PDA

View Full Version : Santa Claus

d-_-b
12-05-2009, 04:30 AM
I was wondering what a 3.5 Santa prestige class would be like and what its requirements would be. Is he a deity? -and if yes, where does he rank? What is his base classes, skills, and feats?

From where I'm sitting he would need to be some sort of divine spell casting rogue. Your christmas thoughts on this, please?

Merry Christmas:D

Dark
12-05-2009, 07:38 AM
First off this isn't mine I found it a year or so ago on some site and put it on ms word as a laugh for my players anyhow enjoy.

Santa Prestige Class

A santa is a kindly individual who spreads good will and cheer by creating and distributing gifts to children. This charitable act is usually performed on a holy day in the depths of winter. For performing this difficult labor, a santa is blessed with special supernatural abilities. The character is also helped by a dedicated band of hard-working elves and fairies who labor day and night throughout the year to produce the gifts. Both the cohort and the followers of the santa are expert artisans, and the number of such helpers attracted to a santa's service will increase with level. By tradition a santa will wear red clothing trimmed with white fur.
Santas will normally dwell at a remote, inaccessible location in the far north where he can devote all of his time preparing for the annual holy day celebration. By tradition he is married but childless, and dwells in a snug little home close to his workshop. The house is surrounded by a small community of elves and fairies who work for the santa, building gifts and tending to the small herd of animals who will haul the sled. All the basic needs of this community are provided by magic, and there is little or no need for contact or trade with the outside world.
Hit Die: d4.
Requirements

To qualify to become a santa, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
Alignment: Lawful good.
Race: Human.
Two Craft Skills (Any Type): 8 ranks in each.
Feats: Endurance, Leadership.
Class Skills

The santa class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplimacy (Cha), Handle Animals (Cha), Intuit Direction (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spot (Wis).
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Class
LevelBase
Attack
BonusFort
SaveRef
SaveWill
SaveSpecial1st+0+0+0+2Santa Sense I, Fairy Vision2nd+1+0+0+3Animal Friend, Make List3rd+1+1+1+3Santa Sense II, Winter Warmth4th+2+1+1+4Pack Item, Spotless5th+2+1+1+4Santa Sense III, Shrinking6th+3+2+2+5Fairy Flight, Flying Team7th+3+2+2+5Santa Sense IV, Jollyness8th+4+2+2+6Ageless, Coal Lump9th+4+3+3+6Santa Sense V, Fairy Feet10th+5+3+3+7Extra Jolly, Vanish
Class Features

