PDA

View Full Version : Dead of the Night: Game Thread - Chapter Two

Pages : [1] 2

Arkhemedes
11-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Dawn comes early this day to the occupants of Ardmor's Inn and Trading Post. But it is a welcome dawn nonetheless, for the storm and heavy rains of the previous night have moved on, leaving behind the signs of their passage. All about, the land is wet and muddied and puddles of rainwater dot the drenched landscape. Though the sky remains gray and overcast, it is a welcome relief from the constant downpour that recently inundated the land.

The guests of the inn are allowed to sleep late however, due to the disturbing events that occurred inside the inn and deprived them of sleep during the night. When they do finally rise from their beds late in the morning, they are fed by Ardmor and his family. Then the grim task begins of burying the five guests of the inn who died the previous night, plus the body of the mysterious creature known to them as Rudvarien. This task is made all the more difficult by the muddy ground near the inn, where the bodies are buried. Varian presides over the burials and blesses the graves in the hopes that the bodies being laid to rest do not return to the land of the living.

Once this is done, Varian and Amber in particular, spend some time trying to identify the magic items found on the bodies and in the rooms of those they just buried. After doing this, these items are then divided among the five surviving guests, all of which did their part in killing the creature responsible for the deaths of the other five guests, not to mention the innkeeper's dog. By the time all of this is done, it has become clear that it is now too late in the day to get very far down the road. So the decision is made to delay their travels another day and set out from the inn on the following morning.

That afternoon then, Alden, Amber, Varian, Cissinei and Krac are gathered around a table in the barroom, taking a break and perhaps enjoying a meal or a drink.

Varian turns to Alden and says, "So Alden, I've been thinking about what you said last night, about the Kargat killing your mentor Wat. Can you explain this further? How do you know it was the Kargat?"

Azar
11-03-2009, 12:37 PM
"My master was killed by someone, or something." I think of the creature's face, emotionless, as he said those terrible words "Beware the Kargat!" "My master told me to beware of the Ka... Now I know what he meant. He never told me what he did to have the Kargat chase him, but he did live in a hut in the middle of nowhere. Now thinking about it, that's probably why. But there is only one thing I can do. I will kill them all... one day."

Arkhemedes
11-03-2009, 06:50 PM
"Hmm, I wonder," says Varian. "Did Wat ever speak about his past or give any clues about what kind of life he led before moving out into the forest all by himself? Did you ever get the feeling that he was hiding from somebody there, perhaps the Kargat maybe?"

Azar
11-03-2009, 10:04 PM
"Well, I know he was some type of warrior. He was a master with the bastard sword. That's really all he told me. He told me somethings about certain people he met during the prime of his life. That would be all... He was quite fascinated with my story though, parents killed by a vampire and all that." I stare down, thinking of that gruesome night, holding back emotions.

Arkhemedes
11-03-2009, 11:09 PM
"You know," continues Varian. "It has just occurred to me. Something very odd...In all the time that I've lived in Darkon, you are the only person that I've ever met that says they have lived in Darkon for several years, but was born and raised someplace else. Don't you think that's kind of odd? But you know what's even more strange? I can recall meeting people who said they came from other lands, but then years, or sometimes just a matter of months later, these same people claimed that they had lived in Darkon all their lives. Have any of you guys experienced this? Don't you think that's pretty weird?"

As those sitting around the table think about this, they all realize that the same can be said for them. Not one person there can think of anyone that hasn't claimed to live in Darkon their entire lives, and yet, they've all met people who say they came from other lands fairly recently. In fact, they also know of people who said they were from some other land, but then years later, would insist that they've always lived in Darkon.

traesin
11-04-2009, 12:02 AM
"You're right, that is weird," I say.

Arkhemedes
11-04-2009, 07:49 AM
"So, do you know of anyone who says they have lived in Darkon for years but haven't always lived here?"

Krac scratches his head and says, "Well, I can't say that I have."

Cissinei says, "Don't look at me. You know I don't know of anybody."

Marley117
11-04-2009, 09:02 AM
The door to the inn opens as I turn the handle, and the warmth washes over me, fighting back the chill from the outside. I gaze around the main room a moment before taking a breath and turning to close the door. My scale mail clacks and scratches as I walk in, my hand resting lightly on the pommel of my longsword.

The room is filled with a few people, mostly sitting around one table. They all look up, and I nod politely before moving to a table closer to the fire. It was a terrible day, and I surely didn't want to have to sleep outside again. My cloak is pulled around my head, hiding my short, brown hair, and more importantly my slightly tapered ears. Only my face can be seen, strong and serious. My eyes turn up slightly, and glimmer green under my hood.

Though seated I still cut a somewhat imposing figure. I am tall and broad shouldered, and move comfortably in the heavy armor I am wearing. In fact it barely seems to bother me at all.

I lay my hands on the table and lean back, closing my eyes for just a moment.

Arkhemedes
11-04-2009, 07:06 PM
A heavy-set man steps out of the kitchen door and into the barroom. He is balding on top but what hair he has is dark, as is his beard and mustache. He wears the attire of commoner and appears to be a man that is normally good-natured, though it seems by his expression that this has not been one of his better days. He spots the man that has just recently entered the inn and strolls over to him.

"Oh," he says to him. "I am so sorry. I did not hear you enter. My name is Ardmor, welcome to my establishment. What can I get for you? A drink perhaps? A room? How about a nice warm meal to warm your bones?"

Marley117
11-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I look up at the large man and give him a small smile. With a nod, I reach down at pull out my small purse of coins. “That would be great, sir. A drink, and food for now, and a room for later. “ I say, putting a few coins in my hand and standing to give them to him. I give a second small smile, disliking the attention of being waited on. I take my seat after he leaves, and go back to intently staring at the floor in between my knees. A nice meal and a long rest, that’s all I need.

Arkhemedes
11-05-2009, 07:33 PM
"Yes, of course sir," Ardmor tells the man. "I assume a glass of ale will be alright. It's my best seller. I'll get it for you right away. And I'll have some of my wife's stew and bread brought out to you. Oh, and when you're ready for your room, just let me know. You'll have to sign the register at the front desk, then I can give you a key." Ardmor walks off towards the bar and as he does so he calls out towards the kitchen, "Imogen, we have a customer."

The voice of a young woman can be heard from beyond, "Coming father."

A moment later, a young woman, Imogen, comes out of the kitchen with a bowl of stew and a plate with bread on it. She is an attractive girl of about seventeen with long dark hair. She delivers the food and drink to the newcomer. As she does so, she looks over at those sitting around the other table, making sure to give Alden a smile, and says, "I'll be right with you all." Then as she sets the food down at the table where the newcomer is seated, she looks at him somewhat timidly and says, "If you need anything more just let me know."

Meanwhile, at the other table, the conversation has grown silent, as those seated there have been observing the newcomer while trying to keep from being so obvious about it. But after the events of the previous night, one could hardly blame them for being a bit distrusting towards strangers.

Varian however, now suddenly aware of the awkward silence in the room, decides to renew their conversation. "So," he says. "As I was saying...Alden, Amber, do either of you know of anyone who claims to have lived in Darkon for years, other than Alden, but hasn't always lived here? I'm rather curious to know."

Again the answer is no for both Alden and Amber but Varian can't read their minds.

traesin
11-06-2009, 01:13 AM
I shake my head. "No. I don't know anyone."

Marley117
11-06-2009, 09:31 AM
I look up and smile at the girl. Maybe she was just shy, or maybe it was the way I was dressed, but she just seemed almost...afraid. Maybe I'm just paranoid. "Thank you." I say as she sets down the food. Steam rises from the food in front of me, and my stomach growls, urging me to eat. I pick up the spoon and take a giant bite.

The soup was delicious. I could feel the warmth all the way into my stomach. As I go to take a second bite I suddenly stop. The entire room is quiet. I look up and see a few of the people at the other table staring at me. The rest probably were too, judging from how all the talking had ceased. My mouth tightens, and not a small amount of anger flairs up. I have seen prejudice before, but I didn't expect it here, not in a place like this.

Suddenly their conversation restarts, and I calm back down. What is going on here? "Just don't like newcomers I guess." I say quietly to my soup, before taking another large bite.

Azar
11-06-2009, 05:36 PM
I look at the new man, and I say to everybody, "Well, when should we leave for Mordent? Today?"

Arkhemedes
11-06-2009, 07:09 PM
"Today!?" says Krac. "Are you crazy? It's almost dusk! You don't want to go out when it's about to get dark!" Krac looks at Varian. "Are sure you cured him? I think he musta got his brains scrambled or something."

"Now Krac," Varian says. "No need to be mean." Varian turns to Alden and says, "But once again, despite his rudeness, Krac is right. Don't you remember? We already agreed to set out tomorrow morning. It's just too late in the day today. Besides, if we time it right, we might be able to catch a ride on a merchant barge up the river and save ourselves some walking. Although I do admit, that I would like to be moving on as soon as possible. I just can't help but wonder. If it was the Kargat that killed your master, perhaps the Kargat is interested in you as well. It seems to be awfully coincidental that Rudvarien gave you a warning about the Kargat not long after your master did too. It also seems to be rather coincidental that the only magic item he was carrying, but for some reason wasn't using, was a bastard sword, the very same weapon that your master trained you in. Maybe I'm just being a little paranoid here, but there are just too many of these "coincidences" for my liking. Don't any of you agree with me?"

Varian stops talking at this point, suddenly realizing that perhaps he was just now speaking a bit too openly and loudly. No doubt the stranger at the other table heard every word he said. Following a look from Cissinei that basically read as, "Shut up, blabber-mouth," Varian turns towards the stranger at the other table, gives him a slight smile and a quick little wave of the hand as if to say, "Hey, how's it going?" then says a silent prayer to Ezra that he is not a member of the Eternal Order, or even worse, the Kargat.

Azar
11-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I sigh and say, "Yeah, your right. I guess I just wanted to get going as fast as possible. I don't want to stay here again tonight... not that I have anything bad to say about the food, or the people... it's just... I've seen enough death in one night. I just don't want anything to happen again."
I look down and take a deep breath, "I wish my master was here. None of this would have happened. Him and I would still be in that little hut, training away, trying to make me a great soldier."

traesin
11-07-2009, 04:27 PM
"No one wants another night like last night." I say quietly.

Marley117
11-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Snippets of conversation float from the other table as I continue to nibble away at my food. The word 'Kargat' catches my attention, and I perk up. My eyes dart up from my food to stare at the other table with suspicion, and I am acutely aware of the weight of my sword that hangs from my side.

I listen to the tale end of the conversation before the man looks up, obviously aware that he was no longer being quiet, and gives me a small wave. I nod back at him politely, my jaw working on a piece of the bread. The second man chimes in, and his voice sends a chill down my spine.

" I've seen enough death in one night. I just don't want anything to happen again."

I blink for a moment, chewing slower, then look down sharply. Death? Rudvarien....WAS carrying? What is going on here?
Things slowly open up as I eaves-drop. Something went down here that most likely ended in the death of Rudvarien, whoever that was. Did he die defending? Or was he bad? Did these people kill him?

I push the thoughts away as best I can. These aren't my problems, and from what it looks like and sounds like, they aren't Kargat, so it is really none of my concern. The soup and bread fills my vision as I do my best to tune the other table out.

Arkhemedes
11-07-2009, 07:27 PM
"I agree," says Varian to his companions in a lower voice. "Perhaps then we should be a little more aware of those who take shelter under this roof with us tonight. And I for one am suddenly a bit concerned about strangers who keep to themselves..." Varian, with his back to the newcomer rolls his eyes in the stranger's direction. "...if you know what I mean." He looks at Amber and makes a subtle suggestion. "Maybe he would be willing to open up a bit if he were approached by someone with a pretty face."

traesin
11-07-2009, 07:45 PM
"Me!?!" I say with a slightly paniced look. "I....I don't know. I wouldn't know what to say..."

Arkhemedes
11-07-2009, 08:01 PM
"Just smile at him and invite him to join us," Varian says quietly. "I'll do the talking if you'd like. Otherwise I guess I could give it a try."

traesin
11-07-2009, 08:08 PM
"Well okay. I'll give it a try." I take a deep breath and stand up and walk towards the stranger.

Marley117
11-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Hushed whispers cross the room, but I try as hard as I can to ignore them. Hushed secrets accidentally known are just as dangerous as secrets that are sought. Suddenly one of them, a girl, rises and walks towards me.

Please turn. Please turn. Damn!

She strides purposefully toward me, and I gulp my bite too quickly, trying to clear my mouth. Again I can feel the comforting weight of the sword on my hip, but push all thought of touching it aside. The nervous habit would just cause trouble. Instead I smile as she approaches, praying that something isn't going on.

traesin
11-09-2009, 03:41 AM
I look at the stranger and smile shyly. "Hi. My name is Amber. May I sit and join you?"

Marley117
11-09-2009, 09:31 AM
"Of course," I say, gesturing for her to take the seat opposite, curiosity burning in me along with quite a bit of tension. The conversation I overheard was very close to heresy, which wouldn't bother me in the least, but it always paid to be mindful who you trusted. "Why did you leave your friends?" I ask as she sits.

traesin
11-09-2009, 02:38 PM
"Well I was sent to spy on you," I say with a smile and a wink. "Really I came over because you looked alone and slightly scared. I just thought maybe someone to talk to would help. Besides you never meet new people if you just stick to the people you know," I say on an upbeat note and a smile.

Azar
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I think to myself, "I shouldn't have said anything too loud. He may be a Kargat... could he be checking up on Rudvarien. I am going to have to keep an eye on him." I look at Varian with a worried look and whisper to him. "Who do you think this guy is? He rubs me the wrong way. You know what I'm saying?"

Marley117
11-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I let out a snort of laughter at her straightforward answer. Honesty was not always expected. She didn't look like much of a spy, at least not a serious one. But it wasn't a good habit to start judging people wrongly.

"You are right," I say, putting down my spoon and extending my calloused hand, the hand of a swordsman. "I am Leon. Sorry if I appeared rude. It just pays to be...a bit cautious. More so now." I look over at her friends who are whispering and watching us closely, one in particular. "Your friends don't seem to keen on meeting me though."

traesin
11-10-2009, 02:44 PM
I take his hand and shake it. Then sigh a little at the mention of my friends. "You will have to forgive them. We...we were attacked last night. The inn was I mean. We... Some people died last night and...It's been hard on us. All of us." I look down at the table with clinched fists and start to slightly shake. "I barely knew them but in that short time..." Tears start rolling down my face and I try not to sob.

Marley117
11-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Oh man.

I lurch to my feet and place a comforting hand on Amber's shoulder, my face drawn with concern. "I am very sorry. I didn't know. I wish I had come sooner...I.." I look down at the wooden table, cursing myself for the lost time. If I had been here maybe I could have helped.

"Come on." I say, leading Amber back to her table. I look at the group and shrug helplessly, my arm still wrapped around her.

Arkhemedes
11-10-2009, 08:35 PM
In response to Alden's question, Varian says to him, "Yeah, I know what you mean."

But those at their table continue to watch out of the corners of their eyes and try to listen in on the conversation between Amber and the newcomer. When they finally get up and walk over to the table, with Amber visibly crying, Varian suddenly becomes very concerned and he stands up. But it is clear that the newcomer is trying to comfort her. So he says to the two of them, "What...what is wrong? Amber, why are you crying?"

Cissinei likewise gets up and walks over to Amber, placing her hands on her arm to help comfort her and guide her back to a chair at the table.

Azar
11-10-2009, 09:43 PM
I stare at the man, a slight anger comes upon my face. "For his sake, I hope he didn't start this."

traesin
11-11-2009, 12:24 AM
"I...just...I'm sorry," I say as I sit down. "It all just got to me." I take several deep breaths as I try to calm back down. "The death and the magic...I...I wasn't...I'm sorry. Please don't be mad at Leon. He didn't do anything."

Azar
11-11-2009, 12:54 AM
I take a sigh of relief, "I'm glad that he didn't start this." I look at Leon. "So, what brings you here Leon?" I raise my hand. "The name's Alden... pleased to meet you."

Marley117
11-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I help Amber sit down, and take the offered hand afterword. "Travels. Looking for work, and to maybe do a bit of good out here. Seems my legs take me all over." I say with a shrug. I look at the table again before quietly saying "I am sorry for the loss of your friends last night. I wish I could have helped. "

Arkhemedes
11-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Varian looks at Leon and says, "Well, those who died here last night we only just met yesterday. So it wasn't as if they were close friends or anything. Still, in the short time that we knew them, one in particular anyway, we started becoming friends and could have become very good friends. But friends or not, it doesn't alter the fact that last night was a very disturbing night and one that none of us are likely to ever forget. My name is Varian by the way. And this is Cissinei and Krac," Varian says as he indicates the other two seated at the table.

