PDA

View Full Version : Last Remnants

GamerDave!
11-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Iím used to being part of a tight nit role playing group but they live too far away for me to make games on regular basis. I live in Mountlake Terrace and have a home with plenty of room to host games.

I am interested in starting a game of my own. I have tried to join games already in progress however I have not had much luck finding the right fit. I have also noticed that there are no Post Apocalyptic games out there.

So this is what I have, let me know what you think?

Intro:

Last Remnants

The year is 3017 and Earth has been ravaged by war! Much time has passed history of the events is still under much debate. Much of what happened varies depending on who you speak too.

Earth population is dramatically reduced! Only 70 million people are left on the planet. Much of Earth Resources is polluted and unsafe for normal human consumption. There are pockets of safe areas still capable to sustain life but safe being a relative term. The really good areas have already been claimed but if you are adventurous enough you might get lucky to find something not yet discovered.

But the wasteland is not to be taken lightly creatures have grown / evolved due to the increased pollution and poisons. Monsters roam the land again strong enough to kill the average human. There are rumors of even humans themselves turning into monsters but again these are only rumors.

Gangs have control of many areas and they fight often or pray on the weak and unprepared. There are some government agencies and groups of power in some of the larger settlements where the gangs are not strong enough to bother but they do not communicate well with each other and when they do often leads to more fighting; Even after all this human kind still have not learned to get along with each other.

While technology level used to be very high, Plasma cannons, Laser guns, force fields, Rail guns, Robots, and space ships! Much of it has been forgotten or is in major disrepair. For the equipment still in working condition the people who control it rule the land. Most Societies are reduced to old gunpowder guns and rockets while some only have sling shots, blow guns and catapults.

Robots and other mechanical devices still exist in one condition or another. They are often seen roaming the lands. They are often attacked for spare parts but there have been little to no reports of them attacking a soul, however some claim they take people in the middle of the night.

This war torn world is a terrible place but out of all of this is a chance for something more! Are you up for the challenge? Think you can bring peace to this world? Might you be able to build a civilization of your own? Is there hidden technology out there that no one else has found? What really caused the world to be the way it is?

Game System:
I am sure many of you are familiar with a PC Game Called Fallout? Well I have taken the time of creating a Fallout 3 similar system, it still needs some work but I feel this would be perfect fit for a game of this type. Yes I know there are other game systems out there and welcome other suggestions if what I have come up with doesnít work for the group.

I am thinking of playing like every other Saturday or Sunday, and I am also thinking about a player base of around 6.

So who thinks they might be up for this?

Laramon
11-20-2009, 04:36 PM
This sounds intriguing, especially if it's set into a Fallout-esque world. You don't need to reinvent Fallout if you want to use the fuleset; I bought the Fallout Trilogy (1, 2, and Tactics) some years ago and it came with the RPG rules on the DVD; even if I wasn't able to play with you I'd be more than happy to pass it on to you. It's not exactly like Fallout 3, but it's a good solid system based on the first 2.

I'll talk to 2 of my friends and we'll see what we think about it.

DarkMatterChris
11-20-2009, 10:56 PM
I am a big fan of futuristic and post apocalyptic as well as related surprise effects of what brought it about - radiation effect on humans and animals etc to create sub-societies and sometimes wildly different perspectives because of a different survival lifestyle. The more plausible the better but stretching an idea can have its amusements :)

The Feather Prince
11-21-2009, 12:04 AM
We're actually just getting into a Fallout game over in Bellingham at the local game room. Using http://www.scribd.com/doc/2563348/Fallout-PenPaper-A-post-Nuclear-RPG

It's pretty damn math heavy as is, so we're throwing out a lot of stuff, but on the whole, it seems pretty solid and hammered out.

GamerDave!
11-21-2009, 11:12 AM
You don't need to reinvent Fallout if you want to use the fuleset; I bought the Fallout Trilogy (1, 2, and Tactics) some years ago and it came with the RPG rules on the DVD.

It's pretty damn math heavy as is, so we're throwing out a lot of stuff, but on the whole, it seems pretty solid and hammered out.

Yea that was my impression of the system. so I am attempting to make something closer to fallout 3 with the rules written and the actual game itself as a guideline with a excel spreadsheet that does all the math for everyone.

While the system I am using is based on Fallout, the game itself will take aspects of many different Post Apocalyptic games and movies, maybe some horror thrown in for good measure.