All of the following are class features of the santa prestige class. Each of the supernatural abilities can be used at will once a santa has attained the required level.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Santas are proficient with snow balls, big belly bull-rushes, squatting pins, all improvised shields, and any red suits trimmed with white fur.
Santa Sense I: A santa gains the supernatural ability to sense the location of any and all members of a particular category of life form within an arbitrary spherical volume. The category of life must be specified when the ability is activated, but can be as general or specific as the santa needs. In this respect this scry-like ability is omniscient, and can not be resisted, negated, or saved against. Only polymorphing into a different category of life will hide a being from a santa sense examination. When this sense is focused down to a volume containing at most a dozen such life forms, the santa can sense the general physical and emotional condition of each of the beings.
Fairy Vision: A santa can see under conditions of poor illumination in a manner identical to an elf. He can see twice as far as a human even when the lighting is as low as starlight. He can also see colors and distinguish fine detail in these conditions.
Animal Friend: At 2nd level, a santa has the ability to move among any animals without invoking hostility or aggression. He can also calm animals as per the spell.
Make List: At 2nd level, if a santa makes a list and checks it twice, it is guaranteed to be free from any errors. He can automatically recall the contents of such a list at a later date. Nothing is left off the list through an act of forgetfulness or negligence.
Santa Sense II: At 3rd level, the santa sense is sufficiently developed that a santa can focus on an individual and learn identifying characteristics of that person, including the full name, parentage, and age.
Winter Warmth: At 3rd level, a santa can endure extreme wintry weather conditions as if he were protected by an endure elements spell. However even this is insufficient to protect from the blast of freezing wind when flying, so warm garb is still required.
Spotless: At 4th level, a santa can instantly become spotless and immaculate, regardless of where he travels or the kind of muck, dirt, or soot with which he is coated.
Pack Items: At 4th level, a santa can pack any number of non-living items into a sack as if the object were effected by a shrink item spell. When the item is pulled from the sack it automatically resumes its normal shape.
Santa Sense III: At 5th level, the santa sense is further enhanced so that the santa will learn whether that individual has been naughty or nice in the recent past. This sense will reveal the general behavior for intervals of up to a year.
Shrinking: At 5th level, a santa can reduce his dimensions by any amount up to 10% of his normal size. The santa will be small enough to fit through most chimney openings.
Fairy Flight: At 6th level, a santa gains a limited form of flight and can move up to 30 ft. in a single direction during a round. Most often this is used to enter and exit the dwelling a santa is visiting.
Flying Team: At 6th level, a santa can bestow the power of flight on a team of animals hitched to a wagon or sled. This team will fly poor but will have the same movement rate as a dragon. The mounts are never fatigued by this magical flight.
Santa Sense IV: At 7th level the santa sense is so refined that a santa can distinguish fine gradiations in behavior ranging from utterly rotten to positively angelic.
Jollyness: At 7th level, a santa gains the ability to spread mirth to anybody in the vicinity. When subject to his good humor, their attitude on the Influencing NPC Attitudes Table shifts to the next more favorable reaction. In addition this ability will automatically dispel emotion(hate). Jollyness can be negated by magical silence or by the countersong ability of a bard.
Ageless: At 8th level, a santa becomes ageless as he approaches his senior years. His rate of aging will continually decrease the older he gets, and he will never die of old age. He becomes effectively immune to any type of aging effect. He can become ill, but a disease will never progress sufficiently to kill him.
Coal Lump: At 8th level a santa can produce lumps of coal out of nothing. When burned this coal will produce a low, steady heat.
Santa Sense V: At 9th level, the santa can unfailingly sense what an individual desires the most in his life by listening to his secret thoughts and whisperings. Often the santa will be able to learn the particular wants of an individual before that person will even recognize it themselves.
Fairy Feet: At 9th level, a santa can move without leaving a trail.
Extra Jolly: At 10th level, as Jolliness but the attitude of NPCs is shifted two times toward a more favorable reaction. Activating an extra jolly requires a full round as the santa gradually builds up from a wide smile to a rip-roaring belly laugh. This can be maintained for up to 2d4 rounds at a time, but requires an equal amount of rest to recover from aching sides.
Vanish: At 10th level, a santa can become invisible to all adults in a manner similar to the invisibility spell. However a child who has not come of age will always see the santa.
Ho ho ho...

nijineko
12-07-2009, 12:13 AM
i give you the official 3.5 version of "nicholas the gift giver":

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20011222x

perhaps not quite how i would have handled it, but still quite an interesting take on an old classic. be sure you scroll down to the end to get the extra goodies. ^^

tesral
12-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Hmm the racial limits do not seem appropriate as he is often referred to as a "jolly old Elf".

d-_-b
12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
In Denmark where I'm from we do not refer to Santa as an elf and his helpers are something more akin to (garden) gnomes than to elves as well. Also, while I find the examples given interesting I sort of think they're missing out on the quasi deity part of Santa. He is after all able to bend space and time so that he can visit one and all in the span of a single day which is something I don't see. Obviously there are problems with elevating a character to a prestige class which would make him into a deity but perhaps he or she could be required to be a deity in order to take the class.

tesral
12-10-2009, 07:39 PM
At least a zero level deity.

nijineko
12-11-2009, 12:36 AM
i would lean towards him having at least divine rank 0 as well. i'm not sure how to handle the matter of race. ^^ legend, after all, being flexible upon matters of gender, name, and virtually every other aspect of identity, it seems to allow much poetic and artistic license.

WhiskeyFur
12-14-2009, 04:07 PM
i give you the official 3.5 version of "nicholas the gift giver":

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20011222x

perhaps not quite how i would have handled it, but still quite an interesting take on an old classic. be sure you scroll down to the end to get the extra goodies. ^^

I love that one line in the PDF - "He even uses awaken on pets of vulnerable children, entrusting them to secretly watch over their two legged friends."

Downright sneaky AND good, I love it. :)

d-_-b
12-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Gender and Race wise I would set up little or no limitations. After all, Santa is about kind intentions first and foremost -to which our own worlds many differentiating santa myths testify. I would require that he be good aligned, though.