PDA

View Full Version : Prosthetics as Fashion Statement

fmitchell
11-11-2009, 09:19 AM
I just read an interesting article by Aimee Mullins, who sees her amputated lower legs as an opportunity rather than a handicap.

http://gizmodo.com/5401408/is-choosing-a-prosthesis-so-different-than-picking-a-pair-of-glasses

Right now, she swaps legs depending on what she does: realistic legs for daily use, specialized legs for physical activities like running or hiking, and utterly unrealistic legs (e.g. wooden or clear plastic) as a fashion statement.

Is this food for thought for someone's near-future campaign? Or maybe far-future, with memory metals that shift from aesthetic to functional modes? And imagine these same concerns in a steampunk world.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-11-2009, 10:44 AM
There is prosthetics in WFRP (warhammer fantasy roleplay) and are seen from time to time. These are best made by the dwarves, BTW. After all, there is no such magical healing that will bring back a lost or maimed limb and most DM's wont allow players to quit just because their character lost an arm or a leg.

Now, regarding near-future and far-future, heck yeah! I use them in CGW (Classic Gamma World) and CT (Classic Traveller), and MgT, ranging from something a little more than nothing to super high-tech devices with programmable alloys, all depends. Yes, i realize that CT and MgT is near same.

Never played Steampunk. Heard good things.

Great thread, fmitchell.

Slipstream
11-12-2009, 03:27 AM
It could be interesting.

In real life however... if I lost an arm and got a replacement... I would go the metallic look. Prosthetics, while getting more real... are just creepy to me. I figure people are going to stare anyways, might as well give them something cool to stare at... so I'd want gun metal, copper, silver... maybe even some lights? :D Mod that sucker out! Great place to store a USB port too. lol

fmitchell
11-12-2009, 05:52 PM
BTW, here's another interesting article/rant from Aimee Mullins, about the supposed "unfair advantage" her running legs give her:

http://gizmodo.com/5403322/racing-on-carbon-fiber-legs-how-abled-should-we-be