Cissinei and Krac both nod at Leon and say, "Pleased to meet you."

Varian, who has been trying to get an idea of Leon's character, addresses him again and, deciding to take a chance, says to him, "So Leon, I assume you may have overheard me say something about the Kargat a while ago. And...well, we have reason to believe that the Kargat may be after one of us. I don't suppose you happen to have run into anyone out on the road today whom you might suspect as being a member of the Kargat...would you?"

Marley117
11-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Leon nods at everyone, his face still partially hidden by the hood. After the question he gives a helpless shrug. " I had heard of the Kargat looking for people. That was part of the reason I set out. They..ah." He waves it off, not wishing to talk of his past. "Though I have heard rumors, nothing solid. I am sorry. "

Arkhemedes
11-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Varian looks at Leon with a concerned look. "You heard of the Kargat looking for people?...Well, I guess there's nothing unusual about that. But...I don't mean to pry but, why was that a reason for you to set out? Do you have any concerns of the Kargat yourself? And what kind of rumors have you heard?" Varian then, apparently realizing that he might be asking too many questions, waves a hand in an apologetic manner and says, "Sorry about all the questions. It's just that the Kargat is not an organization one should take lightly."

Azar
11-16-2009, 09:27 PM
I stare at him and say, "If you're hiding anything from us, it won't be a good idea, for your sake. We took... care of one last night and I want to know what your deal is, for... safety purposes of course." I stare blankly into his eyes, and try to bring on a sense of hostility, to show I'm not playing around.

traesin
11-17-2009, 01:52 AM
I sigh a bit. "Obviously these guys are paranoid, with good reason. We just want to be sure that we don't have a repeat of last night." I smile at Leon.

Shikaku
11-17-2009, 10:21 AM
A cold wind fills the inn as I swing the door open. My dark brown cloak is pulled tightly around my figure. I wipe my feet before taking a step in, and take note of the people sitting around the tables. Before closing the door behind me I make three distinct clicking noises with my tongue, looking back outside and waiting. "Make it fast." I state bluntly. After a few moments, a dog standing at 2'3" at the shoulders ( 2'7" with head) a deep brown, with brownish tanish markings on his face and tannish brown with a white inset on his chest and stomach steps in. I tower over the dog, at a bit over six feet tall, "Took you long enough!"

I wave to the people inside, as if to apologize for allowing the cold air in for so long. In doing so it is seen that attached to my arm is a gauntlet with a few menacing spikes. My hood covers all but a slight bit of my chin and neck, and is left on.

The dog lets out a "Hruf!", a quiet but audible notice that he sees everyone. "Shhh," I hush him.

Marley117
11-18-2009, 02:42 PM
"You are right to be weary. The Kargat isn't something to be taken lightly. " I glare back at Alden, not backing down from the stare. There is a moment of pause before I open my mouth to answer him. "They were looking for someone near my home. My parents were killed in the war, and I was taken in by my kin." I pause again, thinking. "I just thought it best to leave. I needed to get out anyway. "

I stop, midthought as another patron enters. A dog follows close at his heels. I watch along with the group, then turn back. "The hood does look suspicious I suppose." I say, pulling down my hood. It falls from my shoulders, revealing my close cut brown hair, handsome face, and slightly tapered ears. My jaw tightens as if by reflex. "May I sit?"

Arkhemedes
11-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Varien says, "By all means, please, have a seat." He then glances over at the newcomer with the dog who just walked in the door and pauses for a moment before continuing on with Leon. "You say your parents were killed in the war. Well, in that case you and I have something else in common. My parents were also killed in the war." He then looks at Alden. "So you see. It seems that we have another reason to welcome our new acquaintance to our table."

Ardmor strolls out of the kitchen door about then and seeing the stranger with the dog, walks up to him and says, "Well met traveler. I am Ardmor and this is my inn. My but you have a nice dog there. I am rather fond of dogs myself. Unfortunately I just recently lost mine. So what can I do for you? A room perhaps, a drink, or maybe a nice warm meal?"

Azar
11-18-2009, 10:17 PM
I calm down and say, "Well, I just have to be weary. My master was killed by the Kargat, and if you where one... well, I wouldn't want to think about that. It would get messy. You seem like a strong warrior." I smile at Leon. I look over at the new person who walks in, my gaze now towards him.

traesin
11-19-2009, 01:27 AM
"I left home 'cause I've been marked," I say very quietly.

Arkhemedes
11-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Varian turns to Amber with an expression somewhere between surprised and puzzled. "Excuse me. What was that? Did you just say you've been marked? What do you mean by that?"

Shikaku
11-19-2009, 06:22 PM
"Pleased to meet you Ardmor. It's rather frigid outside, I am glad that I came upon this establishment. It seemed like a warm place to stay. May I get a room, an ale," I look down at the pooch, "and two stews please?" The dog makes a whining noise, and I pat him on the butt. "No plain meat for you today, my friend."

I look around the seating area, and notice a large group of travelers sitting at one of the tables. I remove my hood revealing my long Autumn orange hair with long, pointed ears protruding through the flows of my hair. I nod at my companion, and together we pass by the group of travelers, taking a seat just off the side of them. The dog rides along my heels, and as I take a seat he, too, takes a seat next to me. I rub his head, looking rather reminiscent of days past, and seem to slip in and out of a day-dream like state.

Arkhemedes
11-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Ardmor smiles at the elf and his dog and says, "When you're ready just sign in here at the registry and I'll give you a room key," before going behind the bar to pour an ale for him. While he does so, he calls out to Imogen to fetch two bowls of stew.

A minute later a pretty dark haired girl of about seventeen comes out of the kitchen and delivers the stew to the elf and his canine companion along with his ale. As she gives the elf a pert smile she says to him, "Just let me know if you need anything more." Imogen then turns to the other table and checks to see if they need another round of drinks.

Marley117
11-19-2009, 10:04 PM
I smile and nod knowingly, though it isn't exactly a joy filled expression. "I know what you mean. It pays to be cautious. " I cross my hands on the table and lean forward, before rubbing the back of my neck. "Some say I am. I know my way around a blade a bit. Comes with this life I suppose." He gives a non-commital shrug and eases back, oddly at ease even fully armored. I turn as everyone else does to look at Amber. "Marked?"

traesin
11-20-2009, 03:02 AM
I take a deep breath and look at my companions. Got to tell someone. "I had to leave my home because I have been marked. That's why I can cast magic. The mark gave me the ability. My family was afraid that my village would shun them, so I left. I didn't want to hurt my family." I pause a moment "That's also why I didn't say anything about being able to work magic. It's not natural, but I can feel the fire of magic burning in me. It whispers to me in my sleep. It calls to me. I feel a sense of wonderment and delight when I let it out of me." I say with intensity. "And yet...it seems wrong."

Arkhemedes
11-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Varian looks at Amber and says, "Was it the mark that gave you the ability, or maybe something else? Perhaps the mark is simply a symbol of some kind indicating the real source of your magical abilities. You spoke last night of wanting to go with us to Mordentshire and the church of Ezra there in order to seek answers. Does this have anything to do with what you speak of now? Maybe if you found some answers, your magical abilities would not seem so wrong."

Shikaku
11-20-2009, 04:30 PM
I take a whiff of the stew that I am given, and take a large spoonful. Excellent. The taste is better than I had expected, and it pleases me with each bite. I look around the dining area then down at my dog. He seems to be enjoying it more than I. Good thing I saw the glow of light coming from this place, I thought I would never get out of the cold. The elf finds that his thoughts are being mumbled aloud and abruptly stops, shifting his eyes to see if anyone caught him. Ah well, no matter. I allow myself to smile at my mishap, and give a pat on the butt to my dog.

Azar
11-20-2009, 10:57 PM
I stare at the strange man, and I whisper to Varian, "Hey, Varian, isn't that an elf?" I look at him with curiosity.

Arkhemedes
11-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Varian whispers back to Alden, "Yes, of course it is. You must have seen many elves before living in here in the Mistlands. In fact, Lif was an elf. So why is that one any different?" Varian turns to look at the elf at that point, who just happens to be glancing over at him and, realizing it might look as if the two of them were talking about him, he smiles at the elf and gives a slight wave of the hand as if to say, "How are you?"

traesin
11-21-2009, 09:53 AM
"The mark is of Ezra." I say reluctantly. I then look at Alden as if he is being rude and as Varian turns towards to the newcomer and waves, I smile at him too.

Azar
11-21-2009, 10:20 AM
I whisper back to Varian and say, "Well, I lived in a hut all my life really. I don't remember most of my childhood, before I lived with Wat, and about Lif... well, I was wanting to talk to you about him, but we where busy with... you know. I smile a bit, "I probably just made an ass of myself there, but I really don't know much about the races."

Arkhemedes
11-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Varian turns to Amber again. "Ezra you say? I don't suppose I could...no I guess not. Sorry, I don't need to see it. I'll take your word for it." Now having embarrassed himself, Varian quickly moves on hoping no one has taken notice. "But if Ezra has truly blessed you with her symbol and her powers, then it is an honor for me to have met you and it will be an honor for me to travel with you. And I can assure you that you have no reason to feel wrong about using those powers...as long as they are used in a way that would please Our Lady of the Mists, that is. Never mind what superstitious folks who do not understand have to say about it."

traesin
11-21-2009, 09:37 PM
"Well thanks...I think. But please remember that those 'superstitious folks who do not understand' are the people I have known all my life, including my family. And for that matter...me"

Marley117
11-21-2009, 09:47 PM
I jump in quickly. " I don't think he meant any offense Amber. Actually I must admit I am one of those folks, but I feel better having someone marked by the gods around me. " I shrug, a small smile on my face. "You can call me superstitious, but I'm just saying. It eases the mind. "

Arkhemedes
11-21-2009, 10:06 PM
"Yeah, sorry", Varian says. "I don't mean to put down anyone's family or friends...or anyone for that matter. I just get so annoyed when I think about all the ignorance I see in the world around us. I mean, if only people knew what was really out there, I think...well...on the other hand, perhaps it's best that most people don't know. Ignorance does have it good points too I guess."

traesin
11-22-2009, 01:28 PM
"It's okay. I'm just really uneasy about the whole thing."

Shikaku
11-23-2009, 01:38 PM
I look at the group at the table next to me and smile. Finishing up my stew, I pick up the bowl that my dog had been eating from and is now licked clean. I set it on the table, take another swig of ale, and head to the registrar. Upon signing my name in, I return to my seat. I stroke my dog's neck and give him a bit of pampering, then lean over to him and say something inaudible. I give him a pat and upon doing so the dog meanders over to the table of travelers, tail wagging.

Arkhemedes
11-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Cissinei looks down at the dog as it wanders over to the table. "Oh what a sweet dog", she says. She picks up a small piece of meat left over from a bowl of stew she did not finish and feeds it to the dog. "Here you go sweetie." She then looks over at the elf as she pats the dog on the head. "What's the dog's name?" she asks him. The dog appears to have taken a liking to Cissinei as he continues to look at her and wag its tail.

Shikaku
11-25-2009, 02:00 PM
"Sebastian," I reply with a smile. "He has been my only companion for much time now."

Arkhemedes
11-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Cissinei looks back down at the dog and pets him as she says, "Well hello Sebastian. My name is Cissinei." She then looks up at the elf and says, "And what might your name be?"

Shikaku
11-27-2009, 11:56 AM
I take my eyes off Cissinei and scan the group over. "Zeliex. I have traveled my way here from a town called Delagia, though you could say my...home.. is Sidnar." Turning back to Cissinei I ask, "What brings this group here?"

Arkhemedes
11-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Cissinei becomes uncomfortably quiet at that point, as she clearly does not know how to respond to Zeliex's question and is too embarrassed to say so. She looks over at Varian as if to divert the question on to him.

Varian takes the unspoken cue and, turning to the elf, says to him, "I believe we have all found ourselves in this place for a variety of reasons and before yesterday, none of us knew each other. My name is Varian, by the way. And this is Alden, Amber and Krac", he says as he indicates the others at the table. "You have already met Cissinei. And Leon here, we just met a short while ago." Then looking back and forth at both Leon and Zeliex he continues. "With the exception of Krac, we have all agreed to travel together as we make our way to Mordent, again for various reasons. If either of you are heading that way, I am sure I can speak for the rest of us when I say that you would be more than welcome to join us."

Marley117
11-29-2009, 06:29 PM
I shrug, then smile and pat my sword affectionately. "I would be happy to join you, and I'm sure you won't mind having another blade to help watch your backs on these roads. "

Azar
11-29-2009, 11:10 PM
"I'd like that. It seems that I was the only good one with a sword here until you came along Leon." I smirk a bit.

Arkhemedes
11-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Varian grins and looks at Alden. "I suppose what you mean to say is that you're the only one good with a sword, not the only good one with a sword. After all, I like to think of myself as a good guy with a sword as well. I'm just not as good with it as you."

traesin
12-01-2009, 01:19 AM
I giggle a bit.

Shikaku
12-01-2009, 10:10 AM
"Mordent, eh? That is quite a bit to the west, is it not? Well, I'm afraid I am headed in the other direction. But thanks for the invitation anyway."

Azar
12-02-2009, 12:02 AM
I laugh a bit, and say, "Yeah, I guess your right." I look at Zeliex, and respond, "Well, that's too bad, but I do wish you the best in your journeys."

traesin
12-02-2009, 08:53 AM
I look over at Leon "I'm glad you will be traveling with us."

Marley117
12-02-2009, 09:51 AM
"I'm glad to be coming along as well. " I say with a smile, pulling my hood back up as I settle back into the chair. "When do we set out?"

Arkhemedes
12-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Varian answers Leon's question, "Tomorrow morning as soon as we can get ready to go. With any luck we can find a river barge headed west that's willing to take on a few passengers."

And so it is decided. The next morning, barring any unforeseen changes, the five adventurers, Alden, Amber, Varian, Cissinei and Leon, will set out from Ardmor's Inn and Trading Post and begin their journey along the Vuchar River through the Kingdom of Darkon and on to the coastal lands that lay beyond. For the remainder of the evening then, the five of them spend much of the time talking, along with Krac and Xeliex, about various subjects such as what they might expect to encounter in their travels to Mordent. Those who spent the night in the inn on the previous night also relate to those who did not, what exactly took place last night (telling them the tale which took place in Chapter One), and describing to them of all the horrific events surrounding Rudvarien the doppleganger and the terrible crimes it committed.

By the time this disturbing tale is completed, and all those gathered in the barroom are sufficiently spooked once again, it is late in the evening and a general consensus soon determines that it is time for all to call it a night and turn into their rooms. There it is hoped they may fall into a restful slumber unhindered by nightmares and visions of things best left unsaid, brought on by the knowledge of recent events.

For some, this hope is realized and the night passes without much difficulty. For others though, their dreams are haunted by disturbing images that not even the intoxicating effects of alcohol are able to keep at bay.

Alden, for example, is visited numerous times by the sight of Wat calling out to him, "Beware the Kargat". Then his face becomes twisted and turns into that of Rudvarien or Goddle, who continues to repeat, "Beware the Kargat." Then, when it turns back to Wat, he suddenly hisses and turns on Alden, revealing the fangs of a vampire as he does so.

Amber likewise dreams of the people of her village as they stand over her hurling one accusation after another at her, calling her a "witch", the "cursed one", and worse. The angry mob eventually turns violent and sets her family's home on fire as she is forced to flee for her life.

By the time the sun comes up the following morning, the five adventurers are glad to have gotten through the night and eager to be on their way, despite the fact that some of them did not get as much sleep as they had hoped. They all gather one last time in the barroom of Ardmor's Inn for some breakfast.

Ardmor comes to their table as they're eating and tells them, "I must thank you once again for all your help. My family and I would not be here today if not for you. And I want you to know that if any of you come this way again you are welcome to stay here free of charge."

Imogen is likewise sad to see them about to leave. She tells them, "I will miss you all. And I wish you the best of luck in your travels." She gives Alden an extra long look and a smile before turning to leave.

Azar
12-05-2009, 12:43 AM
I blush, and say my goodbye's. I keep glancing back at Imogen. As I grab my gear I say to everyone, "The dawn has come once again. May the Morninglord protect us." I take a deep breath and say, "Lets go. We have a long way."

traesin
12-05-2009, 12:25 PM
I pick up my gear and give hugs to those who are staying behind then start heading towards the door.

Marley117
12-05-2009, 08:34 PM
I have all my gear ready, my armor on and my pack weighing my back. I give the family in the inn a quiet farewell, not quite as attached to them as my new companions. I leave them to their goodbyes and stand quietly outside the inn, looking around in the morning light.

Shikaku
12-07-2009, 02:26 PM
The noise from downstairs wakes Sebastian up and causes him to get antsy. He paws at the door for a few minutes and whines a bit, waking me up. As I look out the window, I notice that dawn has barely taken its setting upon the land. "Sea Bass!" I proclaim loudly, "The first chance we get to sleep in a nice inn, and you go and wake me up early!" It is about that time that I, too, start to wake up and can hear a commotion going on downstairs. "Alright then, we might as well see what the deal is." I prepare my items and equip myself with my belongings.

After a few minutes of collecting my belongings, I finally finish and put my cloak on. I open the door and Sebastian rushes out and heads downstairs. I also make my way downstairs to see that everyone is saying good-byes, and Sebastian is trying to get the attention of Cissinei.

"Good morning, everyone!" I continue, "It certainly seems that Sebastian has taken a liking to you, Cissinei. Before I fell asleep last night I thought of your offer, Varian. Perhaps I was wrong in declining the invitation to join you, as I assume there are at least a few political leaders tied with other lands? I may need information that they can provide."

Arkhemedes
12-07-2009, 08:22 PM
"Well," Varian says. "I'm sure that I speak for the others when I say that the offer still stands. You're more than welcome to join us. And I feel fairly certain that Cissinei and Sebastian would be quite pleased as well."

Cissinei smiles up at Varian with approval as she squats down to give Sebastian a vigorous rub on the mane, while Sebastian in turn wags both his tongue and his tail in delight.

"Come along, Zeliex," Varian continues. "I hope you don't mind traveling on any empty stomach. But the river is not far away, and as long as you have something to eat there in your pack, there will be plenty of time to grab a bite once we get there."

Arkhemedes
12-09-2009, 09:53 PM
The six adventurers, and the dog, set out then from Ardmor's Inn and Trading Post, and true to his word, it is not long before they reach the Vuchar River where a small pier juts out a short ways into the slow running current. Here, under the shade of trees that gather close to the water's edge, the group settles down to rest and wait, hoping a river barge will soon appear and it's crew will be obliged to carry them on their way down the river. It is a cool morning, but the sun occasionally peeks out from behind the cloud filled sky, and at least gives the illusion of warmth every now and again.

While the group waits, Varian decides to strike up a conversation by resuming a subject he started on the previous day. Apparently having given it some further thought over night, he begins by saying, "Leon and Zeliex, may I ask the two of you an unusual question? Well, first of all, before I do so, let me just say that I was talking with the others about this yesterday. And while it may seem to be a rather trivial matter, it is something that I, nevertheless, am somehow unable to dismiss from my thoughts. To be more to the point, I have noticed that despite the fact that I have lived in Darkon my entire life, I do not know anyone who claims to have lived in Darkon for any length of time more than a few months, unless they too have lived in Darkon their entire lives...that is except for Alden. To my knowledge, he is the only person that I know who says he has lived in Darkon for only a few years or so. Alden and Amber have both told me that they too do not know of anyone who claims to have lived in Darkon for more than a few months unless they too have lived here all of their lives. In other words, everyone we know, to the best of our knowledge, has either lived in or has been visiting Darkon for a few months or less, or they have lived here all of their lives. Doesn't that seem a bit odd to you? And I'm not talking about just now. I'm talking about for my entire life in Darkon. What's even stranger is that I distinctly recall a number of people who, at one time or another, said they were from some other land, but a few months later would claim they had lived here all of their lives. It's as if, after a while, they forgot where they came from. So my question to the two of you is, do either of you know of anyone who claims to have lived in Darkon for more than a few months who doesn't claim to have lived here all of their lives, and if not, do you recall ever having known such a person?"

The answer to this question for both Leon and Zeliex is no.

Marley117
12-10-2009, 11:00 AM
The walk is long but peaceful, and the day chilly, but at least the rain had stopped. I follow along with the group, my head held high as we move along the roads and paths. As we settle down to eat, I unbuckle my blade and lay it beside me, resting easy. Varian's question catches me by surprise, and I sit puzzled for a minute as I think.

"You know...now that I think about it, I don't know anyone who says they have lived anywhere but here. " I mull over the thought for a few more moments. "It isn't the only oddity though is it?" I say with a shrug, thinking of the mists that often pervaded my lands.

Arkhemedes
12-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Unsure of what Leon is referring to, he asks him, "How do you mean? What else is odd?"

Marley117
12-10-2009, 12:55 PM
"The mists." I says simply, referring to the fog that comes and goes around the land. I feel a cold chill run up my spine just thinking about it, and suddenly the day doesn't seem so nice anymore.

Arkhemedes
12-13-2009, 12:23 AM
"Oh, I see," Varian replies. "Yes, I suppose the Mists are an oddity as well. But they are something that all the lands, and all the people in those lands have to contend with. And they are something that we've all known about and have dealt with all of our lives. One tends to overlook them as an oddity when one has never known a world without them.

"This thing that I am talking about, however, where it seams that people from foreign lands have sometimes forgotten where they came from, and their memories have apparently been replaced by false memories of living in Darkon all of their lives...this is something that nobody is really aware of. And you may think that it is something that does not really concern any of you." Varian looks at all of those gathered around him with a serious expression as he says this, to emphasize the fact that he is speaking to them all. "Everyone here, with the exceptions of Alden and Cissinei, believes, without a shadow of doubt, that they have lived all of their lives in Darkon. But can you be so sure? Don't you realize, that if what I am suggesting is true, that everything you think you know about your past could be a lie? That beyond meeting there at Ardmor's Inn, everything else might just be a false memory? Think about it...And as for Cissinei...she has no memory at all before wandering into the inn...In fact, the only person here, and for all we know, the only person in Darkon, who can recall a life outside of Darkon more than a few months ago, is Alden. And strangely enough, his mentor was recently killed, apparently by the Kargat, which also appears to have an interest in Alden as well. Doesn't this mean anything to any of you?"

traesin
12-13-2009, 12:30 AM
"It scares me to think that everything I know is a lie."

Azar
12-13-2009, 12:44 PM
My eyes get big and I say, "So... you think my master died because he knew something about these mysterious false memories. I know for a fact I was born in Barovia, my parents were killed by my uncle who was also from Barovia. He was turned into a vampire. I don't even know if he is still around, or if someone has killed him. I walked until a merchant group brought me to Darkon, where I met Wat. He raised me. He died, and I swore to avenge his death. I met with you all in Ardmor's Inn, and now here we are. That's the short and sweet story. I just can't believe that I am the only one who has memories that I know for a fact are real. I remember the times I visited my mother in her garden, and I read books in the library." I shake my head.

Shikaku
12-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I seem to be in deep thought, unsure how to exactly answer the question. "I have lived in Darkon for all my years. I grew up in Sidnar and after some complications, I made way to Delagia. Here, I met a strange halfling. We did not discuss too much of what his profession was, though I know that he had something to do with the Kargat. He taught me many skills, and we became friends. I cannot tell you whether or not he has always lived in Darkon, as we never discussed much of his past. He was summoned by his...guild one morning. I had a bad feeling about it, and asked him not to go. I haven't heard from him since, and have been told that he is dead. But I am not sure whether or not to believe it. On the other hand, I don't believe that I can recall anyone saying anything different that what you are saying." I pause again, a bit tense.

"I will say this, however. If what you are saying is true, this is a very disturbing and serious situation."

Marley117
12-14-2009, 09:21 AM
I pause, thinking, blinking at the ground before me. The severity of what Varian said finally sinking in. "Oh my." Is all I can manage for a few moments as I relive all of my memories, trying to find hints that they could be false. Everything points to them being true, my skill with a blade, my elven heritage, my family....everything.

I audibly gulp then look around and shrug. "If that is the case, is there really anything we can do about it?"

traesin
12-14-2009, 01:14 PM
"I...I don't know."

Arkhemedes
12-14-2009, 09:50 PM
"Well, I didn't mean to alarm anyone," Varian says. "I mean, it does sound a bit far-fetched. And I doubt any of you have actually had their memories altered. And I must include myself in that since I'm in the same predicament. But I wanted to point out that it is a possibility and I don't know how else to explain the apparent patterns and inconsistencies. I don't know what could be done about it, if any of us did have their memories altered, if in fact anything can be done about it. But if this is the case, wouldn't you at least like to know?"

Varian turns to look at Cissinei at that point. "What about you Cissinei? You've been awfully quiet this morning. I'm sure you would like to have your memories return...wouldn't you? Do you think there might be any connection with your memory problems and what I'm talking about?"

Cissinei, who has had her head down as if despondent or deep in thought most of the morning, looks up at the others and says, "Well...I don't know if there is a connection...I suppose there could be. But I think some of my memories are beginning to return. Last night, I had a dream. And it could have been just that...a dream. But somehow, I think not. It seemed more like a lost memory. I was in this castle, a dark and scary castle...and I was running...running from something...but I don't know what. It's all too vague right now. I keep trying to remember more. But it's just not coming. And somehow...somehow it seems important...like maybe there is a connection."

Shikaku
12-15-2009, 05:22 PM
"Hmm." I ponder a moment then start to pace around, Sebastian close at my heels. I kneel down, "What do you think?" He looks at me with his head cocked to one side, puzzled by what I am saying. After a second or two he whines and I give him a stroke on the snout. I sigh, and then continue pacing. "I suppose it would be best that we keep this in mind, as we are traveling quite some distance. It may or may not produce any useful information, but better to be on the look-out than caught dead. Also, I am very interested in this..Kargat. They seem to have been popping up more and more in the recent times. Is it possible for there to be a connection?"

I stop pacing a moment and appear to hear something. Blasted wind. "To be honest, all this talk has me a bit nervous and makes me wonder if I even started out in Darkon - though I feel certain of it."

Arkhemedes
12-17-2009, 10:07 PM
As the thoughts of those gathered by the riverside wander through the possibilities presented by Varian's suggestion, the morning slowly drifts by like the nearby waters, until, some time later, they are brought out of their dark reverie by the welcome sight of a barge headed down stream. The companions then hail the barge master over to them and a deal is soon made for passage aboard the river vessel. Before long, they find themselves, floating swiftly down the river and headed west towards the heart of Darkon. It is a pleasant trip, as the party is able to sit in relative comfort and watch the surrounding landscape move past them. But despite, the relaxing atmosphere, the group's thoughts are never far away from the disturbing images that occasionally resurface concerning the ideas put forth by Varian.

Throughout the day, the group gradually makes their way through the valley of the Vuchar River which cuts its way through the region of Darkon known as the Mistlands. This river, which is navigable from the Nevuchar Shrine all the way to the sea to the west, serves as Darkon's main artery of travel, particularly in the east where there are no major highways.

This is true as one travels past the Khourx River, which is the first major tributary that feeds into the Vuchar, all the way up to the town of Maykle where the most significant road in Darkon, called the Via Regis or "King's Highway", begins and runs through the remainder of Darkon to the west.

It is a long and uneventful trip, for the most part. But by the end of the day, as the evening sun is setting low, and the cool Autumn breeze becomes even cooler, the group arrives at the town of Maykle, where the barge pulls in to dock for the night.

Marley117
12-18-2009, 02:13 PM
The site of the large town of Maykle is a comfort, and I smile into the cool air, muttering "Home sweet home." as I gather up my belongings and prepare to get off the barge.

Azar
12-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Alden looks at the town of Maykle in awe. He smiles and says, "I'm really traveling. I never thought I would." He laughs a bit.

Arkhemedes
12-21-2009, 09:45 PM
After asking around and exploring the large town of Maykle a bit, the party of adventurers finds its way to the most popular inn in Maykle, known as Serenity House. It is a tall, weathered building near the gates of Clangor Asylum. And though its rooms and food are merely of common quality, its upper floor's windows peek over the asylum walls, providing an entertaining view of the harmless inmates allowed to stroll about on fair weather days. The inn also offers a generous selection of soothing regional teas.

As the group approaches the inn, Varian asks the others in a low voice, "Before we check into the inn, I'd like to make a suggestion. Now, maybe I'm being a bit paranoid here...but with the possibility that the Kargat, and who knows what else, might be after us, what do you all think about the idea of pairing up in rooms? Not only would we save some money by doing so, but I think we would be safer as well. The girls could take one room, Alden and I could take another, and Leon and Zeliex could take a third. What do you think?"

Azar
12-21-2009, 10:58 PM
I look at everybody and say, "That sounds fine with me." I think of the Kargat once again, and look at my new sword, "I wonder why he had this sword on him. It was more than just coincidence." He touches his new scar across his face.

traesin
12-22-2009, 04:41 AM
"I think that is a good idea."

Marley117
12-22-2009, 11:59 AM
I shrug at the idea, content either way, not really feeling the pressure of the danger like the others in the group, but willing to take precautions for them nonetheless. "If you think it would help....I have no problems."

Arkhemedes
12-23-2009, 10:06 PM
As the other two nod at Varian's suggestion, the group proceeds into the inn where they are met by a thin and balding old man with a large nose who looks up from a large book placed before him on a counter and says in a slow and rambling voice, "Ah, greetings travelers. I am Xanthus, the proprietor of this establishment. Is there something I can do for you? Some rooms perhaps?"

The man's toothy grin and somewhat cross-eyed stare is rather unnerving. But Varian manages to stammer out, "Um...yes. We would like three rooms."

"Very good," the old man says. "Rooms seven, eight and nine then. Up the stairs and to the left," he continues as he hands the group three keys. After paying the man the going rate for the rooms, the group turns to head upstairs. But as they do so, the old man says to them, "Perhaps after you wash up a bit and relieve yourselves of some of your burdens, you might care for something to eat. The kitchen will be open for several more hours...at your service." Again he smiles and gives the group an eerily creepy stare.

The group then ventures up the stairs and quickly finds their rooms. As they open the doors, they see that each of the rooms, in addition to two beds and a nightstand, are also each equipped with a window that looks out over the walls of the neighboring asylum. It is growing dark now and there are no inhabitants of the asylum to be seen. But as they look upon the asylum's grounds, Varian is reminded of their discussion earlier in the day, and is compelled to comment on it. "I wonder...how many of the people beyond those walls are truly insane. Could it be that some of them have merely forgotten who they are? Or perhaps worse...they remember portions of their past lives and can't tell the difference between their true memories and their false ones."

Azar
12-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Alden looks down at the Asylum grounds. "I don't know, and I'd rather not find out." He changes out of his armor, and puts it beside his bed, as well as his shield. But he keeps his bastard sword on his back. "There is no way I am taking it off, not after what happened." He stretches. "I am going to get something to eat and some ale, you want to come?" he says to Varian.

Arkhemedes
12-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Varian, like Alden, unloads some of his gear as well. But he too keeps his sword by his side. "Yeah," he says in response to Alden's question. "I'm right behind you."

Cissinei, meanwhile drops off a few of her things in the room taken by her and Amber, which lies between the other two rooms. But Cissinei travels light as it is, so it isn't long before she too is ready to head downstairs for a meal. "You coming Amber?" she says as she reaches the door of their room.

traesin
12-24-2009, 02:42 AM
Amber puts down some of her stuff. She keeps her mace on her. She does pull out a tiny piece of paper out of her bags. She looks over at Cissinei. "I think I'm ready, but I don't like the inn keeper, so I want to put this piece of paper in the door so we can tell if anyone has come in."

Marley117
12-24-2009, 04:14 PM
I just put my pack down and step back out, waiting in the hall for everyone else. Bunking up was definitely a good idea, that much was apparent. "Does anyone else feel ill at ease sleeping next to an Asylum?"

Azar
12-24-2009, 08:02 PM
I hear what Leon says and just snicker and shake my head. I then walk out and say, "You're telling me. We get attacked by some creature from out of no where a couple of nights ago. But this is ridiculous. I mean, with our luck someone will escape tonight and head right over here."

Arkhemedes
12-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Everyone proceeds downstairs including Zeliex and Sebastian, and the group soon finds a table in the common room to sit at. A large woman in her forties with a bit of a scowl on her face comes by to get their orders and recommends a dish called crusto caronis, a local favorite, which is a crisp pastry shell filled with minced and spiced meats and served in slices.

There are a few other people in the common room, but they all sit by themselves and keep quite, apparently preferring it that way. They all wear expressions of gloom, sadness and inner turmoil. Most just stare blankly ahead at their food or drinks, though occasionally they give a furtive glance towards the group with a disapproving glare.

Apparently feeling some discomfort, Varian says in a low voice, "Not exactly a cheerful crowd here, eh. Makes me wonder if some of the residents from next door might have gotten loose."

traesin
12-27-2009, 09:29 AM
I try very hard not to giggle.

Marley117
12-27-2009, 09:30 AM
"Like the man at the counter?" I ask, remembering the eery cross eyed man, "Maybe it is just the town, breeds people like this?" I cover my face, suppressing the urge to smile, afraid it might bring even more unwanted attention.

Azar
12-27-2009, 11:07 AM
I sit down and let my muscles relax. When a few people scowl at me, I do the same to them,
"No one will look at me that way and think they can get away with it, bastards."

Intimidate Roll

Arkhemedes
12-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Those few people who give the group cold glares, appear to be a bit put off by Alden's scowl, but only momentarily. They soon turn back to their food and drinks as though they didn't have a care one way or another. Most of the people seem to be too lost in their own thoughts to have much concern about a group of strangers.

Varian looks at Alden with some surprise, "So, what are you saying? You want to pick a fight with a stranger or two just because you don't like the way they look at you? Do you really think that's a good idea? I'm thinking maybe we should try to avoid upsetting any of the locals and drawing attention to ourselves."

Zeliex, who has been feeding Sebastian some of the meat from his plate, sees that the dog is starting to squirm about. He looks at the dog and asks, "What's the matter boy. Do we need to take a walk?" Sebastian whines a bit and lets out a yelp. Zeliex then looks at the others and says, "I better take him outside and let him do his business before he does something to make the innkeeper give us dirty looks. We'll be right back." Zeliex gets up to leave and head for the door as Sebastian prances about wagging his tail, and follows his master.

Azar
12-28-2009, 11:06 PM
I roll my eyes at Varian, "I don't like when people disrespect me, that's all. And if you don't like the way I handle it, then so be it. I treat people nicely, if they treat me the same. It's the way it should work," I say coldly.

traesin
12-29-2009, 01:25 AM
"You should treat everyone nicely. It may brighten their day or it may make them like you enough to trust you."

Arkhemedes
12-29-2009, 07:32 AM
"I agree with Amber," says Varian. "Take the high road and change how others feel about you rather than treat them badly and confirm their beliefs. Besides, you said you weren't going to let them get away with it. So unless you go and beat them up, apparently they are going to get away with it. But you can't beat up everyone who gives you a dirty look. And again, the last thing we need is to cause any trouble and draw attention to ourselves."

Azar
12-29-2009, 11:20 PM
"Thats not exactly what I meant. I just wasn't going to let them just look at me that way, without some feedback by me. But I understand, and I will be nicer to them... sorry." he says, not making eye contact with anyone.

traesin
12-30-2009, 02:25 AM
I pat Alden on the arm. "It's okay. After the other night, I understand." I smile at him. "I'm glad you are here with me."

Azar
12-30-2009, 12:59 PM
I blush, "Well... I... uhhh... am glad to be here." I laugh nervously.

Arkhemedes
12-31-2009, 02:14 PM
"Yeah," Varian says. "I think it's safe to say that we're all glad to have made some friends that we can really count on. And considering what happened the other night, I suppose I too understand your feeling that way, since we don't really know who we can trust.

"Which brings me to a point...something that I've been thinking about lately...remember Alden, when we first met, how you talked about finding people to join you in forming an adventuring band? It was only a few days ago, but already it seems like a long time time ago. Since then, we've seen several people die at the hands of a doppelganger that took their places and could have easily killed us all if not for our efforts to seek it out and kill it first. And somehow, somewhere along the way, we went from being strangers talking about going on adventures, to a group of newly found friends who were fighting for our very lives. And now that the life of adventurers has been thrust upon us whether we wanted it or not, it feels like the idea of becoming adventurers has lost some of its glamor. But then, it looks like we have little choice in the matter now. And, as I told you before, I made a promise to stick with you and help you seek out the killers who took your parents and your mentor away from you, after we have made our trip to Mordent and we feel that we are ready, of course. So...I was thinking...why don't we make it official? What I mean is, let's come up with a name for our group and make a pledge to each other that we will stick by each other's sides. What do you say? Now, we don't have to tell anybody else what our group name is, mind you, since anonymity might work to our advantage. On the other hand, a little recognition might be preferable. The point is, with a group name and a pledge of loyalty to one another, I think we could all feel better about out situation. So what do you guys think?" Varian looks at the others gathered at the table as well as he says this, obviously wanting to include everyone there.

Azar
12-31-2009, 07:02 PM
I praise, "Life has changed for me, and it seems for all of us... my life with master Wat is over, and a new chapter starts for my life." I look at Amber. "You lost your old life as well... memories are all we have. Life is too short to not live it out to the fullest." I sigh. "I myself would like to hear what other people have to say as well." I wait for a response from the others.

Marley117
01-01-2010, 09:07 AM
"Life is hard. Letting people disrespect you will only make it harder. I have tried going the nice route. It only led to more trouble. I tend to just go about my business and ignore the looks and glares. "

I sit back after that, my agreement with Alden's ways going against the grain. Varian pipes up though, changing the subject with ease. A small smile crosses my face, and I can't help but smile, though it seems lost of all mirth.

"A pledge is one thing, but a name? Not trying to be the voice of discord here, but what exactly are we setting out to do? " I stop for a moment and scratch my neck behind my hood. "As for a name...I will have to think."

traesin
01-01-2010, 10:59 AM
"A name? Hmmmm... It's a good Idea. I will have to think of a good one. We don't want to have a silly name."

Azar
01-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I interrupt. "Well, I think we could easily be called The Rejects, I mean... we all are kinda running now. It looks like the Kargat are after me, and Varian... well you know." I whisper, "Your religion...it doesn't sit well with the Kargat. I don't mean to offend you Amber but you know. I'm just trying to make a point, that's all."

traesin
01-01-2010, 05:52 PM
I laugh. "I don't think we would inspire anyone with a name like that," I say giggling.

Azar
01-01-2010, 07:48 PM
I grin. "I guess your right." I look over at the barmaid. "May I have an ale please, and do you have chicken fried mutton? I have been craving that for days now," I say politely.

Arkhemedes
01-02-2010, 08:21 PM
The barmaid frowns a bit at Alden and says, "Mmm...Ale I can get ya. But there ain't much sheep to be found 'round these parts. However...we got some venison I can have fried up for ya if ya like."

Azar
01-03-2010, 12:05 PM
I smile and say, "I don't think my stomach will complain with that."

Arkhemedes
01-04-2010, 10:56 PM
The barmaid asks the others there if they would like anything more, then turns to leave when she has gotten everyone's orders. Once she is gone, Varian resumes their earlier discussion. "How about The Knights of Shadow for a name? It could sort of signify our need to be secretive and work in the shadows, so to speak."

Cissinei, who has been her usual quiet self most of the evening, nods her head and says, "Works for me."

The other companions give their approval as well, to which Varian raises his mug of ale and says, "Then I propose a toast." He waits for the others to raise their mugs and continues. "Tonight, we make it official. From here on, we are the Knights of Shadow...To the Knights of Shadow then." At this, each member of the newly formed band taps their mug against those of the others and takes a sip.

"Oh wait," Cissinei says with some alarm. "We forgot about Zeliex."

Just then, the few patrons of the inn are somewhat startled by the sound of a dog barking at the front door of the inn. Cissinei recognizes the bark as being that of Sebastian's. She gets up with obvious concern written on her face and hurries to the front door. When she opens it, Sebastian is there, but he does not enter. In fact he appears to be rather agitated...perhaps even shaken as he prances about a bit letting out whines and half-hearted yelps. Cissinei, wondering what could possibly have the dog acting so strangely, looks around and notices that Zeliex is nowhere to be seen in the dark streets outside the inn. Then she notices something even more disturbing...Sebastian's head and back is speckled with tiny splatters of what appears to be blood.

Azar
01-04-2010, 11:02 PM
I get up, and run out the door. I already have drawn my sword, and I say to Cissinei once I get out the door, "What's wrong!?" I yell out. I see the blood on Sebastian and say, "What the hell? Where is Zeliex?"

traesin
01-05-2010, 01:07 AM
I get up and run to the door.

Arkhemedes
01-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Varian follows Alden and Amber to the door with a look of apprehension on his face. "What is the matter?" he asks.

Cissinei answers him. "It's Sebastian. Looks like he has blood splattered all over him...and Zeliex is no where to be seen." She then squats down by the dog and pets him in an effort to calm him. "Where is Zeliex, Sebestian?" she asks the dog. "Where is he?"

But Sebastian only barks and prances around some more. Then suddenly he takes off across the street and comes to a stop at the entrance to a pitch black alleyway. There he turns around to face the group, and barks again as if beckoning them to follow.

Marley117
01-05-2010, 10:47 AM
I move with the group, flowing around tables and patrons easily in the heavy armor. As the conversation flows I feel a lead weight settle into my stomach. This is what it must have felt like for the rest of them. Only moments ago we were merrily thinking of a name for our little troupe, and now one of us is missing.

Seeing the blood only furthers that feeling, and the weight seems to turn to ice. Abruptly I'm shaking, my hands itching to reach for the blade at my side. Sebastian takes off, and I look to the others before breaking into a sprint after him, drawing my sword and shield as I go.

"Come on! He could be hurt!"

The wind whistles past me as I cross the small clearing and pull up behind the whining dog.

Azar
01-05-2010, 09:52 PM
I run to Sebastian. "Wait up boy," I blurt out as I catch up to the dog.

I activate my sword's power, and flames shoot up out of my sword. I swing it towards the darkness in the alley.

"Hopefully he's alright," I say, keeping my composure. I imagine what has happened to Zeliex, a lifeless corpse just sitting in this dark, ominous alley. Goddle's lifeless body creeps into my mind, his dead, lifeless, mangled corpse. A pain shoots through my gut. "No, he can't be dead, he just can't be."

traesin
01-06-2010, 04:33 AM
I quickly cast "light" on a marble and move towards the alleyway and roll the marble down the dark alleyway.

Azar
01-06-2010, 09:41 PM
"Good idea Amber, thats much better." I say not looking at her. I peer down the alleyway before I head down. Hoping to see something.

Arkhemedes
01-07-2010, 12:28 AM
The newly formed Knights of Shadow gather at the entrance to the dark alleyway. At first, nothing can be seen in the inky blackness where not even the light of the moon penetrates. Then the flickering orange glow of Alden's flaming sword gradually illuminates the dark recess before them, but only dimly and for only a short distance. It is barely enough to see the faintest of shadows move about in a macabre dance of demonic design...or perhaps it is merely a trick of the wavering light.

Amber's light spell however, proves to be more effective at dispelling the night, and as she rolls the marble on which the spell has been cast down through the alleyway, it cuts a swath of illumination through the darkness to reveal a litter strewn pathway of cobblestone and mortared brick. As the marble continues its clattering journey into the black void beyond, it quickly reveals something more.

The marble rolls into a small pool of blood, which lies at the center of the alleyway, slowing its progress and soon bringing it to a stop. The blood covered marble then casts the alleyway in a hellish red glow and reveals beyond it an ominous dark figure. It is hunched over a crumpled form lying in the corner, with its back towards the band. But it quickly turns and hisses at the intrusion of the unwelcome light. The figure then rises to the height of a man, its pale face dimly lit in the reddish glow, and streams of blood running from the corners of its fanged mouth! Glancing beyond the dark figure, you suddenly recognize the bloody form in the corner as being that of Zeliex.

Azar
01-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I try to keep my composer at the sight of this slaughter...

Horror Check

Marley117
01-08-2010, 12:55 PM
A small gasp escapes my lips, and my hand tightens on my sword as I try and fight back against the revulsion. Anger and fear war inside me as I look on the sight of our dead friend, and the fiend standing over his body.

Please don't be die

Arkhemedes
01-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Cissinei gasps as she gazes upon the dark figure standing before them, the blood running from its fanged mouth and the bloody, crumpled form of Zeliex sprawled out in the corner behind it. Sickened by what she sees, she is suddenly compelled to step to the side, lurch over in a spasm and empty a portion of dinner from her stomach and into the deep shadows with a sickening splatter.

Marley117
01-10-2010, 08:55 PM
After a moment of staring that seems to last forever, everything falls into a certain clarity. My eyes scan our fallen friend one last time, then fall on the bloody monster. With a roar that reverberates through the alley I grip my sword and shield and charge forward.

The air whistles through my ears and blood pounds in the fore as I sprint and try to slam my shield into the thing to bowl it over.

Arkhemedes
01-11-2010, 07:37 PM
As Leon charges at the dark figure it suddenly produces a longsword of shiny black metal from beneath the deep shadows of its midnight cloak and swings at the would-be hero, easily dodging to the side and avoiding the desperate attempt to knock it down.

The black metal slices deep into the side of Leon, nearly downing him in a single blow! It takes all of Leon's effort to simply remain on his feet as he stumbles past the dark figure in agony.

Horrified by the sheer speed and brutality of the undead creature before them, Varian lets out a gasp as it begins to dawn on him that the newly formed Knights of Shadow may not even survive their first night. But seeing his new friend suddenly in such pain, not to mention the one who now lies unmoving in the alleyway corner, causes Varian to attempt another act of desperation. Grabbing the holy symbol that hangs around his neck, he boldly presents it in front of him with a look of determination and shouts at the creature, "May the power of Ezra strike you down fiend, and send you back to the grave where you belong!"

As soon as Varian speaks these words, a burst of energy suddenly emerges from the holy symbol and rolls out in all directions. It is a rather weak burst of energy. But despite this, the dark figure momentarily grimaces in pain when it hits. The next instant however, the creature gazes back at Varian, looking as though it were unaffected by the feeble attempt to destroy it. The creature then grins at him and let's out a small chuckle as if to say, Now it's my turn. Varian begins to feel his knees buckle. But then the creature does something unexpected. Without saying a word, he waves his hand over his head with a flourish and dematerializes into a cloud of mist which moves up and over the wall of the alleyway.

Marley117
01-12-2010, 12:39 PM
The red haze emerges into a black nothing as the creature simply moves out of the way. Then lighting and fire burn up my side. The roar on my lips dies instantly, replaced by a gasp. With a crash my shield catches part of the wall, and I careen into it, blood oozing from the gash in my side.

Anger and pain war inside my head as I turn on the creature, only to see it turn to mist before my eyes. Suddenly it is over, and pain wins out. I slide to the ground beside the fallen form of our friend, my blood mixing with his. My shield and sword fall from my hands, and it takes all of my effort to crawl to the inert body.

The hellish red glow castes about as I reach out one shaking hand and grab for Zeliex, trying to see if he's alive. "Zeliex....come on. Get up. It could come back. Come on." I say, desperately trying to get him up and staunch the flow of blood from my side at the same time.

Azar
01-12-2010, 02:33 PM
I watch in fear of what has gone on. I run to see if Leon's alright and I say, "Varian, c'mon man. They need your help." I look at Zeliex and check his vital signs to see if he is still alive.

I think to myself, "What was that thing? Damn it! Please don't be dead, Zeliex. I just met you, and I consider you my friend. I don't want to lose another."

traesin
01-12-2010, 03:08 PM
I run to Leon, one hand digging in my pack. I slide to his side on my knees and pull forth a small vial. Pushing him onto his side, I pull the cork with my teeth and spit it to the side. I press the bottle to his lips and say in my most commanding voice "Drink!"

Cure mod wounds

Arkhemedes
01-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Varian, still somewhat shaken by the horrific scene before him, is slow to react to Alden's call for assistance. Slowly he comes to his senses and pulls himself together. But by the time he does so, he realizes that Amber is about to administer the group's only potion of healing on Leon. "No wait," he says with some urgency. "I can heal hi..." But it is too late. She has already poured the potion into Leon's mouth.

Seeing this, Varian then decides to turn his attention to Zeliex. Alden is already there checking him out. But Varian realizes that there is likely very little that Alden can do for him. So he hurries over to Alden's side and begins a quick examination of their fallen comrade. He grabs Zeliex's hand to feel his pulse, peers into his eyes, and even holds a mirror to his mouth looking for any indication of breath left in his body. It does not take long however, for Varian to reach a conclusion. Then, with a somber expression, he slowly turns towards Alden who gazes at him in fearful anticipation. "I'm sorry my friend. We are too late." Varian passes his hand over Zeliex's face to close his eyes. He then pats Alden on the shoulder and slowly rises to move over and attend to the one man he can help.

When he reaches Amber and Leon, the look on his face is enough to tell them that Zeliex can no longer be counted among the living. "Here," he says to Leon. "Hold still for a minute and I will heal your wound...at least the physical one anyway."

As Varian is healing Leon, Sebastian, clearly sensing that something is terribly wrong, slowly walks over to Alden's side and gazes at the man who until recently was the dog's best friend. He then begins to whine as he stands there shaking, still speckled with his ex-master's blood.

Azar
01-13-2010, 12:26 AM
I cry... I never have cried this much in my life. Now I know what true horror feels like. Why am I here, in this world? Why does everyone I know die? Is it that I'm cursed, or some equally cruel punishment? I am the one who brought this terrible fate to Zeliex. If I just never left my home, none of this would have happened. The pain in my heart is terrible. Goddle, Zeliex, and almost Leon. I can't let this happen any longer.

I pet Sebastian, and tell him, "Stay with Amber, be a good boy. She'll need you... everyone will need you." I kneel down and hug the dog. Tears run down his soft fur. I just walk away out to the streets. My sword drawn, I have never been so ready to fight, and so ready to die.

"I will find you!"

Marley117
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
The urge to join Alden rushes over me for a split second, but the weariness sets in. Sleep just seems like such a better response at the very moment. The liquid Amber poured down, the sweetest nectar from the lilies and honey in the trees near my home, sits heavily in my stomach.

Varian yells something, but the words are lost. He moves beside Zeliex and starts his magic. Good, soon Zeliex will be just like me. Warm. The urge to sleep comes again, but I fight it, something tugging at me now that everything is starting to wear away. Varian looks up, his face, which should be pale, pink in the hellish glow. His eyes say it all. I squeeze mine shut and turn into Amber's side as I feel Varian move over me, feel the light and the healing energy rush through my veins. I want to scream, yell, tell him to use it on Zeliex, make him better, I'm fine, but the words won't come out.

Then it is over, and I am normal. Abruptly the sleepiness and the comfort are gone, and I find myself laying on the ground, curled up into Amber's side, my armor and clothes soaked through with not only my blood but Zeliex's as well. All I want is to be sick. Instead I rise, picking up my shield and sword without a word and putting them away, before moving over beside Zeliex and kneeling, my eyes closed.

"We need to get him off the street. " I say, standing and turning. "We all need to get off of the street."

Arkhemedes
01-13-2010, 11:58 AM
"Your absolutely right," Varian says to Leon as he turns to go after Alden. "Wait Alden! Don't be foolish! You have no chance against that thing. I know I promised to help you out. But I can't do that if you run off and get yourself killed. Come on back. We need to stick together here, and we're simply not ready to face a creature that powerful."

Cissinei at that point, looks up from the dark shadow she has been lurched over in, still unable to even look down the alleyway where the others are gathered, and sees Alden walking away. She wipes her mouth after having become so violently ill and waves a hand towards Alden. "Alden," she pleads to him. "Please...I need your help."

Azar
01-13-2010, 04:50 PM
I stop, and look back at Cissinei. "I will just do more bad than good. You don't need me. No one needs me. I am cursed," I say towards her.

Arkhemedes
01-13-2010, 05:36 PM
"And what makes you so sure, we are not all cursed?" Cissinei says with just a bit of anger in her voice. "At least you can remember who you are, who your parents were, and where you came from. What I wouldn't give to remember these things, even if some of the memories were painful. And what of poor Amber? She was marked by a goddess and granted strange powers. But what has it done for her? She was driven from her home because of it. That's what. And Varian and Leon - both of their parents were killed in a senseless war, when they were both too young to remember them. And I'm sure I don't need you to remind you what just happened to Zeliex. No, Alden. You do not have any exclusive right to feel sorrow and pain. We all feel it! So stop feeling so sorry for yourself and realize that we need to stay together or we all parish! Besides...there is no way to know with any certainty that this creature has anything to do with the Kargat, or even that the Kargat is only after you."

Azar
01-13-2010, 05:53 PM
A tear runs downs my face, "How much I would give to forget everything, not knowing my parents, not knowing what happened to master Wat. I would do anything to forget."

"I don't care if the Kargat is after me. It's that I have seen so many people in my life die. My mother, and father...they died by the hands of my vampiric uncle. My master died by the hands of some creature. And do you remember all the people who died in Ardmors Inn? And now Zeliex." I take a moment to gather my thoughts.

"I have seen so much death, and I won't stop seeing any more. If I stay with you, who will be next, huh? Maybe you Cissinei, or maybe Varian. I mean... it almost killed Leon."

Arkhemedes
01-13-2010, 07:30 PM
"So, what are you saying then Alden?" Cissinei says. "That you want to run off and get yourself killed? Or go and hide some place all alone, and make yourself an easy target for whatever it was that killed Zeliex? I don't understand."

Varian approaches at that point, and says to Alden, "Cissinei is right, Alden. There is no way to know that the killing won't stop just because you're not with us. And the longer we stand out here in the night, the longer we put ourselves at risk. So, pull yourself together man, and come back with us."

Azar
01-13-2010, 08:37 PM
I look down at the ground for a long time. It seems like an eternity. I finally look at Cissinei, then Amber, and then Leon and Amber who is helping Leon up. "I just don't want any more death."

Marley117
01-13-2010, 08:57 PM
"Well you know," I say with a little frustration, " I am still alive. Being 'almost killed' doesn't count, just makes me more determined and wiser than I was 30 seconds before. So just stop it. If anything that helped us. Now we at least have a target eh? Instead of wandering aimlessly, lets get Zeliex taken care of, then find out what in the Gods name that thing was. "

I turn and stoop, wrapping my arms under Zeliex's back and hoisting him partially up before looking towards the others for some assistance. I could carry him single handedly, but it just seemed disrespectful to hoist him around like a sack. "Is there a church nearby?"

Arkhemedes
01-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Varian turns to Leon and says, "Let me help carry him. There is a church of the Eternal Order in town. But I would prefer performing the services myself. Perhaps the innkeeper would let us place his body in the stables for the night. Then we can bury him in the morning. Cissinei, perhaps you could ask him."

Cissinei nods and heads towards the inn.

Looking around, Varian continues. "And where are the constables when you need them, anyway?"

Azar
01-13-2010, 11:18 PM
I laugh a little. "Lets get going."

sahelfootball82
01-14-2010, 03:15 AM
I come bursting out of the inn, longsword in hand, expecting anything short of The Abyss itself - though on second thought even that wouldn't have surprised me all too much in this place. I had been relaxing in my room, well it was as close to relaxing as any I had experienced in the last couple of months, when shouting began across the street. Looking out my window I saw a group of people shouting at a cloaked person. Probably some people just yelling at a bum, maybe he stole something. But as quick as I could realize one of the men from the group charged and the other person simply side-stepped him and tore him open. Even from across the street it quickly became apparent that this creature was full of malice and hate.

Thankful I hadn't removed my armor, I grabbed my weapons and, quickly strapping them on tight so as not to impede any movement, I rushed as quick as I could out of my room headed for the street. Only a few people in the inn even seemed to care as I tore through the common room.

As I burst through the door I almost crashed headlong into a slender, graceful lady with a bow. Being thankful that I stood only just above the shoulder of even most humans I quickly spun around her, keeping my blade to the outside. My long, ruby hair, usually coming down to just between my shoulder-blades, trailed behind like a second cloak, adding to the beauty of the moment. My eyes, perfectly matching the deep, vibrant hue of my hair, scanning the area around me quickly as I came to a stop on the other side of a very startled young lady I found the situation very different then I had last seen. Having been so hasty to get out there I was concerned that my greatsword may have come loose from it's bindings, but upon checking I found it to be securely fastened.

Quickly straightening my cloak around my studded leather vest, and sheathing my longsword, I turned to the woman with the bow. I was pleased to see that mine were not the only ears whose pointed tips liked to protrude beyond their hair.

Bowing I said, "My sincere apologies, milady. I pray I did not startle you too much. I was just coming to give aid if needed against the beast I saw in the alley, but it seems you have dealt with it. Pray tell, did it die so easily? For certainly it seemed of great strength and malice."

Arkhemedes
01-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Cissinei looks at the stranger at the door, so seemingly prepared to be of any assistance, and a frown appears on her face as she looks down in an effort to remain composed. "I am afraid you are a bit too late, kind sir. The beast was indeed of great strength and malice. But for some reason, it did not stick around very long. Perhaps it had its fill after killing one of our companions. Whatever the case, it turned into a cloud of mist and disappeared. I was just on my way into the inn to see if the innkeeper would let us place the body of our fallen friend in the stables for the night."

Azar
01-14-2010, 11:09 AM
I just walk by the man who bumped into Cissinei, say to the barmaid, "The strongest ale you got," and sit down at one of the tables, waiting for my drink.

sahelfootball82
01-14-2010, 12:08 PM
"If you don't mind my asking, what was the argument going on with that one?" I ask, referring to the man who had just brushed right past us without saying a word. "I couldn't help but catch just the end of it, something about trouble following him or something?"

Arkhemedes
01-14-2010, 12:44 PM
"You'll have to pardon our friend there," Cissinei says to the stranger. "It seems he can be rather emotional at times and he's got some crazy notion that this is all his fault. But he means well. Now, if you will pardon me as well. I need to speak with the innkeeper."

Cissinei then ducks inside to ask the innkeeper if they can put Zeliex's body in the barn. When she does so, the innkeeper and a few of the nearby patrons perk up with expressions of alarm on their faces. He agrees with her request while at the same time sending a young man out to notify the constables, since apparently they have not arrived yet.

Meanwhile the barmaid, being somewhat distracted by all that she overhears, is slow to respond to Alden's call for a drink. When she does deliver the drink, she approaches the table where Alden is seated very cautiously and does not say a word to him as she sets the drink down in front of him, all the while staring at him with a look of concern and perhaps even a tad bit of fear.

sahelfootball82
01-14-2010, 08:31 PM
I stood there for a moment, still not used to how gruff people were in these lands within the Mist. But there were answers I still needed, there was a very slim chance that hope might have stumbled in it's effort to stay just out of reach.

I walked in the inn and made a quick scan of the room, knowing my target. Finding the man who blamed himself I approached him, set that I would not be turned away without the information I wanted.

"Excuse me sir," I said as diplomatically as I could, "but I couldn't help but overhear that you were convinced that a lot of terrible things are your fault. Do you mean that you think trouble follows you wherever you go?" Hope shone dimly in my eyes.

Arkhemedes
01-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Cissinei quickly returns to the streets where Leon and Varian are gathering the body of Zeliex. She tells them that the innkeeper will let them keep the body inside the stables for the night, and leads them to the side of the inn where the stables are located. A stable boy is already there waiting for them when they arrive with the door open, not to mention eyes and mouth that are open just as wide, as he stares in fascination at the bloody corpse. They lay the body down in a vacant stall, Varian says a quick prayer, and a blanket is then placed over the body.

Sebastian follows them into the stables, but when they turn to leave, he lays down bedside the body where he stays, unwilling to leave the side of his former master and loyal to the end...and even beyond. Cissinei, however, refuses to leave the dog in the stables, and despite his whining and reluctance to move, she eventually coaxes him to come along with her.

By the time they get back to the front of the inn however, four constables have arrived, along with the young man who went to fetch them a short while before. The young man points at Leon, Varian, Cissinei and Amber and says, "There they are. That's them."

The four constables then approach and one of them says, "Alright, what happened here?"

traesin
01-15-2010, 02:54 AM
After giving Leon the heeling potion, I lean agaisnt the side of the alley. "Another friend dead." I watch as Varian and Leon pick up Zeliex and carry him to the stables. I follow along in a slight daze.

Marley117
01-15-2010, 08:29 AM
The soaked blood along my clothes is chilling, but my body refuses to shiver. It refuses to feel much of anything. I move the body with cool precision, ignoring the gore and mess that cover me. I walk around the inn, completely ignoring the stares and whispers that are sure to follow.

As the man points us out, there is a sudden moment of anger from nowhere. Being pointed out, like it wasn't obvious who had just been attacked and fought for their lives. In lieu of the situation though, I let my anger flow away, and step forward to speak with the constables.

"Our friend, the one we just put in the stable, " I begin, my voice dripping with anger and resentment, " Went out to let his dog relieve himself. His dog came back in covered in blood. We went out and saw this...thing...standing over his corpse. It was inhumanly strong and fast, and .." I stop, shaking my head, "It was drinking his blood. We attacked. It fought back, and turned into mist. "

Azar
01-15-2010, 11:01 AM
I take a drink of my overly strong ale and say, "My whole life I have seen death... my parents, my master, almost a whole inn of people... and now my friend. I'm cursed alright, either with bad luck, or something even more terrifying." I look up at the man, "The names Alden, I'd shake your hand, but I don't think you'd want me to do that. Ya might die." He looks outside in the alleyway and then turns back to the man. "If ya want, you can follow me to say respects to my fallen friend. Or not. I don't care." I take another drink of my ale and walk outside to see my friends being harassed by the constables. "Whats going on?" I say.

sahelfootball82
01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
A man followed by misfortune. With nothing to go on he was as good a chance as any, and very few men don't deserve some respects after they die. I follow the man who calls himself cursed, but as we leave the inn his curse seems to continue, the rest of his group is now being questioned by the constables.

"Don't worry, Alden," I say as I begin to cross over to the constables, "As an uninvolved third party witness I can help clear up any trouble due to the fight." And with that I quickly step over to the group.

"Excuse me," I say to the constables, "but what seems to be the trouble here?"

Arkhemedes
01-15-2010, 09:14 PM
The constables listen to Leon's brief summary of what took place, and once he is done, they look at each other with queer expressions. Perhaps it is disbelief...perhaps it is fear...perhaps it is a combination of the two. But when Alden steps up and puts in his two cents, one of them, the apparent leader of the bunch, turns to question him as well. He pauses however, before doing so, as he is quickly followed by the elf who also asks what the matter is.

The constable then, turns to the elf and says, "The trouble is that, according to this young man here," indicating the young man who summoned the constables, "there is a dead body somewhere, and the only one I see who is covered in blood says the killing was done by a mysterious being who has conveniently vanished into thin air," now pointing to Leon. "Now before any of you gets all riled up. I'm going to need to get a few more details from you, first of all. Then I want to see any evidence you might have to corroborate your story. And finally, I'll need to check for any witnesses to the event, and see if anyone will agree to your story."

The constable then looks at Varian, who likewise has traces of blood on his hands and vestment. Passing him up, he moves on to Cissinei. "Alright, I'll start with you. It seems there may have been more than one person here involved in this. What is your name miss?"

"Cissinei," she answers with some trepidation as she glances at her companions.

"Did you see what happened here?"

"Yes sir...well, some of it anyway."

"Alright then. Suppose you tell me what happened. And why don't you start with just how many were involved in this...killing."

"Well," Cissinei begins, still obviously distraught over the whole affair. "Besides myself, there was Leon here, and Varian, and Alden, and Amber," she says as she indicates those around her. "And it happened just like Leon said. Our friend was attacked by this...thing...and we tried to stop it. But it disappeared."

"And you witnessed this THING disappear?" the constable presses.

"Well...no, actually." Cissinei glances around nervously at her friends. "I didn't. I was feeling ill at the time...and had to turn away."

"Hmph...I see," says the constable. Looking around at everyone else, the constable then asks, "Does everyone here agree with what's already been said? Is there anyone who disagrees or has anything more to add?" Then looking at the elf, he says, "You there. I noticed she did not mention you. Did you happen to see any of this?"

sahelfootball82
01-15-2010, 11:59 PM
"I cannot confirm that it turned into mist but I can tell you for sure that it must have achieved something-" he paused looking for the right word, "inhuman. I was sitting in my room in the inn directly across the street from the alley that the man was killed in. I heard a commotion and looked out to see this group here yelling at what I first thought was just a social outcast, but when the-" again he searched for the right word, "thing first moved it was apparent that it was not human. It's movements were far faster and more precise than any human, or even demi-human could have ever hoped to. Worried that this group here might be in trouble I grabbed my weapons and rushed out. By the time I got there it was already gone, but I can tell you for sure that it didn't leave the alley on foot. I don't barely believe what I saw with my own eyes, so I certainly understand your disbelief. But every one of these people speaks true in what they tell you happened here."

Azar
01-16-2010, 12:24 AM
"Trust me. Get used to seeing weird creatures. There all around you, and ya just don't know it." I start to laugh.

Maybe it's the drink I just had, or the thought of seeing Zeliex's body again. I don't know, but I know I'm being an ass. I say to everyone, "I'm sorry everyone, I... I think I'll just sit down, if it's alright with the constable of course." I motion towards a nice place to sit.

Arkhemedes
01-16-2010, 07:44 AM
The leader of the constables looks over at the other constables, this time with obvious concern. He then looks back at Alden and says, "Fine, have a seat there," indicating the steps leading up to the front door of the inn. Turning back to the others he asks, "Now, where did all of this take place?"

