PDA

View Full Version : Damn! DM/GM banned my action. Please explain yours...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Damn! DM/GM banned my action. Please share your story with the rest of us... Basically, what action/s have your character/s done that your DM/GM wont allow any more?

My example: Played in a campaign last year... it didn't last long. Well, my DM wouldn't allow me to liberate magic items from the dead saying it was an evil act. My argument: A God wouldn't want an item made to combat evil to just lay in a crypt to never be used again. Never mind the argument that the previous owner is dead and therefore will no longer have a need for said magic item, BID.

So as not in exclude anyone on these boards, any and all rpg players are welcome to share, just be sure to list specific rpg you are talking about.

So, what share you?

Oh, and a friendly reminder: Everyone has their own opinions... Respect them. Don't make assumptions, please. This thread is not here for debate. Share your stories... Please resist negatively commenting on others, for I have no wish for others to be discouraged to participate.

cigamnogard
12-01-2009, 06:29 PM
3.0 My epic levele bard10/fighter 10 challenged a god but but my DM ruled/banned my dirty fighting feat (d4 damage) would not apply in the fight.
Summation - the character lost by a couple of hit points. With the d4 missing each round I would have won. Left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Oh, here's one: Now i would always allow it but this particular DM/GM would not allow the combo class, Magic User/Sorcerer, stating it wasn't balanced (yes, i realize there is a rule out there that states you cant do it, but hey, i'm an old school player, 'nuff said).

My technique to keep things balanced: Whatever you could do, so could the baddies. It was so funny the first time my party realized just how dangerous that could be. Long story short, they got their arses handed to them. Ah, good times... and believe me, after that, they played smarter.

Here's another one: Had another DM that wouldn't allow big muscular fighter types throw little people (Gnomes and Hobbits) at or over anything in dire situations. Funny thing is, in an old campaign, throwing a Hobbit over a crevasse once saved the party. I guess it offended this particular DM, BID.

cigamnogard
12-01-2009, 08:12 PM
In my current campaign I neither allow the Book of Vile Darkness nor the Book of Exalted Deeds. Way too broken!

mrken
12-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Generally I don't force characters to not do something they want to do. I just let them suffer the consequences of their actions. Stealing from the dead, well, it's not nice, but you are right, the dead no longer have use for the stuff. But the dead guys brother seeing you wear the family heirloom around your neck? Well, he might have something to say about it. lol Fun times. :)

yukonhorror
12-02-2009, 10:33 AM
great story (should put it in my blog but been busy). My friend was polymorphed into a rat/mouse/rodent type creature and put into a cage with a large amount of other rodents. He wanted to rally a rodent revolution and swarm the evil magic-user.

DM didn't even consider the possibility.

Jackmoore
12-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Thats awesome! I am going to do that to my next rules lawyer

stonebreaker
12-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Thoth-Amon,
Was your DM/GM not allowing you to take magic items from dead PC's and dead NPC's. Any way you slice it it's wrong. Maybe your DM/GM is to worried about the PC's becoming to powerful in which case he/she was putting to many magic item's into the campaign to start.
Our current GM put's us on a clock. If we take too much time deciding what our actions are we lose our action in the round. It's not an unreasonable thing to do (we can get side tracked sometimes). The thing that i don't like about it is that it's arbitrary. There's no real clock so I have to wonder. What if he had a bad day or one of us look's at him funny will this clock speed up, slow down. Well you get the point I think.
Stonebraker

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Thoth-Amon,
Was your DM/GM not allowing you to take magic items from dead PC's and dead NPC's. Any way you slice it it's wrong. Maybe your DM/GM is to worried about the PC's becoming to powerful in which case he/she was putting to many magic item's into the campaign to start.
Our current GM put's us on a clock. If we take too much time deciding what our actions are we lose our action in the round. It's not an unreasonable thing to do (we can get side tracked sometimes). The thing that i don't like about it is that it's arbitrary. There's no real clock so I have to wonder. What if he had a bad day or one of us look's at him funny will this clock speed up, slow down. Well you get the point I think.
Stonebraker

A friendly reminder: Everyone has their own opinions, respect them. Don't make assumptions, please. This thread is for sharing stories, only. Share your stories... but please resist negatively commenting on others stories, for I have no wish for others to be discouraged to participate.

I chose not to give details for it would take this thread beyond its design. So you know, it was a crypt centuries old that was written into a module that offered a specific magic item that would save us later in the game. DM pushed his own personal religious beliefs into the game and we all died because of it. See how the details takes the thread beyond its original design?

To use your own words: Well you get the point I think?

Initial thread updated, & Game On!

BTW, my thief character would seriously disagree with your comment: Any way you slice it it's wrong.

DMMike
12-03-2009, 02:27 PM
I've had the good fortune of not having DMs that restrict actions. Maybe it's because most of the games, in which I've been, have had reasonable players who don't say stuff like, "This guy who's relating lots of plot to us is boring. I kill him."

There's a point, though, when a player becomes disruptive, and the DM should say, "that's not allowed."

I've done some nixing. Not of an action, so much as a class. Players aren't allowed to take Warlock (3E). It's not really fair, or game balancing, for a character to generate blasts and spells at will. Those types of characters are called gods. Strange thing is, I've managed to completely prevent a player from joining the campaign, due to nixing one class.

Datenshi_noh_Kai
12-03-2009, 05:14 PM
My DM is still upset with me after I surprised him with a "locate city nuke" with my wizard, lol.

He's completely banned that spell from our games now, but the look on his face it was well worth it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I've banned Detect Alignment of any kind since the 70's. This solved alot of problems over the years, especially with the goody-two shoes players trying to find fault with evilly aligned characters. They hated me for they couldn't justify killing other players w/o verifiable proof of their respective alignments. he, he, ...evil laugh continues.

I just told them that you better be damn sure he or she is evil or it is you that committed the evil act. Oh, did they hate that.

Dark
12-06-2009, 08:54 AM
great story (should put it in my blog but been busy). My friend was polymorphed into a rat/mouse/rodent type creature and put into a cage with a large amount of other rodents. He wanted to rally a rodent revolution and swarm the evil magic-user.

DM didn't even consider the possibility.

Now to me as a DM I would not only have given you a pat on the back for a brilliant idea I would have given a very nice experience point bonus as well for creative thinking.

nijineko
12-07-2009, 01:04 AM
i refer you to my post here (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=59981&postcount=25). recent conversation reveals that he caught on earlier than i suspected, but was impressed with my chutzpah in attempting this, and let it go this once. afterwards he let me know it was a one-timer, and that subsequent attempts would "tempt fate".

Dytrrnikl
12-07-2009, 04:45 AM
Well, as a DM, I banned boots of striding and springing after my first 3E campaign, as well as any other item that increased a character's base movement. Those damned boots got dubbed by the group as "Boots of Standard Equipment".

As a player, I got cursed - polymorphed into a Mosquito. No one was able to remove the curse. The only way to remove it was to to kill the wizard who cursed me. I came up with the idea of 'feeding' on a creature that carried some kind of incurable disease, that was fatal in a matter weeks - sort of like the Rosy Plague from the Demonwars Saga. Well, the DM said ixnay to that as my mosquito instincts began taking over and began having seek out animals and other less intelligent fare.

VileSin
12-12-2009, 01:38 AM
I tried to use Levitation on my Tenser's Floating Disc so I could just fly around in combat at will.

I shot myself in the foot for telling him the Disc evaporates if it leaves the ground by more than 3 feet.

I was that close ||