PDA

View Full Version : chapter 2 the journey pbp game

outrider
12-01-2009, 05:04 PM
The first day journey out is uneventful except for the cold that shows that a cold winter is approaching. The terrain is tough and difficult and saps your energy. The night is cold and clear. There are few sounds like owls and wolves in the distance.

As you move further into the valley on the second day, there are signs of things moving about. You notice orc footprints, Morgan had mentioned on the first day about the Night Scar tribe under the leadership of Melgnazh and there were also others who inhabited the valley. Your target lies beyond this valley.

The second day passes by uneventfully. the only excitement was the fish that were caught and eaten.

The next day, you catch the smell of wood burning in the distance. You find that it leads to a non descript hovel. There are animal hides hanging from poles outside the hovel. There is a raven who is perched looking at you.................

Spike
12-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Brendon looks around warily, searching for signs of Night Scar orcs. He dismounts from his warhorse, Cyan, and unslings his ranseur cautiously from his saddle, slowly approaching the hut.
Brendon scans the area for signs of trouble

Pieh
12-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Galmez stood his ground, keeping an eye on the raven. Might be a wizard's familiar, Galmez thought to himself, let's see what trap this fool walks into. He managed to suppress a cough, but it left him sore in the chest and wheezing slightly.

ZestyT
12-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Gorron scans the area and tries to think if he ever heard of stories of this "Night Scar Tribe" from his adopted Orc tribe. He grasps his greataxe in hand, knowing full well that orcs tend to not bother with asking questions first...

outrider
12-07-2009, 01:08 PM
the raven eyes brendan as if he were a possible morsel. he caws and the sounds echo about the area. A slight breeze comes up moving some of the animal hides. A voice rings out in a slightly high pitch

WHO BE YE THAT COMES INTO MY HOME.

Morgan quickly dismounts

and looks around

and spots a figure moving from near the edge of the clearing. It is a gnome.

Zeneak
12-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Izra slipped off from the main group the moment trouble was obviously brewing. taking out his Rapier and becoming hidden. searching for clues of danger among the trees and other such things. he had to be quiet through the snow and hope that his newly bought cold weather clothing which was mostly bleached leather and inward facing fur would keep him from being noticed. at least long enough for him to find the most important opposition from any ambush and try and remove the threat before it becomes a problem for the group. magi and clerics being his primary targets. the need to find a target, and be sure to notice pouches of componants or even a holy symbol on their person would not be easy. That is If he could find anything amiss in the first place.

Sneaking through the outskirts of the forest line for concealment.
gandering around the forest line and the village for an ambush

Pieh
12-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Galmez was calm, he was always calm in the face of danger. That was not the voice of a warrior he just heard and that meant that his skill at arms might not be the best course of action. "Lower your weapons, fools. Is battle always the first thing you think of? I would prefer to not have to waste my power reviving your fallen asses." With a sigh, and a cough, Galmez scanned the area looking for the source of the voice and anything else that he might be able to see.

Perception

Spike
12-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Brendon ignores the Oracle of Battle's ironic outburst and responds to the hail from the gnome, "We are a group of travelers passing through, and we saw the smoke from your hut and thought you might be able to tell us what trials may lie in wait for us here and perhaps share a bit of your warmth and food for some coin. My name is Brendon Arnsson."
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Brendon parlays (Diplomacy)
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Brendon parlays (Diplomacy)

outrider
12-08-2009, 04:45 PM
(( there is a map at the first posting. the gnome come from near the compass.))

The leaves part and the gnome walks out. He is about 3'5" and walks with a stick. he is wearing a leather vest, with some beads about his neck and has a dagger at his waist. He raises a hand. The crow flies to it.

He speaks" Welcome to my humble abode, my name is Neben and this bird is my faithful companion Obi." The crow bows to the group.

Neben speaks again. "Please, Im an old gnome and not very dangerous. I find that it gets rather lonely out here with only the night scars for companions and i dont find them friendly at all"

He begins to move towards the fire pit at a slow walk.