Varian points across the street and says, "Over there, in the alleyway."

The constable looks in the direction of the alleyway, and pauses briefly. His jaw clenches as a visible shudder runs through him. Pulling his coat tighter about him and shrugging his shoulders a bit, he then turns to the other men. "Gilos, Jakome...go and check out the alleyway. Estran, stay here and keep an eye on these people. Nobody leaves until I get back...got that?"

"Now, you two," he says pointing to Leon and Varian. "Show me the body...and let's be quick about it. I'd like to wrap this up as soon as possible."

Varian glances at Leon briefly, then back at the constable. "And what is your name...if I might ask?"

The man nods and says, "Sergeant Ragnol. Now, lead on."

Varian says, "Right this way, Sergeant." He then turns and heads back in the direction of the stables.

The constables, each of them carrying a hooded lantern in one hand to light their way, and a shortsword in the other hand, go about their business as instructed, none of them looking as though they care to be out and about on this night. When the other constables walk away, Cissinei turns to the elf and says, "I'm sorry if I was a bit abrupt with you earlier. You have been very helpful. Thank you...um, I don't believe I got your name."

traesin
01-16-2010, 03:28 PM
I quietly walk over and sit next to Alden and place my arm around his shoulder. I gently pull him towards me till his head rests against me and hold him.

sahelfootball82
01-17-2010, 05:13 AM
"My apologies, miss." I say. "Everything happened so fast it is understandable that I was brushed aside in the face of all that has happened here. You may call me Rune. Might I ask as to your name?"

Arkhemedes
01-17-2010, 08:22 AM
"Oh," she says to Rune. "Perhaps you did not hear me tell the constable. My name is Cissinei. This is Amber and Alden," she says indicating the two seated nearby. The two that went with the sergeant are Varian and Leon. And this here is Sebastian," she says as she kneels down next to the dog and ruffles his fur. But Sebastian just looks up and let's out a whine. "It was Sebastian's master Zeleix, a friend we had made just a little more than a day ago, who died in that alleyway. We were discussing the idea of forming of a group when this all happened. In fact, we had just agreed on calling ourselves the Knights of Shadow when we realized that Zeliex and Sebastian were missing." She pauses a moment to reflect on this, still apparently in shock and disbelief. But in an attempt to cheer herself up, she looks back at Rune and says, "Well, anyway...I think we owe you a drink at the very least...perhaps when the constables tell us we are free to go."

Meanwhile, Varian, Leon and Sergeant Ragnol reach the stables and proceed to the stall where the body of Zeliex is laying. The sergeant then kneels down and pulls back the blanket to reveal the pale and blood covered corpse. A quick examination with the aid of the sergeant's lantern shows that the body is almost completely drained of blood. But aside from a few bruises around the face and neck, the only visible injuries to the body are what appear to be teeth marks, including two deep puncture wounds at the side of the neck. Seeing this, the sergeant pauses for a moment as if to collect himself. Then he looks up at the two standing next to him and says, "Well gentlemen, it appears your story checks out. And I would say that you are fortunate that the creature disappeared when it did. I have seen this sort of thing before...Your friend here was apparently attacked by a vampire."

Marley117
01-17-2010, 03:40 PM
I walk with them coldly, not even trying to hide the fact that this just doesn't sit well with me. They can't be bothered to show up until after everything is over with, and then they proceed to blame us for this murder, or at least share not very veiled accusations. Nothing is sitting right in this town.

Asylums, crazy people, and now murders.

I open the door to the barn and follow the rest in after they move through. I listen quietly to the murmering as the group goes over the body. The only emotion I show is when they finally stand, and it is nothing more than irritation as I cross my arms.

In a sudden moment I want to be sick. I can feel the blood covering me, and Zeliex's unmoving body right in front of me. Everything is just too real. The men speak however, saving me from my own mind for the moment.

"Vampire?" I stutter...blinking in a moment of confusion. "So you know these things are out there...and....well what is being done?"

sahelfootball82
01-17-2010, 08:55 PM
"I'm sorry, Cissenei. I completely missed that. I have been a bit preoccupied lately as it is, and with everything that keeps happening with this whole situation my thoughts certainly weren't on any names. Aelath'ali, sorry, Knights of Shadow. I would love to take you up on that drink, though. You can tell me the story behind the name while we drink." I settled back to wait until the constables finished their investigation, hoping that they would finish soon so I could get back to my search.

Azar
01-17-2010, 09:52 PM
I feel the warm embrace of Amber. I look at her. "Thank you Amber, and... I'm sorry for the way I acted. It's just... I don't want anymore death, but it seems that that won't happen. So I guess I have to live with it. It just happens, and... I hope it's just not my fault." I stand up and take a deep breath. I motion Amber to follow me to Zeliex's body.

"Come, I wish to say a prayer over his body. I would like you to be there with me. We can say our respects together." I smile and take her hand.

traesin
01-17-2010, 10:17 PM
I let Alden help me up and smile at him. "We all have things that haunt us at night. But I think if we stick together, we can overcome it," I say while I walk with him towards the barn holding his hand.

Arkhemedes
01-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Sergeant Ragnol looks at Leon with an incredulous stare that turns to anger and says, "What do you mean "What is being done?" Have you ever hunted down a vampire before? Do you even know how to...or how to kill a vampire? If so, I would be glad to hear all about it. Maybe you can teach me a thing or two. If not, then maybe you'd better let the constables worry about what's being done."

As Alden and Amber start to walk away, the constable, Estran, says to them, "Whoa, hold on there a minute. Where do you think you two are going? Didn't you hear the sergeant? Nobody leaves until he gets back. You two don't listen very well do you? Now, get back over here. You can pay your respects later."

traesin
01-18-2010, 12:10 AM
"Oh I'm sorry. It's been....It's..." I gesture towards the alley. "We will stay. Come sit back down Alden. We don't want to cause any problems." I stop and start to sit back down.

Azar
01-18-2010, 11:02 AM
I stare at the constable, my eyes fixed on him. I just walk away, and without words. I mentally try to break him with my stare. I walk back with Amber.

Intimidate Roll

Arkhemedes
01-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Sergeant Ragnol pauses a moment after his last outburst, looks down at the body laying in the stall in front of him and seems to collect his thoughts. Then looking back at Leon, he says, "I'm sorry. You've just lost a friend and witnessed what I'm sure was a rather traumatic sight. I have no business taking my frustrations out on you. It's understandable that you would have your concerns. It's just that I find situations like this to be very stressful...I'm sure you'll agree. But I assure you that we will do all that we can to find this creature...whatever it may be. But you must understand that it will not be easy, and there are limitations on the kinds of resources and manpower that we can muster."

He looks back at the corpse once more, and covers it up with the blanket again. "Come along gentlemen. I've seen all I need to in here." He then turns to head back out of the stables.

Meanwhile, back in front of the inn, constables Gilos and Jakome return to the group gathered there after examining the alleyway across the street. Gilos carries something in his hand that emits a glowing red light. He approaches Estran and says to him, "Hey, take a look at this. What do you make of it?" But Estran barely acknowledges him as he is too busy staring intently at Alden. Realizing he is being largely ignored, Gilos asks Estran, "What's the matter?"

Without taking his eyes off of Alden, Estran finally answers Gilos by saying, "That one there..." He nods in the direction of Alden. "Keep an eye on him. He's a trouble maker."

Gilos looks over at Alden, but doesn't appear to give it much thought.

At about that time, Sergeant Ragnol walks up to the group with Varian and Leon right behind him. The sergeant looks at the glowing red object in Gilos' hands and asks, "Well, did you find anything in the alleyway?"

Gilos responds, "Other than a lot of blood, and some trash, just this." He holds up the glowing red marble for all to see.

The sergeant, scrutinizes the strange looking object for a minute, obviously trying to discern its true nature. But Varian, apparently not wishing to deal with another line of questioning, rolls his eyes a bit and says, "It's a marble with a Light spell cast on it. That's all it is. Amber cast the spell to light up the alleyway before we entered it." The sergeant turns to Varian with a look indicating he would like more information. So Varian continues. "It's glowing red because it's covered in blood...My guess would be that the spell won't last much longer. It should end pretty soon." Varian then glances over at Amber and as he does so, his expression suddenly changes to one of mild alarm, as though it just occurred to him that perhaps he should not have said so much, especially considering Amber's reluctance to reveal her powers. Without uttering a sound, he then looks at Amber and mouths the words, 'Oops...Sorry.'

Sergeant Ragnol looks over at Amber with a curious look. Then he turns back to Gilos and takes the marble from his hand. "Hmm...I see," he says as he rubs off some of the blood. Palming the marble then, he looks up at the group and announces, "Well...it appears your story checks out alright. But before I let you go, is there anything more that you can think of that might help us to track down whatever it was that did this?"

traesin
01-19-2010, 03:09 AM
As Varain tells the seargant about the marble, I stiffen a little. I see him look at me and mouth "I'm sorry". I give him a slight smile.

Marley117
01-21-2010, 01:34 PM
I shake my head curtly, just ready for the night to end. Suddenly a thought dawns on me, and I look up at the group of men. "You are right. Tracking and hunting something like this can't be easy. If you would take my help, I offer it willingly. I honestly can't sit by knowing that that is out there, and I doubt highly I will be getting any sleep." I turn and look at the rest of the group, my eyes pleading. This is exactly the sort of thing our little troupe should be doing.

sahelfootball82
01-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Leon's pleading eyes were easy to read, he was hoping more of us would offer. I sigh, knowing that this will probably turn into a very long night at this rate but if we can find this creature maybe he will know something.

Stepping in beside Leon I say, "I will also lend my aid in whatever capacity might best aid this group. To any that know, is this creature magical in anyway, any sort of magic residue or trace that it might leave in its wake?"

Arkhemedes
01-21-2010, 08:58 PM
In response to Rune's question, all those around can only answer with shrugs and blank stares. Sergeant Ragnol looks at the group of adventurers somewhat dismayed. "Well gentlemen...and ladies," he says as he acknowledges everyone. "I don't know what to say. But without some kind of lead, we really have nothing to go on here. And I have no idea if the creature is magical or not. But I'm wondering if it would really matter. Do any of you have the means to track down a magical creature?"

Varian shakes his head. "I have access to a spell that may be able to detect undead. But I would have to pray for it. And unfortunately, the duration and the range of the spell is very limited. Plus, I have been told that divination spells of this type are very unpredictable and quite often don't work at all. I'm afraid it would be a real shot in the dark at best."

"Let me ask you this then," Sergeant Ragnol says. "How long have you been in town, and do you have any idea why this creature attacked your friend?"

"We've only just arrived a couple of hours ago," Varian says. "And to be honest, we don't know why it might have attacked our friend...but..." Varian looks over at Alden as if to say, 'Sorry, but I think it's important that we be truthful here.' "...It would not be the first time we were attacked in the past few days, by a monster that seemed to be hunting us for some unknown reason."

"I see," says Ragnol. A stern look of determination then appears on his face as though he has just made a decision that he is not particularly fond of. "Well, I can assure you that we had no vampire problem prior to your arrival here. And by the looks of it, the trouble is following you. So, believe me when I say that I take no pleasure in telling you this, but come the dawn, I expect to see you folks setting out and headed on your way to where ever it was you were going when you got here."

A look of surprise appears on the faces of at least a few of the band members. Then Varian asks, "What about our friend? The one who just died?"

The sergeant asks, "What were you planning on doing with him?"

"We were going to give him a proper burial in the morning."

"Fine," the sergeant responds. "But you'll be leaving town immediately afterwords. Understood?"

sahelfootball82
01-22-2010, 02:16 AM
I just stand there for several moments, stunned to silence. "I only just got here, I haven't even had a good night's rest and now I have to leave?" I think to myself. But my trouble magnet, and in-as-much my hope for information, looks like he will be stuck leaving in the morning, and where he goes, I go.

I look to Alden, anxiously waiting to see what his response is.

traesin
01-22-2010, 02:44 AM
My shoulders sag and with a resigned look on my face, I nod. I quietly stand up and head into the inn and up to my room.

Arkhemedes
01-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Sergeant Ragnol looks over at Rune and says, "Oh...well, since you were not a member of the group who seems to be followed by trouble, you are excluded. You are free to stay in town if you'd like. Makes no difference to me." Turning to the others, he continues, "But the rest of you have to go."

Azar
01-22-2010, 07:37 PM
I stand up and say to Rune, "You shouldn't follow us. It seems that we leave destruction in our wake." I follow Amber.

Once I catch up to her I say, "Thank you Amber so much." I smile and hug her.

sahelfootball82
01-22-2010, 08:15 PM
As Alden and Amber begin to walk away I am only a step behind them, bidding farewell to the Sergeant and his men before hurrying to catch up with the other two. Once I am along side the two of them I speak without even looking at them.

"Alden, I know you don't want any injury to befall anyone because of your 'unluck' or misfortune or whatever. However, I have reason to follow you BECAUSE of that exact fact about you. If misfortune follows in your path then you could use an extra sword who has seen a few scuffles and survived to tell the tale. And I am banking on the hope that maybe, just maybe, the misfortune that follows you may some day have a connection to the fiends that I am hunting. With no leads on where or how to find them, a person who attracts trouble seems like the best option I have. I will be following where you go, whether you want me around or not. The only difference will be how close I sleep and how quickly I can lend you aid."

Once I finish my piece I fall back so that I am walking several paces behind them. The ball is in their court and I will wait to see what my future holds.

Arkhemedes
01-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Cissinei and Varian, both still very dismayed by the events of the evening, follow the others back into the inn, making sure Sebastian comes along as well. When Rune falls back behind Alden and Amber, Cissinei says to him, "I would like to buy you that drink now if I may." But seeing Amber turn to head upstairs, she calls out to both Alden and Amber, "Wait everyone. Before you turn in for the night, I think we have some things we need to talk about. Please, come have a drink with us. We really need to talk."

Marley117
01-22-2010, 11:35 PM
I let out a long sigh and rub my bleary eyes, suddenly tired. "A drink....that would be nice." I say, turning toward the bar and taking a stool. "We do have an early morning though, you know what with being kicked out and all." The last part goes up a level, and I half glance at the retreating men.

"Makes sense. You know, we get attacked and our friend is murdered. It only makes sense that we have to leave." Anger and irritation are evident in my voice, but I shut up after that. "Well...really no use complaining." I turn toward Varian and Cissinei. "What shall we discuss?"

traesin
01-23-2010, 12:53 AM
I give Alden a slight smile as he hugs me and turn around when Cissinei calls. I go and sit down with them to see what needs to be discussed.

Azar
01-23-2010, 01:40 AM
I look over at Rune, "Well, I guess another sword would be good. I just hope you're good with it." I smile at him, shaking his hand.

As Cissinei calls out to both Amber and I, I turn around, my arm still around Amber. "Water sounds good, after me being a jackass. I think I'm good without ale in me." I laugh.

Arkhemedes
01-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Once the group gets seated around a table in the barroom, they begin to notice quite a few people glancing over at them nervously, some even staring at them. But as soon as any member of the group turns towards them, they look away or down, clearly avoiding eye contact as though they have reason to fear them. These all appear to be old folks for the most part, commoners simply dressed in their work clothes or traveling clothes. It is obvious none of them wants to start any trouble with the group. But it is also obvious that they have overheard much, including Leon's last remarks about being run out of town, and are anxiously awaiting the group's departure.

After glancing around the room a bit, Varian looks at his companions and says, "Well, I for one, am starting to think we can't be leaving this town soon enough." He then waves at the barmaid, motioning her over to take their orders. The barmaid slowly and reluctantly does so, as though she too would like nothing more than to see the group leave, but does not wish to start any trouble.

After getting their drinks, everyone turns to Cissinei and waits for her to begin explaining what it is she thinks needs to be discussed. She then starts by saying, "Well, first of all, I don't think we have properly thanked Rune here for his assistance. If not for him...well, let's just say I don't think anyone else here would have come to our aid.

"Secondly, I think we need to discuss what we might do about this..." looking about nervously, she continues in a hushed voice "...vampire. Perhaps this attack on our companion was simply a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But I would rather not go on that assumption. I think we need to protect ourselves anyway we can. For example, how can we be sure it won't come visit us in our rooms tonight? Now that Zeliex is no longer with us, Leon will be in his room alone. I think Sebastian should stay with him tonight, if that's alright with you Leon," she says as she turns to Leon.

"And," now turning to Rune, "pardon me for asking but, would you mind explaining to us what you meant about the "fiends that you are hunting". Could this have anything to do with what has happened to us?"

