PDA

View Full Version : Albedo: Platinum Catalyst

Equinox
12-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Hi there everyone, I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of Albedo: Platinum Catalyst before and if anyone still plays it? I ran across it the other day and it looked pretty interesting. Also, if this is a stupid question, I have no idea, because I'm completely new to the pen and paper RPG scene.
Thanks!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Haven't played it. Can you tell us more about it, for you have me curious.

BTW, hello and welcome to the boards, Equinox.

Equinox
12-22-2009, 01:29 AM
Well, it's a pen and paper RPG based off of an anthropomorphic comic book series by the artist Steve Gallacci, which ran from 1984 to 2004 as far as I know. The premise is based off of said comic book series, and basically it's a sc-fi setting, quite rich and detailed, as you can image, with 20 years of material behind it. The plot is that the anthropomorphic characters in the world basically sprang into existence 250 years ago in their time, fully formed and functioning, with no Creator(s) in sight. There is no past, only the future. As a rational and scientific society, there is no religion, no myths, or legends. Different socio-political methods have thrived due to everyone being connected by the Net, a computer AI that is highly advanced and flexible, answering any and all questions that the inhabitants had for nearly 200 years, yet carefully dodged any inquisitions about the Creator(s) of these peoples. Civil and economic strife were and are nothing new, even some civil war was present in the past. Now there is a modicum of peace in the systems that these anthropomorphic peoples have spread out to, although widespread corruption is now taking hold in many sectors of public life. Ambition and thirst for power are replacing research and studies for the common good, and signs of civil strife are appearing. The Net has it's own flaws that governments and corporations have found and exploited, muting the news getting to the public. In the face or civil unrest, corrupt governments, and old conflicts, the Extraplanetary-Defense-Force, the only organization in space that appears to have the people's best interest in mind, is gearing up for war.

(That's the general back-story which I hopefully did an OK job of para-phrasing here. Now, time for a cigarette break!. Oh, and I will post the different class types, skill sets, weapons, etc. if you like as well.)

Equinox
12-23-2009, 04:47 AM
I couldn't really run through the whole history of the setting here, unfortunately, but there is a lot more to the setting, different planets, governments, their related intricacies and more. There is a long list of weapons, character types, skills and abilities that I'm working on for posting in this thread as well, but I do have the complete PDF file available for anyone interested in this game, and also all the other PDFs of the games made by the publisher of this game (Sanguine Productions Ltd.), totaling four, plus all character creation sheets for all four games. They all appear to feature anthropomorphic (furry) PC's and NPC's.

TAROT
12-23-2009, 10:03 PM
We do not pirate games here. Please read. (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3415)

I own it. I've read it but never played. Furry is a hard sell. (I also own the Chessex Albedo, though I've never seen a copy of Erma Felna EDF.)

IIRC, the system resembles a simplified IronClaw and assumes a military campaign with rules for controlling subordinates.

Equinox
12-24-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't illegally download or pirate anything . I have the books, and I scanned them into my computer and made PDF's out of them. I don't know if that is pirating or not, I was just going to use them for my own games, hosting or for reference.

TAROT
12-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Okay. Didn't mean to harsh your mellow, but to me, it sounded like you were dancing close to the line. Especially:

I do have the complete PDF file available for anyone interested in this game

Which to my ears is similar to, "For anyone interested, there are coffee and donuts at the back of the room."

Equinox
12-24-2009, 11:04 PM
I understand your concern, as an artist and musician myself, I try to keep tight control on my own intellectual property. So, why, in your opinion is furry a "hard sell" ? I see it as no different than playing an RPG such as D&D, I mean the concept is basically the same, you are role playing a fantasy type character, except it's furry. Unless you're referring to the bad rep that the furry fandom seems to have, and somehow that bleeds over to the game?

Equinox
12-25-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm just trying to see your point of view here. I mean, RPGs already have fantastical situations and settings, so why not furry PCs? It's not a far stretch as far as imagination goes, unless it would somehow put a damper on the story or progress of the game. But Albedo is designed as a specifically anthropomorphic based setting so...I'm not sure why it'd be a hard sell, I already have a couple of people wanting to play it, though it'll be more of a learning session for everyone involved, seeing as I've never done a pen and paper RPG game, nor have they. Maybe I just have no clue what I'm talking about? If so, please let me know. I was simply curious about your point of view on this game and why it possibly wouldn't work out well, or what-have-you.

TAROT
12-25-2009, 09:59 PM
If you have players interested, then great. I've long had a fondness for IronClaw and JadeClaw (I've never had much success running anything ess-eff.)

I don't know why for many players elf=good and ostrich=bad. But there seems to be a line that some people are unwilling to cross. I have some ideas:

In part there is the furry fandom (yiff) brush. Distorted representations of "puppy piles" on TV. There is an association for some people between "furry" and "sexual deviancy." Much like LARPers, there is a "freak the mundane" minority within furry fandom that poisons the well of potential players.

Anthropomorphic animals are perceived as cartoons and not considered to be serious despite titles like Maus.

Some roleplayers are defensive about their hobby. Some people who have been bullied find someone even smaller to pick on. Furry games, being one of the tiniest niches of this niche hobby fits the bill. "At least I'm not one of them."

As your group is entirely novices, I don't think that any of the above applies.

Equinox
12-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Well, thanks for your viewpoint, I can clearly see where a more experienced player might balk at the idea of a furry RPG, and I know about the stigma associated with furs, I know a few myself.

The media brands these people wrongly. The fandom isn't all about the yiff, and titles like Maus, Thousand Leaves, and others clearly exhibit the talent that is in the fandom. Of course, the sexual aspect of the fandom is the "shock factor" that news agencies love to flaunt. But, that's a whole other story in and of itself.

Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated.