2010, 09:44 PM
"All this? All this is too much for us two ladies to carry! Don't mind Barney, he might not be pretty but he doesn't cause any trouble. I'll be back to my usual cart soon enough, don't worry. Just needed this carried a little faster than my mule goes."

Gisele leans in to the guard.

"If you don't want to cause a scene, might want to let us through quickly. Looks like some of these gawkers are a bit frightened to have Barney in sight, and I'd hate to cause enough of a ruckus here that your commander would have to come down and quiet it."

Bearfoot_Adam
02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Thinking to himself. Barney?.... *sigh* this is what happens when you get mixed up with women.

CaptainShar
02-11-2010, 01:35 AM
(Careful what you think to yourself around a psion. Mindlink has worn off by now, but you never know!

If Gisele had heard that: "Because letting everyone know your full name is such a great idea.")

wizarddog
02-11-2010, 10:10 AM
"A slave of yours?" asks the guard quizzically. "We had reports of an orc or goblin thieving around; broke some doors, stole some gold. Slayers Guild is paying a bounty for him. Maybe it was this orc." He looks squarely at Barnabas.

Bearfoot_Adam
02-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Sets chest down "Orc or goblin?.....what they not know the difference between this (puts hands at waste high) or this (puts hands at head high) that a good witness there. No, it not me that did this."

Borodeva
02-11-2010, 11:44 PM
[Quickly slips on the fake royal elven house signet ring she keeps in her pocket... (see my equipment list, Forgery +10)]

"That's quite enough, Barney."

[leers at Barnabus, then shifts her icy gaze to the skinny guard]

"I grow tired of your asinine allegations, whelp! I am Lady Galadriel of the House Moonsinger. My servants and I have traveled many leagues to reach this godforsaken dungheap you call a town. I agree to be responsible for this orc. If you value your job I suggest you hurry up and let us pass. Or should I take this matter up with your watch captain?"

[smiles smugly and presents her royal signet ring and offers her hand for the insolent guard to kiss. Bluff +7, hoping for additional circumstance bonus due to convincing props and fancy (though dirty) clothing.]

wizarddog
02-12-2010, 12:45 AM
The Guard leers at Madoka. Gisel notes, that while Madoka makes credible Lady, it fails to impress these guards.

"Lady Galadriel, you say? Your family must have fallen on hard times, my Lady...Considering the servants you have been forced to employ!"

A group of guards chuckle.

"All orcs look alike to me, my Lady. I suggest you cover your orc with a sack so as not to offend the citizens of these City. Many of the lesson of etiquette you will have to learn behind these walls. You and your "servants" should move along...You are slowing up the line."

The guard lets you enter, though not as the grandeur you may have sought.

Borodeva
02-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Sneak back to the Guild in the shadows, using back roads and dark alleys only a thief would know. We don't want our orc to be seen again. Can we make it back to report in, rest, level, etc?

wizarddog
02-13-2010, 01:30 PM
(DM session does not end until you debrief to Calloway, what you relay to him information wise determines if you meet your objectives in finding information. It also determines your next step as far as Calloway is concern)

Back alleys and side streets provided the cover needed as you make way to to the Lower Ward, where the thieves house is located. No stare greets you, covered in blood, dust, and a crusty orc behind you, after all, this routine in the guild. You make it to Calloway's office and he ushers you in. After passing out tankards of ale to each he sits down and begins.

"We believed you were dead when others found Gisels wagon on the docs. We searched the warehouse, but nothing was taken, though we found several bodies of the bandits and our own bravos. What can you add? Who and what are we dealing with?"

(You should describe any details you think are significant that you saw or heard. If you have drawn conclusions, you state them here. If you draw no conclusions, the information you supply allows Collaway to draw one.)

Borodeva
02-13-2010, 02:09 PM
OOC to the other players: What do we wish to divulge? Is there anything we don't want to tell Calloway? Do we trust our leader 100%, or is it best we keep some info to ourselves?