Before anyone has a chance to respond, an elderly man seated at a nearby table with another elderly man, and is overheard saying to his companion, in a very distinct voice, "Hmph! First a dark elf passing through town, now this. Where do all this rif-raf come from anyway?"

traesin
01-23-2010, 10:23 AM
I sit down next to Alden and order some wine. I Listen to what Cissinei has to say. Very quietly, I ask "What do we know about those.......creatures?"

Arkhemedes
01-23-2010, 03:35 PM
"Well", Varian says. "Based on my knowledge of religion, I can tell you some things. Umm, first of all, vampires do not care for garlic or mirrors. From what I understand, vampires cast no reflection in mirrors. Uh, let's see...Oh, they can't enter a private home without being invited in by someone who lives there...I think. And they are afraid of sunlight and running water. Exposure to either will cause them great harm. Umm...they can assume the form of a bat or a wolf, and perhaps even a rat...but I'm not sure about that. Oh, and obviously they can become gaseous as well. Umm...let me think...Oh yeah, they drink blood and the mere touch of a vampire can drain the life right out of you. They're incredibly strong and fast. And the only way to permanently kill one, other than exposing them to sunlight, is to drive a stake through their hearts. But first you have to anoint their heads with holy water or fill their mouths with holy wafers and then cut their heads off, or they can come back to life if the stake is removed. Umm...Oh yeah, one more thing; they have to rest in the dirt in which they were originally buried...before they first came back from the dead. Usually they rest in a coffin filled with this dirt, and this dirt can be defiled by sprinkling holy water or rose petals on it. Umm...that's all I can think of for now. But I'm probably forgetting something...Oh wait. There is something else. Vampires are highly intelligent and they retain any skills they might have had when they were living."

As Varian goes on and on, Cissinei's eyes and mouth grow wider and wider. When Varian is done talking, she shakes her head and says, "We have no chance against one of those things."

Varian nods his head with a downcast expression and says, "Agreed. Our only choice is to run. Perhaps by traveling in the day we might be able to lose it...if we're lucky...and if it's actually following us."

traesin
01-23-2010, 04:53 PM
"Ummmmmm.....Well. Running sounds good."

sahelfootball82
01-23-2010, 06:32 PM
As the old man at the near-by table speaks my ears twitch. I am out of my chair and next to him in mere moments. Hoping I haven't startled the poor man clean out of his good wits I stand there for a moment just staring at him, fighting the hope I feel.

"Excuse me, sir," I begin almost timidly, praying that he does not count me as rif-raf that needs to be avoided at all costs, "I'm sorry to jump in but I heard you mention a dark-elf here in town." At this point my eyes are pleading to the point of begging even though I am still standing. "Pray, could you please describe the elf to me?"

I hope beyond hope that he will answer my question rather than just brush me off as so many people have in the last two months. Vaguely I make a note that the group has been discussing what attacked them and I make a note to get caught up to speed as soon as I can, but this is far more important at the time. I wait anxiously to see how the elderly man will respond.

Arkhemedes
01-23-2010, 07:37 PM
The old man at the nearby table is indeed quite startled when Rune suddenly lurches towards him. He squints, ducks his head and throws up an arm in a feeble attempt to defend himself from what he appears certain to be a fist aimed straight at his noggin. When instead he is assaulted by the pleading question of an elf in obvious concern, the man slowly lowers his arm, turns and blinks at the elf as though he is still unsure of his safety. An uncomfortable moment then passes between the two, as the man gradually comes to the understanding that the elf means him no harm.

"By the Grey Realms," the old man says, an obvious reference to the state religion of the Eternal Order. "You very nearly scared the life out a' me." The old man then pauses as if considering whether or not to answer his question. But due either to the begging look in the eyes of the elf, or to the fear he has of the elf, the old man relents and says, "Well, I don't know. She looked like a regular elf to me I s'ppose. Not unattractive mind you, but not like any elf I ever saw before. Her skin was dark and her hair was white. An she had a sword strapped to her side. I heard rumors a' dark elves before, but never thought I'd ever see one, on a count a their evil nature and all...that and the fact that they ain't never seen outside a' the Mountains a' Misery. What she was doin' this far from her lair I can't tell ya. But I guarantee ya she was up to no good, just as sure as the dead will come back to claim this land. Take my word for it."

sahelfootball82
01-23-2010, 08:08 PM
I stand there in shock for a few moments, so thankful that for whatever reason the man actually answered me. But something continues to bother me about what he has said.

"You talk about her just walking about. Was she alone? Was there nobody escorting her? She wasn't in chains or fettered in any way?" The questions coming faster with each one.

Arkhemedes
01-23-2010, 10:59 PM
"Why no," the old man answers. "She wern't in no chains. Not that I saw anyway. And yeah, she was all by her lonesome. Least as far as I saw. So why are you after her anyway? No wait" The old man holds up a hand and looks away. "I don't wanna know. Ain't none a' my business. She tried to get a room here...'bout three days ago I think. Why don't you ask Xanthus the innkeeper? He's the one that run her off."

Azar
01-24-2010, 01:28 AM
My grip gets tighter and I know people can see the anger on my face. I blurt out, "Damn it... damn it, I wish I was stronger. That vampire will pay one day. Just like... my uncle."

sahelfootball82
01-24-2010, 01:33 AM
I bow my head to the man in wordless thanks.

"Sir, you have aided me greatly this day. As you wish to remain ignorant in the matter I will gladly oblige you, but know that I am eternally grateful to you, for you have given me hope that I may yet be successful."

Adding some flash to my mental note to get brought up to speed when I rejoin the group I quickly scan the room until I find Xanthus himself. Once I find him I approach him, this time trying to keep my outward appearance completely ordinary and calm while my soul is jumping all over the place.

"Good evening, sir." I say to Xanthus, trying to once again remain calm and cordial. I decide that if I want to get information from him I best try and appear to see things from his angle so I begin, "It has been brought to my attention that there was a dark-skinned elf in here the other day. As it turns out I am currently tracking a dark-elf myself, hunting might be a more operative word. Leads have been very slim for me so any information you could provide would be very much appreciated. I must warn you that she is dangerous and a serious threat so any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated by all, not the least of which are those in charge if you catch my drift."

Marley117
01-24-2010, 08:26 AM
My stoic stature hasn't changed the whole conversation. My arms are crossed and I have been leaning back in my chair, only nodding when I was asked if Sebastian would stay in my room. I absently rub the poor dog as I listen to Varian.

Finally I lean forward, just to put in a word.
"Well we have to leave anyway, an' runnin' will keep us alive. We will need to be very careful, but that is talk for the road."

Arkhemedes
01-24-2010, 08:55 AM
The thin and balding old man Xanthus, gives Rune a creepy stare with his slightly crossed-eyes for several uncomfortable moments before answering him in his usual slow and rambling voice. "Dark elf you say...why yes...there was one here, now that you mention it. Pretty thing." A toothy grin appears on the innkeeper's face and his eyes drift away for a moment or two as his thoughts seem to meander. But the grin is soon replaced by a frown as his eyes, one of them anyway, turns back to Rune. "Unfortunately for her, I simply could not allow her to stay here...Eh, she was causing too much of a disturbance just for being here." He then glances over at the table where the Knights of Shadow are seated as though they suddenly came to mind. "I have a reputation to uphold you know. Thankfully she left without causing too much of a scene. I believe she went on down the road to one of the lower quality inns...Eh, but if you're looking for her, you won't find her there. She's long gone by now I can promise you. I seem to recall her saying something about traveling to Karg, west of here. That's all I can tell you. Now, if you'll excuse me I have business to attend to." Xanthus then turns and walks away.

Meanwhile, over at the table where the others are seated, the conversation there has slowed considerably as they are distracted by Rune's behavior. Several of them turn to keep an eye on Rune, as Varian says in a low voice, "I wonder what that's all about?"

sahelfootball82
01-24-2010, 12:43 PM
I give Xanthus another bow of gratefulness while stammering over some words of thanks as I turn away and make a beeline back to the table where the rest of the self-named Knights of Shadow are seated. Seeing as my antics of the past moments have robbed their attention from whatever it was they needed so desperately to discuss I figure I owe it to them to at least let them in on some, though I still don't know how much they need, or like the old man, even want to know.

"My humble apologies to the gathered Knights of Shadow for my earlier behavior. I have spent the last two months within this forsaken Mist tracking someone. Unfortunately that trail has been cold ever since I entered this accursed place and I have found no leads this whole time. Not even a mention of a dark-elf even existing. I was quite honestly beginning to wonder if the people here had ever even heard of one. But the old man seated behind you mentioned one, and though vague enough to fit any number of dark-elves it still fit the one I track. I talked to Xanthus who said she was through here a few days ago saying she was headed on to Karg. Alden, I know I said I would follow you and provide a blade that has seen a few fights of its own, but I now have a specific heading of my own.

"Seeing as you yourselves are being forced out of town far quicker than you expected I can imagine that you might not know where you are headed next. To any and all of you that would desire so I will not at all refuse your company, and yes Alden I do most fervently include you in that, trouble and all. I say bring all the trouble you want down upon me, nothing will stop me from finding my mark. I leave for Karg as soon as your ceremony is done for, Zeliex was it?"

I stop, realizing that I have begun to talk very quickly, hoping that I got everything out right, since this is not my native tongue at all. I look around the table to see what their reactions are.

Arkhemedes
01-24-2010, 01:16 PM
"Well," Varian says to Rune. "It just so happens that we were headed west as well, though not by any particular route. No reason why we can't pass through Karg on the way, I suppose. And I think we'd be glad to lend you a hand.

"But let me ask you something else if you don't mind. You say you've only been in this land for two months? I guess that would explain the strange accent. But this dark elf you're after...I assume she is not from this land either. Is that right?"

sahelfootball82
01-24-2010, 02:48 PM
I open my mouth to speak but stop before anything comes out. I have spent the last two months fearing to speak truthfully about anything dealing with her, but these people are different. They walk differently, talk differently, they just have a different air, like they aren't somehow chained to the Mists around them.

Leaning in I speak quietly, "I will tell you all you wish to know to any who would wish to hear, but this is not the place. Too many unwanted ears with too many powerful prejudices. When we finish here I will retire to my room, any who wish to know more may come with me, to those who do not wish to know, I understand entirely. Though I would ask to be filled in on what I missed."

Arkhemedes
01-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Varian glances around. "Mmm...perhaps you are right," he says quietly. "It's not so important that we can't wait to discuss it on the road tomorrow. As for filling you in on what we've been discussing...well, just know that we've decided it would be best to make a run for it, rather than to try and take on this...creature that killed our friend. The rest we can talk about on the road tomorrow as well."

Varian pauses a moment, then says, "Well, unless there is anything more we need to talk about tonight, I think we should call it an evening and retire to our rooms." He looks over at Cissinei to see if there is anything else she wanted to discuss. But she just shakes her head, 'No'.

sahelfootball82
01-24-2010, 04:22 PM
To the group as a whole I simply add that there is nothing else pressing that I must know. Turning to Chissenei I add, "Though I wouldn't mind hearing the story of what has Alden so on edge. It seems a bit touchy for him, and I know what it's like to dredge up painful memories. I'm sorry if it is hard on you as well, I just thought it might be good to know if I will be traveling with you long. If you would like, I could buy a drink for you."

traesin
01-25-2010, 01:20 AM
With that I head up to my room. I hope that Cissinei stays down stairs with Rune. I want to be alone for awhile and with us sharing rooms, that is hard.

Arkhemedes
01-25-2010, 12:39 PM
"Well," Cissinei turns towards Alden and back to Rune, "I wouldn't mind having another drink with you. But I would feel uncomfortable telling you what I know about Alden's past. Perhaps that is something that Alden should tell you himself." She turns to look at Alden again and back to Rune once more. "But if it's alright with Alden, I guess I would be okay with it."

Azar
01-25-2010, 01:13 PM
I pop my neck and walk away. Without turning I say, "Do what you wish. I don't care anymore. I'm going to get some rest. I'll guard the rooms tonight." I walk up stairs, and take off my armor. I put my sword as close as possible to me, just in case something happens.

Arkhemedes
01-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Varian watches Alden walk away, then turns to the others there and shakes his head with a grimace. "When I first met him just a few days ago, he was so very optimistic and eager to become an adventurer. A lot has happened since then...and he has changed quite a lot in such a short amount of time." He pauses a moment, then says, "Well, I think I'll be heading upstairs too. We have some unpleasant business to attend to tomorrow and I'm sure I'm going to need all the rest I can get."

Leon, is not far behind, and he leads Sebastian upstairs to his room, leaving Cissinei and Rune behind to talk. Cissinei then tells Rune what she knows about Alden's troubled past, which isn't a great deal. But it is enough to understand why Alden has such a hatred for vampires, and the main reason he believes he is cursed. She also tells Rune what happened to them a few days ago at Ardmor's Inn and Trading Post. All the while she makes certain to keep her voice very low to be sure that the other patrons of the inn do not overhear her, despite the fact that they still occasionally glance over at the two with inquisitive eyes. To them however, it would appear that the couple in the corner had other things on their minds than what they were discussing. This thought occurs to Cissinei as well - but she does not mind in the least.

However, once her story is told, and indeed it is the only story she knows, she becomes very despondent once again, realizing that the only part of her life that she can remember is a part she wish she could forget. So, after thanking Rune for the company and for his assistance, she excuses herself and slowly makes her way up to the room that she shares with Amber.

Meanwhile, in another part of town, constable Estran makes his way down a cobblestone street holding his lantern out before him. With wide eyes and trembling hands he turns and heads into a dark and narrow alleyway. A short ways into the dead end passageway, he pauses and searches around in front of him as he moves the lantern's beam about. But he fails to notice the menacing figure standing right behind him, cloaked in shadow.

The constable jumps with a start as the dark figure emerges from out of the shadows with an audible footstep. Nearly frightened out of his wits, the scared constable quickly whirls around and shines the lantern on a tall man with a pale, emaciated face, dressed all in black, and with the hilt of a sword forged of black metal protruding from beneath his cloak.

"Get that damn light out of my face you fool!" the man in black yells at him. When the constable does as he is told, and shines the light elsewhere, the man in black continues. "Now then." he says in a sinister voice. "Do you have anything to report?"

Constable Estran nods his head and stammers out, "Y-y-yes, my master. They will be leaving in the morning. A-a-and they are now calling themselves the Knights of Shadow."

"The Knights of Shadow, eh? Interesting. And what about the girl? Does she seem to remember anything more?"

"Sh-she did not mention anything."

"Hmm. Is there anything else?''

"N-n-no, my master. I overheard nothing more."

"Very well then. You may go."

"Yes. Th-thank you master." And with that, constable Estran quickly scrambles away, leaving the alleyway in pitch black once again.

But soon after, a pair of red eyes appears elsewhere in the darkness, and a low hissing voice is heard coming from the same vicinity. "Ssssoo. According to the elf and your minion, she still does not remember. Too bad the elf proved to be so uncooperative. This would have been much easier with someone on the inside. We will just have to use other methods then. Continue to watch them. They could become quite a nuisance, particularly if the girl remembers too much."

"Yes, my Lord," answers the man in black.

A minute later, a lone bat is seen flying up and out of the alleyway, headed for another part of town.

Arkhemedes
01-28-2010, 07:50 PM
With Amber being the first to turn in for the night, it was a chance for her to be alone with her thoughts and to finally try and work it out in her head, everything that had happened to her since leaving her home less than a week before. But for some reason, she was constantly reminded of what her mother had told her long ago, when she was just a small child, and numerous times afterwords as she was growing up. She said that, when she was still pregnant with Amber, a gypsy woman had told her that her unborn child was destined for greatness. The birthmark resembling the symbol of Ezra seemed to confirm this, when at last Amber was born. Her mother had told her that she had been blessed by Ezra. When Amber began exhibiting her powers, it appeared that her mother was right. However, whether she was truly blessed or in fact cursed, Amber could not be certain. For it did not appear to be much of a blessing at this point. But what did it all mean? What did the gypsy woman mean when she told her mother that Amber was destined for greatness?

With these questions constantly intruding on her thoughts, regardless of what it was she had intended to ponder, she suddenly found herself becoming very sleepy. Despite the traumatic events that took place just a short while before, it appeared that all of the excitement and the subsequent sleepless nights of the last few days had finally caught up with her. Now unable to focus clearly on anything, she decided it was time to crawl into bed and blow out the lantern. And so she did. Not long afterwords, she began to dream...

...Cissinei slowly made her way upstairs to the room that she shared with Amber. Quietly turning the key to their room and opening the door, she saw that it was already dark inside. Not wanting to disturb Amber's sleep, she gradually made her way over to her bed, moving silently and feeling her way as she went along. But as she neared the head of her bed, her eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness as she noticed the moonlight streaming in through the window. Remembering the odd view they had just outside their window, Cissinei was gripped by a brief episode of curiosity and decided to take gander at the Clangor Asylum before turning in for the night.