MortonStromgal
11-23-2009, 12:05 PM
SPECIAL (The fallout system) is just a variant on GURPS which is a variant on HERO. Fallout 3 I think is a variant on BRP. If your comfortable with any of those you could go with that. I for one think your game sounds great but my time is full, hope you find some great players.

GamerDave!
11-25-2009, 08:41 AM
SPECIAL (The fallout system) is just a variant on GURPS which is a variant on HERO. Fallout 3 I think is a variant on BRP. If your comfortable with any of those you could go with that. I for one think your game sounds great but my time is full, hope you find some great players.

Thanks for the info, I considered doing GURPS as well, I am just not as familiar with it as a GM should be. Although I could always do a crash course.

hypanonymous
12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
This may be a dumb question, but why not just use a D20 modern / apocalypse system?

It would seem that there is a lot of source material supported by the D20 system and easily malleable to whichever setting you would wish to create? Actually, I believe there are several Fallout D20 conversions out there already in existence.

Fallout 3 is one of my all time favorite games. The mechanicís that the video game uses are percentage based, more or less, as is D20. For example, each point on a D20 represent +/- 5%, The ďGun NutĒ perk grants a +15 to small arms skill, +3 to a D20 conversion. It seems a fairly straightforward and easy conversion, plus every one is familiar with it.

GamerDave!
12-03-2009, 08:08 AM
This may be a dumb question, but why not just use a D20 modern / apocalypse system?

It would seem that there is a lot of source material supported by the D20 system and easily malleable to whichever setting you would wish to create? Actually, I believe there are several Fallout D20 conversions out there already in existence.

I did say "Yes I know there are other game systems out there and welcome other suggestions if what I have come up with doesnít work for the group."

im a pretty open guy and able to run a wide varity of games. I on occation attempt to create my own game systems because I enjoy doing it. however if there is a better wheel out there that the majority of the group wishes to play with and all the material is avilable for everyone I have no problem with it at all.

so which of the many d20 systems did you have in mind?

DarkMatterChris
12-03-2009, 10:50 AM
I think the D20 Modern could cover your needs. I myself wrote and use a character generator in MS Access. It only does single classes and only up to level 5 but it does so easily and quickly and uses the actual level calculations to explain how to use skills and abilities inline on the print-out. It also includes a how-to for D20 and an extrapolated martial arts addition to the abilities section that I wrote.

The main D20 modern is good and so are the related books. I think I have about 97-99% of the books on this system including my own personal favorite Dark Matter - as in my alias DarkMatterChris here - that came over from the Alternity System that was officially converted to the D20 Modern system.

That said - a homemade system can be extremely cool and perhaps you could hybrid?
--- Merged from Double Post ---
The main D20 System:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D20_Modern

Dark Matter campaign book:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark%E2%80%A2Matter
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Almost forgot, d20 Apocalypse:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D20_Apocalypse

hypanonymous
12-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Donít get me wrong, a home-brewed system sounds cool, Iím all about it. Iím tickled pink about a Pre-apocalypse group in my hood. If you are pulling a group together Iíd be more then interested in joining. (Iíll PM you my email.) I think DarkMatterChris pretty much summed up what I was getting at though, that a d20 based home brewed hybrid has a lot of pre-existing dimension to it to build off of and could be equally cool. Either way, Iím down. You just have to excuse us post-apocalypse D20 adoption zealots; the genre is a rare to find a group.

GamerDave!
12-03-2009, 11:58 PM
I’m open to a d20 but I would make some changes to it. I have worked up a d20 modern variation for a super hero’s game,

I am open to most game systems provided it doesn't have levels or classes. If it does have levels or classes that is probably what I would change.

That is like me asking what class and level you are in real life? If someone asked you that question you give them the finger or something, sure some game systems levels and class makes sense, like D&D. However some games need to have a different aspect to it.

There will be an advancement system with experience points but nothing like the level system of most d20 systems.

The system I have worked up is both simple and complex at the same time. I have made a excel character sheet that does the entire math for you. Once you choose your stats, you then spend points in skills and choose your equipment and bam you are ready to play.

It is a % skill system where a d100 is needed but I could easily change it to a d20 skill system. Trust me lot of work and thought has been put into what I have come up with.

I could take time to modify the d20 modern system I worked up for a heroes game to a post apocalyptic world it be easy enough.

Anyway I could go on but I think everyone should get a better idea now.