Bearfoot_Adam
02-13-2010, 06:27 PM
((I trust completely but that is more character background so I'll be revealing it all. Thankfully there was plenty of stuff you guys found out without me to keep your secrets))

CaptainShar
02-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Can we back up a second? Gisele wanted to look at that book they got full of the captain's information before showing it to the guild.

wizarddog
02-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Gisel manages to peek at the journal Madoka found with the strange face, matching the belt buckle. She reads it:

"This be my Journal of One Lawrence Salavard, Captain of the Sea Hag. If you be reading this Journal, then I am dead. Should you have broken into my desk, not opening from my Key, to find this book, then I know I was betrayed by my men. While I was alive, I secretively protected my hoard for many years through dark magic. Any attempt to use magic to learn its location will fail. Nor does my spirit have that information, for I have purposely erased it from my memory. Only this Journal reveals the location of my Hoard and only by following these directions can one hope to find and open it.

Those who come seeking my journal, without my blessing, are also in for a surprise. The lock to my desk I acquired is no ordinary needle trap. It has been bane by dark forces and the poison that flows through any fool who opens it will soon die within the day. That is, unless they find my bones and bring them to my hoard, so I may rest amongst my treasure, for there in my hoard lies the antidote. In any case, opening requires that my lips be pressed against the seal in order for it to open, so you must find my remains if you wish to feast your eyes on the beauty of my plunder.

If you be men of Honor, you will fulfill my request. If you be scoundrels, you die a horrible death if you ignore my request. Return my bones to my hoard if you wish to save yourself.

Once you discovery my remains, the path you take is secret. Through the water cavern beyond the ice tunnel lies the remains of a cold and dark temple. I know not its purpose, but the remains of those who have sought it out should not be disturbed less you wish foul spirits to bring their wrath upon you. I warn you now, those of weak minds and lofty ideals will find this path most treacherous. Do not let your guard down. Once you reach the central chamber lay my lips upon the statue of the Gorgon. It is from that the seal which will open and reveal my treasure. Place my bones in the chamber and begone..."

CaptainShar
02-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Gisele motions for Madoka and Barnabus to halt a moment.

"We have to go back and kill the Captain. That needle you got pricked by? Cursed by some evil Temple to kill us within the day if we don't bring the Captain's bones to the dark temple we nearly stumbled into past that ice cave."

Borodeva
02-15-2010, 02:14 AM
"Huh? Say what? Do we have to kill a Captain or find a Captain's bones? And take the bones where? You gotta be kidding me!"

OOC: I think Shar is a little confused, or Gisele is. We need to find the bones of a Captain who is already dead, right? Not kill the Captain of the thieves. Right?

wizarddog
02-15-2010, 10:21 AM
(DM As Barnabas can attest, the original captain of the Bandits was indeed slain.)

Borodeva
02-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Looks like we're going back in. Can we quickly brief Calloway, telling everything except about the treasure hoard? We will show him the secret thieves' guild ship plans, the navigational charts showing the meeting a few miles away, tell him about the Voice, the Sahuagin allies, the fate of the Bravos, the summoner's journal, all of it.

"Apparently we're cursed to die if we don't put some murdered sea captain's bones to rest, boss. We gotta do it now. So if we don't come back, you know why."

Then I will pick up some silver arrows, some cold iron arrows, some clean clothes, some fresh water and rations, and a small unremarkable silver locket which I pay to have enchanted on the inside with Continual Flame.

DM: Can we get a new map of the smuggler's area that shows the places we've visited and the passageways we've seen but not gone down since the last map? Can we also get a list of the loot we're currently carrying? I think we'll leave the spiked armor and other heavy stuff at the guild, but I think Barnabus has a silver dagger, Gisele has a shield with a magic gem, and I have the shadow ring and the wand that keeps blowing up in my face. What else?

CaptainShar
02-16-2010, 04:36 AM
Gisele nods at Madoka's plan. To Calloway:

"They're in league with the sahuagin, and possibly with forces darker than that."

She'll recover her cart and all its items. It should be easier to get Barnabus around that way.

wizarddog
02-16-2010, 04:21 PM
(DM it is the players responsibility to keep track of items found and mapping. When did you all get lazy from the 1e days?;) Look through the posting to find the items you are most fond of.)

Calloway: "It appears you have issues besides Guild business. The bandits are being aided by a powerful enemy and have aligned themselves with creatures that have not stirred for a decades. Then you get back, we must decide on a course of action."


DM For simplicity we will end this session and award XP.