Peering out of the window, Cissinei caught a glimpse of movement inside the walled grounds of the asylum. It appeared to be a roughly man-shaped shadow that disappeared behind a large stone column at the edge of a wrought iron gate. Thinking it rather strange that an inmate of the asylum would be allowed to wander about so late at night, she continued to look for any further movement. It was then that the dark figure stepped out from behind the column in full view, as if it were deliberately taunting her. A shudder passed through Cissinei, as she suddenly realized that she recognized the dark silhouette now standing there and looking up at her.

Cissinei let out a gasp and quickly moved away from the window. The sudden noise and movement was enough to awaken Amber and she bolted upright in her bed as if awakening from a nightmare. With both girls now feeling disoriented and startled, it took a few moments for each of them to gather their wits about them. When Amber then asked Cissinei what the matter was, she told her that she saw the vampire outside their window. She was certain of it. But when they both took another look, there was nothing to be seen.

It was sometime later before either of them was calm enough to crawl back into their beds, and later still before they actually fell asleep. But despite their fears, they all, the Knights of Shadow and their new friend Rune, made it through the night unharmed. For some, the morning sun came too soon. For others, it did not come soon enough.

Marley117
01-29-2010, 08:32 AM
I roll out of bed more tired than I was when I crawled in. 'Sleep' didn't help anything much. I let out a groan as I rub my face and close shorn hair. Sebastian lets out a whine and I look down at him sympathetically. "Rough night for you too?" I ask, pulling on my armor and grabbing my pack and sword.

"Guess we better take you outside, let you do your business." I step out quietly, aware of the fact that no one is really making much noise, and head downstairs and out into the morning light.

Light. It is hard to say how it feels to make it to another morning after a night in hell, but a smile crosses my face. "Go on boy, I am here."

Azar
01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
As I see Leon walk out, I nod to him. "Hello friend. How was your night?" I say yawning.

Staying up all night wasn't probably the best idea, but it had to be done. "I'll wait for everyone. You go ahead and let Sebastian do his business. And why don't you get something to eat?" I say with a smile. My stomach growling as well.

sahelfootball82
01-29-2010, 06:08 PM
I wake up with the dawn, well rested and ready for a new day, excitement running through my blood at the very thought of being back on her trail. Getting up I walk over to the wash basin, fill it with the water in the pitcher beside it, and proceed to splash my face with it. I never did like the feel of cold water on my face, but it certainly does the trick to remove any traces of sleepiness from myself.

Quietly checking outside I say a quick hello to Alden who had apparently spent the whole night on watch. He looks tired enough to have dozed off a few times in the night, but not that it seems to have mattered at all. Back in my room I close the door and do my usual routine of stretches and practices to make sure I am well prepared if trouble comes my way.

During my stretches somebody gets up because I hear Sebastian as he is taken outside. Having heard what happened the last time someone took Sebastian outside I hope silently for nothing to happen this time. Once done with my morning routine I head to the common room to get something to eat before the ceremony for the Knight's fallen friend and then hitting the road.

traesin
01-30-2010, 09:41 AM
I wake up and wonder where I am. Then it dawns on me and I let out a deep sigh. Kicked out again. Will I ever be wanted? I get up and splash water on my face and get dressed. I look over and see that Cissinei is stirring too. I take a deep breath "Cissinei, I have something to tell you. I had a dream last night and it involved you." As soon as I have her full attention, I tell her about the dream.

Arkhemedes
01-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Cissinei listens to Amber describe her dream. When she is done, she says to Amber, "I think you should tell the others about your dream. They need to know as well. I mean, your dream may have been just that...a dream. But I suspect otherwise. You see, I had a dream as well...or rather, I think I'm remembering more things." Cissinei gets dressed then and prepares to go downstairs with Amber.

Meanwhile, Varian also gets ready for the day while thinking about the unpleasant business that will start the day off. He recalls waking up a few times in the middle of the night and seeing Alden sitting there in his bed, in the darkness, and trying his best to stay awake. Why did he do that? I'm sure he'll regret it later in the day. When Varian is done dressing, he heads downstairs.

Azar
01-30-2010, 07:44 PM
As I see Amber I smile and say, "Hello. Have a nice night?" I yawn again, trying to keep awake.

traesin
01-31-2010, 01:22 AM
I smile at Alden as I come downstairs with Cissinei. "Well no. But lets all sit down and get some breakfast and then I will tell you about it."

Marley117
01-31-2010, 09:57 AM
The door opens, and Sebastian and I walk back through. Everyone seems to have woken up, so I move to join the table. "Morning." I grunt, sitting down. Now to eat, funeral, and get out of town.

sahelfootball82
01-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Just as I get seated and order some breakfast from one of the serving girls the whole of the Knights seems to congregate at once. Amazed at how well they are synchronized on timing I quickly stand up and invite them to join me.

"There's enough room for everyone," I say, sitting back down, motioning to the spots around the table. "And some food is already on the way."

traesin
01-31-2010, 11:21 PM
I take Alden by the hand and lead him and Cissinei to the table that Rune is sitting at. I wait till everyone is seated and the food has arrived. I then say "Ummm. Everyone. I had a strange dream last night." I take a deep breath. "I saw the constable talking to a strange man he called Master. The constable was talking about us. And then the constable ran off and the strange man talked to a pair of glowing eyes. And again we were the subject of the conversation. The Glowing eyes wanted to know if "she" had started to remember anything. And that they wished they could have someone on the "inside" and that the strange man should keep an eye on us because we may become a problem."

Azar
02-01-2010, 12:09 AM
I blush when Amber takes my hand. As we sit down at Rune's table, I listen to her dream and I start to understand a little.

"Even though it was a dream, I believe that it may have been more." I look at Amber, "Your powers are new and different from anything I've ever read about, except that it seems like your a sorcerer. But I don't know if that's all you are." I think of what I just said.

"I... I don't mean that in a bad way of course." I look at everyone else and say, "I just think we should be careful, and leave as soon as possible. But I would like to bury Zeliex soon," I say, lowering my head down slowly onto the table.

Arkhemedes
02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Cissinei, with her head down once again, waits for a pause and says, "And that's not all...I saw something...or someone, standing in the asylum grounds last night looking up at us. I'm sure it was that...THING that murdered Zeliex. And I'm also sure that's who Amber saw in her dream. Like she said, he's watching us." She pauses again for just a brief moment and continues. "There is something else...but I don't want to talk of it here. I'll wait until we get on the road."

Azar
02-02-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm surprised at hearing about what Cissinei saw. "I didn't hear anything last night, why didn't you get me?" he looks at her with a puzzled face.

Arkhemedes
02-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Cissinei looks up at Alden with an apologetic glance, frowns and looks down at the hands in her lap once again. "I'm sorry. I didn't realize you'd be awake. Besides, when I turned back to look with Amber, he was already gone. So what good would it have done?"

"Well," says Varian. "With any luck, perhaps we can lose him in our travels today. And the sooner we get started the better odds we have...So, we may as well get the funeral over with. I'll go ask the innkeeper if he will loan us some shovels and tell us where we might burying our friend, if the rest of you will gather your things and meet me in the stables." Varian gets up and goes in search of the innkeeper.

Marley117
02-02-2010, 07:50 PM
I sit silently, listening. It seems to be what I do more an more. I had never been much of a talker, and the gods knew our group had enough talkers, but some things really stick with you. Some things like last night, they get to you.

As Varian rises, so do I. I quickly grab my pack, calling Sebastian with me, and head down into the barn. I lay my things down, and kneel, a prayer whispering from my lips as I wait for the rest of the Knights.

Arkhemedes
02-02-2010, 10:49 PM
After a bit, the Knights all gather in the stables. Varian is the last to arrive and he is accompanied by the stable boy who helped them on the previous night. "Well," Varian says to his companions as he approaches them. "I do have some good news of a sort. For a small fee, the innkeeper has allowed us the use of a wagon and a draft horse, in addition to some shovels. This is Rudy," he says, indicating the stable boy. "He'll be coming with us and he'll show us a proper place to bury Zeliex."

Rudy, who appears to be about 13 or 14 years of age, is quiet and seems to have a morbid fascination with the dead body of Zeliex as he is constantly staring at it. But he is otherwise well-behaved and proves to be very helpful to the group. He mounts a harness to the draft horse there in the stalls and then hooks up a wagon to it. Then, once the body and the shovels are loaded into the wagon, he steers it out onto the road and leads the party north and out of town. He explains to the party that since the funeral is not being conducted by the Church of the Eternal Order, they will not be able to use the town's cemetery. Instead, he guides the group to a very old, long disused cemetery just outside of town. It is a long forgotten cemetery, he assures them, and says that the group will be able to conduct their ceremony there without fear of interruption.

After a short while, on this gray and overcast day, the Knights arrive at the cemetery. It is a sad and dismal looking place, overgrown with tall weeds and twisted hanging vines that are draped through the branches of trees which reflect the dead of winter and are now barren of leaves. Many of the tombstones have crumbled or are too weathered with age to be legible, their inscriptions faded by time and the grave's occupant's long forgotten. Around the cemetery is a rusted wrought iron fence, but even it is twisted and mangled in parts and entire sections are missing in others. Here and there, crumbling statues and hideous gargoyles stand as sentinels over these somber gardens of stone.

It is in this place, just inside the fence line, where the Knights find a vacant plot of land that they feel certain has not already been used as a grave site. There, while Rudy sits in the wagon nearby, and Sebastian looks on anxiously, the group begins the digging. A short while later, a grave of sufficient size and depth is produced, and the body of Zeliex is taken from the wagon and lowered into it.

Varian then pauses for a moment, to compose himself, then says a few heartfelt and respectful words over the body of a person that no one in the group knew for much more than a day. He asks that Ezra watch over the departed friend which they had met only recently, and with that ends his brief ceremony.

Azar
02-03-2010, 01:08 PM
As Varian says his words about his goddess, I say a bit of mine. I whisper, "May the Morninglord watch over the soul of Zeliex, and may his light shine the way to eternal light, and happiness." A tear runs down my face. I rub it away. I smile and say, "At least he is in a better place."

sahelfootball82
02-03-2010, 01:39 PM
I stand in silence through the whole sevice. Having never met the deceased it just didn't feel right for me to join in the memorial, even if the other's had had less than a day. I wasn't even officially a part of the Knights of Shadow at this point anyway, I was just a stranger with a somewhat trained sword. And so I simply stood behind the group, knelt with my sword tip in the ground as a show of respect for the fallen. I may not have known him, but any dead warrior deserved some respect from those who follow in their path.

traesin
02-04-2010, 02:33 AM
I stand at the side of the grave with tears running down my face. I look around to see how the others are holding up.

Azar
02-04-2010, 11:58 AM
I walk to Amber and wrap my arms around her. "It's okay... he'll be fine. He's in a better place now." I say to her gently. I rub the tears off her face, stare into her eyes, and smile.

traesin
02-05-2010, 03:57 AM
Heat rushes to my face as Alden stares into my eyes. I feel myself starting to blush and quickly look down. "I know he is. It's just..." I take a deep breath and look up at Alden. A small smile reaches my face. "With so much that has happened to us, to all of us in such a short time, I don't know if I could have dealt with it by myself. I'm just glad that I'm not alone anymore."

Azar
02-05-2010, 01:26 PM
"You'll never be alone Amber. I will protect you. I swear on my life, I will be there for you. Through the thick, and thin," I say to her. I start to blush, and a smile envelopes my face. "Now we got a long day ahead of us. Let's get ready okay?"

Arkhemedes
02-05-2010, 07:00 PM
At Alden's last words, Varian nods his head and says, "And may Ezra watch over those of us who are left behind and guide us in our travels." He then begins piling the dirt back into the grave, and is soon joined by the others with shovels. The work continues in a somber silence until it is finished a short while later. When it is done, Varian uses a couple of fallen branches and a piece of twine to fashion a sort of cross, which symbolizes the Sword of Ezra. On the 'hilt' of this 'sword' he carves the letters 'R.I.P. Zeliex 741 B.C.' and plants the symbol 'sword tip down' at the head of the grave to serve as a head stone.

With the conclusion of the funeral, the Knights of Shadow and Rune quietly walk back to the wagon with heads held low. But they are startled by the sudden cawing of a raven that sits on a nearby tree branch. It observes the party for just a moment. Then it flies away into the gray skies above, once again cawing as it does so. With a look of trepidation being passed around the faces within the group, they begin the short trip back into town.

sahelfootball82
02-05-2010, 09:11 PM
As the group heads back to town I can't help but think about how much the statues near the asylum resembled the ones that were responsible for starting me on the two month journey that I was still on. Such ugly, grotesque beings. Hoping someone in the group may be more knowledgeable than I about things within this Mist I speak up.

"Did anybody happen to notice those strange statues around the cemetery? Just wondering if anybody knows what they are meant to resemble." I ask flippantly.

Arkhemedes
02-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Varian asks, "You mean the gargoyles? I believe they are some kind of demonic beings intended to be guardians over tombs, buildings and such...though who knows what other things they might guard or masters they might serve?"

sahelfootball82
02-05-2010, 09:54 PM
I listen intently as Varian describes the fiends. At least now I know what I'm looking for, but if these are merely servants then there my wrath until now has been misplaced. I decide that I will have to track down the one who controls them if I want to unleash judgment, but first I have to track down the elf, that is the biggest priority right now.

"Thank you, Varian, for that information. It actually helps a lot."

I finish walking back to town in silence, lost in my own world of thoughts.

Arkhemedes
02-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Shortly before noon, the Knights of Shadow and Rune, still quiet and reserved and wearing downcast expressions, arrive at the inn once again where they stayed the previous night. As they a approach the inn, they spot a stranger standing at the steps of the inn, as though he was about to enter. But his sharp eye appears to take an interest in the group and he turns to watch them as they draw nearer.

Tim Proctor
02-06-2010, 11:18 AM
A man of slightly higher than average height eyes the group and the Knights as they walk towards the inn, his arm falls down touching a hard object on the inside of his courteans court as if to be reassured that it is there. He has fiery red hair, a sign that the man is part fey and has the blood of creatures of magic and darkness running through his veins. The courtesans outfit resembles that of the lesser nobles of the kingdom with an emblem of the University of Il Aluk patched onto the left breast pocket. The man looks as a man that once was in great shape but now has a gut and the beginning of fat buildup on his lower chin from no doubt drunken debauchery and not the exercise to remedy it.

He takes a deep breath as if a man that is about to jump off a cliff, and approaches the best dressed and most noble looking.

"Commander, I am Attorney Locke with the Magistrate's office. I am here investigating the events of the last few days here at this inn, I will need your assistance".

There is a clear edge of nerves in the man, as he seems ready to draw a weapon, run, and debate at the same time.

Arkhemedes
02-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Varian and Cissinei both look at each other, as if they have no idea who the man is talking to. Then with a half grin, that he tries hard to hide, he turns to Alden and says, "Well, Commander Alden. I'll let you speak with the man while I help the stable boy put the wagon away." He turns to do this, trying very hard not to laugh as he does so.

Marley117
02-06-2010, 01:55 PM
I shake my head sadly as I look at the man, then back to 'commander' Alden. After that ceremony though, mirth is hard to find. "I will help you Varian." I say somewhat somberly, following into the barn, Sebastian at my heel.

Azar
02-06-2010, 02:16 PM
I look at them and say, "What!?" as I see everyone walk off I sigh. I say to the newcomer "Okay, lets sit down." I let him enter the inn first, and pick the table. "So how can I help?"

traesin
02-06-2010, 04:18 PM
I place a hand over my mouth and try not to smile as Alden is called "commander". As Alden and the Attorney walk into the Inn, I follow behind and sit down at the table with them, giving Alden a reassuring smile.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Arkhemedes
02-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Cissinei follows the others into the inn, and once they have all sat down, she says to the attorney, "I don't understand. I thought the constable told us to get out of town as soon as we were through burying our friend." She looks at the man with a genuinely confused expression.

Tim Proctor
02-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Matt takes them to the farthest table from the door, away from prying ears. He also chooses his seat so the he can see the door and everyone that walks in.

"Indeed, you will leave here shortly as the Constable said, but a bit presumptuous and not knowing the fact that our investigation hasn't happened yet... we've been horribly back logged the last few days.

"I promise to have you out of here within an hour" Matt knew he needed to be out of here within an hour also.

"First things first, can you tell me everything you know about all of the deceased and the relations you have had with them."