PDA

View Full Version : D&D Mage...

MortonStromgal
11-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Yes I said it, I have convinced myself this is a great idea. All you need is the Monsterous Manual, a D&D setting of your choice, and a Mage book... The Horror! Seriously though anyone have thoughts on this. Right now I am thinking dark ages mage

cleric = celetial chorus
druid = old faith
wizard = order of hermes
fighter = ?
rogue = ?

What to do with the fighter and rogue though?

Bearfoot_Adam
11-04-2009, 05:15 PM
umm...what?....and why?

I guess you can always look at monte cooks world of darkness

Dimthar
11-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Monk = Akashic Brotherhood
Bard = Cult of Ectasy
Rogue = Virtual Adept
Fighter = Euthanatos
Druid = Dream Speaker

Which version of Mage are we talking about?? Old WoD?

Hmmm... I need some sleep, my mind is not working properly

:loco:

Sascha
11-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Druid = Dream-Speakers could work, though Verbena seem to gel a bit better
Rogue = Ksirafai (from the Sorcerer's Crusade), complete with the "we don't exist" mantra~

Fighter = Un-Awakened :biggrin: I kid, I kid~
Hard to strap the simple Fighting Man to a single Tradition, what with the way Mage handles niche protection (in that it, well, doesn't do niches, as DnD knows them; or at all, if the themes of the Awakening series are to be understood).

MortonStromgal
11-05-2009, 04:02 PM
My goal is to have a "D&D" that I enjoy. I haven't liked any edition of D&D... The worlds are ok but the reason I keep going back is the cool monsters. My favorite, the Monsterous Manual for AD&D 2e. So I figured why not marry it to a system I like (storyteller). Dark Ages Mage has 3 of the classes the question is what to do about the rest. :D

Bearfoot_Adam
11-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Well really your non magic classes can just be mortals. To be fair you might want to give them the full 7/5/3. Or are you trying to give all the d&d classes a white wolf supers equivalent?

Sascha
11-05-2009, 05:35 PM
... or at all, if the themes of the Awakening series are to be understood ...
Bah, that should read "Ascension," not "Awakening."

MortonStromgal
11-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Well really your non magic classes can just be mortals. To be fair you might want to give them the full 7/5/3. Or are you trying to give all the d&d classes a white wolf supers equivalent?

I'm not sure yet. With nWOD the fighting styles would at leased give the non magical characters something to do. A friend of mine suggested using vampire or werewolf powers for the non mages.

Bearfoot_Adam
11-06-2009, 12:39 AM
I would say the vampire disciplines would be best for fighters and rogues. Specifically Fort, Cel, and Pot. However I think a mortal can be just fine without them. Especially since there will be all kinds of talismans and fetishes and the like around that they can use. don't forget about hings like Numina, true faith (paladin)and hedge wizardry.

Bearfoot_Adam
11-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Another thought I had for your fighters and rogues is using Adventure! It's the Aeon Universe, not WOD. but the knacks in there are very human. Just enough to give a mortal an edge. Plus Adventure! was just plain cool. I always thought it beat Aberrant, and Trinity.

MortonStromgal
11-06-2009, 11:57 PM
I dont own it... yet! I'll check it out. Thanks!

mnemenoi
11-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Ars Magica could be adapted easily enough as well, especially 3rd edition (white wolf's)

Cbas10
02-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Well, I certainly did not mean to dive into this as my first post on these forums, but...why not?

I have been working on my D&D-esque fantasy game based upon the NWoD rules for quite a while now. From what I've been putting together, if you want to go along lines where you could have a mixed group of player characters, playing "low magic" works quite well. That way, you don't have an uber-powerful mage compared to a warrior type who just has merits and skills at his disposal. If a GM wants his Mage players to advance, the more mundane characters will either gather so many powerful skills that he becomes a demigod or will be forever overshadowed by the magical skills of the Mages (or both!).

Using a little bit of modified rules from Second Sight, you can come up with all sorts of varied and flavored groups that resemble various spell-slinging D&D classes...and can keep it sensible from the point of view of your setting. This is a good middle ground of having a customized game without having a game of 99% custom content that no player can just browse and look through on their own time when they pick up a book. Using bits and pieces from other WoD books allow for even more options without having to re-create everything on your own.

I do, however, use Mage: the Awakening for mining ideas and concepts. Magical weapons? construct them with the merits used for making Artifacts or enhanced/imbued items. That way, points and powers still stay relatively balanced (as much as things really are balanced in that ruleset).

Keeping more to the core World of Darkness rules allows for quite a customizable game...even though I love the idea of having the rest of the lines available for a really cool horror-fantasy game. Strahd may have been pretty cool, but having a band or relatively normal heroes facing an elder vampire's childer, ghouls, and legends around town can be just plain scary.

I digress. Looking at this idea from the standpoint of your Mage-oriented idea, using Second Sight with either an established fantasy setting or your own, you can take the types of magicians in that book as inspiration and re-create orders resembling anything from clerics of Bane to the Adamantine Arrow to Hollow Ones. I suggest going that route, so you can still have players with characters not playing mages on par with the magical ones. Also allows the GM to create situations and antagonists that are not always about magic magic magic....ech.

Yeah...I like to tinker with things a lot.

MortonStromgal
02-03-2010, 10:30 PM
We are just starting a Desolation game which is a Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy world with rules influenced by nWOD and Shadowrun 4e. Not sure how it will go but I really like what I have read. It uses a HEX system variation. The original HEX was used for Hollow Earth Expedition.

LordChicken
02-07-2010, 08:05 PM
has anyone read World of Darkness - Immortals? the purified could make a great tank, with the ability's of godlike healing, and the power to revive themselves, with high enough Chi,(there energy Stat) they can come back moments after death, (all be it with 1 HP, the rest aggravated)

Also a well designed blood bather can be a good tank, with regeneration and rise from the dead, he can get back up as long as his ritual is fulfilled and hes not too badly ripped apart.(not to mention if they have a difficult ritual, they can get godlike stats)

Body snatchers... they could work too...I guess...