PDA

View Full Version : a function in the site . . .

Nord_drache
11-20-2009, 08:35 PM
When I've received a new member notification, great . . .with one exception :confused:.

When the system gives distance away it is unrealistic. I just recieved one and the distance quoted away was 48 mi. Problem is 90% of the time one can't drive as the crow flies. This person lives in Toronto, so instead of 48 miles away from me here in Lindsay, they are 1 1/2 to 2 hours away.:confused:

Is there some way that distance away can jive better with actual travel distance? 48 miles can be a 45 minute drive and I'd guesstimate that would be Oshawa.

I don't know if this is something that effects other members or not. I don't even know if it can be fixed/changed.

So it was on my mind and I suggested it.

Jim

cplmac
11-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Farcaster would know definately, but I believe that the distance is solely based on milage and has nothing to do with actual travel time.

Farcaster
11-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Distances between two members are solely determined by the distance between the two lat/long coordinates. Driving distance would require quite a bit more computation, I fear. While it would be possible to display the estimated driving distance on demand, it wouldn't be practical for going through thousands of other members and seeing what their more precise travel distance would be when sending out notifications.

Nord_drache
11-23-2009, 10:02 PM
This is fine, I've always been told you don't know until you ask . . .
Like I said,

. . .
I don't even know if it can be fixed/changed.

So it was on my mind and I suggested it. . .

So I'll do what I keep doing check the place name before I get too excited :lol:

Thanks for the info,
Jim

nijineko
11-27-2009, 01:53 AM
how about a link to driving directions on the google map between the points listed for each member as their location. and a reminder in appropriate places to not put your actual address, but some nearby major landmark instead.