PDA

View Full Version : Character Knowledge versus plyer knowledge can be hilarious!

cigamnogard
12-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Last night we had our D&D 3.5 game. A kind creature came along and gave the party four boots of S & S and +3 Resistance cloaks for the rest. As the DM I described that each item of cloathing had a Golden Chalice on it. The party was fascinated with the symbol...I was a little surprised but went along with them. They wanted to know what the symbol meant. Instead of roaring with laughter I had them perform knowledge checks:
Some suggested Knowledge nobility and royalty - I agreed that they could indeed find out information that way.
The roll was good and I let them know that a baronetess in the region belonged to this group - the order of the Golden Chalice!
The players were fascinated - they wanted to know more about this group! Again, I resisted with a twinkle in my eye. I asked them what other knowledge checks would they like to try.
Another offered Knowledge history. Again an okay roll was delivered and I informed the players that the group had recently started up in the Eldeen Reeches of Eberron.
One player said aloud - "I think I have heard if this group!"
I replied - "You should - your charcaters are the members of the Golden Chalice."

Please note this was a name the players came up with that I had nothing to do with.

D20 Xanatos
01-18-2010, 02:56 PM
I have got to get in on your games.

cpljarhead
01-18-2010, 04:57 PM
wow was that funny or what!!!!!!!

cigamnogard
01-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Not sure if this is sarcasm or not - guess you had to be there if I did not do the story justice.

D20 Xanatos
01-18-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm not sure who you are talking to, but I'm being completely honest. I'd love to be in a group where funny stuff like that happens frequently.

cpljarhead
01-19-2010, 04:46 AM
cig, that was not meant to be sarcastic. that was funny. wish i could have been there to see that. i probably would have laughed my ass off

cplmac
01-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Would have been great to get to see the look on the players' faces as you told them, "You should - your characters are the members of the Golden Chalice."

Swordnboard
01-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Good call making them do knowledge checks!

cigamnogard
01-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys - hard to read e-mails/posts sometimes - was not sure I had written my post decently as well.
Yes, I was blown away that the entire group was sitting there scratching their heads. :eek: So, I went along with it ;)
Fast forword to last game:
Me:The director of the Ministry Magic wants you to look into why the artifact/magic item has not been delivered by the harpy courier.
Note: in Eberron Warlord Adal is the head of the Ministry of Magic; I thought it was kind of funny myself
Group (OoC): Wouldn't be funny if that was the harpy that in the last game we killed and took the deck of many things off of that created all the wraiths that...
Me: Smiling - too bad these characters do not know that.
Note - see my blogs for the full story!
http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/blog.php?b=659&goto=prev
Group: LOL!

Malruhn
01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Cig, your OP has to be the funniest thing I've read in a LOOoooooonnnng time!!! I can see a group doing it as well!

I once had a cloak and dagger-type of adventure going, and one of the guys bought off a serving maid to keep her ears open. Two weeks later, after asking all sorts of questions, the maid reports that there is a new group of people in the city asking for the SAME INFORMATION!! They almost assassinated one of their own people(!!) one of the other group, but she kept just slipping past their ambushes. It was like she KNEW about them!! It took three sessions to figure out that they were tailing themselves. :lol:

The last session is just as good. I wonder if any will put 2.5 and 2.5 together to get 4+1... :biggrin: :D

cigamnogard
01-22-2010, 06:13 PM
That's awesome!