PDA

View Full Version : Number One all-time best Magical Weapon

Eryiedes
11-17-2009, 05:02 PM
No, this is not a japanese romantic comedy!
Whatever the fantasy gaming system....whatever the case.
The best magical weapon that any of your characters ever got a hold of....what was it?
I had just mentioned elsewhere that when doing AD&D module S2....that my DM let my character keep Blackrazor....but what about you?
Was it the Sword of Vecna?
How about Fedifensor?
Mjolnir?
What was the most powerful magical ancient weapon your character had chance to wield....and how badly was he screwed up as a result of it?

Peace & Light (...& Dented Anvils)

Farcaster
11-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I was never much into modules, so I'm not familiar with the magic items you're speaking of. What is "Blackrazor?"

outrider
11-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Stormbringer from deities and demigods. Blackrazor was a sword from a pretty good module which I cant remember the name of. It also had a trident named whelm.

agoraderek
11-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Blackrazor was one of three weapons stolen by the wizard Keraptis and stashed in his lab/dungeon under White Plume Mountain. It was a knock-off of Stormbringer.

Eryiedes
11-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Blackrazor was one of three weapons stolen by the wizard Keraptis and stashed in his lab/dungeon under White Plume Mountain. It was a knock-off of Stormbringer.

What he said

Blackrazor was the sword...a life stealer....don't hit any undead!
Wave was a trident that would drain 50% of target hp's via dehydration on any critical...but you had to swear loyalty to the sea mother...we figured that woulda meant Blibdoolpoolp, the kuo-toa goddess
Whelm was the dwarven thrower that always returned to the thrower and always did double damage if used by a dwarf..but if you weren't a dwarf, it started to make you think that you were, start growing hair in wierd places too

Arkhemedes
11-18-2009, 08:52 AM
The Greyhawk module Castle Ruins has some cool weapons in it. But the best, and most original of them, is an intelligent Staff of the Magi. Very cool.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-18-2009, 09:47 AM
+3 Vampiric Ring of Regeneration

Pushkins
11-20-2009, 12:57 AM
Stormbringer life stealer ranks up there but my adventuring partner had it

but for me it was a plain old Vorpal Long sword +2, not the coolest thing, but that sword with that character charmed the die, I took off so many heads with it

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-20-2009, 06:25 AM
+3 Vampiric Ring of Regeneration
I guess thats not really a weapon. Okay, here's a weapon that brings back fond memories and plenty of attacks by the Githyanki... their coveted Silver Sword.

Eryiedes
11-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I guess thats not really a weapon. Okay, here's a weapon that brings back fond memories and plenty of attacks by the Githyanki... their coveted Silver Sword.

Was in a Dragon magazine adventure into the githyanki realm on an astral sailor that our party encountered Fedifensor.....Unique Artifact Holy Sword....psionics was always an achilles heel for our party....gith always freaked the group out.
Silver Sword was VERY cool....LOVED cutting silver cords.

Peace & Light (...& Mind Blasts)

yukonhorror
11-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Stormbringer from deities and demigods. Blackrazor was a sword from a pretty good module which I cant remember the name of. It also had a trident named whelm.

WOTC reformatted white plume mountain for 3rd edition, and it upgraded blackrazor.

I was always partial to a holy avenger

gajenx
11-27-2009, 11:24 PM
My favorite weapon was one I received in a game. It was an intelligent sword that I think had some great high bonus to damage or what not, but I always had to force it and fight the sword to make it swing into anything with blood and icky stuff. The sword's spirit was hemophobic (fear of blood), hoplophobic (afraid of weapons), and manaphobic (fear of magic). I was the only one that used it and thought it a great weapon. since it could speak to others I taught it to sing and orate in high pitch squeals so as to annoy the enemy more than fight it.

The only other power it had was the ability to perform minor tricks of magic, though the sword called it minor miraculous pranks.

Needless to say the sword was horrible for combat but great fro RP stuff as I used the sword as a wand of cantrips/prestidigitation.

Dr.Dead
11-28-2009, 12:37 AM
the best magical weapon was 13 steel marbles that damaged people if they got with in 5 ft of me each marble did 1d6 points of damage so 13d6 points of damage per round basically but also sucked because it was'nt a cursed item but my character could not find the command word to stop the marble's. but it was cool.

DMMike
11-28-2009, 01:28 PM
How about the hand-star from Krull? That thing was pretty mean from what I recall.

Dytrrnikl
12-01-2009, 04:34 AM
Well, it wasn't one that was printed in any module as it was a homebrew item.

Ivae'ess - Only a full blooded elf or Chaotic Good or Neutral Good alignment could wield it. To everyone else it would be incorporeal, unable to be grasped. It's standard functioning was a simple +3 Thundering Long Sword. Once a week, if you knew and spoke the phrase "Fey Tel'Anon N'Corellon" the sword would transform you into a sort of Champion of Corellon (think Prince Adam/He-Man transformation). This entailed some temporary attribute buffs, a bonus to your base speed and jump checks as though you were wearing a pair of boots of striding and springing... the sword itself transformed into a +5 Vorpal Long Sword. The transformation lasted for a number of rounds equal to 3 plus your Charisma modifier. Additionally, it could only be used a number of times each week once for every character levels.

nijineko
12-02-2009, 03:56 PM
How about the hand-star from Krull? That thing was pretty mean from what I recall.

you sir, are referring to the Glaive, and a very handy weapon it was. here is a breakdown of my estimation of the stats for this minor artifact:

Exotic ranged weapon, probably did somewhere in the d10 to d12 range, or maybe d4-d6 per arm (five arms), maybe 18-20 threat range. grants proficiency. can be used in melee, though awkwardly. it is at least an epic item, considering the amount of damage and type of creatures it was able to damage. (at least one seriously epic level lord of evil type was killed by this... along with a number of minor baddies.) slashing damage.

retractable blades for easy storage. ^^

immune to heat/flame based damage (it was found in a stream of lava)

could only be wielded by someone with a worthy cause (and the person who reached in to grab it, and was worthy, somehow didn't take-or was healed of-the damage of reaching into the lava to get it....)

conferred telekinesis upon the wielder, usable only with the Glaive. great for using it at range and against stationary targets. (was used to cut through walls as well as creatures. )

if i recall correctly, it was able to block or deflect ranged energy attacks, maybe even physical ones.

all in all, very nice.

http://www.automatpictures.com/images/film_stills/krull.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krull_(film) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krull_%28film%29)

Malruhn
12-02-2009, 05:40 PM
I once created a sword for a player in my campaign that he had to adventure to actually forge.

Please keep in mind that this was original AD&D - pre-2nd Edition, where you had to have a +X magic weapon to hit various creatures - best being a +6 weapon (it could hit ANYTHING if you rolled good enough!).

The character was an 18^00 fighter that would have been a warlord in 3.5. Groqx (grawks) was a half-orc that prided himself in being the warrior's warrior, and while he did use his strength to great advantage, he also used his brains. All in all, a delight to DM for!!

The sword didn't do a damned thing.

It was officially a +0 sword that ACTED like a +6... no bonuses to hit or damage. All it did was ALLOW Groqx to hit anything he swung at, so long as Mr. D20 agreed with him. It did, however, have a direct link to his deity, Ilneval (or chosen representative) the orcan god of battle, as the character was VERY religious.

All in all, a damned fine weapon that didn't unbalance the game. I still rue the day I had to move away!!