PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to cast a permanency spell fly on to your self?

Dr.Dead
11-25-2009, 09:28 PM
I was wondering if it is possible to cast a permanency spell so you can fly when ever you want with out casting the spell fly? If yes what is required to do so or can you tell me what page to look it up in the 3.5 player handbook? Im so cunfuse Because I finally have the gold but dont know how to do it.:confused:

liverole
11-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Look up permanency in the spells section of the PHB
(Fly is not allowed as standard by your GM may decide otherwise)

D20 Xanatos
11-26-2009, 01:49 AM
It looks like it will cost some XP although I'm finding it difficult to measure the XP cost of using permanency with fly. I could be wrong, but I think it will cost roughly 1500 XP.

d-_-b
11-26-2009, 05:45 AM
A cleric with the travel domain and the persistent spell meta magic feat would be able to cast fly with a 24h duration. You could also get a ring or some such...

Dr.Dead
11-28-2009, 09:59 AM
hey thx for the information bro's:)

D20 Xanatos
11-30-2009, 02:36 AM
As my username might suggest, I am a walking D20 encyclopedia. Feel free to send a message if ever a question should arise.

wizarddog
11-30-2009, 03:50 PM
That given, it may not be worth the XP or gold if all one has to do to end your little power with a Dispel Magic. You might be better off with a magic item, that way they have to target the item rather than just you.

D20 Xanatos
12-01-2009, 01:51 AM
You could always try buying "Falcon Spaulders" from the Arms & Armor Guide.

scars_of_carma
12-13-2009, 11:58 PM
That given, it may not be worth the XP or gold if all one has to do to end your little power with a Dispel Magic. You might be better off with a magic item, that way they have to target the item rather than just you.

Err... but dispelling a magical effect from an item only works once right? He could just use another charge+std action to activate it the next round... it's likely the ring or whatever has more charges then someone else has spells-per-day lol.

d-_-b
12-14-2009, 05:34 AM
In the case of a ring of flying made with a persistent spell it would not make much sense that the ring had more than one charge per day when the duration is 24 hours as multiple charges multiply the cost of creating the ring.

Swordnboard
12-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Doesn't this happen?

"If the object that you target is a magic item, you make a dispel check against the item's caster level (DC = 11 + the item's caster level). If you succeed, all the item's magical properties are suppressed for 1d4 rounds, after which the item recovers its magical properties. A suppressed item becomes nonmagical for the duration of the effect."

scars_of_carma
12-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Doesn't this happen?

"If the object that you target is a magic item, you make a dispel check against the item's caster level (DC = 11 + the item's caster level). If you succeed, all the item's magical properties are suppressed for 1d4 rounds, after which the item recovers its magical properties. A suppressed item becomes nonmagical for the duration of the effect."

I'm sure that's correct if its whats written in the book :)

In the case of a ring of flying made with a persistent spell it would not make much sense that the ring had more than one charge per day when the duration is 24 hours as multiple charges multiply the cost of creating the ring.

But you can use the ring multiple times per day correct? If it is just continually "on" as you say and you do not expel a charge each time you fly... wouldn't it be like walking around in zero gravity? lol ...the only reason I'm pointing that out is because lots of magic items are obviously constant effects and I don't see how a ring of flying is one of them...

For example a ring of protection is a constant effect... it wouldn't be much good if it wasn't. If you based its activation on a bazillion contingencies and it flicked on and off only as needed it would probably require a lot more magic and you would use up charges very quickly.

Similarly weapons, armor, all these things have constant effects. They only indicate they will cease to be magical if the object that's enchanted is destroyed or the enchantment itself is dispelled, but even then it's not actually dispelled its merely supressed for 1d4 rounds.

Does that mean the enchantment on a ring of flying supresses itself until you activate it? That's very convenient cause every other magical item that uses spell-like effects requires a charge to activate... wands of magic-missile, lighting bolt, etc. etc.

Any magical item that uses a spell-like effect should have a finite amount of magic unless it is a major magic item or some kind of relic.. I never got that about rings and certain wonderous items? I suppose the thinking behind that is if the magic can affect others, or harm them, against their will it must have charges... (except weapons apparently) Any magical item that is practically useful does not have charges.

d-_-b
12-14-2009, 05:45 PM
It is true that a fly spell with a 24 hour duration will let you fly when and only when you want to. You do not need to dismiss and re-invoke it over and over again. The trick with a ring of flying that is made with the (divine) persistent spell meta magic feat with one use that lasts 24 hours is that it is a cheesy way to cut 90% of the price of an equivalent ring with a continuous fly effect placed upon it. The catch is that you're screwed if some one dispels the effect, which would not be possible in the case if your flying ability was a continuous effect except in the case mentioned in the previous post by Scars_ .