PDA

View Full Version : Seeking AD&D 1st Edition Gamers/Los Angeles

bigjawhite
12-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Seeking players for 1st edition AD&D. Want to meet on an ad hoc basis, home brew adventures. One shots, really, perhaps with a unifying campaign arc.

I'm willing to be a PC or DM. If I DM, there will be rapid advancement in level.

I'm 43. Prefer fellow closet gamers from the old days, or new players that like 1st edition.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-15-2009, 02:03 AM
1st edition dnd is the best - with house rules, of course. Oh man, i am sooo tempted. 70 miles? Hmmm, i will definitely seriously think about it.

wizarddog
12-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Sounds interesting.

Haven't play 1e is soo long that I barely remember rules. My problem back then was a lack of initiative in pushing the rules to do things different. Now that I have seasoned a bit, I am more flexible. It would be cool if we could alternate DM and playing. Keep me posted.

PB

bigjawhite
12-16-2009, 12:55 AM
Three positive replies - setting a game date might build our momentum.

How does Sunday, January 17, 2010, look? Early afternoon start time.

What say you all?

wizarddog
12-16-2009, 03:49 PM
LOL. Sunday evenings is when I run MY game every other week.

Short of dropping the pathfinder I normally play elsewhere I might consider it. Need some actual times.

bigjawhite
12-16-2009, 06:22 PM
To get the conversation started - how does a 12 noon start time sound? This may need to change to accomodate the masses. Of course, non-Catholics are welcome (get the pun? masses? er.....).
--- Merged from Double Post ---
I like 2nd edition initiative - anyone object?

Also, prefer not to use weapon to hit vs. armor class type modifiers. Too complicated.

I am also open to allowing bards to begin play at 1st level, provided ability score prerequisites are met.

wizarddog
12-16-2009, 08:28 PM
I could do noon, but I need to know how long we playing.

Other considerations:
Do we build characters there or bring them over to start playing?
What about weapon specialization? Unearth Arcana?
How far will we allow race with class options. (i.e. traditionally haflings could only be fighters or thieves but Non-player could be druids.)
Do we have level limitations for demi-races?
Are we going to make alignment a BIG deal?
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Also the bard thing might be a little overpowered. The bard has that charm ability that normally you don't see around till about 7th level with all the other characters. Then again its been so long-I don't know

bigjawhite
12-17-2009, 12:14 AM
All:

I'm not a fan of weapon specialization. If PCs get it, then so should NPCs and monsters. That leads to too much accounting for the DM (me).

I don't have the UA - but I will allow classes and races from it.

I like the demi-human class restrictions and limits. We can discuss limits as a group - allowing for limit progression for demi-humans, but at 2x XP?

Lets build characters when we first meet. You'll roll 4d6 six times and arrange as you like. I will also give PCs family heirlooms with which they will start play. Something of value to your class.

Also, PCs for absent players are "guarding the horses." Their characters are not run as NPCs.

Another issue to resolve is character death. New PC is rolled up at 0 XP? My suggestion: new player starts with 1/2 XP of surviving PC with lowest XP. Sounds low, but at higher level, this may mean your new character may be only one level behind the rest of the party.

I like alignments - especially for LG's. For that reason, a paladin should be hard to play. I try to incorporate moral dilemnas in games from time to time.

That said - evil is evil. Orcs and goblins are the spawn of darkness. There will be no goblin women and babies cowering in corners left trapped in a cave waiting to see what a party of PCs does with them.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Doubtful i can join you all at this time, but i wanted to give you this link on the off chance you were unaware of it.

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/

wizarddog
12-17-2009, 03:46 AM
The only reason for the question on alignment is that the group will either have may have a Paladin or an Assassin as neither can be around for the other. Playing a Pally in 1e never seemed to be a major problem except when another player was not good.

If weapon specialization is out then UA should be out all together since the Cavalier is all about weapon specialization. The purpose of weapon specialization was to make the fighter better, as the ranger and Pally got better benefits, even if restricted to good. Monsters didn't get it because they don't have class levels and weapon proficiency slots. Doesn't mean they couldn't have class levels but if you want to keep it simple, then lets keep it simple.

There is nothing wrong with racial level limits. It just forces demi-humans to multi-class to get the best use of their abilities and slows advancement. x2 could be an option.

Good idea on the 1/2 XP or 1 level lower on death. Starting over may just have players not come back anymore.;)

I reviewing ol' 1e right now to see how it defines things.

bigjawhite
12-24-2009, 12:10 AM
All:

Game is now set for Sunday, January 31st. Start time TBD, likely to be 12 noon, or 1pm.

Arch: I read Dragonsfoot regularly - great stuff there.

John

h3athrow
01-20-2010, 02:15 PM
I can't do the 31st, but I'm interested in seeing how this goes. Will check back in!

bigjawhite
01-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Send me your email address and I'll add you to our google game group. Dates of next games will be posted there.

My email address is bigjawhite@yahoo.com