Spike
12-08-2009, 07:02 PM
"Well, if you're familiar with the Night Scars, then you know why we're so cautious Master Neben. We would gladly share your fire and your company for the evening."
Brendon holsters his ranseur on his mount, then walks over toward the elderly gnome and takes a place by the fire with him.
"My companions and I are headed deep into the Mortain forest. We have heard tales of these haunted woods, do you have any insight into these tales?" His words are well-practiced, but there is still a tell-tale trace of his exposure to dwarven culture in the almost sing-song tempo of his speech.

outrider
12-11-2009, 11:32 AM
the gnome walks over to the fire pit and puts a empty pot on the glowing embers. he stokes it back up to a fire and pulls out a spoon and begins to stir the pot. very quickly a delicious smell comes up and he adds some herbs and other things to the pot.

Please, come join me, I always make too much food for me to eat. I like to think that I am good cook though" He laughs at himself. "You skulking bout in the woods come join me. I don't bite."

"The mortain woods eh. They have beasties that live in there, mostly natural some not. There be a tower deep in the woods. It is made of stone and has a road that leads out of it for away. There is a clearing about the tower. Please join me in eating this meal"

ZestyT
12-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Gorron sits down and scarfs up his food like a hyena on a gazelle carcass. "Have you been in the woods yourself, Gnome? If you can show us the way to the tower then i can promise ya i wont let any 'beastie' *gorron starts bursting into laughter...hurt ya"

Pieh
12-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Galmez sat down next to Gorron and accepted some of the stew from Nebin. Bringing a spoonful to his nose, it smelled quite good, so he ate it. Then he ate some more, and before he knew it he had finished his bowl. "That was quite good, Nebin. You are an excellant chef. My lungs and chest even feel relieved, for now. You have my thanks." He suppressed a very minor cough and visibly relaxed. "Brendan, come join us, if you dont mind the company of a half-blood."

Spike
12-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Brendon looks up from the bowl he had been carefully trying to eat from without dipping his beard in the stew, though from the bits of vegetable in his beard it does not appear he's been very successful.
"What was that Galmez? I hardly think our host is a half-gnome, and even if he was why would I have a problem with him? Huh, must be an orc thing . . . "

Zeneak
12-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Izra appeared from the forest and walked with a confident stride up to the party. he didn't take a seat but he happily took the bowl from the gnome "Thank you very much." he said in a passive voice. his eyes watched the horizon while all others seemed to be turned inward. stirring his stew but not truly letting it's contents touch his lips. how horrifying is that was the case.. the whole expedition could be crushed with a few kindly given bowls of gruel.

outrider
12-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Neben laddles out some food to Izra and continues his conversation.

"The tower is the source of some of the strange creatures that live in the woods... The tower has been there since the previous age. One of the witchkings, probably Maria who apparently had contact with some of what are called the offworlders and decided to allow them to trade with her. Why they chose the woods is truly beyond my comprehends.
The tales I have been told is of flying ships shaped like dragonflies, fish and other fanciful shapes that would travel by air to the woods and dock to the tower that she had built. She would have various goods delivered to her. Apparently she didnít talk to the others of her order about what she was given. One day one of the strange vessels was docked there and exploded. The tower withstood the explosion but there were many deaths, including a tall blue skinned being according to the stories.
This apparently angered the strangers for the ships stopped coming and the tower was locked up. Soon there were reports of strange beasts in the woods, not natural and not from here. There is talk of giant rodents and other strange things in the woods. I have seen some of these creatures. The tower itself was said to have unloaded a final cargo which was never picked up.
The woods are a dangerous place to be my friends; I have entered into it occasionally looking for berries and such. I have seen some strange creatures; the rodents are large and have a stripe about their faces. There is also a blob like thing that is carnivorous that haunts the woods. That is before the tower itself.
The tower is about four stories in height and the walls are smooth, difficult to climb. At the top is a platform with a door to the interior."
The raven flies off and makes its annoying sound. Neben looks up and says "We have another guest"

LordChicken
12-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Antal Redhorn approached the group, from the forest, his hand on his head, he mumbled and grumbled as he walked up to the group. his red leather armor stank of old wine and mead.

