PDA

View Full Version : My Desktop Broke :(

Richard Littles
12-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Last night my AMD Phenom system decided to not power up after shutting itself off. Fortunately, my motherboard and cpu are still under warranty, so I was able to get RMAs for both of them to return for replacement. I'm sad that my main computer is down until I can get the replacement parts. :Cry:

I was talking with a friend of mine about that since this was the first time I had an AMD cpu not work out of all the ones I've owned. That is pretty amazing since my first AMD cpu was a K7 series, so to me AMD represents reliability. I've had Intel cpus before and both of them failed within a year.

This is the first time I've used an ASRock motherboard. Due to it failing within a year I doubt that I'll ever use them again. This is mainly due to the fact that I've had two other motherboards fail over the years. One was an Asus and the other was a DFI. The Asus one was a socket 939 and the DFI was a Socket A.

Speaking of reliability, I'm posting this on my back up computer which is an old Compaq Presario that has an AMD Sempron 3000+ in it. I'm really impressed with the quality of AMD's products and will always recommend them to people. :)

Freejack
12-10-2009, 07:29 PM
I had my AMD based server in Florida bite the dust in less than a year. Not sure what the ultimate problem was but the ISP replaced the entire thing after several weeks of lockups.

ATI and specifically their drivers suck badly. I have a pair of ATI Radeon's and have had nothing but driver issues for the past year and a little. It's a lot better these past couple of months but I still experience problems.

Carl

Richard Littles
12-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your server biting the dust. Hopefully, your replacement is working out much better. What's going on with your Radeons? I haven't had any problems with my Radeon HD 4850 under XP, Vista, and 7, but it sounds to me like it would be a conflict with another piece of hardware on your system.

mrken
12-10-2009, 07:50 PM
We bought into AMD when they first started selling them. Only Intel's we have owned were the ones I bought for daycare about twelve years ago and one my wife bought off her friend who was moving to to China. So far we have have about ten AMD's and I find them to be as good as Intel's but I am helping the little guy compete with the big guy.

Freejack
12-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your server biting the dust. Hopefully, your replacement is working out much better. What's going on with your Radeons? I haven't had any problems with my Radeon HD 4850 under XP, Vista, and 7, but it sounds to me like it would be a conflict with another piece of hardware on your system.

The server seems to be ok. No problems since it was replaced so we're good :)

I have a pair of ATI 4870 Radeons (from Diamond). 1 with 512M and the second with a gig of RAM.

Based on the errors in the logs and research on the 'net, it's a known problem with an ATI driver.

The system starts, gets to the Windows loading bar, between 9 and 12 passes the system reboots.

The forums all talk about upgrading the driver to the latest and greatest but attempting that seems to cause even more problems.

Eventually I had to use a registry and driver cleaner, remove every stitch of ATI driver, install the current suite from Diamond (not ATI directly) and it's been a lot better. It still boots at the start occasionally and when coming back from crossfire mode it may go into a repeated loop booting several times before settling down.

But it goes for weeks without booting now where it would be several times a week.

Carl

Richard Littles
12-10-2009, 09:00 PM
The server seems to be ok. No problems since it was replaced so we're good :)

I have a pair of ATI 4870 Radeons (from Diamond). 1 with 512M and the second with a gig of RAM.

Based on the errors in the logs and research on the 'net, it's a known problem with an ATI driver.

The system starts, gets to the Windows loading bar, between 9 and 12 passes the system reboots.

The forums all talk about upgrading the driver to the latest and greatest but attempting that seems to cause even more problems.

Eventually I had to use a registry and driver cleaner, remove every stitch of ATI driver, install the current suite from Diamond (not ATI directly) and it's been a lot better. It still boots at the start occasionally and when coming back from crossfire mode it may go into a repeated loop booting several times before settling down.

But it goes for weeks without booting now where it would be several times a week.

Carl

I now understand your problem since you're running a Crossfire set up with two different sets of memory on the cards. As far as I know that you're supposed to use two of the exact same card for crossfire to work and a 512 meg difference on one card can cause problems like you've described. I bet that if you bought another 1 Gig Radeon 4870 that your problems would go away.

Freejack
12-10-2009, 09:42 PM
I now understand your problem since you're running a Crossfire set up with two different sets of memory on the cards. As far as I know that you're supposed to use two of the exact same card for crossfire to work and a 512 meg difference on one card can cause problems like you've described. I bet that if you bought another 1 Gig Radeon 4870 that your problems would go away.

I'm not running crossfire all the time. 90% of the time they're two separate cards used to drive the three monitors I have connected. From time to time (maybe twice since I got the card a couple of months ago) I've enabled crossfire mode to play Fallout 3 and I think Bioshock. Going in it was ok, but resetting it back caused the cyclic reboots.

When I put in the new Radeon, I put it in the primary spot putting the 512 in the secondary one and it drives the two 17" monitors.

Carl

tesral
12-10-2009, 10:06 PM
You get a bad chip every once in a while no matter how good the company in general. And even a bad run. Sometimes a particular model will not be worth the bother.

And it might not be the CPU. Other things can go bad on a computer board as well. I've had two board go bad due to bad capacitors.

As a result I have a number of testing tools for computers.

Freejack
12-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Unfortunately, everything I've researched on line including in the ATI forums indicate it's a driver issue. With ATI going to Vista and now Windows 7, it doesn't have time for Windows XP Pro folks. So the drivers sit idle.

I'll eventually go to Windows 7 and be able to upgrade drivers. Hopefully they'll (either Windows 7 or new ATI drivers) fix the problems.

Carl

tesral
12-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Unfortunately, everything I've researched on line including in the ATI forums indicate it's a driver issue. With ATI going to Vista and now Windows 7, it doesn't have time for Windows XP Pro folks. So the drivers sit idle.

I'll eventually go to Windows 7 and be able to upgrade drivers. Hopefully they'll (either Windows 7 or new ATI drivers) fix the problems.

Carl

<cough> Linux <cough>

Freejack
12-10-2009, 10:23 PM
<cough> Linux <cough>

Hmm, Fallout 3, Command and Conquer 3, Red Alert 4, Quake 4, Bioshock, need I provide more? Starcraft II even?

This is mainly (strangely enough) a gaming machine for me. If I were to drop gaming and go with a console, my next big computer purchase would be a Mac :D

Carl

tesral
12-10-2009, 10:24 PM
hmm, fallout 3, command and conquer 3, red alert 4, quake 4, bioshock, need i provide more? Starcraft ii even?

This is mainly (strangely enough) a gaming machine for me. If i were to drop gaming and go with a console, my next big computer purchase would be a mac :d

carl

WINE....

Or stop gaming. After all, think of the TIME you would save. :biggrin:

Freejack
12-10-2009, 10:33 PM
WINE....

Or stop gaming. After all, think of the TIME you would save. :biggrin:

The funny thing is that I really don't spend all that much time gaming for all that this is supposed to be a gaming machine. More programming, reading forums, and really waiting on Starcraft II.

I do have Red Alert in the DVD player but it's time to hit the sack. :)

Carl