"my greatest apologize fellows, I was held up by a most important affair, which has now been settled, and I thank you all for waiting" Antal said, before a moments pause, "oh my greatest apologize, Call me Antal, professional eccentric, at your service"

Antel moved his hand into his left belt pouch, and took a mild bow when he said 'professional', his eyes never looking away from the group.

OOC: nice to meet you, I believe I entered the right area at the right time, if not dele this,(or ask me to)

Pieh
12-14-2009, 11:33 PM
"Oh, great, he's daft." Galmez sighed, looking up from his stew. Coughing blood onto his fist, he looked to Brendan, "A friend of yours, I suppose?"

Spike
12-15-2009, 12:25 AM
"You know Galmez, if it's customary for your people to insult someone with your first words when you meet, then it's no wonder you're always warring with each other."
Brendon turns his attention back to the newcomer, who he eyes up and down.
"It's nice to make your aquaintance Antal, though I would like to know what and why you're here?"

LordChicken
12-15-2009, 08:19 PM
"No man no matter how small, wants to die poor" Antel said walking up to Bredon(and his horse, if hes on it) holding out his hand(hes a halfling, so it doesn't go up that far...) "so my friend, whats your name? I don't really mind why your here, but if you want some hands, am always willing to give one, as long as I get a fair share" Antel Said with a smile

"So lets crack this baby open, and see what squirms out.

See if heard about people coming out here[in a long time](knowledge Local)

ZestyT
12-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Gorron gives Brendan a glaring stare..."you're quick to judge Orcs...your people are no better, they just war with one another on an economic and totalitarian scale as well.".....Gorron continues scarfing his food...(his hair runs off to the side and a tattoo of dwarven runes is revealed on his neck...although despite the tattoo and his rugged orcish nature, he surely looks human)

Spike
12-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Brendon accepts the halflings hand from where he's sitting next to the fire, "I'm sure you can understand why we're suspicious of strangers out in these woods they have quite the reputation. But far be it for me to deny one the chance to prove themselves."
Brendon then glares back at Gorron, clearly struggling to keep his normally calm composure, "Speaking of which, the moment that orc savages took my family from me and made me an orphan, they proved themselves all they needed to to me; every one of them that falls under my hammer is one less blight that has to be purged from this land as far as I am concerned."

LordChicken
12-16-2009, 06:16 PM
"nuff bickering fellows, we got a lot to be done, if you wanna duke it out now ya can, but at least let me see if the door is locked, well we know its locked, I mean who wouldn't? Well as far as I see we got 3 plans of action:

1) look for a back door, if there is one, go threw
2) go threw the front
3) try and climb up the sides
and the ever popular, hold a death match out here between you two good fellows and take bets, am up for any of these"

Antel let go of his hand as he walked towards the tower, looking for traps
Perception VS Traps
Perception VS Anything Else

outrider
12-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Morgan looks at the halfling and says "May your site always be clear but we havent even gotten to the tower yet. Its still at least a day away. We are chatting with our host"

Spike
12-19-2009, 09:16 PM
"Well, it seems best we tackle this after a nights rest. Neben, would you mind if we camped here? We'll be setting out in the early morn for the tower."

outrider
12-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Neben smiles and says that "you may spend the night here if you wish. Just do not wander off by yourself in the dark. There are things that go bump in the night that you should not tend to by yourselves."

He gives off a mysterious chuckle and returns to his hut and Obi his raven perches himself just outside the hut.

You all hear strange noises in the night but it passes by uneventfully. It is again another cold morning when you depart.

((we move on to chapter 3)) unless there are some things that you want more information about.

LordChicken
12-22-2009, 12:24 AM
"Well I guess your right, no use rushin' when it may get ya killed" Antel Said, and set up camp.